Earthdance 2007

General Discussion about the PsyTrance scene, way of life, etc.
85 posts Page 2 of 4

jaimz

spangk wrote :
I have to say, this fencing idea is the worst yet. With so few things like this happening anymore in our ever modern world, is a loss. Wouldn't it make more sense to spend the *fence* money on extra security?

The fencing is a requirement mandated by council and police. It is to control crowd movements so that people don't spill out onto the Princes Highway after leaving the venue causing major traffic problems (which is what happened last year) and so that we can better control the amount of alcohol entering the event (because the police were concerned about the amount of dangerously drunk and aggressive people). No fence, no Earthdance.

Personally I'd rather the fence than security (although I don't believe that was an option). It's a little less intimidating, don't you think?

spangk wrote :
It just goes to show us, even though leaving the bush, bringing Earthdance to St Peters has been disappointing to some...

From what I've seen over the past few years moving Earthdance to the city has pleased about 30,000 people and disappointed maybe 20.

jaimz

ALEXUP wrote :
Just a quickie to organisers, how much was raised last year, and what was it used for?

Just curiouse as there were meant to be 30,000 +

Yeah I heard around $30k. Not sure of the exact number - I'll find out for you. It went to Oasis, the Salvo's youth support network. This year it's being split between Oasis and ChildWise, which protects children from abuse and exploitation.

More information on the Charities here: http://www.earthdance.org.au/mambo/inde ... Itemid=266

jaimz

flashfire wrote :
Beer? :? Lots of people don't drink beer. If there is no BYO, will the vast quantity of those who can't/won't drink beer be catered for?

I believe in addition to a handful of bars with beer and smirnoffs, there's also a cocktail lounge and a wine bar.

flashfire wrote :
Also, I guess the pass-outs question is highly relevant - can we leave and get back in no problems?

Absolutely, no issue. If you didn't donate the first time they'll probably hassle you again the second time - but when you donate you should get a wrist band to show you've donated, and then won't get hassled again.

People this IS a FREE festival. You are ENCOURAGED to donate. Last year there was very little awareness of this, or what Earthdance is really about. A lot of people just see it as a day to get pissed in the park and dance to some tunes. Earthdance is more than that, and that's what we're trying to bring the attention back to this year.

simon

yay for the kiddies area!

spangk

jaimz wrote :
spangk wrote :
I have to say, this fencing idea is the worst yet. With so few things like this happening anymore in our ever modern world, is a loss. Wouldn't it make more sense to spend the *fence* money on extra security?

Personally I'd rather the fence than security (although I don't believe that was an option). It's a little less intimidating, don't you think?

spangk wrote :
It just goes to show us, even though leaving the bush, bringing Earthdance to St Peters has been disappointing to some...

From what I've seen over the past few years moving Earthdance to the city has pleased about 30,000 people and disappointed maybe 20.

20? Interesting statistic, untrue, but also not really the point i was making so I'd rather let that one go.

Security Intimidating: Why? If I'm hanging out at a piss fest like earthdance, I'd rather more security, keeping an I on the drunk kids, for their own safety to be honest.

Anyway, good luck with it, usually it has proven to be a good day for many.

jaimz

spangk wrote :
20? Interesting statistic, untrue, but also not really the point i was making so I'd rather let that one go.

Well all I know is most thet people I know love the new, non-bush Earthdances, and there's usually more people on the Trance stage alone than there's ever been at all the preceeding bush Earthdances. The only negativity I've ever encountered to the concept of an inner-city Earthdance has come from this forum.

To look at it another way, the last bush Earthdances lost $2,000 (I know, I put it on). The second last bush Earthdances lost about $10,000. Last year's Earthdance raised over $30,000 for charity. Also consider the number of people who attend the parties, and remember the aim of Earthdance is to spread awareness. Do you think that message is better spread to a couple of hundred doofers in the bush, or tens of thousands in a park in the city?

rollyz

meh... Its all about money....... huh? :roll:

FeralBrown

jaimz wrote :
To look at it another way, the last bush Earthdances lost $2,000 (I know, I put it on). The second last bush Earthdances lost about $10,000. Last year's Earthdance raised over $30,000 for charity. Also consider the number of people who attend the parties, and remember the aim of Earthdance is to spread awareness. Do you think that message is better spread to a couple of hundred doofers in the bush, or tens of thousands in a park in the city?

Well, if the cops are concerned about the "amount of dangerously drunk and aggressive people" last year then the message probably isn't being spread as effectively as you seem to think... the only real positive I can see is basically the money-making (sorry... "fund-raising") aspect, to be quite honest...
And, although I always try to support EDs on principle, I know far more than 20 people (not including ones from this forum) that don't bother anymore SIMPLY because of the venue, and many more like me that only go "because it's EarthDance".

Just so you know the ACTUAL facts of the matter, and not just what your circle of friends and fans tell you when you all sit around patting eachother on the back...

rollyz

Maybee its time that Earth Dance should start spawning? It must grow, spread the word, till the whole world dances together! :D

Guess its time that there is a event in Sydney, Newcastle, Wollongong, Cooma, Bathurst, Dubbo, Wagga, Tamworth, Byron, Broken Hill etc etc. Time all you experienced Earth Dancers go forward and Multiply.... till the world is one!

All the money made in Sydney can help support the new ED events :P

solconnection

i was sorry to see the bush earthdance go, always a real highlight of the year. However ive really warmed to the new innercity format, i love it for what it is :) very casual and friendly and diverse...lots of people coming out of the woodwork, always seems to be a great vibe and music you wouldnt get at a doof....and its free. I really dont see the problem..for what you get, security/fences/gold coin donation doesnt seem too much to ask

really lookin forward to it again this year

have a nice day
-Dan
PS. from the website: "
Your donation will go towards activities to foster community participation in arts and music in Australia, support the development of local artists and raise awareness of issues such as peace and the environment."

any info on what his specifically entails, its a bit vague

jaimz

Personally I always felt that the bush Earthdances were just doofs with a different name. The prayer for peace was always very special but other than that there was very little different from other parties. Besides, that's all in the past now - obviously Earthdance would never return to the bush. In its new format it is a unique, special event that combines the festival atmosphere, the free party vibe and the positivity of the peace movement all together.

If anyone else has any questions you'd probably be better off addressing them to one of the promoters. I don't think they read these forums.

Pete_Paranoid

jaimz wrote :
Personally I always felt that the bush Earthdances were just doofs with a different name. The prayer for peace was always very special but other than that there was very little different from other parties. Besides, that's all in the past now - obviously Earthdance would never return to the bush. In its new format it is a unique, special event that combines the festival atmosphere, the free party vibe and the positivity of the peace movement all together.

If anyone else has any questions you'd probably be better off addressing them to one of the promoters. I don't think they read these forums.

Thank you very much!

rollyz

solconnection wrote :
PS. from the website: "
Your donation will go towards activities to foster community participation in arts and music in Australia, support the development of local artists and raise awareness of issues such as peace and the environment."

Sounds like a wank way of saying, give us some money for our party.... :roll:

Pete_Paranoid

rollyz

jaimz wrote :

Maybee only YOU felt the old EarthDance was "just a doof". To hundreds of others the whole event was something very special. The old system, was a great social gathering, people got involved, and unlike the new system, it wasn't about a quick lets get drunk quick before the sun goes down party day. I know how much you despise "dirty Doofs", as you only put on "Trance Parties" so much more sophisticated! Ahhh, the day is just becoming just another Gatecrasher!

Ahh, seriously, its all good, its fantastic to see how big the event has come, and catered for the masses. Of course the general population think and play differently to our underground format, but if they all have a great day, and understand what the day day is all about then is all good. Securty guards, Berlin wall fencing, insurance shit, payed clean up crews, are all growing pains of such events. It seems a format usually only lasts around 5 years, by then the original consept has gone and grown into something else.

Its great to see promotors such as yourself doing so well. I have grown on to other persuits. One fantastic thing is PsyTrance is getting played out to the masses. Something all promotors of our little tiny psytrance scene should take advantage of events like these is the free advertising. Get out there and promote your up and coming parties, you have a new great target audience, who without doubt will want to find out where else music such as this is being played. We have all been there, so get out and recruit more new blood into the scene.

If the scene gets big enough, we can have 3 day EarthDance events in the bush, AND, EarthDance for the city folk. Who knows Earthdance may grow so big that there maybe a Country And Western EarthDance out at Tamworth with everybody line dancing :)

spangk

jaimz wrote :

People this IS a FREE festival. You are ENCOURAGED to donate. Last year there was very little awareness of this, or what Earthdance is really about. A lot of people just see it as a day to get pissed in the park and dance to some tunes. Earthdance is more than that, and that's what we're trying to bring the attention back to this year.

Sounds a good move, share the understanding of Earthdance roots. Unfortunately the flyers themselves can't convey enough to cover that scope. It would be interesting to involve many performers of varying indigenous backgrounds etc, who have a cultural dance which conveys their peoples messages relating to peace.

30 000 is a lot of people, a lot of responsibility :shock: I never ever went to a bush Earthdance. I'm sure it would have been great, however I've always loved the St Peters site though, it has a magical feel about it when the sun starts to go down. Last year was really cool, the kites and Chai tent, Krishna food, the totally rad home baked bread n goodies stall with the green health drinks. Right in that paragraph (just for starters) is three different communities for a day. I like it, not many doofs around Sydney would i see that.

If there is a genuine concern for people walking randomly all over the highway a fence would be the only solution I guess. It's a pretty radical piece of road right there for intoxicated decision making. I was completely tied up with other responsibilities at last years ED so didn't see the days events, weird and wonderful. I saw the later aftermath as well as lots of fun had over by the stages here and there during the day. I was in the general market area almost all day.

I like the Earthdance spreading idea, more small ones amongst the big ones. However.... Yes, we could *do our own* and leave the other 29,500 people to have there fun, we have ours elsewhere. But then how would anyone trying to keep a thread of doof in Earthdance, ever do it without the people who call themselves doofers? Or is that someone else's responsibility?

.....l.....
.....l.....
.....l.....
..._V_...

Anyways, did anyone check out the Perth site, very different to what sydney is doing, yet also looking pretty cool. Very diferent in ticket pricing, but looks interesting.

Bindi

If you want to experience a different side to EarthDance, why not head over to New Caledonia & see how they do it there? :)

I've been there for the last 2 earthdances & it's a very different vibe - worth checking out. And the money they raise definately goes to great local causes.

But having said that, I'll see you all in Sydney Park this year!! :dance:

(sounds like the fence thing is the same as what Newtown Festival had to do..)

more info here...
http://www.kozmixspace.net/English/Home/Home.html

FeralBrown

spangk wrote :
I like the Earthdance spreading idea, more small ones amongst the big ones. However.... Yes, we could *do our own* and leave the other 29,500 people to have there fun, we have ours elsewhere. But then how would anyone trying to keep a thread of doof in Earthdance, ever do it without the people who call themselves doofers? Or is that someone else's responsibility?

When I used to be on the Brackets and Jam commitee we tried but the all-out hugeness of the Sydney one kinda detracted from our shindig a bit, so we didn't bother anymore...
having said that, if you look my 3d post... :) ;) *nudge*
~see_wot_happinz~

:)

ATREYU

Earthdance WAS a sacred day for me that i looked forward to each year.

Much like the opening ceremony at Rainbow serpent each year the circle in the morning at ED was magic.

The Circle is the major part of the event simultaneously connecting the energies of the parties around the world. It shows the true intention of ED more than any donation.

Collectively using our collective power of prayer for peace- Remember the prayer for peace track?

Sure money for charity is good.

I just don't get how someone came to the decision to bar us doofers who supported erathdance for soo long.

Why not have a bush earthdance and a city one?

If i had the money now i would do it. I plan to do it in the future if noone else does.

I know earthdance is not only psy in all countries i think i can safely say that the vast majority of us who remember the outdoor ED's prefered them.

The last ED outdoor with Shift"änd the Aboriginal ceremony was beautiful.

ATREYU

To avoid any copyright infingement issues we would probably have to call our bush version "Earthtrance".

Lance

get it right, its earthlance.

FeralBrown

ATREYU wrote :
To avoid any copyright infingement issues we would probably have to call our bush version "Earthtrance".

Nah, not at all...
You can register with them for big ("public") or small ("private") events...

although "EarthLance" does have a certain ring to it!
we could save that tangent up for "EarthLOR!" season, though...

BTW, that EarthDance page is a bit misleading... there are gonna be EarthDance Festivals (not just the little parties) in Alice Springs, Brisbane, Byron Bay (MR. PARANOID!), Cairns, Hobart, Melbourne and Sydney...
go to www.earthdance.org for more details... it's better than the other page linked to in this thread...

tripn

jaimz wrote :
spangk wrote :

Well all I know is most thet people I know love the new, non-bush Earthdances, and there's usually more people on the Trance stage alone than there's ever been at all the preceeding bush Earthdances. The only negativity I've ever encountered to the concept of an inner-city Earthdance has come from this forum.

i agree with jaimz on this one. the bush earthdances were always great (especially 2001) but from a utilitarian viewpoint it makes much more sense to raise $30000 grand for charity and have shitload more people rock up. even if it upsets a handful of hippies who want to hold hands in a circle and think they are doing something to change the world.

FeralBrown

$30 000 000?! ($30000 grand)
You'd be buying the freedom of villages of slaves with that money, not donating it to the Salvos! :P

I reckon you just wanted to harass hippies... ;)

I think an intelligent move would be to build up the EarthDance profile and then take it back to nature...
Bush festivals are becoming really popular these days (I know, I've been involved in heaps of non-psy events- Playground Weekender (wisemans ferry), Groovin the Moo 1&2 (maitland), Peats Ridge Festival) and so, when everyone's addicted to the EarthDance concept, why not take it back to its (Australian) roots in a bigger and better way?
Makes more sense, and, when conducted on private properties means you don't have to bow to council and police stipulations, you only have to provide them with a decent battle-plan...

jaimz

FeralBrown wrote :
Bush festivals are becoming really popular these days (I know, I've been involved in heaps of non-psy events- Playground Weekender (wisemans ferry), Groovin the Moo 1&2 (maitland), Peats Ridge Festival) and so, when everyone's addicted to the EarthDance concept, why not take it back to its (Australian) roots in a bigger and better way?

Because it's in September. You will never get more than a few hundred people to an outdoor bush event in Sydney between May and September. I think you're still failing to understand why Earthdance in the city is such a success, and why in the bush it was such a failure.
85 posts Page 2 of 4