Can someone please...

General Discussion about the PsyTrance scene, way of life, etc.
31 posts Page 1 of 2
venatrix

...book Vibrasphere for Sydney?

Otherwise I might have to go to that other party :shock:

flashfire

+ 1

Woody

I'm liking this idea

Still spewing taht i missed the T-Quest party a few years back..

MeowTron

in a club??! yay!! how much would that rock?!

sorry the sarcasm lock was switched on my computer keyboard.....

venatrix

MeowTron wrote :

Lul yea I was going to add a disclaimer, *Please note, indoors at the gaylick is not an acceptable solution.

atmospsypherica

Somebody told me it is the last E C Festival. Somehow I think most of the popular artists will be locked in and not be able to play in other States. As to be NO competition around this event. A pretty huge line up and a lot of money being spent- think about it. Though I imagine the eastern States and SA are out for what your talking about as far as any artists being on contract to that event and them paying transportation costs. Maybe WA would be a exception. All this is presumptuous of course but going by what some people tell me , don't get your hopes up if you plan on bypassing this and seeing artists elsewhere.

phoney

It looks pretty good eh.

LISH
SESTO SENTO
NUMANOID
BOG
XAVIER MOREL
S.U.N. PROJECT
MICHELLE ADAMSON
NICK SENTIENCE
TALAMASCA
TSUYOSHI SUZUKI

we are happy to announce

PETER GUNN
VIBRASPHERE
AES DANA
SOLAR FIELDS
INSOMNIA
ELECTRO SUN
GATAKA
VISUAL PARADOX
FERBI BOYS
BRISKER & MAGITMAN
JAMES MONRO

Spiz says: "AND i'M SAVING THE BIG GUNS TILL LAST"

The Journey Man Project

well rumours suggest that Si Posford will be happily showing of his Hallucinogen Part 3 at it... and vague suggestion from people overseas that Shpongle may just be tempted to play live...

simon

wasnt it the last earthwhore ever a couple of earthwhores ago ?

is the "big guns" john farnham?

The Journey Man Project

simon wrote :
wasnt it the last earthwhore ever a couple of earthwhores ago ?

is the "big guns" john farnham?

Woah and the maturity level just rises and rises here! :lol:

brainstorma

how many times now has there been a last EC??

The Journey Man Project

um this would be number 2... and woop dee doo if he does it again next year.. it beats every other major doof in Aus in vibe, sounds and well... it just fucking beats them at everything :lol:

tract

venatrix wrote :
MeowTron wrote :

Lul yea I was going to add a disclaimer, *Please note, indoors at the gaylick is not an acceptable solution.

:D

10 Internets for you...keep it up ;)

Too funny.

PROTIP: Is Raptor and Fabeta Playing ?

ozbreaker

It's not so much as the lineup now, but the scratching and the late removal of big names artists without notice to get the gullible buying early. Then there's the chance of road tripping for 12 hours to see one of the big names to find out the headliner you wanted to see as well as 400 of the mics is missing amongst others and general rubbishness.

If I lived in Vic i might take a gamble but no way am i trusting spiz again after the last one ever '06 debacle.

I'm not bitter.

Kratonic

ozbreaker wrote :
It's not so much as the lineup now, but the scratching and the late removal of big names artists without notice to get the gullible buying early. Then there's the chance of road tripping for 12 hours to see one of the big names to find out the headliner you wanted to see as well as 400 of the mics is missing amongst others and general rubbishness.

EXACTLY RIGHT! Last year the list of apparently booked but not really included Nick Sentience and Liquid Soul. . .

psybercat

The Journey Man Project wrote :
um this would be number 2... and woop dee doo if he does it again next year.. it beats every other major doof in Aus in vibe, sounds and well... it just fucking beats them at everything :lol:

Fuck, what's your definition of vibe? Get to a rainbow before you ever use that word in a sentence again please. Or just about any other event for that matter...

I'm with ozbreaker, don't believe the spin.

atmospsypherica

Going by from what I have read about past festivals in the last few years. The fact that some artists don't turn up is not just singularly related to one event. If something happens it seems not uncommon for people to bitch about and question. What is worse is when this might happen to a festival that has a 0-6 Internationals. It really does put a whole in it . I could name some festivals, but why do that? Oh yeh lets be children and name shame whats cool and whats not! If a headline artist missed RS festival because the plane could not depart because it snowed in. I'm sure some people would bitch about that to be chastised by a hoard faithful RS (because it's cool too) admirers.

This is the Nature of people that I have seen since reading through forums. I have also read that GMS has a reputation not just here in this Country. It is likely that many people would not risk booking them in this Country. But just to put a open perspective on this . I challenge somebody to do some maths and work out the percentages. Name of festival / Number of festivals (yrs)/ amount of internationals/ late withdrawals- no shows.

Do people contact the artists that play at a (UNCOOL) festival and say "I'm not going to listen to you anymore or buy your CD's because your playing at that festival" Sounds pretty stupid and selfish. DOESN'T THAT. Imagine what that artist would be thinking. Do people hold it against other people, If that was the case with everyone then more then half of RS people involved in set-up etc are fence sitters and hypocrites because they also are involved with its competition.

Just a question -does everybody go to a festival because they go to see the promoter and to personally party with them because they are cool. Or do they go because their mates go and they make their own fun and good time?

I have learned by my lesson in getting angry at the things that can just happen to anybody putting on a festival in the outdoors. Flood Core. Politics and rumors are something that only ends making the person make so much a fuss about it , fall flat on their face.

atmospsypherica

psybercat wrote :

Fuck, what's your definition of vibe? Get to a rainbow before you ever use that word in a sentence again please. Or just about any other event for that matter...

Vibe is bullshit, try putting it this way. List all the internationals that have played at each festival in all the years. Then list all the ones that have played at both. Ask them why they play at a event you say is uncool. Ask how many people to honestly admit they have been to the uncool festival and why they went? Do you think that by not going you are hurting the promoter ? and what about the artists and all the other people who make a living from the industry? If everybody knew all the politics rumors BS and truth and non truth, lies etc then nobody would be going to any festival and party. The Vibe you refer to is just whats cool and uncool in a sea of shit.

Kratonic

^^ A fair bit of truth in what you say, particularly about the reasons to go or not to a particular festival. But on the topic of internationals not showing up, I'm not sure. Many don't show up because their up front fee is not paid by the due date - it's that simple. This could be because the promoter could not get the money together (possibly beacause punters would not pre-purchase tickets if it's psy we're talking about!); it could be because the promoter found someone else he would rather have and so let the first artist go, or it could be because he never intended to pay up in the first instance and just wanted to use the artists name to boost sales. I suppose that it's not possible to say which is the case for a specific event though.

psybercat

atmospsypherica wrote :
psybercat wrote :

Vibe is bullshit, try putting it this way. List all the internationals that have played at each festival in all the years. Then list all the ones that have played at both. Ask them why they play at a event you say is uncool.

Ummmm they might play both because the first promoter to book them did not offer exclusivity. That is to say they weren't prepared to cover all the travel and associated expenses themselves on top of an inflated fee because the artist needs to take so much time away from gigs in Europe for the extended travel time required to/from Australia. The artist then needs to organise other gigs to make the Oz experience worth his or her while. Or do you believe they come out here to play just for the sheer love of a 500 gurning hippies who, in reality, for the most part couldn't ID even one of their tracks?

Ask how many people to honestly admit they have been to the uncool festival and why they went?
Aside from a couple of people who were operating under the delusion they will get paid for their art, no I don't know anyone who attends. Those aforementioned artists won't return either.

Do you think that by not going you are hurting the promoter ?

Yes. Promoters need punters to cover expenses. C'mon it's not that hard...

and what about the artists and all the other people who make a living from the industry?

Heheheee I don't know many that can actually make a living from this scene without other means of support but I will humour you for a moment. No. On second thought, I won't. Personally I support this scene in so many ways it would be egotistical to list them.

The Vibe you refer to is just whats cool and uncool in a sea of shit.

Each to their own. I do not believe the above to be the definition of vibe. If you can take yourself to an EC and then a rainbow and not feel the difference in atmosphere then I would suggest this is not the scene for you.

atmospsypherica

Kratonic wrote :
^^ A fair bit of truth in what you say, particularly about the reasons to go or not to a particular festival. But on the topic of internationals not showing up, I'm not sure. Many don't show up because their up front fee is not paid by the due date - it's that simple. This could be because the promoter could not get the money together (possibly beacause punters would not pre-purchase tickets if it's psy we're talking about!); it could be because the promoter found someone else he would rather have and so let the first artist go, or it could be because he never intended to pay up in the first instance and just wanted to use the artists name to boost sales. I suppose that it's not possible to say which is the case for a specific event though.

Yes you raise a lot of good points as well. But in the case of up front fees. This is a sticky issue. If the promoter of a big festival doesn't come up with enough pre -sales and doesn't commit to the contract. It can be said that is at a detriment to the artists reputation. If some well known promoter does this regularly and word does get around then why would well known internationals deal with them? They could be doing there own careers more damage then good. My understanding that the festival in question is the longest running psy festival in the Country. Yeh sure no doubt a fair bit of politics goes in with it - good bad or what ever. Truth is there is a lot of grey area in all this and it doesn't matter who the promoter it is or what festival. But this whole vibe issue is something that gets beaten up in a frenzy by people who don't look behind the curtains. Or who simply are in with the crowd to be cool.

atmospsypherica

psybercat wrote :
atmospsypherica wrote :
psybercat wrote :

Vibe is bullshit, try putting it this way. List all the internationals that have played at each festival in all the years. Then list all the ones that have played at both. Ask them why they play at a event you say is uncool.

Ummmm they might play both because the first promoter to book them did not offer exclusivity. That is to say they weren't prepared to cover all the travel and associated expenses themselves on top of an inflated fee because the artist needs to take so much time away from gigs in Europe for the extended travel time required to/from Australia. The artist then needs to organise other gigs to make the Oz experience worth his or her while. Or do you believe they come out here to play just for the sheer love of a 500 gurning hippies who, in reality, for the most part couldn't ID even one of their tracks?

Ask how many people to honestly admit they have been to the uncool festival and why they went?
Aside from a couple of people who were operating under the delusion they will get paid for their art, no I don't know anyone who attends. Those aforementioned artists won't return either.

Do you think that by not going you are hurting the promoter ?

Yes. Promoters need punters to cover expenses. C'mon it's not that hard...

and what about the artists and all the other people who make a living from the industry?

Heheheee I don't know many that can actually make a living from this scene without other means of support but I will humour you for a moment. No. On second thought, I won't. Personally I support this scene in so many ways it would be egotistical to list them.

The Vibe you refer to is just whats cool and uncool in a sea of shit.

Each to their own. I do not believe the above to be the definition of vibe. If you can take yourself to an EC and then a rainbow and not feel the difference in atmosphere then I would suggest this is not the scene for you.

and simply how does a event that has run longer then Rainbow gone this distance? and what about all those people who have been payed? But I save the best for last I read in another forum pre to RS 08 somebody bitching about there not being enough full on psy and that was very early in the piece. This person turned out to be - wait he has disappeared after copying somebody else's work. People not being payed for there work, happens in a lot of places my friend and i don't agree to it either. But rumor is just that and unless you are a party to it or representative legal/union then who are you to know all the facts? As for being specific in making a living from the industry, yes many don't of course , but to many it supplements there annual income. Also as a means to write off tax etc.

The atmosphere is what people create and without them you have nothing. My understanding people who keep away from reading all the forums and politics and go with there friends who do much likewise have a time of there lives regardless of what festival it is. By going from what I hear a lot of people in Vic do both festivals.

you suggest the scene is not for me- well it is a scene then in the way you have it in your own mind. Music is for everyone who listens to enjoy it.

Kratonic

atmospsypherica wrote :
The atmosphere is what people create and without them you have nothing.

Totally agree with that bit, and I'd go further too. The internationals might attract you in the first case, but often thay are not the most memorable part at all. Although at any given party/festival there would be one or two things I make sure I don't miss, I'm often too lazy to even look at set lists and end up just checking out a stage and staying if it suits my mood or moving on to the next if it doesn't. I think many people do the same - you discover things you never knew existed. So, more reinforcement for the "event is what you make of it".

For the record I went to EC last year (had a blast) and missed RS this year (which was a shame) - I'd have a great time at either but some of the politics surrounding the former does make me a little uneasy.

atmospsypherica

Kratonic wrote :
For the record I went to EC last year (had a blast) and missed RS this year (which was a shame) - I'd have a great time at either but some of the politics surrounding the former does make me a little uneasy.

Seems to me your being very honest about that comment. Speaking from your own experience without be persuaded by scene BS. Like with anything if you have the right frame of mind then you can make what you want from it. Nothing wrong with being aware, but taking that to the next level just jades you. You then also end up in a environment that just has much control over you as you having over it.

venatrix

If I have to fnord it then I will. It's just a mega freaking hassle because I am in Perth, can't drive, and would have lots of trouble and expense getting there, and probably none of my mates would be there.
31 posts Page 1 of 2