Say goodbye to CD's

General Discussion about the PsyTrance scene, way of life, etc.
27 posts Page 1 of 2
ATREYU

http://www.saikosounds.com/english/disp ... sp?id=7817

Could this be the beginning of the end for cd's. I personally hope so. No more scratches.
We just need some cdj's (or should i say USBJ's) that can play the sticks.
tripn

those usb things look like a load of shit. hopefully they last as long as minidisc in popularity.
solconnection

while i share your hate for cd's i get pissed off at the usb stick thing too.

pointless waste of resources, shipping etc just like cd's. best off make it a digital download and put it on your own usb, how many usb sticks do you need?

im looking forward to the day when usb (or otherwise) setups are the norm.

have a nice day
-Dan
itchytriggerniggerfingers

Isn't the idea to stop copying?
Galactic Monkey

Hmm I still think CDs are more reliable plus I have a strange attachment to those silver information packed discs that come alive under a laser beam :) :dj: But I guess you can't fight the progress huh :) 8)

By the way, agree with solconnection in regards to digital downloads, no point making a new usb stick for every digital release, that is redundant and hurts the environment more than a single cd I am sure!
ATREYU

True. It is a waste. I suppose people want a case with the music and artwork,(and with these sticks you get videos also).

I hope soon we will be able to buy all tracks we like singularly, from the artist as a digital file so that we don't have to buy the whole cd when i only like 1 or 2 tracks most of the time (if that).
S.E.T.H

while USB is a pretty cool medium.......I couldnt imagine having to carry around one per album.

I reckon most trance dj's should ditch everything and get a laptop, peformance software and Control surface. Connect to your favourite 1 TB HD.....boom
psyllium

I reckon whatever setup there is, it should be standardised.

Being able to bring along your mirrored 2 x 2.5" HDD's, plug them into a USB port at the decks. The problem there of course is there are way too many options for the human interface, everyone will want to do it differently. I wouldn't really want to be setting up a laptop + control surface + sound interface each time I play... especially for small ad-hoc parties.

Which is why I'm sticking with CDs :). I was giving MP3 CDs a go for a while there, with 320kbps MP3 you can fit 4.5 hours of music on a CD. It's all good so long as they are a recent Pioneer model... but yeah, not always the case :). And the audiophile in me screams an inaudible death, hidden by psychoacoustics, each time I play an MP3 :P.
solconnection

ATREYU wrote :
True. It is a waste. I suppose people want a case with the music and artwork,(and with these sticks you get videos also).

I hope soon we will be able to buy all tracks we like singularly, from the artist as a digital file so that we don't have to buy the whole cd when i only like 1 or 2 tracks most of the time (if that).

not sure why saikosounds is so behind on this, nearly every other online music store offers this functionality...i stopped using them a loong time ago because they just haven't kept up with the times.

reasons the old way sucks:
1. your stuck buying a whole album when all you want is a couple of tracks.
2. wastefull of resources, shipping bits of manufactured plastic around the world for something that could easily be done digitally
3. you have to wait for your music when you could have had it instantly if it was a digital download (very handy if your planning an emergency set)
4. overhead for shipping costs.

im a big fan of bleep.com and beatport.com, but not sure how they are for the doof doof stuff...i think beatport has a psytrance section, though nowhere near as comprehensive as saikosounds.

have a nice day
-Dan
Amber

im a big fan of bleep.com and beatport.com, but not sure how they are for the doof doof stuff...i think beatport has a psytrance section, though nowhere near as comprehensive as saikosounds.

I find beatport pretty good, I mostly buy prog but there is a fair bit of psytrance released. The main problem is that the digital releases often come out weeks after the CD, and depending on the label sometimes not at all. It can be quite pricey, I'm often looking at $20au for just 4-5 tracks (Wav format, $1 extra per track). On the plus side, they often offer exclusive digital releases that are unavailable anywhere else :D
SpeakaHuggers

i too am sick of buying cd's for 1 maybe 2 playable tracks....
would love to find a decent digital download store for real psytrance/dark psy...i know about beatport but im sure there must be better one's out there that are focused on psytrance...if saikosounds had pay per track digital download system i would be on there every day..(i am usually anyway)..but still hate paying for a whole album that has one decent track.

come on peoples...dont hold out on me nowww...

anyone know of a site with the variety of saikosounds,psyshop,beatspace... and the option to buy single tracks via digital download??? please???....and or are there any other sites that are as good as the ones i have mentioned (or better) that i dont know about? PLEASE THANK YOUZZZ :killah:
spangk

Unfortunately Ben there's not much more on offer, maybe few but still i find all the psy (almost all) is not available on the d/l sites. I'm sticking with buying cds.. time changes us and I have so many shifts in which songs i like on a cd. Yea i bought it for 1-2 tracks.. but I've found that can change OR I discover how perfect other songs are for other purposes. I like cds.
rollyz

I think it is worth buying the whole album, even if I dont like half the tunes. In time, I find tunes I hated, I actully like or find appropiate later on and so are useful. Also gives a better insite on the artist rathr than a track or two.
psyllium

I too like to buy complete albums. And I don't mind buying them digitally if the WAV or FLAC (lossless) format ends up cheaper than getting it shipped over.

But of course, remember to backup your downloaded tracks, they often only give you a limited download time.
tripn

personally when i buy an artists album i like to buy the CD. i like the artwork and packaging and i enjoy collecting them. i can see there are many advantages in paid downloads but not in buying these USB sticks. what a lousy idea.
KOKIDOO

i think cd 's future is going to be like cassette :| .....
i would be happy with whatever the new technology has to offer!!!! cant say no to the quality
anything that give me crystal clear sounds ..haaaaaa :bounce:
KOKIDOO

so what ?? say good bye to cdjs too hah ???
:roll:
spangk

tripn wrote :
personally when i buy an artists album i like to buy the CD. i like the artwork and packaging and i enjoy collecting them. i can see there are many advantages in paid downloads but not in buying these USB sticks. what a lousy idea.

One hundred %%%%%

Data is data, no worries, but when I start to interact with it... i start to see where i might seperate from it.. i'd be fukn that thing off straight up.. seems we'll all be converting to serato maybe, why not with this technology?? I will if this is where we're going :!: Nothing against it but i'm happy with what i have... When speaking of quality, we all know there's different views and one truth. There's what the ear hears and the mind intereprets and then there's what the body feels and the body speaks. That's it for the dancefloor. On the ipod..well that's the other truth yeah? Between the two there is a difference. 10-40kw. (or more for some lucky fkrrs)
ATREYU

Cd's/DVD's get scratched + fingerprints eventually decay the disk.
I see it as out of date tech.
bobret the hobret

ATREYU wrote :

if you treat them well they will last a long time. plus data can be lost quite easily. as one who has experienced many a hard disk crash ive always found disc to be the best form of storage for music. :)
psyllium

bobret the hobret wrote :
ATREYU wrote :

if you treat them well they will last a long time. plus data can be lost quite easily. as one who has experienced many a hard disk crash ive always found disc to be the best form of storage for music. :)

Yeah you have to treat your disks well. And keep the originals at home, I don't care what people say... if one of my CDs is going to get doofed on it'll be a "fair use" backup copy.

And don't hard disk crashes suck... my main and backup drives died at about the same time recently!
spangk

I have cd's from before i even knew much psy sent to me from kind ishlings from this forum... didn't know 'em then, these i have recently brought out of stash space and is tops. That was 10 years ago... think i'll definitely play some of it at rhythmic earth. I think in the last 10 years i've had to reburn 2 cds due to evident damage on the film stuffy and i'm sure one of them wasn't an original copy of mine. Not scratch damage but a weird corrosion thing. Data mould or something. The only other times was when there was obvious burning defects.
sman

I bought the new Vibrasphere album "Lungs of Life" on compactstick because it came with a remix pack for four of their tunes that I thought was pretty cool.

Plus, I like to get a real thing when I pay money...
mrbadgerman

The main problem i often encounter with digital downloads, because i don't use a regular site is I'll often search for while until i finally find the release i want but the site will only offer .mp3 not .wav which is bs. If your paying a similar price to what you would for a disk but you don't get the cd, case or artwork and it's in inferior quality wtf is the point? Also i use cd's for the purpose you can then rip them to your hd and put the cd on the self knowing that all your tunes are safe and sound in case mr hd decides to fry itself.
jaimz

mrbadgerman wrote :
Also i use cd's for the purpose you can then rip them to your hd and put the cd on the self knowing that all your tunes are safe and sound in case mr hd decides to fry itself.

You don't back up your HD?

I have two backups of mine. HDDs are cheap.
27 posts Page 1 of 2