ELECTROFRINGE FESTIVAL 2009

General Discussion about the PsyTrance scene, way of life, etc.
16 posts Page 1 of 1
S.E.T.H

AHHH

Once again Newcastle will open the floodgates to producers, VJ's technoheads, AV technicians, performers, experts and generally interesting people during October to host (as per normal) this years ELECTROFRINGE festival.

Exact details of all the workshops, performances, demo's, exhibits ect are not yet available online however you can find preliminary info over at....

http://www.electrofringe.net/

Myself and Russ Newton AKA Sinister Sequence will be running a ableton remix workshop and you can PM me for more details about that if your interested.

Electrofringe is one the biggest festivals of this type in the world, so If your into ya geeky technohead stuff it can be a blast.

I will try and keep this thread updated as details come in.

Any personal experiences about electrofringe are welcome here, Anyone else been, going, had a wicked time, performed there over the years?

Cheers,

Luke
psyllium

Dates might be handy :)

1st - 5th of October 2009
dicA

Hey luke, send me a msg when you know more about the wrkshp... Keen to come and check it out. :-)
VJ DAMAGE

awww. I also want to run a workshop at this, but there is always a timing conflict. dang.

have fun
Sinister Sequence

Hey All,

These are the details for the ableton workshop at this years ELECTROFRINGE

Event type: Music creation workshop for Ableton live 7 software and related artist performance for Sinister Sequence/S.E.T.H

Event title: Ableton live workshop - Remix formula's

(how to remix a track in a day using ableton 7)

Event description:
This workshop takes any group of people and gives them the building blocks to allow them to creatively construct their own remix of one of three available tracks. The suggested event duration would be 4-8 hours (prefferably 8 hours)

ENTRY GUIDELINES
- All participants should exhibit extreme interest in remixing and music production using ableton live. Experienced ableton users and masters are urged to join.

THE EVENT - Participants will each be given the opportunity to create, select or manipulate elements of sound that will combine to create a remix of an existing track. The reason we use an existing track is to ensure that the workshop has enough production elements in place to complete the task within the limited time frame. Each participant is asked to either join a "band" with other classmates or participate individually. Three songs of varying genre's will be available to all participants of which they must choose one. Once all participants are either declared "band members" or "solo artists" they will be free to begin remixing their song of choice. Only one song can be remixed per band or solo artist and no "band" may have more than 4 members.

My role will be to facilitate idea's and demonstrate production methods using a variety of "production cards" designed to ensure workflow. Upon commencement of the session I will use paper support tools and a gamut of pre made audio clips, Fx chains, VSTi patches and abletons own ALC and ALS files to ensure each project is given a fair chance to critically evolve. This workshop will be available to those from any experience level, however experienced enthusiasts or professionals are strongly encouraged to join the workshop to provide their knowledge to others. Participants are encouraged to bring their own computers and hard disk drives to provide individual ideas for use among the available ableton remix templates, possibly even remixing one of their own songs using the available "electrofringe" remix material. The only rule is that the track be made using recognisable samples from the original three song choices provided. The workshop will represent a great networking opportunity and provide flexible template material and personal assistance for participants of every level.

The aim of the workshop is to develop as many remixes as possible from start to finish within the ableton live 7 software. Inexperienced participants will be invited to form a band with lecturer Luke Burns in order to best experience the remix formula's workshop. Each participant will be ensured creative input and be invited to take the project files home for more work if they have the available facilities. Ultimatley the event;s goal will be to produce high quality remixes and provide entry level participants with a choice of more experienced producers with which they can work with to create their own remix.

Event description

Electrofringe's Ableton live workshop - "remix formula's" is run by Luke Burns, A Sydney based electronic music artist and tutor for ableton live 7 software. This workshop gives students a choice of three songs in which they can remix either as a 'band' or solo artist. Experienced producers and ableton afficiando's are encouraged to apply however Luke ensures entry level participants will be supported by him personally during the workshops and each person will be given the chance to creatively influence the remix themselves. Your own computer with ableton live installed is highly recommended however is not essential to effectively complete the workshops goal.

Completing the workshop means participants will have either joined a "band" or chosen to work as an individual to complete a remix song for submission within the final hour.
This is not a competition. There are no winners or losers, just great music, great support and great experiences.

Technical requirements / tech rider

As participants are encouraged to bring their own ableton workstations this workshop only needs one projector and its screen and one small sound system for the lecturer's station. Each student should bring their notebook computer with ableton installed, an external audio interface and headphones are recommended as are any MIDI controllers. The workshop could take place in classroom style with only tables, seats and power sockets made available to participants.
Sinister Sequence

Some Jobs are on offer with electrofringe this year.

Also though we need some more volunteers to help things run smoothly.

go to www.electrofringe.net for more details....

Jobs

We are now well into planning the festival and will be announcing several positions over the coming weeks. To begin with we are searching for:

Media & Publicity Officer

We are currently searching for a Media and Publicity Officer - please download the:

* Media & Publicity Officer PDF

and email: electrofringedirectors[at]gmail[dot]com

Electrofringe Board

Electrofringe is looking to fill one vacancy on its Board of Directors. The skills and experience we are seeking on the Board are qualified professionals in the financial, legal, not-for-profit business and fundraising sectors or you have some experience on boards or committees and an interest in electronic arts or DIY culture.If you are interested to nominate to join the Board of Directors for Electrofringe Ltd, please download the:

* Call for Board Members PDF

and email: electrofringeboard[at]gmail[dot]com

Volunteers

Completely invaluable to the festival each year are our volunteers. These people work tirelessly to help make the festival a success and Electrofringe wouldn’t happen without them.

We’d love to put your abilities to use, and right now are looking for people with the following skills:

* sponsorship and fundraising
* audiovisual technicians
* dvd authoring
* stage managing and assisting
* video documentation
* artist assistants
* statistics gathering
* info desk helpers
* anything else that might assist the planning and 2009 festival in being a super success (please feel free to make suggestions)

This is great skills-building experience and is great to have on your CV. Electrofringe is happy to provide letters confirming your involvement where required.

Contact
If you would like to be involved in any way, please email us at: electrofringedirectors[at]gmail[dot]com

Tags: Jobs, volunteer
FeralBrown

"Electrofringe Board of Directors"?!?!?!?! *smirk*

Nice to see that underground anti-establishment ethos is still running strong for Team TINA!
'spose that means no more free/gold coin entries to everything, this year?
traveller

hehe i think there has been a board of directors for
the electrofringe for a few years at least...

remember they are still taking over the local
council buildings, tafe workshops, the local park
and a few other areas for about a week, so they
would need some kind of delegates or board or somethin
to deal with all the local council hurdles for something like this.

the workshops being free tho as u said is an important aspect
of this festival, so if ppl start charging $ for them then we can
start a workshop about how charging for workshops at the
electrofringe is destroying its ethos and everyone who is charging
for their workshop is working for the man now and cannot be trusted.

:D

ps. do u reckon youll come down for this one FB?
ill be headin in there for sure again, hopefully with a little crew too :)
gogogo

S.E.T.H wrote :
AHHH

Once again Newcastle will open the floodgates to producers, VJ's technoheads, AV technicians, performers, experts and generally interesting people during October to host (as per normal) this years ELECTROFRINGE festival.

Exact details of all the workshops, performances, demo's, exhibits ect are not yet available online however you can find preliminary info over at....

http://www.electrofringe.net/

Myself and Russ Newton AKA Sinister Sequence will be running a ableton remix workshop and you can PM me for more details about that if your interested.

Electrofringe is one the biggest festivals of this type in the world, so If your into ya geeky technohead stuff it can be a blast.

I will try and keep this thread updated as details come in.

Any personal experiences about electrofringe are welcome here, Anyone else been, going, had a wicked time, performed there over the years?

Cheers,

Luke

Sounds awesome! I've always meant to come to newcastle to check this out.
S.E.T.H

traveller wrote :
hehe i think there has been a board of directors for
the electrofringe for a few years at least...........

..................... everyone who is charging
for their workshop is working for the man now and cannot be trusted.

Guilty as charged..........But still in business!!!

I have received word that the workshop event "ableton remix formula's" will be held on the friday morning october 2nd around 11am somewhere in the city centre.

The venue details have not yet been confirmed.

You might notice Electrofringe workshops going for as much as $75 this year. I have not yet been made aware if there will be any cost for the ableton workshop I will be hosting. However if there is i will be sure to let you all know in advance.
bosun

Last edited by bosun on Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
traveller

a quick look at the guide didnt indicate that any
workshops will cost money, just the nightly
gigs have a cover charge sometimes...

but yeah, while i was tongue in cheek b4, if ppl
really are gonna charge up to 75$ for a workshop,
then unless they provide some awesome stuff for u to keep
then that seems really against the whole ethos of the fringe,
and i will bring my heckling shoes for sure!

:vomitonyou:

:m:
FeralBrown

traveller wrote :
:D
ps. do u reckon youll come down for this one FB?
ill be headin in there for sure again, hopefully with a little crew too :)

LOM!
Dude, haven't missed one yet... not gunna just cuz they're all a pile of good-fa-nuthin' sellout kundtz nowadaze... I do believe (hope?) I'll be doing a fucked out bassweight set on Affected (or) This Is Not Radio (TINRadio) on the Friday night of 'fringe... so, if you don't have the collared shirt, spiffy new (heckling) shoes or $75, just sit in the car and tune in! ;) :P

PS- AFAIK the previous 'fringe situation was care of the arts council of nsw... still not sure about this "board of directors" bizniss- but hey, I play for free, and prefer people don't mention my name! :killah:
noitnemretsim

last electrofringe cost me all up 110 dollars for nearly 5 days in newey.
traveller

starts today!!!

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

hopefully i can make it to your workshop tomorrow, looks fun :D
dicA

Fukn AY!!!!!!!

Im so stoked im here for it this year, have missed the last 3-4 years... Its so worthy of the mission up to newey for this.

You get to see some of the most amazing, fucked up, cool as fuck weird shit...... too cool. :wink:
16 posts Page 1 of 1