Which city has the best outdoor parties?

General Discussion about the PsyTrance scene, way of life, etc.
42 posts Page 1 of 2
carl.schutte

Hi all

I currently live in Cape Town, South Africa... but will hopefully soon be migrating to Oz.

I am just wondering what the psytrance culture is like in Oz?
There is nothing I love more than going to a great outdoor psytrance festival during Summer.
Summer is currently in full swing here in Cape Town and that means only one thing... outdoor pstrance parties every weekend!

I must admit, it is something I would find hard to give up, especially given that I am dabbling in some psytrance production these days. I am very strongly considering Melbourne as my new home, as I think it shares many similarities with Cape Town in its cosmopolitan lifestyle.

Now if you came to South Africa, I would without a doubt say that Cape Town is the psytrance capital. We've got the right mix of people and some stunning venues only an hour's drive outside the CBD. We also have some fantastic producers coming out of Cape Town.

Now, when I come to Oz, where am I going to find the psytrance capital?
From what I've heard you Aussies are quite competitive when it comes to the state you live in... which I think is awesome!
So, without starting a psytrance flame war of sorts... lol... I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.

Can't wait to see you all down under next year! :D

Laters,
Carl
Last edited by carl.schutte on Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SpeakaHuggers

Come to nsw!!!

Sydney/Newcastle party people are a tight community, amazing people with a lot of heart,amazing venues..and the right music!!!

im extremely musically biast..so here's my 2 cents worth....

In my experience the party's in melbourne are bigger but more focused on the proggy morning day sounds...(not all the partys or crews but just generally speaking..) were as the newcastle boys and labrynth crew (south africans) focus more on the good shit and have grown the nsw scence over the last few years and at the momment its thriving!

once again i am biast since i have been doofing/djing/putting on nsw partys for over 10 years now....so no offence to the victorians as the can put on a mean show and they have a larger scene hence more access to headline acts...but if they bring out someone worth getting you can be sure they will make it up here!....except for NOISE POISON TOUR!!! FUCK SOME PEOPLE DROPPED THE BALL ON THAT ONE!!! FUCK!!!!
PRIORITIES PEOPLE!!!!! sorry need to vent.....stupidest thing i ever done was not go to melbourne for that!!!!! i still have nightmares.....

so yeah both states rock.

if you wanna here furious cosmo nights and south african sunrise check out newcastle...ill be on the dancefloor,,,,,if u want prog sessions melbourne has it all over us....

u can get prog in sydney...u can get mayhem in melbourne...

so

its all good but even if you end up in melbourne you would be mad not to come check our scene sometime...u will not be dissapointed!!!
psytata

Maybe you should meet in the middle. CANBERRA the capital... We cook up a mean bush doof down here and it 3.5 hours to sydney a bit more to Newcastle and about 8ish hour to melbourn.
Pete_Paranoid

In my (over ten year) general experience the further away from melbourne the more minimal and more intimate the parties become. Why not taste all the flavours Austalia can provide?
venatrix

as long as you pick a city on the east coast it doesnt really matter. sydney, newy, cranbrerry, mexico, cairns, whatevs :) just stick to somewhere near the water and buy a kombi :)
wizzb

don't come to adelaide :)
carl.schutte

They should do a Contiki Psytrance tour of Australia.

Hmm - not massivley into the proggy stuff - I don't mind a bit of it when the party's getting warmed up.
Generally I find the prog stuff a bit too slow (+- 135bpm) for my liking - I start producing tunes at 150bpm.

I'm more into pumping full-on, with a slight dark & twisted edge.
I like some of the original goa melodic sound, but sprinkle some nice techy sounds & effects... then u got urself one slamming tune.

Interesting, I wouldn't have expected the music to differ from region to region.

I don't know too many of the Australian producers. I've got Dreamfuel by Dark Nebula; it's a pretty twisted & pumping album. :alien:
rollyz

Come to Bathurst, we need more Psy Djs etc here. If you locate yourself here, you will be on the hypotenuse of the Newcastle, Sydney, Canberra right angled triangle :twisted:

venatrix

rollyz wrote :
Come to Bathurst, we need more Psy Djs etc here. If you locate yourself here, you will be on the hypotenuse of the Newcastle, Sydney, Canberra right angled triangle :twisted:

nice try rollyz ;)
herbsandspices

Wangaratta is where its at.
Marsoups

hey Carl, I'm from SA as well, been living in Oz since '99..

Used to go down to all the Cape Town festivals ( I lived in joburg ), from around 96 - 99 , some most joyous memories..

I would agree with you that Melbourne is most similar in terms of lifestyle etc. The weather can be quite dreadful down there, winter is very cold, and the summers alternate between hot and cold quite rapidly.. Melbourne, in general is friendly but there is a lot of 'attitude' there and cliqueyness... It'd be a struggle to get your name out there, but I guess that's everywhere, but Melbs there is a lot more competition so to get yourself heard would take a lot more.. Their psy scene there is well developed and kicking there, though it's happening in every major city there is something decent happening... I think Perth probably is trailing the furtherest behind the major cities though such as Cairns, Brisbane, Melbourne, Sydney, Newcastle, Adelaide, Canberra..

Maybe meet you around someday!! :)
TWeaKvsLiPS

Carl,

Myself( Acid Lips) and the dude I dj with (Facial Tweak) are both from Cape Town and been over here for about 3 or 4 years...Same dilemma as you :lol:

Dude if you are looking for parties resembling anything remotely close to cape town in size then Melbourne is the place.They have massive festivals with 1000-10,000 people..
Thing is the music there is GHEY!!
mainly prog and tech with a smattering of psy every now and then..there is a kru down there that throw BEAST parties but ppl are so into SHITE music that whenever they get a BEAST act the turn out is TINY and they have to throw the party indoors... (Xatrik was there a couple weeks ago and he got around 100 ppl I heard :oops: )

Sydney/NSW is much more into real PSYtrance and judging on what you said you enjoy, you would probably find the lineups here more to your liking..

We (Labyrinth) are putting on a party in April actually and bringing out Laurence (Zion Linguist) and Dark Nebula..
Mainly full-on night with a smattering of darkpsy in the middle and a touch of prog riiiiiight at the end :killah: :killah:

But yeah man it is all up to your tastes really...They are all good and after being here 3 yrs and travelling to a couple parties i don't think it will make much difference where you decide to base yourself...

There are awesome people and parties and festivals all over this country!

Just happen more frequently in NSW :twisted: :twisted:

Good luck with the choice and if you need some brasse to chill with when you're in Sydney drop us a pm..

Aweh bru
kizzle

Marsoups wrote :
I think Perth probably is trailing the furtherest behind the major cities though such as Cairns, Brisbane, Melbourne, Sydney, Newcastle, Adelaide, Canberra..

We may be trailing behind but that doesnt make us any less awesome :)
I've been doofing in perth for the past two years.. We have amazing crew and mostly smallish intimate parties but I really like that about us! it doesnt take long to get to know everyone and start becoming involved! I had never heard of doofing/psytrance/anything of the kind when i moved to perth and then i was thrown into this whole other world! And with all these beautiful people i have progressed from just being a simple party goer into someone who has learnt how to mix, played at a few parties and even organised one!
I havent been doofing over east yet but i lived over there until i came to perth and i have to say the bush scenery over east is far far more beautiful and lush then ours over here... I cant wait til I get back over there and get my stomp on in some green forest! I miss how green everything used to be...
*end ramble*
venatrix

perth doofs are indeed wicked. but i would recommend the east coast for a bunch of reasons.
kizzle

As would I..
I love the east coast alot more then the western side... but the people over there rock! I know its far across the other side of the country but i'd suggest everyone attend a doof in perth just once! for the experience :D
as for me I'm going to experience the east side of doofing this year! Muchly looking forwards to it
Cyberwlf

Back of Burke is best... Has the most killarghhh parties! ;)
kayhat

Mt Isa is a hotspot.
S.E.T.H

my 2 cents worth,

Melbourne has the most parties and the most variety, perhaps even to the point of over saturation. theres three parties nearly every weekend in melbourne and most international acts fly in to melbourne first as its where the large majority of parties receive the best turn out. Sydney has some tight crews and some great Dj's with a more beautiful city in general. Both cities throw great parties and have a good regular crowd but from my experience there are more punters in melbourne.

I dont think any city has a preference for any particular sound but its certainly true that australias most recognised progressive artists are all based in melbourne. techno is also very popular here.

I think if i had to put the most opportunities by city in an order it would go....

melbourne
newcastle
sydney

im sure someone will disagree.........but thats the nature of Australiens
Nightmosphere

Did ever occur to some of you that not everyone like 'full-on' Psy and much prefers the 135bpm Proggy stuff???

Its not 'shit'..... its just different to your tastes.
mjhassall

Hey Dude.
Lived in Cairns for about 10 Years and now in Sydney. Gone to a few parties down here and i must say that Cairns ( far north Queensland) Parties are kick ass and Stomping mad :killah: (BA ha ha ha...) Check out some websites(http://www.bushweekfestival.com http://www.wintersolstice.com.au ( They are all off the top of my head.).
The locations, people and acts just have a wonderfull and magical combination. A must in any doofers lifetime.

Anyways dude...
...Peace out...... :killah:
Nightmosphere

mjhassall wrote :
Hey Dude.
Lived in Cairns for about 10 Years and now in Sydney. Gone to a few parties down here and i must say that Cairns ( far north Queensland) Parties are kick ass and Stomping mad :killah: (BA ha ha ha...) Check out some websites(http://www.bushweekfestival.com http://www.wintersolstice.com.au ( They are all off the top of my head.).
The locations, people and acts just have a wonderfull and magical combination. A must in any doofers lifetime.

Anyways dude...
...Peace out...... :killah:

Total Solar Eclipse 2012 will be rather lovely up there :-)
NevaEndinBeats

NNSW :spliff:
tract

NevaEndinBeats wrote :

nods

8)
kayhat

phah.
Marsoups

tract wrote :
NevaEndinBeats wrote :

nods

8)

Don't listen to anything these guys say!!!

hahaha unless you enjoy underage parties, doomed to get shutdown, underage drinking, bottles being thrown around, car windows smashed, items stolen, being disrespected & taunted etc.

this counts for the majority of events in the area...
42 posts Page 1 of 2