The end of doof part 2

General Discussion about the PsyTrance scene, way of life, etc.
16 posts Page 1 of 1
theexception_03

Just reading the thread "The end of doof" and it made me think of something I would like to get an opinion on...

I know alot of 'doofers' who are really into saving the planet, planting more trees, using less fossil fuels, don't harm mother earth etc etc

BUT...

when it comes to their own bodies they abuse the shit out of them, smoking, drinking, drugs etc

The point is aren't we all part of the same universe? It's all energy. If we came from the earth and return to the earth and then abuse ourselves are we not abusing the earth and universe?
kayhat

Is there any point in having a 2nd "end of doof" thread? It's a bit of a hijack in my view, not particularly good netiquette. You could have continued on the other one or chosen a different title as it's really a different subject?

But anyway...

Most of the people that you choose to define with that rather narrow label you discussed before could be;

1. simply deluded by drugs into thinking that they are choosing mother nature over the city because they party out in the bush and get dirty.

2. generally too fucked to cope with society, that's why they feel "free" out in the bush.

3. just dumb and have no idea what it really means to care for nature.

4. using the nature rave to continue their own selfish agenda.

5. needing to get their dumb asses educated by those who know better.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a lot of people who really have the vision to be bothered telling people to pick up their rubbish and taking caer of environmental issues as they come, because all too often they start taking the negative characteristics of the points I have described above.

Others like me think that we have good enough parties already in the city to be bothered rationalising and coming up with the complex plan and budget that is nessecery to minimise enviromental impact to mostly a bunch of ungrateful sods who could give a fuck past what sound and acts you're packing. Sad reality is that most won't pay $30 unless you're putting on a wicked international because most punters are broke hippies at doofs.

Also its expensive to look after event sites, so people try to cut corners, because they'll end up in debt otherwise.

Every way you look at it, it's not really sustainable to put on doofs. It's good that people still try, but its a good idea for everyone to stop the needless consumption. Sorry everyone.
Kratonic

^ A very NNSW perspective with a slight touch of jade :wink: .
kayhat

A NNSW perspective, how so? People are a touch better in other areas, I do admit. I was merely playing to the idea that was put forth to me though, I don't really think everyones like that, just a too much of a majority.

Jade green at least. hey? :P
Kratonic

Well, I don't find punters at smaller SEQ events either ungrateful or all in need of reminding to clean up for instance. There is all ways an element of useless fucksticks who drop rubbish everywhere and have a shit attitude (come to think of it - the international headliners from a few parties I went to last year fit this category perfectly!). As an example, if the place starts to look trashy I usually find if I start a site cleanup at some point people will spontaneously join in and it's sorted in no time.

As for the payment thing, that really is mainly (but not completely) a NNSW issue where people really do have less money and a different attitude to paying for events.

I agree that what you have said becomes more generally valid if you are trying to run a much larger event and have to caste your net wider and bring people in form outside the "usual" doof community. Then all of the symptoms you describe will get worse.
treedreamer

The original irony is interesting and one i have often pondered. I think the drug use begins innocently enough and does open up different ways for the mind to perceive the self and nature - quite enlightening even. It may even help us at first. Unfortunately, it becomes the main focus and then habit, thus addiction/self-abuse. Humans are hypocritical and hedonistic. It's really simple. So, we can be earth-lovers and still get shit-faced. It's part of our charm.
deXtrous

kayhat wrote :
1. simply deluded by drugs into thinking that they are choosing mother nature over the city because they party out in the bush and get dirty.

2. generally too fucked to cope with society, that's why they feel "free" out in the bush.

3. just dumb and have no idea what it really means to care for nature.

4. using the nature rave to continue their own selfish agenda.

5. needing to get their dumb asses educated by those who know better.

So which one are you, kayhat :mrgreen:

From what I've witnessed, it seems as if doofs have become a bit mainstream. A major player in that being this existance of this forum. Directions to parties are too readily accessible. The website is far to visible on the internet, in terms of google and other search engines

There's a leak in the 'underground' society and a kid gets some directions to a party. He attends and has a ball, doesn't cause any trouble but has friends who might. He goes home and tells everyone about how great the doof was, and now at the next party you have 20 seventeen year old punks showing up expecting everyone to be wacked out on drugs running around in the mud like the stereotypical hippies they imagined. These kids simply can't handle drugs or alcohol and make a mess of things in a very destructive way, only to leave without cleaning up or accounting for anything.

This is what I have noticed as of late. It's probably too late to turn things around in any short period of time, but it's only going to get worse if this site is so happy to give out directions to just anyone.
Ugly Bunyip

deXtrous wrote :
This is what I have noticed as of late. It's probably too late to turn things around in any short period of time, but it's only going to get worse if this site is so happy to give out directions to just anyone.

Why not volunteer to veet people looking for directions. We could setup a website that needs registration and you can veet everyone to decide who is "worthy" to experience doof and who isn't.

Didn't realise doof was an exclusive society. Maybe we could have a handshake to identify ourselves at the gate.
deXtrous

Ugly Bunyip wrote :
deXtrous wrote :

Why not volunteer to veet people looking for directions. We could setup a website that needs registration and you can veet everyone to decide who is "worthy" to experience doof and who isn't.

Didn't realise doof was an exclusive society. Maybe we could have a handshake to identify ourselves at the gate.

If there were no exclusivity then I guess we can not call the parties underground... But we do?

I offered a solution, not saying it's the most loving or loveable solution but it would definitely wackytobaccy out the assholes. Problem being it would also wackytobaccy out people who genuinely wanted to party, so yes it is flawed.

I still stand by the fact that giving out directions to anyone is dangerous and organisers need to change it. Do you disagree?
groovin

As a new and young doof attender i was shocked at how easy it was to find the directions, the first few i found out about through a friends older brother and then fell in love and began the search on my own. I can totally understand where you are coming from but if it wasn't for the availability of the directions it is a scene i would have never even dreamed of being able to be apart of. So to me its great but again i understand how it can be very detrimental to these awesome underground psy events.

And due to doofs i have become obsessed with psytrance. :D
venatrix

groovin wrote :
As a new and young doof attender i was shocked at how easy it was to find the directions, the first few i found out about through a friends older brother and then fell in love and began the search on my own. I can totally understand where you are coming from but if it wasn't for the availability of the directions it is a scene i would have never even dreamed of being able to be apart of. So to me its great but again i understand how it can be very detrimental to these awesome underground psy events.

And due to doofs i have become obsessed with psytrance. :D

It's great to hear stories like this :)

Yes the directions are a problem in the sense that people who aren't welcome do find out about parties and come, but then doof is so different too pretty much everything else out there (and is becoming increasingly different as new generations come of age and have only ever experienced the repressive nanny-state rules that apply to licensed parties and venues, and the 'i don't give a fuck because that's all i see and am sold' attitude) that almost everybody goes through some sort of a learning curve when they first start coming to parties.

Being an underground scene has its benefits and also its down sides.

We aren't going to change the world, but if we can keep alive a scene where things are different and the people in it do care and continue the ideology that makes our parties different then we are winning. I think people are becoming jaded, but this is only natural. If there isn't an injection of a certain number of new and younger people who want to continue and improve on what has been done in the past yes the doof we know (or knew) will die.

If you're getting a bit cynical and jaded I highly recommend you find a small fortune and attend one of the mainstream festivals such as Good Vibrations, Parklife, Future Music, We Love Sounds etc. The vibe and attitude of the people at these parties is so poisonous and destructive you will be thrilled in the knowledge that doofs are still around. Ticket prices way above $100 for a one day party (yes they finish around midnight), licensed bar with massively inflated prices, sniffer dogs, cops, multiple arrests, putrid rubbish absolutely everywhere, and nobody knowing or caring about anyone else.
deXtrous

I just reckon they should get rid of all SEO on here so Australiens can't be found in google.
Last Yuppie Standing

I'm fairly new to this forum and this thread got my attention.
I have to agree with the above comments made by Venatrix on this issue. I'm not a massive raver but have been to both larger gatherings like Parklife and smaller ones such as those in Bamboo Forest in Goa, India many years ago where there'd be around 100 ppl.

The atmosphere in the smaller ones is more like a close bunch of mates, all on the same wavelength where a deeper connection to both the music and people around you is felt. I personally prefer these parties. These parties are great as many can attest to and we would love even more ppl to experience it. However the irony is that the bigger these parties get, the more it loses its original atmosphere. Venatrix has already given a pretty vivid image of what larger parties are like.

Thats why measures need to be taken to maintain the exclusitivity of smaller events, but extreme measures would only see the same faces attend these parties, which would also be disappointing as we would love to see new faces enjoying themselves as much.
Pete_Paranoid

(full uncut version here6:46 http://www.abc.net.au/news/video/2010/06/29/2940421.htm)

I only have been given one booking in September only, and I can't give it away it's become that bad!
After 8 years I've finally realised my competition never sleeps, and I have the mental, physical and emotional capacity to work respectable executive managerial hours of 80+ per week. Sorry but the 40 hr week is for proles, and I'd work 100+ if my body could handle it. Unfortunately most managers do office type work while my work involves a lot of heavy lifting (as well as the office stuff), so I need a day or two to curl into a little ball and forget the world ever exists. I'm hoping after a while my mind and body will adapt and I won't have to take the time off at all. I'm sick of breaking my arse for less than a dole bludger would get.
Anyway, all this is my weird little way of saying I wouldn't expect a quality doof until the spring/summer season.
I wish the happy, smiley pre-2000 doofs were still around. But the days where all we had to worry about was nuclear war and filling our tank for $30 would appear at least for time being long gone.
mrbadgerman

Pete_Paranoid wrote :

I only have been given one booking in September only, and I can't give it away it's become that bad!

Wonder why???

Anyway, all this is my weird little way of saying I wouldn't expect a quality doof until the spring/summer season.
I

Your so modest.

Funny how awsome everyone found the lighting at track 6 and psyfari huh?
Pete_Paranoid

I hate to say this, and it's a really hard call. But people think a P.A. is all about the speakers, when just like an iceberg another 2/3 are below the water. A P.A. in actual fact is more about who's running the system. Is the P.A. tuned to the D.J.? Or is the D.J. tuned to the P.A.? It really is like comparing apples with oranges!
16 posts Page 1 of 1