The difference between Dark and Full On

General Discussion about the PsyTrance scene, way of life, etc.
35 posts Page 1 of 2
lia

Another newbie thread, sorry if I start plagueing your forums, just figured that this is my best bet for discovering the inner space that is PsyTrance was this forum, and it I can find local artists and gigs too!

Now to the nitty gritty, i've looked into a lot of stuff that claims to be dark psytrance, ie Rinkadink, but am not convinced that this is as "dark" as it gets. So if someone could explain to me the characteristics of DarkPsy and post some REALLY DARK SHIT that would be awesome.

Peace
Lia
psywise

6 years on, this album still rocks:

http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display_release.asp?id=4445

Check the Iron Madness track in particular, I believe that may be the kinda thing you're after. He's gone soft on us now tho.
kathmandu

may be rinkadink is dark full on, or twilight trance!?! its been long time i've listened to rinkadink.
some popular, good, dark trance artists i like to say now are sensient, sandman, ghreg on earth!
and this video

there is so much more.
kayhat

I would classify Rinkadink as full-on.

When we're trying to find dark, we can go in variety of directions.

Some people classify dark as music that takes you on a journey of places that aren't very nice for your mind to go, some classify dark as raging 150bpm killargh, some classify dark as music that has a lot of texture and depth to it.

If you did like psycovsky, you might want to check out procs, I think that is some amazing dark stuff. Musics a bit of a personal journey, so what I can suggest for you to do is to find someone you like on myspace and go for a surf on their links.

Here's a few names to get you keen from more the russian flavours like psycovsky....

Xenomorph, Parasense, Kindzadza, Baphomet Engine, Cosmo. Now it's up to you and have fun :)
mrbadgerman

lia wrote :
Another newbie thread, sorry if I start plagueing your forums, just figured that this is my best bet for discovering the inner space that is PsyTrance was this forum, and it I can find local artists and gigs too!

Now to the nitty gritty, i've looked into a lot of stuff that claims to be dark psytrance, ie Rinkadink, but am not convinced that this is as "dark" as it gets. So if someone could explain to me the characteristics of DarkPsy and post some REALLY DARK SHIT that would be awesome.

Peace
Lia

Triplag records are pretty dark and fast, Kindzadza, Khopat and Furious there all pretty dark and solid
ATREYU

Fav night artists these days

Furious/Crazy Astronaut :killah:
Xabbu
Stereographic
Audiopathik
Cosmo
Highko
Kashyyyk (Soo awesome is so wish we could see him play up here)
Comadust
CPC
Bodhisatva 13:20

Some Fav Fullon

-EVP
-Sienis
-Ianuaria
-Jirah
-Tuk
-Chromosome
-Akin

Yet classification has become harder as music has diversified over the years. There is a style between "Fullon" and Dark psy that i refer to as "Twilight Psy". Such as the Timecode rec style.

Thus some fav Twilight

-Konflux
-Tryambaka
-Khophat
-Dark Nebula
-Orca
-Psymmetrix

Another style is "Suomi" which is a style from finland. This has a quirkier mushroom edge that can rock but can also annoy.

e.g
Texas faggot
Mandalavandalz
Salakavala
Calamar Audio
Procs (dark suomi)

Check out a http://antiscarp.com/ for a free taste of the style

Then theres Goa trance which is attempting a comeback
e.g

-Mindsphere
-Filteria
-Astrancer
-Travma
-Afgin

+ There's Progressive psy, electro psy, breaks psy and every combination u can think of out there.

These days its hard to find quality fullon (imho), yet there is an overabundance of rocking Dark psy, i love Good fullon morn yet its hard to find stuff that tweaks my brain and makes me want to bust out as much as the darker faster stuff.

My 2 cents :mrgreen:
Last edited by ATREYU on Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
itchytriggerniggerfingers

ATREYU wrote :
Another style is "Suomi" which is a style from finland. This has a quirkier mushroom edge that can rock but can also annoy.

LOR!

Don't let Tripn hear you said that :lol:
simon

i seem to be one of the only people who thinks "dark" psy is not dark in the slightest.

for me, this is dark music:

http://www.saikosounds.com/english/show ... st_id=8777
ATREYU

simon wrote :
i seem to be one of the only people who thinks "dark" psy is not dark in the slightest.

Sounds like old school "X-Dream". How do u classify this sound? Dark PsyTech perhaps?
simon

ATREYU wrote :
simon wrote :

Sounds like old school "X-Dream". How do u classify this sound? Dark PsyTech perhaps?

i like the classification "good musics" :D, but i would just call it tech trance....
kayhat

well, you could break it down and say that music has no real shades of light and dark, its not visionary unless you're deluded on drugs.
traveller

this is a very nice new compilation of dark music...

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=16103

its a free release from our own galactic monkey :D

enjoy!
Galactic Monkey

traveller wrote :
this is a very nice new compilation of dark music...

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=16103

its a free release from our own galactic monkey :D

enjoy!

Haha thanks for the promo man :)

Lia, if you like dark please check out my myspace http://www.myspace.com/djboopsy and download some of my mixes, as well as the link provided by traveller above :)

You should also attend this party http://www.australiens.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16155 :)

Cheers!!!
tract

Gone but not forgotten, Psychedelic nightmusics :?

Don't miss the bus!

A couple of older tracks sure but still a huge difference between psychedelic night-music and full-on baba.
Galactic Monkey

tract wrote :

Gone but not forgotten, Psychedelic nightmusics :?

Don't miss the bus!

A couple of older tracks sure but still a huge difference between psychedelic night-music and full-on baba.

These are classic man :)
Abuse

for me personally..

Dark psy has deep bass, twisted atmospheres, a feeling of slight evil, touches of anger (in some tracks)
usually very psychedelic and written in minor notes.... and most of the time faster tempo ..150-170bpm (although some slower psy can be dark).

Fullon psy is usually a little slower than dark from around 145-148ish, has powerfull leads, catchy basslines, breakdowns with build ups going into intense endings..

twilight psy is also sometimes fullon.. usually touches into the melodic side of trance with nice pads and nice leads, also with sounds that represent the daylight coming

:D
kayhat

Dark producers go dark for the sake of being dark against all other aesthetics, and so so full on?

Is that right?
Abuse

somewhat yeah... :)
kayhat

I really had to drop that last breakdown, cause ones perception of what constitutes "dark" is entirely different to anothers person idea of "dark". This is oh so old this arguement (in my mind), but oh so true. The amounts of times that I've talked about is ridiculous and inane but we all love talking about it :P

What you said is a pretty good guide for what constitutes "dark", but we just can't afford to put things all into these idealistic notions of EXACTLY how you do one thing, triply quadruply so if you're a producer or anyone who is promoting the notion of what is what in music. It's quite nihilistic when you really get caught up in the what's what, no straight answers applicable to genre ever. If you do, then you're going to get bored of music or make music boring.

However, we do need rough guides to find roughly what we want, so I guess it's ok in this context. Once you get your feet, you question these notions and chuck that shithouse guide (no offence) out the window and ask yourself what you really think is dark or full-on.

Dark can be 70bpm, as can full-on. I think 150bpm "dark" is SOOOO not dark and will not take you to any place real broody and atmospheric, personally.

Come check out our label if you want teh dark gear :P And that was totally why I wrote this whole rave, just to be a spam whore ;)

So this being said *ahem* surely people have some ideas of dark proggy or something to give out? I find krumelar and sensient to be good in this vein (and they NOT on our label :P )
traveller

i think its good also to realise that dark psy is a sub genre of all night psy
in general...

eg with prog there is dark prog, deep tribal prog, funky melodic
prog...

with night music a BRANCH of it is dark style, creating horrorscapes and atmospheres
and samples that really can make you feel scared sometimes.
"horror trance" is a name often given to it in my circles...

i dont really listen to much dark psy anymore...

my favourite style of night music which is basically the only style of psy
i listen to now is like psykovsky, kashyyyk, goa gil and many other artists style
which i think of as full power cosmic breakthrough style hehe :D

also i like how triplag music dont call themselves dark, they call it
"full power shamanic psy". this is a much more accurate description i think,
rather than lumping anything that isnt morning style melodic music into
"dark music".

:atom:
Abuse

true true...

with what i said, thats just how i think about it.. my opinion will be different to others im sure..

there isnt really a "accurate" name for these styles, or a catagory

they are all just sub genres within trance/dance music
FRACAS

traveller wrote :
i listen to now is like psykovsky, kashyyyk, goa gil and many other artists style
which i think of as full power cosmic breakthrough style hehe :D

also i like how triplag music dont call themselves dark, they call it
"full power shamanic psy". this is a much more accurate description i think,
rather than lumping anything that isnt morning style melodic music into
"dark music".

:atom:

i like these new descriptions.... a bit sick of anything over 150Bpm without massive melody being thrown into the "Dark" classification.
We need more "full power cosmic breakthrough style" and "full power shamanic psy". Just cause its fast and does not make it dark.
Abuse wrote :
there isnt really a "accurate" name for these styles, or a catagory

they are all just sub genres within trance/dance music

:killah: :killah:
kayhat

Well, I obviously come from a different point of ideology when it comes to music as well, as I'm into playing actual instruments and into what can actually be done as far as new experimental gear.

This is why I choose not to recognise genre as the real deal, but would prefer to adopt genre as an aesthetic guide as to sound, rather then "I will make a dark psy song" or "I will make a morning melodic song". I would prefer to say "I am making a song that has dark psy elements in it". The same as I would say "I'm going to put heaps of higher glitchy sounding pads through this song".

When it comes to full-on, I'm a bit stuck as how to regard it as an aesthetic. I don't really think a lot of it as too full-on actually!

But yes, I agree with the above if you are just shooting for being a psytrance artist, but I consider this to be limiting yourself as a creative entity, and limiting your own genre.

It's empowering for me to know on a personal level that no-one genreficate me as a DJ, I can't even be called an IDM DJ in any broad terms. This means I can play a wider variety of gigs. (polishes fingernails and preens)
traveller

i agree with that too kayhat, a lot of my favourite music can
not really be put into a single genre, and i do especially like it
when psy artists too dont just stick with the usual formula :)

i would love to hear a multi genre full power psychedelic set...
the only person i know who is doing it at all is Mr.Bill from sydney,
he is on to a sweet sound :D

ideally thats what i would be making too but i fall back into
old ways and start making more "standard" music sometimes :P
tract

Abuse wrote :
for me personally..

Dark psy has deep bass, twisted atmospheres, a feeling of slight evil, touches of anger (in some tracks)
usually very psychedelic and written in minor notes.... and most of the time faster tempo ..150-170bpm (although some slower psy can be dark).

Fullon psy is usually a little slower than dark from around 145-148ish, has powerfull leads, catchy basslines, breakdowns with build ups going into intense endings..

twilight psy is also sometimes fullon.. usually touches into the melodic side of trance with nice pads and nice leads, also with sounds that represent the daylight coming

:D

What does "full on" look like Dj Abuse. Does it look like a bitch ?. I see you writing a lot, trying to explain it with words and times and so on. But really; What the fuck does it sound like. Now see I posted a couple of (older) examples of night music...certainly the cornerstones of a nutritious breakfast.

So.

In the interests of clarity....

FULL ON. WHAT DOES IT SOUND LIKE ?
35 posts Page 1 of 2