"Minimal" trance?

General Discussion about the PsyTrance scene, way of life, etc.
8 posts Page 1 of 1
kayhat

I've been in this talk with friends for a while now and I think there's some confusion as to the idea of what consists of real minimal trance.

My idea of trance is something that can induce some form of hypnosis with repitition. However, other ideas have come into the sphere of what can be considered minimal including trance like; minimal criminal, khainz and klone.

I don't think guys like that can really be considered to have a true minimal aesthetic with all the bells and whistles in some of these tracks. These style of tracks only get confused in the genre of minimal tech, which created some original aesthetics these tracks reappropriated into their own genre and became "minimal trance".

A real definaition of minimal trance would just be minimal aesthetics, shouldn't it?
Nightmosphere

I think the term 'minimal trance' is a wank.

That is all I have to offer to this discussion.

bye xoxo
FRACAS

IMO too much thought into what constitutes one genre from another is a waste of time. Genre classification is a little toooooooo subjective.
rollyz

First rule about minimal trance is that you don't talk about minimal trance! :alien:
traveller

i agree fracas...half the music i hear these days is really
hard to lump into one category too...

ive pretty much stopped tryin to define what
genre my music is anymore :P

like in the sciences tho, i guess naming things can be useful,
just for the sake of ease of explaining some music to someone
else...

like if i was to say dark melodic drum and bass with jazz, dubstep and metal influences
then you can get a fair idea of what the music could sound like just from those
words, tho your impression i guess would be based on what dnb, jazz, dub and metal
you may have heard before..
FRACAS

traveller wrote :
like if i was to say dark melodic drum and bass with jazz, dubstep and metal influences
then you can get a fair idea of what the music could sound like just from those
words, tho your impression i guess would be based on what dnb, jazz, dub and metal
you may have heard before..

Well as you have listed 4 different genres it doesnt really lump it in one, but it leaves the end result of what genre it is quite open to interpretation. From the above desciption it could cover anything from Tool to Tipper ???
But i get what ya saying.....People like to try to define/descibe everything so their views can be passed onto others.
But..(back to the threads point)... to define minimal trance i would have to say it's trance with less texture as the name suggests??
kayhat

Nightmosphere wrote :
I think the term 'minimal trance' is a wank.

That is all I have to offer to this discussion.

Thanks for the offering :P

That's pretty much what I was saying too in more words, as we have to take it apart and see WHY the term is a bit of a wank.

I think quite a lot of the newer styles and artists classified as "minimal trance" are actually tech and they just have a lower BPM, because they are morphing sounds from trance into tech music.

They are, however, extremely busy a lot of the time.

The term "minimal trance" could however be used to describe songs that require minimal elements in their production, which could come from any other branch of trance genres from dark to goa yadda yadda.

But, as discussed before, only as an attempt to describe the aesthetic of a song, not to genreficate the song further. An example of this is some of Lost Keys' work. it is genreficated as morning melodic by some, but I consider it to have some quite minimal composition, relying more on making the sounds that are there as tight as possible, rather then needing to ram it full of pads and effects and what-not.

What we attempt to do when we discuss music is attempt to describe the way something sounds, ya dig?
susan

personally i love a slice of 136 bpm with my minimal... but hey that's just me.
8 posts Page 1 of 1