Goa Trance at Doofs - Yey Ney

General Discussion about the PsyTrance scene, way of life, etc.
28 posts Page 1 of 2
Mλtt

Hey guys.
Who here thinks Goa should be played at doofs more? I don't really see why it isn't, seeing lots of doofs lately getting pretty diverse with the range of genres but still no Goa.

Your thoughts?
kayhat

Well I suppose it depends who you're playing it to. It's fairly safe to say that the production merits of some goa trance tracks have been obsoleted.

The compositional merits of some goa tracks still shine, and I reckon they could be shone up if you know what you're doing with ableton and update some of the sounds with some of your own recently tweaked synths and kicks...
herbsandspices

It's becomming more and more popular here in Europe, and Boom is even showcasing Goa artists this year I think.

There are regular Goa only nights here in Prague, where the psytrance community is about a third of the size of Sydney. It has a tendency to polarise people, with the older folk still digging it, and the younger people tending to find it boring and getting the shits and leaving.

Anything that promotes diversity though I say.
kayhat

herbsandspices wrote :
It's becomming more and more popular here in Europe, and Boom is even showcasing Goa artists this year I think.

There are regular Goa only nights here in Prague, where the psytrance community is about a third of the size of Sydney. It has a tendency to polarise people, with the older folk still digging it, and the younger people tending to find it boring and getting the shits and leaving.

So what constitutes a goa only night? What acts are usually on?
Why do the younger people leave? Is it the production merits?
Do you think it will carry on and become more popular in this form?

herbsandspices wrote :
Anything that promotes diversity though I say.

Yeah, definately. This may mean a squashing of what a genre constitutes in militant terms, in order to comprehend and take on the more passive ideal of aesthetics.

But re, genres; Goa trance is more psychedelic trance then psytrance was in the first place! It was psychedelic enough to allow itself passive transmution earlier in the piece anyway.

But yeah, forms progress and we find psytrance passively mutating into new forms as time moves on.
herbsandspices

The Goa parties are regular and tend to be local DJs (currency value makes getting international artists here very, very hard) who normally play something else playing goa from their collection or that they have scavenged together for the night. The promoter / main DJ is an enthusiast and plays new goa most of the time.

The young people tend to leave because they don't find it cranking enough (dark is very popular at the moment here) and also the main complaint I hear is "it's boring". Don't agree myself, but there you have it.
herbsandspices

To give you an idea of the difference in crowd and attendance here:

Recent Goa night:

http://picasaweb.google.cz/stepankotouc ... Fly012010#

Recent Dark night:

http://picasaweb.google.cz/stepankotouc ... ion042010#

My mate's photos, not mine.

Spring has just hit, and first outdoor is on this weekend. Can't wait.
kayhat

I bet :?
Brains

I'd love to hear more golden goa at parties, especially a 90-120 minute, mid-morning set of classic madness! Bring out the Hare Gobi, the California Sunshine, the Green Nuns, the Miranda, some Dimension 5 and Encens! Bust out the Gus Till, raid the Rhino collection! Shoo the spiders away from the blotter stash and drag the vinyls out! I wanna get shanti as fuck! :)

That said, I'd like to hear some of the modern goa played out-of-doors, stuff from Goasia or Aerosis or Aminthaba Buddha.

(Hell, it certainly beats being pummeled with progressive, flailed by full-on and discombobulated by darkpsy over 'n over!)
kayhat

I'd be down with that. :)
Last Yuppie Standing

yey.

A Goa trance party held at a remote beach would be great.
bjclhb

Brains wrote :
I'd love to hear more golden goa at parties, especially a 90-120 minute, mid-morning set of classic madness! Bring out the Hare Gobi, the California Sunshine, the Green Nuns, the Miranda, some Dimension 5 and Encens! Bust out the Gus Till, raid the Rhino collection! Shoo the spiders away from the blotter stash and drag the vinyls out! I wanna get shanti as fuck! :)

That said, I'd like to hear some of the modern goa played out-of-doors, stuff from Goasia or Aerosis or Aminthaba Buddha.

(Hell, it certainly beats being pummeled with progressive, flailed by full-on and discombobulated by darkpsy over 'n over!)

This would be most pleasing 8)
Last Yuppie Standing

Which djs are likely to play goa trance at Sounds Psylly. I'm new here and the only one I know of who will is Atreyu, are there any others who may?
bjclhb

^^ Unfortunately there aren't many that play goa around from what I've heard so Atreyu may be your only source.
kathmandu

Kayseri:Electric
Last edited by kathmandu on Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Last Yuppie Standing

bjclhb wrote :
^^ Unfortunately there aren't many that play goa around from what I've heard so Atreyu may be your only source.

Fair enough, thanks for the reply.
kathmandu

Indoor: Mad Horizon
simon

Last Yuppie Standing wrote :
Which djs are likely to play goa trance at Sounds Psylly. I'm new here and the only one I know of who will is Atreyu, are there any others who may?

*looks at his cd collection*

*raises hand*
Last Yuppie Standing

^^ Awesome!! Whats your DJ name so I don't miss your set?
flurohero

what is old is new.[or is it what's new is old?]
what about aztec spacerock from fruity dudes with big moustaches and dracula capes or indeed 'quintessense' with expat'raja ram 'playing cheery flute 1970[or was it 60 something?]?
simon

eeep, sorry, i misunderstood, i wont be playing at sounds psyly... but i do have a collection that goes back to 1995, but no one asks me to play it ;(
Last Yuppie Standing

simon wrote :

eeep, sorry, i misunderstood, i wont be playing at sounds psyly... but i do have a collection that goes back to 1995, but no one asks me to play it ;(

Damn shame, would have been good to hear some of those tracks next weekend.
brainstorma

just spent 7 days at ozora
and on the 3rd day god said let there be goa trance and they came and played

union jack
green nuns
raja ram classic set (suprising no cheese in site (nothing post 97 really enjoyed the set))
man made man supreise set
so much goa i was in heaven

yes to more goa at parties

RIP full on

and watch goa rise again and walk amungst the people
and kno that all is good and psycadelic again
itchytriggerniggerfingers

brainstorma wrote :
RIP full on

Oh, what about the Xeno-fucking-Morph text I got hey :D :D :D
herbsandspices

The goa revival is just more "flavour of the month", and you know it. I'm not saying it's not good, just that it's swings and roundabouts for all psytrance styles.
brainstorma

itchytriggerniggerfingers wrote :
brainstorma wrote :
RIP full on

Oh, what about the Xeno-fucking-Morph text I got hey :D :D :D

writen under the influence of half a bottle of vodka
and 2 bottles of cider
an xeno isnt full on its 160 bpm doom core psy
28 posts Page 1 of 2