3 day 'festival' Vs 1 night party (Now with added poll!)

General Discussion about the PsyTrance scene, way of life, etc.
77 posts Page 2 of 4

Which is better?

44%
One night party
56%
Three night festival

Total votes: 57

simon

as much as we dont want to admit it, i think lack of drugs that do *anything* is also helping this problem. i'd say one of the main reasons people are asleep by 2am is... they're drunk! ( nothing wrong with being drunk, i quite like a slightly just-past-tipsy drunken state thesedays... )
Satori

Well Track 6 proved everything I have spoken about in this thread. Perfect party, set up was great, energy on the dancefloor was high all night and it was freezing (proving cold has nothing to do with empty dancefloors) and it was still cranking when I left at 3.30pm on sunday.
If that was my first doof I would be amazed and be searching out more of the same. I hope to see more parties like this in the near future.

Also, funny that the poll is going in favour of 3 night festivals but about 95% of replies in this thread have been pro one nighters.....
Pete_Paranoid

Hello Mr R. I take your point my friend, but imho you're going over the top a bit!

I can understand and relate how promoters feel about this thread, but unfortunately promoters don't have magic wands.

Maybe if you started playing club trance or house music you could get more of a following!

I'm starting to target my psytrance events only to events that appreciate dark psytrance and respect the collective conscious as opposed to the individual conscious.

I feel dark psytrance today is what psytrance used to be about.

(Ironically, if you check the photos for this event last year you will see more people during the night than at the day!)

Satori

Pete_Paranoid wrote :
Hello Mr R. I take your point my friend, but imho you're going over the top a bit!

I can understand and relate how promoters feel about this thread, but unfortunately promoters don't have magic wands.

Hi Pete,
I don't feel I'm going over the top, just giving my point of view, but from what I understand a few people have been upset about this thread.

The reason I started it is because I believe what I have said and I think the lack of energy at doofs these days has made them a thing of the past for many older crew and is making doofs boring to a lot of new comers.

Why are people scared to speak their minds in this community, for fear of being seen as negative?

This subject is neither negative or positive, it is simply a discussion. A platform for people to express their point of view and for others to take those opinions on board.
Maybe if we all come together as one instead of staying in our little elite cliques we might be able to move things forward.

The problems in our scene won't go away unless they are discussed freely.
I'm definitely not the only one who feels this way.
venatrix

one of the things that made track 6 win was the minimal ego.

but there are other reasons why the vibe might seem lacking at other parties...

people grow up. we get old and tired. we can no longer sustain hardcore substance use. we have kids. we get regular jobs. we see the consequences of our actions and those around us and there comes a time where you have to make a choice. we dont all have trust funds.
Christian

You're right- what the scene needs is some more fresh meat. :thumb:
Pete_Paranoid

What else is there? by Röyksopp

It was me on that road
But you couldn't see me
Too many lights out, but nowhere near here

It was me on that road
Still you couldn't see me
And the flashlights and explosions

Roads and getting nearer
We cover distance but not together
I am the storm, and I am the wonder
And the flashlights, nightmares, sudden explosions

I don't know what more to ask for
I was given just one wish

It's about you and the sun
A morning run
The story of my maker
What I have and what I ache for

I've got a golden ear
I cut and I spear
And what else is there?
Roads and getting nearer
We cover distance still not together

If I am the storm, if I am the wonder
Will I have flashlights, nightmares, sudden explosions?

Roads and getting nearer
We cover distance but not together
I am the storm and I am the wonder
And the flashlights, nightmares, sudden explosions

There is no room where I can go and
You've got secrets too

Luminous Lights

venatrix wrote :
one of the things that made track 6 win was the minimal ego.

but there are other reasons why the vibe might seem lacking at other parties...

people grow up. we get old and tired. we can no longer sustain hardcore substance use. we have kids. we get regular jobs. we see the consequences of our actions and those around us and there comes a time where you have to make a choice. we dont all have trust funds.

100% correct, for me the highlight would be Dragon Dreaming where Paul's stage went for twice as long as ours, and had half the number of crew as us and were half as experienced, it really is a credit to him that he doesn't pretend to be something he's not.
Another time, at a track party my van broke down a couple days beforehand and with any other party it would have been all over, but he got me and my gear there and back, and it is a credit to his reliability.
bargirl

i love both!!!! i just want to be able to stay for the whole three days . I guess at a one nighter i feel like i haven't missed anything, but on the three day events i can usually only be there for one night and have to go home for work, and i feel like i am missing out and get really sad about it. :cry: i hope the holidays will be accomodating of my dreams and wishes :idea:
STEVONOISEMAKER

[/quote]
I don't feel I'm going over the top, just giving my point of view, but from what I understand a few people have been upset about this thread.
[/quote]

I don’t reckon this thread is over the top. Of course people are gonna have different opinions. They always do. In every scene. The main difference being, we are part of a scene, where there is only a few main forums and such for communication, so it’s easier to voice opinions, and yeah, some people seem to get upset pretty easily:p

I think at the end of the day, there will always be this thing with people who’ve been in the scene a longer time, not liking some of the trends or way things are done by crews and punters who haven’t been around for as long. Then I’m sure the same could go for those people, having different ideals and philosophies to members of the scene who are newer yet again.

Personally I only got into doof about 7 years ago, so haven’t been around as many others, but most of the changes I’ve seen have been nothing to complain about really. Some of the new music is awesome, and yeah some of it sucks. Some of the old music was/is awesome, some of it also sucks.

Really though, rather than continuing on with the same old “the music was better back then” “this was better” that was better” like a broken record, there is a simple solution.

People should quit whining n put on parties, play the old music if they so wish, structure it their own way, and customize it to how it used to be, or how they think it should be.

Tis true date clashes n such are hella annoying, but there’s always room for more parties, even if they’re just end up being smaller ones. But the thing is, even then, there’s certain to be someone who thinks the music and flow “could have been better” or “this shoulda been done like that” and “that shoulda been done like this” etc etc etc etc

If we end up with too many parties heck, it’s not the worst thing that can happen. I can think of way worse things! Sure the bigger ones may suffer for a while, and there would be less opportunity to get big acts that cost lotsa money to come play here, but there’s always some fresh faces at almost every party, and this is how the scene will grow and hopefully be sustainable for parties of all sizes in the future.

hehe maybe.
Satori

Nicely put steve-o
Mλtt

There's room for both. Any scene needs diversity, any species, any universe does too. But it's not just one nights have more energy or 3 dayers have more energy. It's the people who go to such events that make it what they are. Organisers can create a wonderful line up, have a great site/layout, and the energy could still be missing because of the people operating within it.
Pete_Paranoid

Mλtt wrote :
There's room for both. Any scene needs diversity, any species, any universe does too. But it's not just one nights have more energy or 3 dayers have more energy. It's the people who go to such events that make it what they are. Organisers can create a wonderful line up, have a great site/layout, and the energy could still be missing because of the people operating within it.

Exactly right! I hate to say this, and it's a really hard call. But people think a P.A. is all about the speakers, when just like an iceberg another 2/3 are below the water. A P.A. in actual fact is more about who's running the system. Is the P.A. tuned to the D.J.? Or is the D.J. tuned to the P.A.? It really is like comparing apples with oranges!
Abuse

iv been thinking the same thing rory, after doing bent perception as a 3 day event for the last 2 years, iv noticed its not the same vibe at all than a one nighter (how bent p was for the first 3 years)

everyone creates such a good energy knowing that its only one night and day, and that they can put all there energy into that 24hrs and let the party be a journey from start to finish...

i miss this myself personally, i already decided a few months back that bent p next year will go back to one night, and hopefully have that vibe that i miss myself.

in saying that, i dont mind the 3 day events, they have there pro's and con's..
but i do enjoy 1 night more

:bonfire: :atom:
Pete_Paranoid

This thread is Wade colour-o-matic!

Got any more requests, Rory? Maybe we can have a night where they use the left speaker only!

You cry blue murder over ticket prices, which to most people the cost is quite reasonable, and then when somebody does something different it's still not good enough for you.

You do this thread, which in reality is quite selfish, and get commended, and I do a thread on safety, and get flamed, tell me seriously, how does that make any sense what so ever?

It seems to me due to a small but vocal community, and threads like yours and others, the people with any talent are being forced out of the scene, and now promoters and people will pay people more to do less.

You should be ashamed of yourself!
Satori

Pete_Paranoid wrote :
This thread is Wade colour-o-matic!

Got any more requests, Rory? Maybe we can have a night where they use the left speaker only!

You cry blue murder over ticket prices, which to most people the cost is quite reasonable, and then when somebody does something different it's still not good enough for you.

You do this thread, which in reality is quite selfish, and get commended, and I do a thread on safety, and get flamed, tell me seriously, how does that make any sense what so ever?

It seems to me due to a small but vocal community, and threads like yours and others, the people with any talent are being forced out of the scene, and now promoters and people will pay people more to do less.

You should be ashamed of yourself!

O.k.
No need to get angry there Pedro.
I never cried blue murder over ticket prices, if you can show me anywhere on the internet where I have done that i'll eat my work boots. If you are talking about the rythmic earth thread then all I done there was ask what I got for the money and stated that ticket prices across the board are rising to levels that are pushing certain parties out of some peoples reach.

What are you talking about 'when someone does something different'? 3 day parties have been done since the beginning, the point I was making here was that they seem to be the only thing happening these days, do I have to explain myself or can you actually read the fucking thread?

How is stating my honest opinion selfish?
Have you actually read the things you post? Almost every time you write something it turns into 'poor me, I work hard, no one appreciates me, blah blah blah', even when it is completely out of context you turn your posts into a fucking sob story.

And the last paragraph you have written here...What the fuck are you even talking about? What you have written here makes no sense at all. I know you are a smart dude Pete, but there are some strange things going on in that head of yours.
Maybe if you start speaking some sense you will get some respect on the forums, even when you do have a valid point you ruin it with all your cryptic youtube replies and whiney self pity shit.

So I should be ashamed of myself for stating honestly what I think and trying to spark some intelligent discussion on the subject hey?
Sorry, I like you and all, but go fuck yourself Pete.
brainstorma

after having just dont a 7 day fest of epic insanity

i will be happy to go back to a 3 or 4 day party

word of advice try and have a full set up if doing more than 4 days
trying ot do 7 days with minimal set up was a big learning curve
bargirl

Satori wrote :
Maybe if you start speaking some sense you will get some respect on the forums,

you have my respect pete :)
Satori

Please don't get me wrong, Pete has my utmost respect, for who he is and what he does. He has done some amazing things for the doof scene and continues to do so. He just offended me with his post and his communication skills leave much to be desired.
bargirl

i think his communication is awesome. can never pick what he is going to say, very unpredictable and enlightening
venatrix

No.

Pete's communication skills are abysmal.

Get off the fucking drugs :roll:
bargirl

why do you say that? you seem to be one of the non conformists on here with your communication style. that's quite a bold statement to make about pete!
venatrix

What we have here is a disconnect.
Pete_Paranoid

Satori wrote :
Please don't get me wrong, Pete has my utmost respect, for who he is and what he does. He has done some amazing things for the doof scene and continues to do so. He just offended me with his post and his communication skills leave much to be desired.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGGURFcoojs

The gentle art of making enemies by Faith no more

The words are so familiar
All the same greats, the same mistakes
It doesn't have to be like this

If you don't make a friend, now
One might make you
So learn
The gentle art of making enemies

Don't look so surprised
Happy birthday...fucker
Blow that candle out
We're gonna kick you, kick you

Don't say you're not because you are
Don't say you're not because you are
History tells us that you are
History tells us that you are

All you need is just one more excuse
You put up one hell of a fight
I wanna hear your very best excuse
I never felt this much alive

Your day has finally come
So wear the hat and do the dance
And let the suit keep wearing you

This year you'll sit and take it
And you will like it
It's the gentle art of making enemies

I deserve a reward
'Cause I'm the best fuck that you ever had
And if I tighten up my hole
You may never see the light again

There's always an easy way out
There's always an easy way out
You need something wet in your mouth
You need something wet in your mouth

Then all you need is just one more excuse
I wanna hear your very best excuse

I never felt, never felt this much alive

Rory, there is a big difference between being honest and telling the truth.

The Emperor's New Clothes
A translation of Hans Christian Andersen's "Keiserens nye Klæder" by Jean Hersholt.

Many years ago there was an Emperor so exceedingly fond of new clothes that he spent all his money on being well dressed. He cared nothing about reviewing his soldiers, going to the theatre, or going for a ride in his carriage, except to show off his new clothes. He had a coat for every hour of the day, and instead of saying, as one might, about any other ruler, "The King's in council," here they always said. "The Emperor's in his dressing room."

In the great city where he lived, life was always gay. Every day many strangers came to town, and among them one day came two swindlers. They let it be known they were weavers, and they said they could weave the most magnificent fabrics imaginable. Not only were their colors and patterns uncommonly fine, but clothes made of this cloth had a wonderful way of becoming invisible to anyone who was unfit for his office, or who was unusually stupid.

"Those would be just the clothes for me," thought the Emperor. "If I wore them I would be able to discover which men in my empire are unfit for their posts. And I could tell the wise men from the fools. Yes, I certainly must get some of the stuff woven for me right away." He paid the two swindlers a large sum of money to start work at once.

They set up two looms and pretended to weave, though there was nothing on the looms. All the finest silk and the purest old thread which they demanded went into their traveling bags, while they worked the empty looms far into the night.

"I'd like to know how those weavers are getting on with the cloth," the Emperor thought, but he felt slightly uncomfortable when he remembered that those who were unfit for their position would not be able to see the fabric. It couldn't have been that he doubted himself, yet he thought he'd rather send someone else to see how things were going. The whole town knew about the cloth's peculiar power, and all were impatient to find out how stupid their neighbors were.

"I'll send my honest old minister to the weavers," the Emperor decided. "He'll be the best one to tell me how the material looks, for he's a sensible man and no one does his duty better."

So the honest old minister went to the room where the two swindlers sat working away at their empty looms.

"Heaven help me," he thought as his eyes flew wide open, "I can't see anything at all". But he did not say so.

Both the swindlers begged him to be so kind as to come near to approve the excellent pattern, the beautiful colors. They pointed to the empty looms, and the poor old minister stared as hard as he dared. He couldn't see anything, because there was nothing to see. "Heaven have mercy," he thought. "Can it be that I'm a fool? I'd have never guessed it, and not a soul must know. Am I unfit to be the minister? It would never do to let on that I can't see the cloth."

"Don't hesitate to tell us what you think of it," said one of the weavers.

"Oh, it's beautiful -it's enchanting." The old minister peered through his spectacles. "Such a pattern, what colors!" I'll be sure to tell the Emperor how delighted I am with it."

"We're pleased to hear that," the swindlers said. They proceeded to name all the colors and to explain the intricate pattern. The old minister paid the closest attention, so that he could tell it all to the Emperor. And so he did.

The swindlers at once asked for more money, more silk and gold thread, to get on with the weaving. But it all went into their pockets. Not a thread went into the looms, though they worked at their weaving as hard as ever.

The Emperor presently sent another trustworthy official to see how the work progressed and how soon it would be ready. The same thing happened to him that had happened to the minister. He looked and he looked, but as there was nothing to see in the looms he couldn't see anything.

"Isn't it a beautiful piece of goods?" the swindlers asked him, as they displayed and described their imaginary pattern.

"I know I'm not stupid," the man thought, "so it must be that I'm unworthy of my good office. That's strange. I mustn't let anyone find it out, though." So he praised the material he did not see. He declared he was delighted with the beautiful colors and the exquisite pattern. To the Emperor he said, "It held me spellbound."

All the town was talking of this splendid cloth, and the Emperor wanted to see it for himself while it was still in the looms. Attended by a band of chosen men, among whom were his two old trusted officials-the ones who had been to the weavers-he set out to see the two swindlers. He found them weaving with might and main, but without a thread in their looms.

"Magnificent," said the two officials already duped. "Just look, Your Majesty, what colors! What a design!" They pointed to the empty looms, each supposing that the others could see the stuff.

"What's this?" thought the Emperor. "I can't see anything. This is terrible!

Am I a fool? Am I unfit to be the Emperor? What a thing to happen to me of all people! - Oh! It's very pretty," he said. "It has my highest approval." And he nodded approbation at the empty loom. Nothing could make him say that he couldn't see anything.

His whole retinue stared and stared. One saw no more than another, but they all joined the Emperor in exclaiming, "Oh! It's very pretty," and they advised him to wear clothes made of this wonderful cloth especially for the great procession he was soon to lead. "Magnificent! Excellent! Unsurpassed!" were bandied from mouth to mouth, and everyone did his best to seem well pleased. The Emperor gave each of the swindlers a cross to wear in his buttonhole, and the title of "Sir Weaver."

Before the procession the swindlers sat up all night and burned more than six candles, to show how busy they were finishing the Emperor's new clothes. They pretended to take the cloth off the loom. They made cuts in the air with huge scissors. And at last they said, "Now the Emperor's new clothes are ready for him."

Then the Emperor himself came with his noblest noblemen, and the swindlers each raised an arm as if they were holding something. They said, "These are the trousers, here's the coat, and this is the mantle," naming each garment. "All of them are as light as a spider web. One would almost think he had nothing on, but that's what makes them so fine."

"Exactly," all the noblemen agreed, though they could see nothing, for there was nothing to see.

"If Your Imperial Majesty will condescend to take your clothes off," said the swindlers, "we will help you on with your new ones here in front of the long mirror."

The Emperor undressed, and the swindlers pretended to put his new clothes on him, one garment after another. They took him around the waist and seemed to be fastening something - that was his train-as the Emperor turned round and round before the looking glass.

"How well Your Majesty's new clothes look. Aren't they becoming!" He heard on all sides, "That pattern, so perfect! Those colors, so suitable! It is a magnificent outfit."

Then the minister of public processions announced: "Your Majesty's canopy is waiting outside."

"Well, I'm supposed to be ready," the Emperor said, and turned again for one last look in the mirror. "It is a remarkable fit, isn't it?" He seemed to regard his costume with the greatest interest.

The noblemen who were to carry his train stooped low and reached for the floor as if they were picking up his mantle. Then they pretended to lift and hold it high. They didn't dare admit they had nothing to hold.

So off went the Emperor in procession under his splendid canopy. Everyone in the streets and the windows said, "Oh, how fine are the Emperor's new clothes! Don't they fit him to perfection? And see his long train!" Nobody would confess that he couldn't see anything, for that would prove him either unfit for his position, or a fool. No costume the Emperor had worn before was ever such a complete success.

"But he hasn't got anything on," a little child said.

"Did you ever hear such innocent prattle?" said its father. And one person whispered to another what the child had said, "He hasn't anything on. A child says he hasn't anything on."

"But he hasn't got anything on!" the whole town cried out at last.

The Emperor shivered, for he suspected they were right. But he thought, "This procession has got to go on." So he walked more proudly than ever, as his noblemen held high the train that wasn't there at all.

http://www.andersen.sdu.dk/vaerk/hersholt/TheEmperorsNewClothes_e.html

The Emperor honestly believed he was wearing clothes the child told him he wasn't.
Satori

So your declaring yourself my enemy are you Pete? I'm cool with that. Come talk to me next time you see me out. As long as you can muster more than your usual mumble i'm happy to talk about this in person.

So you decide what the truth is now hey? All I done was express my opinion, it is in no way false or a lie it is simply a point of view.
And a lot of people seem to agree with me, actually, more seem to agree than disagree.

Why have you chosen to turn this into something personal? What's your agenda here mate?
77 posts Page 2 of 4