earl of fnord carnival ? What do you think of it?

General Discussion about the PsyTrance scene, way of life, etc.
59 posts Page 1 of 3
vincent

It;s happening in November ... what do you big trance people think of the event.

It looks prettyu commercial to me, is it?

Vincent

dr_eskaton

earl of fnord is the biggest trance festival in Australia so in that sense it's commercial. Doofers, alternative types, goths and candy ravers all go to earl of fnord, it really goes across a heap of different scenes.

and well:

1200 Mics, Raja Ram, GMS, Hallucinogen, Son Kite, Eat Static

I reckon just with that line up it would be worth the trip and thats missing the other 30 acts or so......

Cyberwlf

Sorry, I disagree dr_eskaton. Rainbow Serpent Festival is by *far* the biggest trance festival in Australia.

But if you want one of the biggest dance music festivals outdoors in Australia, then yes, it is definitely that.

Rainbow Serpent is almost nothing but Psy on all floors over 4 days. earl of fnord festivals have been 1 trance floor for one night, and some trance on the mainfloor on the Sat night (the headliners mostly play on mainfloor), in addition to the smaller 'renegade' trance floor on the Friday night which only goes till 3am!

Rainbow goes pretty much non-stop from start till end (yeah the mainfloor stops at times, but theres always some floor playing trance). Tribeadelic is like RSF too, and unlike earl of fnord is also a proper trance festival too. Same was true with Summer Dreaming in the past too, and other Psy festivals in the past (not counting Exodus).

But I agree with dr_eskaton abut the crowd it gets is as he said. But the majority are ravers (which was evident by the number of people who wouldn't even bother to stick around for or even dance to Hallucinogen :!: ), but there was a good contingent of doofers last year (the year before had hardly any doofers).

I gotta say though, this year unlike previous years, the line-up really does NOT excite me, previously i went because of the line-up (Juno Reactor, Atmos, etc, etc), but this year just isn't to my tastes. But i'm sure plenty of people into those acts will really enjoy the music.

It disappoints me that such a large festival shows such a lack of Sydney DJs/Acts though when there is so much talent in Sydney.
Last edited by Cyberwlf on Sat Oct 02, 2004 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dr_eskaton

cyberwlf you are so annoyingly pedantic....

earl of fnord is "Trance plus other stuff". The headline act is always trance plus there is a bunch of other styles from live acoustic to breaks etc.

SO i think it's fair enough to call it the biggest trance festival in Australia.

Rainbow Serpent is the biggest "trance only" festival in Australia.

Happy now?

As to your complaint about no Sydney acts I'd like to know how many Sydney DJ's sent demos and tried to get on the lineup? Now also, please tell me which Sydney ORIGINAL live psytrance acts should be playing at earl of fnord? There is no acts I know of in Sydney that are developed and mature enough to play at an event like earl of fnord. Fractal Glider, Benza, Mr Peculiar, Freq, SCS none of them are from Sydney. There are people with the potential doing live stuff in Sydney but they are not really established enough yet for major festivals.

I wish there was more original live psytrance coming out of Sydney but I think all the people with the talent end up moving to Melbourne or Byron because the market is bigger there.
Last edited by dr_eskaton on Sat Oct 02, 2004 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cyberwlf

Fair enough. Just my definition of a trance festival is one which is either primarily trance or trance only, not one which merely incorporates it as one of the main styles it supports.

As to how many Sydney DJ's sent demos or the likes? Not a clue. I haven't asked, but surely they shouldn't need to, as many have been around for many years and are well established, by reputation alone they should've been booked!
Last edited by Cyberwlf on Sat Oct 02, 2004 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dr_eskaton

earl of fnord is primarily trance at least 70%

four stages: Main, Hydra, Pharmacy and Renegade are dominated by trance acts. Only the circus tent is not.

Go check the lineup again.

Cyberwlf

Yeah I read the line-up.

But...

How exactly is Pharmacy trance? It's all other genres than psy.

And on the main floor, till 4am Sunday morning, there is no psy acts either. altho theres a chance the mystery guest may be psy, but it just as equally could be anything else. So 7-8 of 13 acts on main are NOT Psy.

Sure Hydra (the main trance floor) and Renegade (aka. Elevator 2) are trance floors, but i never claimed otherwise

Those wanting to check full line-up, go here -> http://www.australiens.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=115

gnostik

yeah im not very excited about the acts playing either...

having said that tho, they could play pretty much any music that they want at a party like this and u can still have a great time just meeting fun people and wandering around the stalls etc. (i assume something of this size will have markets).

re: trance festivals - i think that multi music style festivals like this can be great if theyre pulled off well...variety is the spice of life, as they say.
at a pure trance festival tho, i think the atmosphere there can be much more intense, as there are many more people with the same hopes and intentions and the energy they bring is more similar and focused on fewer things...

anyways...im kinda rambling i know

i hope anyone who goes has a great time :)

psyllium

Cyberwlf wrote :
How exactly is Pharmacy trance? It's all other genres than psy.

psy != trance :P

Cyberwlf

gnostik wrote :
at a pure trance festival tho, i think the atmosphere there can be much more intense, as there are many more people with the same hopes and intentions and the energy they bring is more similar and focused on fewer things...

I completely agree, very well said!

gnostik wrote :
i hope anyone who goes has a great time :)

Agreed! :)

dr_eskaton

what psyllium said:

there is more to trance than just psy.

I never said eartcore was biggest psytrance festival.

It is biggest "all sorts of trance plus a lot of other stuff" festival in Australia

but still earl of fnord is dominated by trance and of the trance a hell of a lot
of it is psytrance.

the renegade stage is all psytrance and went both nights day and night
last year so you can have a %100 percent psytrance earl of fnord carnival by going back and forth between the renegade and the other stages to see the internatonal psy acts if you want.

I prefer the variety that earl of fnord or exodus offers, sometimes after 14 hours of psy it's pretty good to be able to go chill and watch an acoustic act or just hear something with a different beat for once.

personally I am pretty keen to see 1200 mics (love that bogan guitar trance), younger brother, raja ram, pitch black, lab 4 and even salmonella dub.

karra

hmm i had to choose what to go to this year because i dont want to go to all 3 festivals.. and i chose the main psy related festivals.. tribeadelic and RSF... earl of fnord may be good, but i think it may not have the same vibe as these others..
and thats why ive never been to earl of fnord and have no real interest to go there cus ppl said its different and more "ravey"

but i havent been so its just hearsay & opinions!

ILovetoStomp

eh well I reckon from last years experience there was hardly any 'psychedelic trance' played at RSF. Ive been a massive fan of RSF, but for me Greenant has been steadily losing the plot since Hallucinogen played in 01. Last year was the worst ever, and if this year is as bad I'm taking it off my Summer Festival Menu.

earl of fnord on the other hand, started off as trance, lost the plot between 01 and 03 and has been steadily riding a wave of growing enthusiasm for psy in Vic, by bringing out psy artists that can predictably play mindblowing live sets. The vibe on the mainfloor last year with simon P playing dub was amazing, and by far better than anything I felt at RSF last year on the mainfloor.

I thought the alternative floor at times at RSF was cool - but at other times it was playing crap Drum and Bass...I can appreciate the good stuff but this wasnt.

Tribadelic was cool last year but I just cant handle having to reapply Aerogard every 2 hours, and thats the only option other than being eaten alive by mozzies 24/7 while there. If they got a new venue Id be there with bells on, but yeah...its also off the menu.

This year for us its EC, Exodus and RSF. a long drive, but we have the time and the means for once :)

Josh

Miss Kitten

Can't wait for earl of fnord !!!!!! Easily the best trance lineup Australia has ever seen. World class to say the least.

gotica

ok listen up lady evry big trance festival is commercial but the qustion is can u injuy a commercial festival ? i never been 2 ausraliea but i bet this is a very good festival ask u'r self thet qustion do u like the dj line up can u detoch u'r self from u'r sorawnding and injuy if u can then go and here is another addvice my friend come with low accspectation and u will heve fun bealive me (by the wey sorry about my english i am from israel an a beat rastty)

virul3nt

Someone mentioned goths @ earl of fnord...
It's interesting... Even at such huge festivals like earl of fnord they'll never introduce a goth/EBM stage while my arse points to the ground... Why is this?? EBM is so similar to trance... The only difference between EBM and trance is that EBM has mostly verse/chorus structured songs and vocals/lyrics..
What's the dealio?

Cyberwlf

A small EBM stage would be cool at festivals. :)

dr_eskaton

well Lab4 are playing and they are pretty much EBM trance!

I don't know about a whole stage but a few dark acts in the lineup would be cool.

susan

ILovetoStomp wrote :
Tribadelic was cool last year but I just cant handle having to reapply Aerogard every 2 hours, and thats the only option other than being eaten alive by mozzies 24/7 while there. If they got a new venue Id be there with bells on, but yeah...its also off the menu......

Not every part of the camping area at Tribeadelic last year was mozzie plagued, we didn't get any at all where we were camped, Maybe you should have investigated further and moved camp. It seems a shame to dump one of the best Australian psytrance parties off your festival calendar because of something you could have sorted better for yourself.
Also- have you heard anyone actually say that Tribeadelic will be in the same place this year?

Cyberwlf

Tribeadelic NYE is the best 'psychedelic' trance festival in Victoria bar none (for those who don't consider RSF in that category due to all the progressive they play). It's way better than any earl of fnord event i've ever been to, and its up there with some of my fav RSF's. RSF though is a bigger production of the two, but both are good in their own ways.

Mozzies are annoying, but you get them anywhere u go in summer, okay so u get more lake side, but if mozzies stop u going to a party, then u shouldn't even go outdoors at all this summer!

Miss Kitten

Cyber you sound like a politician on the campaign trail.

virul3nt

Well that's great that you guys don't seem to be too opposed to the idea of a few EBM acts in a line-up! I wonder who I'd talk to about making it happen...

Cyberwlf

Nah, I just know what I like, and am passionate about it. Also I don't believe in sucking up / sugar coating things. Some people just can't handle hearing other peoples opinions when it doesn't match their own and use cheap lines to try and discredit the person.

I am not affiliated with/associated with or benefit in any way from what i'm saying, the only benefits i seek are for the further good of all doofers who value all that makes the PsyTrance scene special.

brainstorma

well i'm lloking forward to this
i'm getting sick of the strickly psy partys to me personaly they are getting stagnant

i'm actualy looking forward more to teh non psy acts than the psy acts
hearing pitch black and salmanela dub out door
and also seeing tism

sorry if i dont have th same veiws as others psy natzis but meh thats there problem not mine

brainstorma

shoudl also add that you cant really talk about tribadelic and earl of fnord in that way CW as both of them are in totaly difrent festival catagorys
one is a electronic music festival where as tribadelic is a psy trance festival

so cant really compear the two
59 posts Page 1 of 3