The greatest pstrance festivals Australia has are...?

General Discussion about the PsyTrance scene, way of life, etc.
20 posts Page 1 of 1
Charliechalk

Hi all,

I'm a Brit who's thinking about spending two weeks in Australia some time between December 2010 and March 2011; time to travel and find great psytrance. Great festivals I've been to so far include Origin (South Africa), Symbiosis (California), Glade (UK), Burning Man (Nevada) and now so, so, so keen to experience some great Australian ones! Along with psytrance I love my breakbeat, drum and bass and hard trance too. I've had a quick look for Australian psytrance festivals and have found the following: Rainbow Serpent, Earth Freq, Fungus Among Us, Spiral Harmonics.

Are there any other big music festivals I should add to that list? And if you know the dates when they are that will save me some searching time but no worries if not. The details I have so far are:

Rainbow Serpent Festival: 21-24 January at Beaufort, Victoria
Earth Freq: 11-14 February 2011, nr. Brisbane.
Fungus Among Us: 15/16 January 2011, North coast of NSW
Spiral Harmonics: February 2011?

There must be so many more!

Many thanks for all the recommendations I'm sure you have!

Cheers,
Charlie
itchytriggerniggerfingers

Subsonic - ~2-3 hours north of Sydney - late Nov 8)

Strawberry Fields - Vic - late Nov
day_tripper

Charliechalk wrote :

Cheers,
Charlie

Youve chosen some great parties!
Stoked youve got Fungus Among Us on the list... it's shaping up to be our best gathering yet :bounce: :thumb:

Theres a facebook event page being updated regularly all the latest..
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=101180213278054

It's a shame youre only staying for 2 weeks.. stretch to a 3 weeks and do Tribeadelic, Breakn n Eggs (Mid North Coast NSW), Fungus Among Us and Rainbow Serpent

Or Fungus Among Us, Rainbow and Earth Freq.. :D

I bet many more gigs will come up to tickle your fancy between now n then...
synthz

Strawberry fields looks like it is going to be pretty epic. Rainbow is always awesome.
Marsoups

Tribeadelic NYE Festival (VIC)
New-E crew also do busting NYE parties I'm told...
Id' say avoid Brisbane for psy parties during NYE, that is, unless you enjoy 'mitre 10'..
Woodford is a good NYE festival tho but it has all kinds of folk / rock but loads of fun and often turns into a mudpit.
phoney

That's hilarious :lol:

Looks like someone forgot to pack the trippy banner that was supposed to go over the top into the truck.
Speshe

That's a bit harsh :) That was my first doof...very fond memories..mitre 10 and all haha
SpeakaHuggers

New Psycle NYE Newcastle :killah: :killah: :killah:
traveller

this hasnt been updated for a while, but most of these festivals run every year,
look up the names if youre keen

http://www.festivusaustralis.com/
insaneone

definatley dragon dreaming
~my personal oppinion anyways~
Charliechalk wrote :
Hi all,

I'm a Brit who's thinking about spending two weeks in Australia some time between December 2010 and March 2011; time to travel and find great psytrance. Great festivals I've been to so far include Origin (South Africa), Symbiosis (California), Glade (UK), Burning Man (Nevada) and now so, so, so keen to experience some great Australian ones! Along with psytrance I love my breakbeat, drum and bass and hard trance too. I've had a quick look for Australian psytrance festivals and have found the following: Rainbow Serpent, Earth Freq, Fungus Among Us, Spiral Harmonics.

Are there any other big music festivals I should add to that list? And if you know the dates when they are that will save me some searching time but no worries if not. The details I have so far are:

Cheers,
Charlie
Ecl1pse

Rainbow Serpent all the way. Then again it was my first big festival...at the start of the year :P So I don't have any other amazing benchmarks as nothing else I've been to has been on that scale...
kayhat

I don't really think Rainbow is that much of a bonafide psytrance party really, tbh. It has more prog and tech acts then psytrance. I would hang out until March until Matreya is on around melbourne, that has more of a ratio of psytrance acts.

Tribadelic definately is catered for psytrance.
Earthfreq is also not really what I would call a psytrance party either, it kinda runs in the same catagory as rainbow, more based around outdoor sounds rather then psytrance music as such.

This is not to put down any of these parties like rainbow & earthfreq, I just think the music in these parties has focused on a more diverse range of music that also includes (but not restricted to) psytrance.

I SURE DO MISS EXODUS! :cry: :cry: :cry:
itchytriggerniggerfingers

we miss your exodus.
kayhat

:mrgreen:
Marsoups

kayhat wrote :
I don't really think Rainbow is that much of a bonafide psytrance party really, tbh. It has more prog and tech acts then psytrance. I would hang out until March until Matreya is on around melbourne, that has more of a ratio of psytrance acts.

Tribadelic definately is catered for psytrance.
Earthfreq is also not really what I would call a psytrance party either, it kinda runs in the same catagory as rainbow, more based around outdoor sounds rather then psytrance music as such.

This is not to put down any of these parties like rainbow & earthfreq, I just think the music in these parties has focused on a more diverse range of music that also includes (but not restricted to) psytrance.

I SURE DO MISS EXODUS! :cry: :cry: :cry:

Earth Freq has a bit more variety this year than in years past, actually the lineup for EF is looking very good this year, I would say that will be the winner for big festivals early this year.. Rainbow seems to be losing a bit of its touch, not as many people saying they are excited to go to rainbow this year, last year it seemed to be the de-facto greeting at parties, this year I haven't picked that up, or maybe I just haven't been going out enough.;)
Rainbow is too centered around a certain style (prog) for my liking, and evidently many others, although it is generally diverse, the diversity of it stems from an overwhelming majority of a certain style. Also they haven't really changed the names in the lineup to suite the numbers attending....
My gut feel is they'll have slightly smaller numbers than last year, but we'll see :) It's still a awesome aussie festival and being a newcomer, it is recommended :)

Exodus was a great festival culturally, but it was always mired in different problems, politics, people sneaking in, organizers getting upset with people sneaking in and getting all public about it, sound systems not the best, lineups not that well thought out on main stages, but it had some really good shows and people did a lot of good work with their own personal performance.. The fire show was always something incredible at Exodus! :)
groovin

Winter psyfari was awesome.

I'd say summer will be one of the best.
kayhat

Marsoups wrote :
...Also they haven't really changed the names in the lineup to suite the numbers attending....
My gut feel is they'll have slightly smaller numbers than last year, but we'll see :) It's still a awesome aussie festival and being a newcomer, it is recommended :)

Exodus was a great festival culturally, but it was always mired in different problems, politics, people sneaking in, organizers getting upset with people sneaking in and getting all public about it, sound systems not the best, lineups not that well thought out on main stages, but it had some really good shows and people did a lot of good work with their own personal performance.. The fire show was always something incredible at Exodus! :)

To the former; Werd. Cheapskates. All other fests are coming out firing with awesome acts and Rainbow doesn't, really. I'd say they have to pay a pretty hefty insurance premuim and a lot of their budget would go towards just clearing the sheer number of people who go there. Still, you can't have have your burritos without the chilli, it couldn't be THAT much more to get some really shithot acts there, rather then promoters getting lazy with the "vibe" of it. It's kinda disrespectful to the punters not delivering the goods.

To the latter; Again, you're on the money. I never went to exodus for the acts really, it just had that vibe that I associate with all the best bits of the NNSW scene, it felt like home. The organisation DID suck, that's why it's not there any more. You can't fuck around and cut corners no more, everyone wants to be a promoter.
Ecl1pse

Marsoups wrote :
Marsoups wrote :
Rainbow is too centered around a certain style (prog) for my liking, and evidently many others, although it is generally diverse, the diversity of it stems from an overwhelming majority of a certain style. Also they haven't really changed the names in the lineup to suite the numbers attending....

Mmm, that sounds familiar. Rainbow was my first massive/hippie festival experience, everything else were the likes of Defqon and city Raves which...compared toRainbow are just fail. As far as numbers go, the sheer amount of people there was awesome, but it was also pretty intimate, especially at the camp sites. Past about midnight and into the morning they played some epic psy though.
Nightmosphere

Rainbow Serpent & Cairns Winter Solstice are the best of the lot for me.... but I love Techno, Minimal, Prog and all sorts of other music.

If you're looking for 3 days of full-on... can't really help you..
data

REGEN festival...usually around the end of april (ANZAC long weekend)...definitely worth checking out
20 posts Page 1 of 1