psytrance scenies are very sheepish.

General Discussion about the PsyTrance scene, way of life, etc.
60 posts Page 2 of 3
venatrix

Last edited by venatrix on Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simon

realitysoldier wrote :
simon wrote :
Is it just me or has the pub/nightclub scene become a breading ground for hypocrisy?. There seems to be an underlying sense in the scene, that people are benefiting mentally, spiritually and sometimes even physically from attending these events. i have met many opinionated people who vent their ides's on the dance floor, or at a camp site about love and freedom and environmentalism or human rights, yet in reality they are more likely to be influenced into taking drugs, drinking alcohol, smoking and all sorts of other things which are harmful to themselves,and others in cases.

Personally, i think with the influence of the idea that nightclubing can be or is beneficial, there is the potential for people to make some really bad life decisions, and have a very compromised view of themselves and the people around them eg: family and long time friends, i have an opinion on this matter because i have been through this and have witnessed examples of people going to a lot of party's , being influenced by the culture, eg: hippie clothes, dread lock's and ideas on how to improve society and world politics, having major relationship breakdowns with loved ones, getting hooked on drugs, (whilst convinced that if they eat well the next day they are fine.) and ending up alot worse off, older,depressed... the list goes on.

So to conclude my sociological examination of the nightclub scene, a lot of people are fucking up in life due to pub party's and the culture that comes with it, most thing's in moderation aren't too bad, take a look around at some of the characters getting around at nightclubs these days, behaving ridiculously and all. Some Boundary's are there for a reason, we have became civilized and clean for a reason, we wear clothes and have community's for a reason.
Though I'm sure all of you have the best of intentions, alot of people are not staying true to themselves (in the scene) and trying to be someone that they are not or someone they met at a nightclub.

Is it just me or has the racetrack/sports event scene become a breading ground for hypocrisy?. There seems to be an underlying sense in the scene, that people are benefiting mentally, spiritually and sometimes even physically from attending these events. i have met many opinionated people who vent their ides's on the lounge, or at an event about love and freedom and environmentalism or human rights, yet in reality they are more likely to be influenced into taking drugs, drinking alcohol, smoking and all sorts of other things which are harmful to themselves,and others in cases.

Personally, i think with the influence of the idea that sports eventing can be or is beneficial, there is the potential for people to make some really bad life decisions, and have a very compromised view of themselves and the people around them eg: family and long time friends, i have an opinion on this matter because i have been through this and have witnessed examples of people going to a lot of party's , being influenced by the culture, eg: hippie clothes, dread lock's and ideas on how to improve society and world politics, having major relationship breakdowns with loved ones, getting hooked on drugs, (whilst convinced that if they eat well the next day they are fine.) and ending up alot worse off, older,depressed... the list goes on.

So to conclude my sociological examination of the sports event scene, a lot of people are fucking up in life due to racetrack party's and the culture that comes with it, most thing's in moderation aren't too bad, take a look around at some of the characters getting around at sports events these days, behaving ridiculously and all. Some Boundary's are there for a reason, we have became civilized and clean for a reason, we wear clothes and have community's for a reason.
Though I'm sure all of you have the best of intentions, alot of people are not staying true to themselves (in the scene) and trying to be someone that they are not or someone they met at a sports event.

i could go on replacing the words doof with any other scene, but you get my point, no ?

Utterly ridiculous , my brain can't handle this level of ignorance, you want to make a mockery of this issue hey? Thats one point to me sucker !

Due to your immense intellect and decisive debating skills, I now agree with you. Please, continue forcing your view of how things are onto us, because we're all drug fucked hippies with no brains.
Mλtt

It's got a very psychedelic "culture" to it. The decor, music, etc speaks for itself. While I do think in all the doofs i've been to, the focus on taking large amount of drugs does seem to be rather prevalent. Like biodiversity said, moderation is key.
speekeesy

Mλtt wrote :
...While I do think in all the doofs i've been to, the focus on taking large amount of drugs does seem to be rather prevalent.....

This sentence needs more work... and maybe you need to speak just for yourself and your mates.
How do you quantify 'large amounts' and what is 'prevalent'? Are you omniscient and omnipresent? No.
venatrix

I don't think that people who go to doofs take significantly more illicit substances than people who attend any other music gathering.

Nightclubs?
Concerts?
Festivals (Good Vibes/Field Day etc)?
Raves?
Big Day Out?
Harbour cruises?

Tell me that these events don't attract a similar amount of substance use...

... and then there's the good ole pub.

People don't go doofing every week, but going to the pub at least once a week is fairly common.

The number of people who take drugs every day is fairly slim compared to the number of people who drink alcohol on a daily basis.

I'm not going to make a value judgement on which is 'better', 'safer', or has a higher shanti cred, a drug is a drug be it legal or illegal.
n-psy-t

Im going to attack your semantics... Rah rah rah :?
omnava25

[quote="venatrix"]I don't think that people who go to doofs take significantly more illicit substances than people who attend any other music gathering.

Nightclubs?
Concerts?
Festivals (Good Vibes/Field Day etc)?
Raves?
Big Day Out?
Harbour cruises?

Tell me that these events don't attract a similar amount of substance use...

... and then there's the good ole pub.

People don't go doofing every week, but going to the pub at least once a week is fairly common.

The number of people who take drugs every day is fairly slim compared to the number of people who drink alcohol on a daily basis.

I'm not going to make a value judgement on which is 'better', 'safer', or has a higher shanti cred, a drug is a drug be it legal or illegal.[/quote sorry ;p but I must disagree here, I don't think its ok to compare doofs to nightclubs ect , where there are much larger numbers , more often and so on,, and still I think the ratio of ppl to drugs at nightclub ect would be lesser than that of a doof, I don't have stats, but iv been to both and I know where I'd go if I needed some of the good stuff , and I also think that acceptance is the first step to recovery ;)
simon

omnava25 wrote :
sorry ;p but I must disagree here, I don't think its ok to compare doofs to nightclubs ect , where there are much larger numbers , more often and so on,, and still I think the ratio of ppl to drugs at nightclub ect would be lesser than that of a doof, I don't have stats, but iv been to both and I know where I'd go if I needed some of the good stuff , and I also think that acceptance is the first step to recovery ;)

you're confusing personal experience with fact.

so, you know someone who to see that happens to go to a doof. awesome, because i know no one and usually spend my time at a doof slightly tipsy these days, and when i do try and find something i usually cant. perhaps you can hook me up?? :) - my point is, supply of drugs is solely based on who you know - the event, place, setting, whatever has nothing to do with it. As you have just proven, if you cant find something at an event, the chances are there is someone else who can.

now, to illustrate why you are wrong on the ratio of people : drug use at events

http://www.bordermail.com.au/news/natio ... 26667.aspx

22 kilograms of methyl amphetamine and about 35,000 ecstasy tablets

thats just one shipment one month. in WA, which has about 1/3rd the population of NSW. so, lets assume that this is all the drugs that made it into the country... in a year ( yeah, right)...

if 22kg of bla bla is for WA, then we can assume that NSW would eat 3.1 times as much ( having 3.1 times the population) . thats ~68kg of bla bla; 68,000 * 20 doses (assuming 50mg standard dose ), that ~1.36 million doses of bla bla. assume that is consumed in a year ( however most likely this was a month or two supply ) do you honestly think the psy trance intake as a whole would make a dent in that?! even if every man and his dog at a doof ( which averages what, 200 - 400 people a week?) was eating three times that dose it wouldn't come anywhere near it!!!!!!

just because the psytrance scene feels some kind of protection being out in the bush and doesnt really hide their intake, doesnt mean we take more than other scenes, just that we dont hide it as well... this is why people notice it - because people in the doof scene have been getting less and less careful and far too open with their consumption.

and if the OP is so concerned for people "fucking out on drugs" perhaps he should talk to those people like real friend and not paint the whole scene with a brush that, in my case, does not fit. anymore ;)
kim evans

PLEASE learn when to use an apostrophe. Although your ideas are quite coherent and show mental acumen,your use of the apostrophe makes you look quite pre-school and for that reason alone people dont take your ideas seriously since you dont appear too bright. It takes 3 minutes to learn the use of an apostrophe and all of a sudden people will listen a bit more because you appear more believable in print. For a start,an apostrophe is NEVER used to show a plural eg one dog,two dog's . THEY denote OWNERSHIP eg the dog's tail (since the dog owns the tail) and they are used to show that a letter has been left out. Isn't that easy?
One other eensy thing,the plural of a word that ends in" y" is "ies" One canary, two canaries (not canary's)
Sorry to be such a pedantic wanker but ,strangely enough, people DO make perhaps misleading impressions of others because of their lack of correctness in expressing themselves.
treedreamer

sheepish...as in shy? no, no i guess that's not what you mean. tee hee - doofers aint shy!

of course the doof scene is as you say and frankly mr reality you do sound rather too mature for such shenanigans. it's just people's idea of a fun time and most of us grow out of it...you know, other things become more important like family, children, travel, solitude etc. i wouldn't worry so much - tho i fully understand your concerns - have had many similar issues which is why i rarely attend this scene anymore. just realised that yes, i was really messing up my life and being thin-ish through substance abuse wasn't worth it for my poor brain/soul status! but that's a personal stance and one can't really go about judging the choices of others. we all do things that aren't so perfect. there are people in the scene who are clean but i musn't have met them in the time i was attending. we all try to belong in one way or another and doofing is just one way and let's face it, it's pretty fun when it's good! nothing like a midnight dance floor in summer with the moon, stars and all that - yeah, i sure miss that sometimes.....
itchytriggerniggerfingers

treedreamer wrote :
it's pretty fun when it's good! nothing like a midnight dance floor in summer with the moon, stars and all that - yeah, i sure miss that sometimes.....

And we miss you Miss TeeDee :D
Stormflappen

Look - I shy away from the terminology 'scene'. I don't consider myself into 'the doof scene' at all. What I care about is the music. I'm really into the music. For me and a lot of people out there it's all about the music. A lot of people bring with them a lot of other stuff, including philosophy, politics, expectations, hypocrisy... (ad infinitum...), and I guess collectively that's what is considered 'the scene'. And that's cool. I've never had anyone out there try to 'convert' or 'con' me. I just let people do what they want and they let me do what I want.... and all to great music.

IT'S ALL ABOUT THE MUSIC!

...and try not to forget it.
venatrix

Last edited by venatrix on Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
speekeesy

This thread takes the cake for the stupidest ever.
Stormflappen

If it's all about the music then why does everyone take persian rugs :?: :idea:[/quote]

Everyone????? Way too many generalisations being flung around by nearly everyone on this thread.

Stupidest thread ever indeed....
venatrix

Last edited by venatrix on Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ATREYU

Stormflappen wrote :
If it's all about the music then why does everyone take persian rugs :?: :idea:

Cause it sounds soo much better. Duh :trip:
itchytriggerniggerfingers

venatrix wrote :
Stormflappen wrote :
Everyone????? Way too many generalisations being flung around by nearly everyone on this thread.

Oh sorry, should I have given you a statistic?

How about 90% of people at a party have taken an illicit substance, bring that up to 98% if you include alcohol and tobacco, and 100% have taken an illicit substance at some point in their life.

Being concerned about people who get into trouble with substance use is valid, but having a crai like the OP about it and blaming the scene, or the parties, or the music, or Shiva or whatever is useless and unproductive. Humans are social creatures who have congregated to make and enjoy music since forever. They also like to alter their state using a variety of means to feel good, connected, relaxed, and escape from the often heavy burden of life. This doesn't mean it's healthy to get wasted every weekend at parties or wherever indefinitely, or that 'wackytobaccy is from the ground maaaan, it's like nature so it's ok' or any shit like that. If you want to complain about something be outraged at the woefully inadequate health services and biased information available to the curious or those who need proper help. Your choice is pretty much go it alone or be bounced around a merry-go-round of substandard practitioners and religious evangelists and hope you land at the feet of someone who is actually useful. Unless you're rich of course, then you can get all the help you need.

This thread is indeed stupid.

stupid thread is stupid :lol:
Random Guy

realitysoldier wrote :
herbsandspices wrote :
And, I suspect, automated.

Either way, don't feed the douche.

Deeeeeeerrrrr, automated web bots that hack forums ???? As i said ,,,,lost its just me , s,,,,,,s ;) ps psytrance is for losers haaha :(

Oh how dry are my balls??

Very dry and they also need a lickin... and you need a kickin...
Nightmosphere

Doofs are parties..... for fun..... why so serious?
Drugs are great in moderation.....
Party politics are incredibly lame....
Everyone is guilty of hypocrisy at some point.....

Word.
venatrix

Nightmosphere wrote :
why so serious?

:m:
Nightmosphere

venatrix wrote :

:m:

Thats the way bruv :bonfire:
yummyfur

Reality soldier, I hear you. I understand deeply. And I have come to spread the word, change the world with a new paradigm. Just in time. The problems you speak of are not anything special about psytrance. It's a manifestion of the fact that no one thinks for themselves and worse than that no one is honest.

But worse than that is that, no one will acknowledge the problem. The solution is complex, you have to trust me. But if I say the solution people think they know or worse they feel threatened, because they feel silly that I'm referring to their specific behaviour, but everyone is the same.

It's all for women. Men are too scared. I have the secret knowledge for women, but they need to be given permission to listen. Someone has to tell them I'm a fucking genius and it's revolutionary and amazing and then they have permission.

Because my work is so new no one has told them what to think yet. And I'm too direct. I say stuff that no one has ever heard before and it's so obviously brilliant, but sure it's sounds brilliant and fun, and I can see how much of an improvement it is, and it's a no risk strategy, but no one has given me permission, they said it's wierd, so who do I believe, a bunch of loser idiots or my own eyes? Help me.

Really that's the size of it.

So I'm not saying anything any more unless I'm asked, once it starts the whole world will be improved. This is utterly new. I feel like peter sellers in the millionairesse. "free money, get your free money here" couldn't give it away.

so if there are any women out there who have noticed the discrepancy between what they know they like, by looking at their thoughts while gusset typing and what happens in reality and on the internet pr0n, then give me a tinkle and I'll let you in on a secret... It's all in your hand, you've got the power, but I'm the only one who knows. In the world. because I'm magic. No don't bother to check. carry on.

I mean you see all these goddess circles and women everywhere wishing there power to be real, wishing and affirming their womens power, you've got it but affirming won't help, you need to understand it.

It's so fucking funny. It's beautiful too because the power is what you know, not how you look. In fact it's easier for for miss average than miss make 15 year old pancake valley girl.
venatrix

yummyfur wrote :
Reality soldier, I hear you. I understand deeply. And I have come to spread the word, change the world with a new paradigm. Just in time. The problems you speak of are not anything special about psytrance. It's a manifestion of the fact that no one thinks for themselves and worse than that no one is honest.

But worse than that is that, no one will acknowledge the problem. The solution is complex, you have to trust me. But if I say the solution people think they know or worse they feel threatened, because they feel silly that I'm referring to their specific behaviour, but everyone is the same.

It's all for women. Men are too scared. I have the secret knowledge for women, but they need to be given permission to listen. Someone has to tell them I'm a fucking genius and it's revolutionary and amazing and then they have permission.

Because my work is so new no one has told them what to think yet. And I'm too direct. I say stuff that no one has ever heard before and it's so obviously brilliant, but sure it's sounds brilliant and fun, and I can see how much of an improvement it is, and it's a no risk strategy, but no one has given me permission, they said it's wierd, so who do I believe, a bunch of loser idiots or my own eyes? Help me.

Really that's the size of it.

So I'm not saying anything any more unless I'm asked, once it starts the whole world will be improved. This is utterly new. I feel like peter sellers in the millionairesse. "free money, get your free money here" couldn't give it away.

so if there are any women out there who have noticed the discrepancy between what they know they like, by looking at their thoughts while gusset typing and what happens in reality and on the internet pr0n, then give me a tinkle and I'll let you in on a secret... It's all in your hand, you've got the power, but I'm the only one who knows. In the world. because I'm magic. No don't bother to check. carry on.

I mean you see all these goddess circles and women everywhere wishing there power to be real, wishing and affirming their womens power, you've got it but affirming won't help, you need to understand it.

It's so fucking funny. It's beautiful too because the power is what you know, not how you look. In fact it's easier for for miss average than miss make 15 year old pancake valley girl.

No thanks. Really.
boondocksaint

I love doofs, the music, the shenanigans, the binges, the laughter, the conversations etc... but, along with the OP, I do feel an increasing frustration with all the doofers who seem to think that doofing is in some way 'virtuous', or 'good' or 'enlightened'. Yes: many of us connect with nature in our better moments at a doof. But our parties also fuck up nature: they disturb the existing animals, we leave trash behind... if we were such true environmentalists and post-capitalist enlightened people of the world, perhaps we would feel a little worse about our impact on the aussie bush. So many people at parties who are tripping seem to think that the act alone elevates them to enlightened status. It is so BORING. Few people are changing the world at a party. It's outside of a party that you get the opportunity to do that. More party, less 'we are the mind-expanded, all knowledgable, virtuous, open-minded blah blah blah'. If any of those things were true, would we feel the need to ramble about them or attempt to incorporate them into our very music culture? Or be so unoriginal and cheesy about the whole thing?
60 posts Page 2 of 3