Looking for authors for doof anthology

General Discussion about the PsyTrance scene, way of life, etc.
38 posts Page 1 of 2
kayhat

Doof – Stories about Australian Music Culture

Who are we and what do we propose?: We are Dean Rupcic and Kristian Hatton, two budding Editor/Authors, who are studying the very exciting degree of Writing & Publishing at NMIT Campus (Fairfield, Melbourne). Our studies this semester bring us a very fantastic opportunity of publishing our own anthology of work. This is an idea we wish to carry into the future, and we wish to share this opportunity with other budding authors too now.

Kristian has turned the idea of creating a volume of work based around the outdoor electronic music scene of Australia, to create more published literacy that will help other people external to the “Doof” scene have a more balanced perception of what happens within the culture. While a lot of works would be primarily of fictitious or creative non-fiction value, there is the wish for this anthology to present a point of view that has value when attempting to find knowledge about the Australian electronic music culture.

There is very little published work about the Australian scene specifically and we are always being put into a very negative storyline by the media, and he wished to change this perception to not an overly positive promotional one, but one that would have merit to people interested for gaining a more balanced perspective, possibly of value to academics.

When Kristian met Dean in class at NMIT, he found another person who was interested in broadening this definition of Australian electronic music culture to include the club, rave and indoor scenes of the city, as they provide a counter balance to write about and helps define our culture further and more precisely. We would still use the word “Doof” as a broad term to embrace the Australian celebration of beats, as this term is an Australian creation that can be applied to all electronic music, although more specifically outdoor music, which is our primary focus within this work.

What chance do we have of publication?: Within our study, we are presented with many opportunities to meet people directly connected with the publishing industry. The first thing we are going to is establish a blog specifically for this purpose of collecting work and working with other authors to get our work into a format that will be accepted for publication. We will also create a preliminary e-book format for this work for submission as a manuscript and stick with our roots in the social networking devices we have used for communication for years too.

What kind of work will be taken into consideration?: The anthology will be a collection of work by participants of the electronic music culture of Australia. There is a broad range of ground to work on, you can relate experiences, reviews, life changes, travels, how it fucks people up, what music you love/hate, how wasted you got at a party, how you feel the music culture is represented and demonized by the mainstream, comedy, How you think the culture will be in the future, fantasy, sci-fi, tragedy, rants, whatever. The important thing to remember is to have some point of view about what all this doof business means to you, past, present, future. This can also relate to clubs, raves, etc in the city, as it all music culture relates to each other in Australia and defines us further.

How will we accept submissions?: Email any work you may have to kristianhatton@yahoo.com.au or xdeanrupcicx@hotmail.com

Also tell us of any interest or queries you may have related to this work, we’ll try to answer and get back to you shortly. We’ll also shortly have other links for our blog, our facebook group page, as well as any other forums and social networks we are affiliated with (Thank you very much to all of these places to allow us to have a voice).

We will draw a line initially at 2000 words maximum per submission, as we will have edit all works ourselves to begin with, this will be a lot of work that we are doing on a voluntary basis for now until we gain interest. This may lead to publishing royalties to all authors if we score a good deal, this will be something discussed in the future. We accept short stories, poems, creative non-fiction, money, groupies and gifts.

Is there any deadline for submissions?: Obviously we would like work in as quick as possible. We are to start gathering work in some sort of format for public view on our blog, and we wish to have a preliminary manuscript ready for submission to editors by May/June, 2011.

So get those fingers clacking and write that story you’ve always wanted to tell and for others to see! Here’s your chance!

Beats and Blessings
Kristian “Kayhat” Hatton & Dean Rupcic – NMIT, Fairfield, Melbourne.
herbsandspices

It's interesting, and I wish you luck with it. Goes against my views about doofing though, which is, loosley paraphrasing Gandalf, "keep it secret, keep it safe".
kayhat

I think it's a viable project if done in the same fashion, small and fairly inconspicuous.

Plus I love making Venatrix cringe at the idea I could be an editor of wordyrappinghoods :P

The publishing course is going good, ya cranky ol' biddy! :mrgreen:
venatrix

kayhat wrote :
Kristian has turned the idea of creating a volume of work based around the outdoor electronic music scene of Australia, to create more published literacy that will help other people external to the “Doof” scene have a more balanced perception of what happens within the culture.

A noble cause indeed! I think we all agree that the doof scene needs to publish more literacy, how else will the rest of the clones really "get" the scene and our culture?

I've actually been working on a few pieces myself recently. I got the idea a long time ago but never really felt inspired to get it down on paper until now.

I'd actually like to share an excerpt from my latest project, it's a bit rough so be gentle folks

One night beside the jeep, we were all deprived of sleep
and there wasn't a bong anywhere to get us high,
I was tripping I suppose, like the rest of the drongos
when I thought I saw a flicker in the sky.

First there came a flash of blue hovering above the New
castle bush that seemed to glide towards me mate,
It began to travel fast and I shouted as it passed
"The reptilians are here, we must vacate!"
kayhat

venatrix wrote :
kayhat wrote :
Kristian has turned the idea of creating a volume of work based around the outdoor electronic music scene of Australia, to create more published literacy that will help other people external to the “Doof” scene have a more balanced perception of what happens within the culture.

A noble cause indeed! I think we all agree that the doof scene needs to publish more literacy, how else will the rest of the clones really "get" the scene and our culture?

I've actually been working on a few pieces myself recently. I got the idea a long time ago but never really felt inspired to get it down on paper until now.

I'd actually like to share an excerpt from my latest project, it's a bit rough so be gentle folks

I really quite like that. I'm willing to work past our differences and get that published if you want. :) (I can't quite say I expected to get a positive response from you and am pleased that things might be getting on a better footing, it's just stressful for me to have to butt heads with others all the time)

At this point, it's not a commercial endeavour. It's part of a study I'm doing on publishing and editing with someone else, and we are genuinely intrigued as to how the broader demographic might be interested in doof culture.

Many crew are, any who have been within any doof scene around Australia. I've wanted to do this project for a while and finally have ample motivation to put the time in, and am willing to see it out til I get some results. This will take a while to catch on, but we've waited so long so far without anything happening in the way of literary expression that waiting a little longer for it to evolve and take shape shouldn't matter.

Venatrix, feel free to ask more specifics if you like, and I'd like your permission to use your poem in a preliminary DIY publication so I have more of a collective body of works to get others inspired. It's just the kind of stuff I'm looking for and I will make sure that it's copyright protected if you haven't done so. I am looking into creative commons at the moment...

peace
K
venatrix

kayhat wrote :
I really quite like that. I'm willing to work past our differences and get that published if you want. :) (I can't quite say I expected to get a positive response from you and am pleased that things might be getting on a better footing, it's just stressful for me to have to butt heads with others all the time)

At this point, it's not a commercial endeavour. It's part of a study I'm doing on publishing and editing with someone else, and we are genuinely intrigued as to how the broader demographic might be interested in doof culture.

Many crew are, any who have been within any doof scene around Australia. I've wanted to do this project for a while and finally have ample motivation to put the time in, and am willing to see it out til I get some results. This will take a while to catch on, but we've waited so long so far without anything happening in the way of literary expression that waiting a little longer for it to evolve and take shape shouldn't matter.

Venatrix, feel free to ask more specifics if you like, and I'd like your permission to use your poem in a preliminary DIY publication so I have more of a collective body of works to get others inspired. It's just the kind of stuff I'm looking for and I will make sure that it's copyright protected if you haven't done so. I am looking into creative commons at the moment...

peace
K

No.

Lol!
kayhat

Are you sure?
kayhat

Actually, scratch that, your poem sucked anyway, I was just trying to be nice to you.

I shouldn't really exchange peace for the decline of literacy, in hindsight.

Keep writing though, I know how much you get off looking at your own words on the screen.
venatrix

kayhat wrote :
Actually, scratch that, your poem sucked anyway, I was just trying to be nice to you.

I shouldn't really exchange peace for the decline of literacy, in hindsight.

Keep writing though, I know how much you get off looking at your own words on the screen.

I'm surprised you didn't recognise it as The Drover's Dream... actually no I'm not 8)

Ps which one of us is trying to publish their own anthology?
Satori

Why are you such a bitch all the time?

Why do I keep coming onto Australiens??? It's like all it is these days is Venatrix being an obnoxious bitch to everyone and religious nutjobs spouting bullshit.....
acid_reign

+1

Could we finally have a groundswell against the vitriolic bullshit?

:vomitonyou:
itchytriggerniggerfingers

Here's your groundswell.

^^ Yeah. Lip, that's what I'm talkin about
Satori

Fuck that's solid! Is that ours?
itchytriggerniggerfingers

Yep, although I prefer to call it "Not Theirs" :mrgreen:
FeralBrown

venatrix wrote :
kayhat wrote :

Surry, I bin livin out 'ere in dese backhills where we don't speak to goodly and only rite our naims with a X or in tha dirt, what's hard to read becuz it blows away and washes away with the weather and shit... but my ma always sez "literature"... I knoe she not tha cleverist in our family, tho!

Anyway, the sweet irony of dumbfuck grammatical Nazism aside, Kayhat- ask Dale (Veil) for the details of the Earth Dreaming fellow that has done just what you're intending... anecdotes of awesome abound! :)
Good luck!
kayhat

Thanks Feral Brown! That post actually made me want to contribute more. ^_^

I'm glad that some people realise there's more to life then trying to make out how amazingly intelligent they are at the expense of others. It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice. If other people don't try to have more respect for each other, we haven't got anything.

I have contacted Graham St John, he was very helpful to me. I'll try to get in contact with Dale, I reckon all those earth dreaming cats would have presicely the sort of info I'm looking for :)

I've gotten together about 15 short stories that I'm happy with so far and am still looking for more chiefs to get on board with this ;)
venatrix

FeralBrown, I'm actually incredibly relieved that someone finally noticed it. I thought it was a bright flashing neon sign that I was taking the piss, along with the 'clones' line and the essence of Bogue in the pohartree. Oh how wrong I was.
Last edited by venatrix on Sat May 21, 2011 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fnarky

So civilized
acid_reign

Wow, where would this forum be without the grammer police. I can only hope they never introduce spell chek, we would lose all of the super intellectual discourse. I guess we can all be relieved.
susan

venatrix wrote :

haha. i love you still ;)
susan

itchytriggerniggerfingers wrote :
Here's your groundswell.

jesus mate, as a life long fan... that's one of the best i've ever seen. X
kayhat

venatrix wrote :
FeralBrown, I'm actually incredibly relieved that someone finally noticed it. I thought it was a bright flashing neon sign that I was taking the piss, along with the 'clones' line and the essence of Bogue in the pohartree. Oh how wrong I was.

It's very sad that you could be so cynical, really. How awful for you to be so unaware that you're consuming yourself and yet claim to be so intellegent. There, there honey, it's okay, we both know you're trying so hard to be recognised for the mental giant you are.

Did you spot the spelling mistake in the last paragraph? Can you plz point it out for me? We really need you to clarify it.

Here's a site that might put your talents to better use, then you can stop harrassing everyone else.

http://bookoven.com/splash/

Beware the wrathful deities, Venatrix, they will consume you. Not that you believe in buddhism, you're far too intelligent for that, aren't you my dear?
venatrix

kayhat wrote :
It's very sad that you could be so cynical, really. How awful for you to be so unaware that you're consuming yourself and yet claim to be so intellegent. There, there honey, it's okay, we both know you're trying so hard to be recognised for the mental giant you are.

Did you spot the spelling mistake in the last paragraph? Can you plz point it out for me? We really need you to clarify it.

Here's a site that might put your talents to better use, then you can stop harrassing everyone else.

http://bookoven.com/splash/

Beware the wrathful deities, Venatrix, they will consume you. Not that you believe in buddhism, you're far too intelligent for that, aren't you my dear?

I'm consuming myself. Right then.

It's really not too much to ask to learn how to read and write properly. Perhaps one day you might learn how to patronise someone without being sexist. It's a handy skill to have.
kayhat

venatrix wrote :
I'm consuming myself. Right then.

Pretty much, hey.

At least being extremely negative.

Surely you understand enough about the world to realise that negativity can consume you. I've learnt that sometimes intelligence is sometimes not a virtue when you use it to belittle other people frequently and constantly.

venatrix wrote :
It's really not too much to ask to learn how to read and write properly.

You're not the editor of australiens, why bother pursuing something that only pisses others off? I mean, thanks and all, you put me on my toes, but why? Next you'll be pulling people up for not using semi-colons to seperate independent clauses (Please don't do that!). Where the parentheses in the right place? Note that I used the plural form of parenthesis, do I get a gold star?

Your assumption has been that I don't know anything about grammar or punctuation, but I'll tell you that: 1. correcting grammar on the internet is just completely pointless and stupid, and 2. I actually can use grammar and punctuation, but I use the internet for leisure, not for mindful publishing. Hold your retort about mindful publishing, can you?

You know that already and you just like annoying me, right? It's not going to ever be a very fruitful activity for you though, nothing ever is if it's performed under negative criteria. I actually have to train myself to not be brought down to that level and have been frequently unsuccessful in the past, to which trolls get their kicks from my reactions.

venatrix wrote :
Perhaps one day you might learn how to patronise someone without being sexist. It's a handy skill to have.

As I said, I just brought myself down to your level by pissing you off, I know sexism is a particularly sore point with you. But no more, I'm just telling you straight that I don't really want to get in these bullshit arguements with you anymore and that I'm trying not to get caught up in all this perpetually negative crap.

If you have a sense of decency, maybe you can be a bit more mindful of your communication in the future. I'm sure you'll rubbish that, though, but feel free to prove me wrong. I never really wanted to get into beef with you, I just reacted poorly.
venatrix

kayhat wrote :
You know that already and you just like annoying me, right?

No. I do not post for the express purpose of 'annoying you'. That is something which as 12 year old would do. Also something that a juvenile would do is claim that they are really very good at grammar but they just use the internets for fun and it's not serious so why bother writing properly? Come on mate, you're a grown up. You can take the time to text 'Hey are you going out tonight' instead of 'hai r u goin2 out 2nite' and you can take an extra .08 seconds to hit the shift key to capitalise.

Anyway it's all academic really because you are a tedious pest who lacks the ability to adapt.
38 posts Page 1 of 2