3 Open Letters

General Discussion about the PsyTrance scene, way of life, etc.
34 posts Page 1 of 2
Elysium

"Many artist and DJ's struggle to get booked at Festivals and parties these days and have a very hard time to be "allowed" to make the music they like to make without having Record labels telling them how to make the music according to their idea of how it should sound like. It is a puzzle why our scene has turned in this direction and why it is that so many talented artists time after time have to be told that there's no room for them at the Festivals/parties, the spots are all booked, try next year etc. or that they can come and play for free and by the way also pay their own transportation. It would also be nice to to know why there is no room at the Mainstages for those artists that make less fast but yet very danceable music and why so many organizers think that music that do not fit the category of "fast music" instantly have to be chill-out or downbeat and by that interfere with real chill-out and downbeat at the chill-out stages. Chill-out stages that soon become anything but chill-out and downbeat to the regret of many talented chillout/downbeat artists and the audience there.

It is also a puzzle why so many Label's seem to believe that quantity over quality is better and that they know better than the artists how their music should sound or how fast it should be. It is time to ask them some questions and hear why so many of them think faster copy & paste music is better than personal style and individuality.

E-mails has been send out to as many organizers, labels and artists as possible and informed them about this website and Forum and asked them kindly to participate with their honest answers and input. There are no "trick" questions to them and it is in no way an atempt to point fingers at anyone.
But the time has come where the many problems and issues has top come out in the open and see if we via information and a constructive debate hopefully can change things a little for the better. For all of us. You the organizers, labels, artists and not to forget the many people that love the music and year after year loyal visit the Festivals and "buy" the music. Everybody have been informed that their answers will be posted un-edited at this website and that it is up to them to participate or not."

Join the debate at:

http://www.elysium-project.net/openletters/openletters.htm

BLAY

Meh.

Borderline spam.

You make a good point, but the only way things will change is if more original labels like zenon and open keep popping up around the place, and people remain prepared to support these labels.

If you are nasty that you music is just too original and misunderstood for a label to pick it up - try myspaceor the like, drum up some interest for your style on a few forums and before long the right people will hear it. (of course throwing a few demos around some parties wouldnt hurt).

I really am too intoxicated to detail all I have to say on this matter - but basically if you have developed a style that is 'unreleasable', perhaps the psyscene is the wrong place for you to try - or you could always team up with some like minded producers and start your own label...

It all comes down to the fact that not enough people are buying cds - dont blame the labels for playing the safe option and trying to get some returns on their investment - if they go broke they wont be releasing much at all now - will they?

My JD soaked $0.02 ;)

cheers

Blay

Elysium

BLAY wrote :
Meh.

Borderline spam.

You make a good point, but the only way things will change is if more original labels like zenon and open keep popping up around the place, and people remain prepared to support these labels.

If you are nasty that you music is just too original and misunderstood for a label to pick it up - try myspaceor the like, drum up some interest for your style on a few forums and before long the right people will hear it. (of course throwing a few demos around some parties wouldnt hurt).

I really am too intoxicated to detail all I have to say on this matter - but basically if you have developed a style that is 'unreleasable', perhaps the psyscene is the wrong place for you to try - or you could always team up with some like minded producers and start your own label...

It all comes down to the fact that not enough people are buying cds - dont blame the labels for playing the safe option and trying to get some returns on their investment - if they go broke they wont be releasing much at all now - will they?

My JD soaked $0.02 ;)

cheers

Blay

I am not sure you got the point and whole picture of the initiative and it's certantly nothing to do with spam.

Maybe go and check out the website and read whats written there´instead of writing stuff here you clearly got the wrong picture about.

And I believe I am quite suitable for the psy scene after 13 years in it ;)

Kristian

BLAY

Oh I guess I was missing the point - its a mass derbate ;)

bro youve been in the trance scene so long youre practically a trance officionado - im a mere pleb on the dancefloor that uses soulseek and doesnt really care whats playing anyway, as long as its FAST and has a deadly guitar riff. So my opinion really isnt valid anyway.

does anyone know if skazi is playing at boom?

Ok so im kidding - I'll read your post if you read mine, how about that?

Cyberwlf

To quote the name of a Kindzadza Vs Highcosmos track "If its too fast then you are too old"! :P

:twisted:

Galactic Monkey

Hahaha

The BPM has nowhere to go but up!

tripn

Cyberwlf wrote :
To quote the name of a Kindzadza Vs Highcosmos track "If its too fast then you are too old"! :P

Galactic Monkey wrote :
Hahaha

why dont you guys just go raving

Cyberwlf

Because raves are shit in more ways than i could care to count? And because I love doofs and psytrance.

I'd say that might be why ;)

And hey, if it's too fast, maybe it's time to book yourself that spot in the old age home already, because you might be needing it soon! :twisted:

tripn

Cyberwlf wrote :
Because raves are shit in more ways than i could care to count? And because I love doofs and psytrance.

I'd say that might be why ;)

And hey, if it's too fast, maybe it's time to book yourself that spot in the old age home already, because you might be needing it soon! :twisted:

nah. i have no problem with fast stuff. as long as its good. but usually faster psytrance is much less dancable and only spastics like it. (except for mandalavandalz) :P

Cyberwlf

Well enroll me first in line in the spastics club then! ;)

(Goes back to listening to his spastic beat finnish psy....) :P

Galactic Monkey

tripn wrote :
Cyberwlf wrote :

Galactic Monkey wrote :
Hahaha

Cos high BMP on its own is not reason enough for me to listen to a style of music.

Hey Cyberwlf, could you throw me some spastic finnish artist names? I'm not very familiar with the Scandinavian dark side but I would like to know more about it.

simon

BLAY wrote :

you could also say that because labels are playing it safe, no one is buying CD's. I know that my purchases have gone down recently because its getting harder to find stuff thats not cookie cutter psy.

Elysium has been producing for years. i remeber his tracks from the old old old days when TIP world was just TIP and not a cheese factory... i thought he'd stopped producing, but it appears its just the labels not wanting to take a chance. which is a pity :(

fast music has its place, just not all fucking night.

snarf

tripn wrote :
Cyberwlf wrote :

Galactic Monkey wrote :
Hahaha

It seems like people who are generally into fast music around the 160ish bpm mark have strayed away from the psychdelicness of the music and are just into the amphetamine driven bang bang bang of it.

Cyberwlf

If what you say is true snarf, why is the main sound at all the large parties in Cairns both Dark Psy and Progressive? Does that mean all progressive lovers are like that too?

Incidently from my own perspective as one whose not a fan of amphetamines in general, I have to say i've seen as rampant usage from all sides of the camp, certainly doesn't come across as something specific to any genre/sub-genre of psy to me, despite what mud each side seems to sling at each other.

snarf

Cyberwlf wrote :
If what you say is true snarf, why is the main sound at all the large parties in Cairns both Dark Psy and Progressive? Does that mean all progressive lovers are like that too?

First off, a promoter decides what music goes on at their party and their choice is usually based on their personal preference. This discussion is about the music itself and not about individual parties or scenes directly.

Just because someone is at a party with that music playing doesnt mean they like it, for all you know alot of people may stay away from the excessively fast music and wait for the morning music. Have a close look when people are moving around to 160+ bpm music compared to more usual speeds and you will see that there is a major difference. One is real dancing and the other is a strange type of hop while twitching (usually seen at raves!). If you cant admit that, you are fooling yourself!

Let this thread go back to what it was originally intended to be about. I bet you will respond again though!

Cyberwlf

Yes I am responding again, just to address your points ;)

From all i've read/heard about Cairns parties (unfortunately no first hand experience yet!) the dance floor is packed in the night times right through till well in the day time. So clearly lots of people like both. Obviously there will be those who prefer only or the other too.

And I can't say i've really seen even more than 1 or 2 djs play 160bpm + music down this way to have much of an opportunity to watch peoples dancing patterns during it.

So will you respond to me again? :P

raptor

Cyberwlf wrote :
And I can't say i've really seen even more than 1 or 2 djs play 160bpm + music down this way to have much of an opportunity to watch peoples dancing patterns during it.

so guy, you are advocating generally fast music without any understanding of it or experience in watching how it effects a dancefloor?

Darkone

snarf wrote :

It seems like people who are generally into fast music around the 160ish bpm mark have strayed away from the psychdelicness of the music and are just into the amphetamine driven bang bang bang of it.

Well said.

It is a fad for people who have forgotten what Psychedelic music is or those that never really did know in the first place. Lots of the up and coming dj's seem to be into it, maybe they think it's 'hard' or whatever having never experienced psychedelic nightmusic. I tend to find it very boring and have seen it's effects on Dancefloors interstate, it empties them as it lacks any sustainable rhythmic structure instead relying on unrelenting kickdrums and novelty effects.

I guess it exists and serves to fuel the ego of the dj playing it and typically a few of their friends, who are usually dj's themselves.

tripn

Darkone wrote :
snarf wrote :

Well said.

It is a fad for people who have forgotten what Psychedelic music is or those that never really did know in the first place. Lots of the up and coming dj's seem to be into it, maybe they think it's 'hard' or whatever having never experienced psychedelic nightmusic. I tend to find it very boring and have seen it's effects on Dancefloors interstate, it empties them as it lacks any sustainable rhythmic structure instead relying on unrelenting kickdrums and novelty effects.

I guess it exists and serves to fuel the ego of the dj playing it and typically a few of their friends, who are usually dj's themselves.

spot on. like ive said before... save it for the raves.

Sensum

i saw these people after listening to night music for too long once.

ionized

^^ harsh world dude?!

Hope they didnt try to violate you with their shrivelled up tail-cocks.

Darkone

Sensum wrote :
i saw these people after listening to night music for too long once.

Last time I listened to progressive for too long it made me want to drink more.

ATREYU

Blah blah bladiblah blah

Cyberwlf

Raptor wrote :
Cyberwlf wrote :

so guy, you are advocating generally fast music without any understanding of it or experience in watching how it effects a dancefloor?

so lui, at what point prior to snarf posting was there any definition as to what this 'fast' music was defined as? snarf was the one who made the call on 160+, not me. and i merely said i haven't seen more than 1 at most 2 djs even play such things. and where's this assumption coming from as to whether i understand it or not?

Galactic Monkey

snarf wrote :
tripn wrote :
Cyberwlf wrote :

Galactic Monkey wrote :
Hahaha

Really? In my experience it is the "progressive" psy that is far less psychedelic than the fast night time music. When I say "less psychedelic" i mean less changes in the music per minute and when I say fast night time I mean beats of around 150 bmp. I never even heard a 160 bpm track I don't think.
34 posts Page 1 of 2