The Evolution of Psy-Trance

General Discussion about the PsyTrance scene, way of life, etc.
40 posts Page 1 of 2

Do you see the evolution of Psy-Trance as..

No votes
Ending soon
14%
Ending on late Dec 2012
34%
Continue to mutate into this sort of electronic space punk galactic hippy hybrid alien type shht.
51%
Forever evolving to higher frequencies, higher highs, and take over the universe. Say Word!!

Total votes: 35

Esoterica2000-III

I was in somewhat deep thought about this the other day, what does the future hold for Psy-Trance? How will it evolve, and into what exactly? Electronica’s natural flow in soundscape has given life forms to many new frequencies, all sorts of diverse genres have mutated into something special, Psy-Trance in particular being one of them. What’s your take on its evolutionary path? What direction do you see it talking in the near or far away future?

telli

i think fartsient is a pretty good indication...

Druid Of Psy

I think it will change maybe in 10 years or so, perhaps into a psychedelic scene and a progressive scene....

with the new tunes coming out it sounds as if it has a bit of "break" style involved in it, such as sudden pauses during the tracks, i see this because everyone is trying as hard as they can to sound different to everyone else,

Sunrunner

I'd like to know that myself... and only time will tell.

I certainly would like to think its cyclical in nature... and that eventually producers will start making music with the same amount of magic and feeling as they used to ;)

There's just too much generic music these days... BUT, there are also a lot of artists that are trying to change that. I think eventually the same-ies will be pushed to the back in favour of those doing something different.

Hmmm... very random thoughts. Who knows? :)

Dwight.

Esoterica2000-III

telli wrote :

I take fartsient is an artist.. :?: Yes :?: I'll look it up :!:
:)

Esoterica2000-III

Druid Of Psy wrote :

I think it will change maybe in 10 years or so, perhaps into a psychedelic scene...

Psychedelic aey? Wow, who would have thought. :shock:

suspiria

here is something for the masses to stomach.. if we all want this genre to go places then how about we all start SUPPORTING the stuff on the fringe eh? quit going to the big mainstream events and show a want for the artists doing their own thing..

the only reason things dont evolve is because ppl keep forking out for the same old tired shite... i know this doesn't apply to many of us on these here forums but its something to consider... music becomes generic when it becomes easy to apply formula and still be "a star" in the scene...

Dreamthief

See. I don't know about this kind of attitude. One of my other psoducer mates says he hasn't heard any psytrance like the stuff I write, but to me, it's just "full on". People tell me that my tunes are also dark. I don't see that either. It's just the shit I write. I think it's fun music. Full of fun. I'm not trying to break new ground. I'm just having fun.

See, I dunno. There was a fair set of Sydney acts when I moved to melbourne. I'd be more interested in why there's so little support for them. I know when Barry and I were sill going very strong with Locrian, we had the support we needed to push ourselves to get our sound, and got gigs relaively regularly during the party seasons, thanks to Liquid Lab, Yak & Yeti, Hypnotribe, Hyperboria crews for the gigs that we did get. Without the Yak & Yeti support, I don't really know if we'd have been around or as strong by te end as we were. I was constantly pushing to live up to the standards I had in my head due to Lui and Ming (You guys rock!).

I know SETH was getting a few gigs, and so was Urtek/Hypnos, but not as many. Why the hell not? I know summer is coming up. How about someone give Bob and Steve a gig, and Hypnos, and Gizmo. Come on guys, these guys are real innovators. Damn. look at the EPP comps. Every one of thse people from the first couple of non-commercial ones was a Sydney regular. Someone you sw at parties. You loved the cds. Now give them a gig.

suspiria

^^^ are your rants and whinges not the same as what i'm ultimately saying?

Dreamthief

Pete - Were you talking to me with that last one?

suspiria

nah, i just love the cock...

Esoterica2000-III

lol :lol:

crystaltech

something i've wondered is why someone like Rip Van Hippy hasnt played Sydney or its surroundings, well that i know of. I saw that he played at Bellingen Global Carnival a couple of years ago. He writes unusual, crazy trippy music.
Or anyone from the Psy-harmonics label.

Mimm

We're definately seeing huge psy influences in stuff that's gone so far in a different direction that it's not quite psy anymore. Hmm, what do I mean? Kinda like the new tracks x-dream had going when they came out a few months back, and the experimental stuff Infected Mushroom has on the second cd of Converting Vegetarians, and some of the super heavy stuff at the far end of butt rock goa heavy guitar stuff. My theory is we're going to see more and more influences from the creators of other styles of music discovering psy and incorporating it's beats in their work, and current psytrance artists continuing to stretch the boundries of what defines it. I mean, compared the the origional purist Goa stuff that artists Goa Gil and Raja Ram were doing 15 years ago, what on earth is Skazi and 1200 mics? Or for a chilled out example, ambient stuff from Younger Brother?
Now that I think about it, what the hell does define psy? Every time I think hmm, it's a specific rythm, or the sounds or the feel, damn, there's some artist who doesn't incorporate one or all of these factors!

Oh, shit, my reality just colapsed in on it's self.

Someone, please tell me what the hell I've been listening to all this time and why do we call it psy?

I've just tied my brain in a knot.

suspiria

i wouldn't call the second Converting Vegetarians CD psychedelic nor pushing boundaries.. its just mainstream crap, the crap you can hear on 10000s of CDs and Ibiza-like dancefloors...

kudos to them for wanting to reach a broader audience.. nothing wrong with that at all, but it aint groundbreaking in the slightest.. want groundbreaking? pickup a Venetian Snares CD :twisted: :twisted: this is, of course, my opinion not THE TRUTH... <- disclaimer to avoid the usual Australien's trademarked whinging...

Gozer

Mimm wrote :
I mean, compared the the origional purist Goa stuff that artists Goa Gil and Raja Ram were doing 15 years ago, what on earth is Skazi and 1200 mics? Or for a chilled out example, ambient stuff from Younger Brother?

Raja Ram & GMS = 1200 Mics ... Raja Ram & Simon Posford = Shpongle ... Simon Posford & Benji Vaughan (Prometheus) = Younger Brother
My point is that the Psy-world is my favourite place for '6 Degrees of Seperation'. Go have a look to find out who Vatos Locos, Twisted System, Biodegradable and Qlap are/were made up of. The original people may just still be here with the sound of today just with a few more mates ;)

suspiria wrote :
the only reason things dont evolve is because ppl keep forking out for the same old tired shite... i know this doesn't apply to many of us on these here forums but its something to consider...

Interesting when taken in context of Mimm. Would agree with your point, in a finer sense that it ceases to evolve when the same people are doing the same thing in larger amounts - be that attending parties to releasing records.

telli

Roque78 wrote :
telli wrote :

I take fartsient is an artist.. :?: Yes :?: I'll look it up :!:
:)

uhhh not entirely sure. its a track made up of farting and, as me and my mate adam brown call it, the psytrance brown noise! or a few brown noises in this case.

its a bloody funny track and my mate pyetye dropped it (what a pun! huhuh) at a party recently. absolute gold!

telli

with respect to psytrance evolution...

im really loving the progressive side of things = psygressive

and the driving techy stuff = psytek

and the breaky drumnbassy stuff as well = psybreaks

note the common denominator in all cases is the fact that it remains

PSYCHEDELIC!

as for the six degrees of separation theory, its true.

and it also means that you have to ship in less artists for a festival, coz one artist can make up to five or so outfits. marketing genius!!!

Esoterica2000-III

telli wrote :
uhhh not entirely sure. its a track made up of farting and, as me and my mate adam brown call it, the psytrance brown noise! or a few brown noises in this case.

its a bloody funny track and my mate pyetye dropped it (what a pun! huhuh) at a party recently. absolute gold!

I'd imagine "fartsient" would be hard to get, also I should have put "fartsient" as one of the options in the poll, fartsient rips one (pun) way past the future!

Gozer

telli wrote :
as for the six degrees of separation theory, its true.

and it also means that you have to ship in less artists for a festival, coz one artist can make up to five or so outfits. marketing genius!!!

Jade is my favourite colour too! :lol:
Mentioned nothing about a certain group of overseas artists (although one might not be considered so overseas) who have been working on different albums in 2004. 7 albums came from essentially 4 groups (5 members in total) with varying degrees of work (creation to mastering) passed between each other and released in a very short space of time (Feb to Jun - maybe wrong). It essentially cured my craving for that particular style this year and I have been able to move focus on other Psy. They were all great to brillant in quality, they're get played regularly, the core style was there while the originiality varied and at least 3 of them will probably make my Top 10 albums for this year .. maybe .. and it is not the usual suspects.

Provided that it isn't same shit different record I'm fine with it; Same with a lineup - as long as it isn't same prevailing style. If you're able to save on a great lineup then it just leaves more $$ for decorations, right? :wink:

telli

i didnt write in jade ?¿?

Gozer

telli wrote :
i didnt write in jade ?¿?
The sentiment was there, it just lacked colour.

telli

ok lah :shock:

Dreamthief

Fartsient is one of Tim Sensient's tracks. He's a wacky, wacky guy.

SamuraiJack

Dreamthief. This is odd. And I think you might be talking fan-yen. I have heard you say to me before that your tracks have a darker edge and so on. SO. Obviously you can see they have a bit of a dark tinge, which personally I think is fucking good because it's different. Your tracks which aren't shit are only crap. Sometimes they're even good. Fuck, some of them I'd even dance to. ;P

But if you can't see that there is a distinct difference between your style and more mainstream trance, I'd wonder if you are even listening to your own music.
40 posts Page 1 of 2