Pick your angst - rap, metal or trance

Off Topic discussion. Use this board to discuss general, non PsyTrance related topics.
18 posts Page 1 of 1

Trance makes me...

No votes
Suicide
No votes
Self-harm
100%
Masturbate over a 3some with Baz and Timmy's mums

Total votes: 11

venatrix

DOCTORS should ask their teenage patients what type of music they prefer to determine if they are at risk of developing a mental illness or committing suicide, researchers say.

A study, published in today's Australasian Psychiatry journal, found that teens who listen to pop music are more likely to be struggling with their sexuality, those tuning in to rap or heavy metal could be having unprotected sex and drink-driving, and those who favour jazz are usually misfits and loners, prompting a call for doctors to include musical tastes as a diagnostic indicator in mental health assessments.

Deliberate self-harm and attempted suicide was also associated with teenagers who listened to trance, techno, heavy metal and medieval music as part of the goth subculture, while those who attended dance parties were much more likely than their peers to be taking drugs.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/health/pick-your-angst--rap-metal-or-trance/2008/08/04/1217701950029.html

I gotta go to uni, talk amongst yourselves. I will be back my pretties.

tripn

talk about a wide brush hey. they are wrong too. except for the part about the goths. but definately wrong about the dance music categories. if by deliberate self harm they mean drug abuse then sure, but ive never known any techno and trance people to be taking razorblades to themselves or committing suicide more frequently than average.
Last edited by tripn on Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tripn

while teens listening to hip-hop were usually less troublesome,

what a load of fucking shit. who the hell did they do this study on? lol

phoney

Yeah WTF have people who listen to techno/trance got to do with goths ?

MotherShabubu

Just to balance the sensationalised science reporting with the actual science:
Can music preference indicate mental health status in young people? wrote :
This paper surveys and discusses the relevant literature on music preference and adolescent music listening behaviours, and their links with adolescent mental health.
Conclusion: Studies have found a relationship between various genres of music and antisocial behaviours, vulnerability to suicide, and drug use. However, studies reject that music is a causal factor and suggest that music preference is more indicative of emotional vulnerability. A limited number of studies have found correlations between music preference and mental health status. More research is needed to determine whether music preferences of those with diagnosed mental health issues differ substantially from the general adolescent population.

i.e. We reviewed previous literature and while occasionally suggestive it doesn't prove shit.

ionized

tripn wrote :

Possibly actual hip hop fans rather than US culture parodies that listen to RnB and 2Pac??
I've found most people into the aussie stuff tend to be pretty serious about chillin the fuck out.

phoney wrote :

Hmm... heaps?

tripn

ionized wrote :
tripn wrote :

Possibly actual hip hop fans rather than US culture parodies that listen to RnB and 2Pac??
I've found most people into the aussie stuff tend to be pretty serious about chillin the fuck out.

so they tested a very small minority of the hip-hop audience. if you disclude all american rap and r&b from the hip-hop genre then maybe your right. i tend to think of them in that category though.

The Journey Man Project

what joke. I listen to metal and trance and techno... I have never done drink driving, I always where a dinger when screwing and the only self harm I ever did was a bottle of tequila in 1 night :lol:

I need to change my genres I guess... I'm too much of a goodie-2-shoes poser for either scene :lol:

Dr. Scientist

phoney wrote :
Astrix, Raptor, berserk nights, crystalline effect, anime..... ohh and copiuos amounts of DMT. Other than that, WTF they onabout.

The Journey Man Project

I know many a goth who loveth the tech trance and dark psy sounds.

venatrix

You know, I was going to say something on topic and about myself, but then I realised that there is a fucking creep on here who will undoubtedly google the shit out of anything I post and then post it up here for everyone to see like a rabid psycho. Good times.

Dr. Scientist

venatrix wrote :
You know, I was going to say something on topic and about myself, but then I realised that there is a fucking creep on here who will undoubtedly google the shit out of anything I post and then post it up here for everyone to see like a rabid psycho. Good times.
Who's the psycho? interest is piqued. Or is it another pschosis and we should disregard?

venatrix

Dr. Scientist wrote :
venatrix wrote :
Who's the psycho? interest is piqued. Or is it another pschosis and we should disregard?

You haven't been paying much attention have you? Ps fuck you!

kayhat

It didn't say drillcore. Drillcore is MY angst music...

arcadian

The Journey Man Project wrote :
I know many a goth who loveth the tech trance and dark psy sounds.

yeah they are called "gravers" :roll:

Impious

tripn wrote :

I'd just like to say that there are two types in the hip hop scene: the wannabe gangsters and those in it for the knowledge. I'd say the latter type are those who tend to be less troublesome.

gher

Must have been a slow news day. Is the point of the article to typecast people according to music tastes or to discourage typecasting?

This bit's a cack:
Some genres of rap music, such as French rap, were linked to more deviant behaviours including theft, violence and drug use, while teens listening to hip-hop were usually less troublesome, Dr Baker said.

I got to get me some French rap!

infinafta

Impious wrote :
I'd just like to say that there are two types in the hip hop scene: the wannabe gangsters and those in it for the knowledge.

Oh.
18 posts Page 1 of 1