Venue thoughts

Off Topic discussion. Use this board to discuss general, non PsyTrance related topics.
40 posts Page 1 of 2
third tier

SPACE NIGHTCLUB

I think we have all been to space at one time or another... Infected Mushroom, Skazi to name but a few.
Space is a purpose built venue designed for large scale dance parties!

It has that middle ground feel between a really swish venue and an gritty underground late night club.

Space comprises the 300-capacity Antebar leading into a huge 1,000-capacity main room equipped with the very best sound and lighting system.
This state-of-the-art sound and lighting is backed up by full dressing room facilities, with the added benefit of excellent transport access including nearby parking stations.

Image The closest train station is Museum, and Town Hall.. Then Central.

THE BAR
kathmandu

what about the bouncers?
FRACAS

The Aussie bush
We have all been there at one time or another...Track 8 , Track 2 , any epp party over the last few years..
The aussie bush is a purpose built venue for MEGA scale dance parties..
It has that dusty ground that is perfect for having a stomp or squishing between your toes!!
The aussie bush comprises of a dusty track leading to a venue of unfathomable size for ANY crowd and you can put in the largest and whatever type of soundsystem you can get your hands on... Pete can come and he does sick ass lights
The aussie bush has stuff all facilities but provides awsome views, fresh air and native wildlife, and is usually so far away fuckwits cant be bothered to travel there..
third tier

Most definitely the bush is the best place for trance. No doubt about it!
Although not always feasible. Both in terms of time frames/money.

I've got a few epic DJ/Producers who I'd fcken love to bring out to our backyards!
Fracas could we chat more about sites that maybe available for doofs!
PM me pls.

PS. Rythmic earths site is a shweet little piece of paradise. I'll be there for sure.
VJ DAMAGE

done a heap of parties at space,

the bouncers make it bad

A lot of people would not go there now.
Last edited by VJ DAMAGE on Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
venatrix

does it have a decent smoking area?
tripn

venatrix wrote :

lol. out the front next to the bouncers and the droves of AZN's
venatrix

tripn wrote :
venatrix wrote :

lol. out the front next to the bouncers and the droves of AZN's

Hmm smells like fail
third tier

ENTRANCE through the eyes of a fish

ANTE-BAR w/ two pool tables & lounge

STAGE in 1000 capacity room

Equals a pretty solid venue in terms of indoor venues...

HOME nightclub is too clean-cut and dry. With little character, best suited to Subbies on a Friday night.
Space will be transformed into a psy-club for GMS and should lend itself nicely for another 'trip' to space.. haha pardon for using the old NAME. VIC :) :wink:
:dj:
Pete_Paranoid

You're not listening the staff suck. They have this really droll attitude which gets old quickly. It's like being trapped in a museum.
One of the venue staff was kind enough to let me store my equipment over the weekend. I returned to find a condescending mid management dickhead who wouldn't let me retreive my stuff. A wasted journey! At the time I had lost my licence for drink driving so I had to get my semi-retired father to drive me there from where I used to live in the Blue Mountains!
monkey

Hey Pete its not about the staff mate.. ITS ABOUT THE MUSIC !! Surely.
Which, if you enjoy the style of the full-on bouncy type then GMS and Michele are the very best in the business!

Its quite possibly why they are asked to, and have played in every corner of this planet.. in fact if we lived on Mars then they would've play there too.

I've just come back from a walk-through at the venue today ~ security on the night will be a grand total of Five guys. Two on the door, one on the lifts, one for the stage/backstage and one for the door between The Ante-Bar and Main Room...
Five guys couldn't possibly cause you this much strife mate...

:roll:
:bounce:
traveller

it is a lot to do with the music, but that is "surely" not everything monkey :)

im pretty bored with most of the music ppl play at doofs these days, but i still come out
to bush parties because there are not many other places where i can really relax
and do my own thing and share this with other ppl wanting to do the same.

ie: making a comfortable and welcoming place to party is *far* more important than
the music as to whether a party is enjoyable or not.

i havent been to space in years but that is for good reason as the last few times i went
there i saw shocking and violent behavour by the bouncers and each time this bad taste
left by them eclipsed almost every "good" aspect of these events and were pretty much
the only thing ppl talked about afterwards.
this is the reason why many people do not even bother even considering going to a
party there anymore.

im not saying this cant change and maybe if there has a been a total overhaul of
management and security it could become a welcoming and fun place but it would
take a lot of work on their part.

my 2c
monkey

Hey Trav.. I agree with you...

Its not that I think SPACE is the most killer/awesome place in the world to have a party.
Its that a narrow-minded comment insinuating that party people shouldn't go purely because the bouncers a couple of years ago had a fight with someone just isn't cool. Security have changed since then and I'd be pretty shocked to find the same dude on the door.
mMaybe he had a little kid since then & the little fella will have a go at ya :P

Anyways, we'll do our very very very best to ensure the safety and enjoyment of all the party goers. Its really, my intention that people come away with a positive experience.
After all its my name, my status and my friends who stand to loose if its a bad party.
Therefore, every effort is made to increase the smiles, up the serotonin levels, increase the flow of endorphins and consequently rock the shit outta that oversized sound systems...

TRUE ?????

:)
:atom:
synthz

Never been there personally, but I agree with monkey, if it's been a few years since whatever 'incidents' happened, it may be worth another go. I don't know about sydney but I'd be cheering if a psy club opened in wollongong.
venatrix

Thanks for listening and responding to my concerns :)
Pete_Paranoid

monkey wrote :
Hey Pete its not about the staff mate.. ITS ABOUT THE MUSIC !! Surely.
Which, if you enjoy the style of the full-on bouncy type then GMS and Michele are the very best in the business!

Its quite possibly why they are asked to, and have played in every corner of this planet.. in fact if we lived on Mars then they would've play there too.

I've just come back from a walk-through at the venue today ~ security on the night will be a grand total of Five guys. Two on the door, one on the lifts, one for the stage/backstage and one for the door between The Ante-Bar and Main Room...
Five guys couldn't possibly cause you this much strife mate...

:roll:
:bounce:

Do you like strobe? Because I can do it constantly thoughtout the whole night if you want!

Please note: No windows were broken in this post.
Pete_Paranoid

No, no I'm just talking about the average ordinary 3k ones!

Then add, I don't know, 4 x 5k 8liter blinders!

beatpyramid

I think the main conflict is the Outdoor vs. Indoor venues.

Personally i love outdoor doofing so much freedom and space (and dirt in between my toes). But these can be done incorrectly and ruin the vibe completely.

I guess the same goes for indoor, its all about the vibe. Superad in canberra was a fine example it was put on so well and had the most amazing vibe and the venue itself was reasonably small!
but everyone had a great time! Bar staff were fantastic and the bouncers always had a smile on thei faces.

i have never been to space, but a mate went recently and said it was really good!

As long as the music is good and the vibe is good then the party is good!
VJ DAMAGE

no.. it the main issue is the staff at this venue are horrid. They put a VJ in hospital.

they also;-

-Tried to kick me out, when the club was closed, because I has a pocket knife which I was using to cut gaff off the lighting rig while trying to hang a projector.

-Would not yet me leave the venue after a different gig as they said I was stealing gear ( I was carrying my laptop and video mixer). They physically restrained me at the door for a LONG time, and did not make any steps to confirm it was my gear (a simple ph call upstairs or an hr of intimidation, whats easier?

-Would not let me back stage (even tho I had a pass and was playing) cos it was "to crowded" when I was one of the the few people who needed to be there. I only left for 5 mins to pee!!

I can not over estimate how nasty the staff there are/were. The ony way that people would go anywhere near that place is with strong assurances that the attitudes of the staff have changed. Perhaps hire "alternate security".

Also, the location ain't that great. Straight out the front door you will meet a heap of youngbloods itching for a blue.

I'm all for decent indoor venues, but this just ain't one.
third tier

Pitty, cause the party inside will be good.
FRACAS

third tier wrote :

Parties outside are better!! :killah: :D
jaimz

beatpyramid wrote :
I think the main conflict is the Outdoor vs. Indoor venues.

No. That comes up every time because there's a lot of idiots on this forum who don't understand what's required to do a proper outdoor party with decent internationals - which is why there aren't any any more. These people tend to say "do it outdoors!" every time a big name international would come along, as if the promoter wouldn't want to do that. All promoters do. It just requires a lot more time and a lot more cost. Indoor is easier, quicker and safer.

The conflict around this issue is mostly about Space, a venue which has long since been spurned by the vast majority of the dance community in Sydney (ie, not just psytrance, most promoters now refuse to use it). The main reasons are its staff and management policies, which basically stem to the fact that the owners (the Shark Bar) run it like the Shark Bar rather than running it like a nightclub.

There are many other excellent venues which can be used with enough forward planning. The Civic, The Cross and Coperlily are all sufficient.
FRACAS

jaimz wrote :
there's a lot of idiots on this forum who don't understand what's required to do a proper outdoor party with decent internationals - which is why there aren't any any more. ............................................................................................................... There are many other excellent venues which can be used with enough forward planning. The Civic, The Cross and Coperlily are all sufficient.

really i just had a "venue thought" as the thread was titled ....
if it was a "Space is the greatest club in the universe, dont u think our party will be sick" thread i dont think i would have brought up the "aussie bush " venue at all..
Pete_Paranoid

pure_ignorance are you paying attention?

third tier wrote :

Last but not least, let's add a 10k search light up the back.
No, fuck it, 1 x 100,000kw 'daymaker' lights like I've seen on movie sets.
beatpyramid

FRACAS wrote :
jaimz wrote :
there's a lot of idiots on this forum who don't understand what's required to do a proper outdoor party with decent internationals - which is why there aren't any any more. ............................................................................................................... There are many other excellent venues which can be used with enough forward planning. The Civic, The Cross and Coperlily are all sufficient.

really i just had a "venue thought" as the thread was titled ....
if it was a "Space is the greatest club in the universe, dont u think our party will be sick" thread i dont think i would have brought up the "aussie bush " venue at all..

Thankyou Fracas!
I just think the vibe has a lot to do with the success.
but i love outdoors!
40 posts Page 1 of 2