breaking bad season 3

Off Topic discussion. Use this board to discuss general, non PsyTrance related topics.
23 posts Page 1 of 1
Marsoups

Anybody been watching season 3 of this show ??

Most insane show ever.
venatrix

nah. it's too tense for me. not relaxing. great show though :)
Marsoups

yeah tis not really a show to come home to unwind to :lol:

though some of the characters do lend a certain amount of comic relief. There's a season 4 coming up I'm told :shock:
Satori

Best show ever.
Now we have to wait till march of next year to see season 4!
STEVONOISEMAKER

Just finished watching season 3 the other day.

Quite heartbroken I have to wait so long to see what happens next!

I agree it’s one of the best shows ever made. So clever and detailed in every way.
Marsoups

I have yet to finish season 3, I'm on episode 2 season 3 now but thinking of taking it slowly since each episode is so deliciously enjoyable...

The artistic style of the photography, musical score, acting and everything is indeed most commendable. A bit surprising that it's not being flighted on tv internationally at all.. (afaik) .. seems it's pretty exclusive to 'AMC'
STEVONOISEMAKER

^^yeah defnitely.

you'd think with the reviews its getting from pretty much everyone, that it would be broadcast friggin everywhere hehe.

i remember reading somewhere that each episode costs between $2-3million to make too!

curious to see if they start showing it from the start on normal TV here, even though it has been running on abc2 for a while.
venatrix

STEVONOISEMAKER wrote :
curious to see if they start showing it from the start on normal TV here, even though it has been running on abc2 for a while.

huh. there's more chance of aids being cured or the US pulling out of iraq. god damn australian backwater fukn fukn
Marsoups

STEVONOISEMAKER wrote :
^^yeah defnitely.

you'd think with the reviews its getting from pretty much everyone, that it would be broadcast friggin everywhere hehe.

i remember reading somewhere that each episode costs between $2-3million to make too!

It's been on ABC2 ?? I didn't know that, do you mind if I ask if you know when it was on ?

I'm surprised that seems like a lot for each episode.. :lol: But yeah some of these shows employ a lotta talent..

Did you know each episode is directed by a different director ? Mysteriously, each episode is also written by a different 'writer'. Although I suspect Vince Gilligan must have put in the overall weave to the story otherwise that story would have holes all over ;)
STEVONOISEMAKER

not too sure when it was on. Just remember seeing it in tv guides n stuff. Still ain’t got my shit together for digital tv so I don’t have abc2 anyway:p

woah, different director and writer, that’s craaazy!
venatrix

STEVONOISEMAKER wrote :
Still ain’t got my shit together for digital tv so I don’t have abc2 anyway:p

Watch it on iview
tract

My favourite ep from Season 3 is "Fly".

http://www.avclub.com/articles/fly,41430/

Breaking Bad has become identified, and rightly so, with its harrowing ordeal episodes: "Cat's in the Bag," "Four Days Out," and now "Fly." The latest example of this genre takes it in a stunning new direction. "Fly" features -- and takes to a new level -- the Aristotelian unity of time and place, the arc of self-realization, and the bonding between characters that characterize the examples from Seasons 1 and 2. My husband called it a "microcosm" of the series in a tweet after we watched the screener last night, and predicted that it would prove divisive among fans. Because unlike "Bag" and "Four," "Fly" boldly organizes its one-act morality play around something insignificant and accidental. This isn't life and death, either of our antiheroes or of their antagonists. This is irrational obsession.

But that very fact shows where we've come in the series, and in Walter's central speech, where he heartbreakingly speculates on what would have been the perfect moment for him to die before he got to this nadir, he articulates that exact point. "Fly" asks the Season 3 question: "Why am I doing this?" The question arises in the context of a pesky fly in whose pursuit Walter spends about twenty-four dedicated and sleepless hours, enlisting Jesse after a fruitless night and arguing that their cook required absolute standards of cleanliness incompatible with the presence of a fly. (He's unconvinced by Jesse's reasonable response that dirt is immaterial when you're making a destructive, addictive drug: "We probably have the most unpicky customers in the world.") There was always an answer to the question before, or at least there was in Walter's head. He couldn't articulate it to Skyler, of course, and his failure to communicate what he understood so clearly is pushing him toward the realization that it might not have actually been so clear: "There must exist certain words in a certain specific order that would explain all this," he insists with the desperation of a man at the end of his rope. "All this" being how we got here, the decisions made with their comprehensible rationales, the steps from the school parking lot to a gleaming lab where Walter churns out thousands of pounds of horrific poison for a huge paycheck.

The larger question, however, is whether there was ever an answer to the question "Why am I doing this?" that could pass muster in the cold light of day. There's some kind of twisted logic to what Walter has done, in the sense that there has always been an overarching reason he has given himself for becoming a m eth cooker and then a m eth kingpin: "I had to have enough to leave them; that was the whole point," he tells Jesse (and reminds himself). And that means that he had to protect that operation against threats. It being a criminal operation, the threats came in the form of people who could expose it. One kind of rationale governs killing a person like Crazy Eight, a killer in his own right who would do the same to Walter if he could. The story Walter tells himself to justify Jane's death, for which he's equally responsible by a mortal sin of omission, is more convoluted. And in "Fly," Walter pinpoints that moment as the one where his answers became untenable to himself. "Jesse, I'm sorry," he nearly whispers as he clings to the ladder from which Jesse is pursuing that ugly fat fly, as dangerously as Walter ever did. "I'm sorry about Jane ... I mean, I'm very sorry." Jesse takes it as an expression of sympathy, but Walter means it as a request for forgiveness. It was wrong, he's admitting. It went too far. It destroyed everything. It has made the question "why am I doing this?" absurd -- as absurd as the answers Walter gives to Jesse's insistent questions about why the fly needs to be caught -- and it is the half pound on top of the 200-pound bin of m eth has made Walter's life meaningless. "I'm saying I've lived too long," he admits.

As written by Sam Catlin and Moira Walley-Beckett, "Fly" offers Walter a chance for clarity and Jesse a chance for connection. As directed with verve and invention by Rian Johnson, it's a visually stunning ride on the chaotic wings of the titular insect. "Fly" would have been stellar even with more conventional direction, but with the unhinged images and bold juxtapositions Johnson provides, it's one of the most distinctive hours of television we're likely to see this year. Johnson gives us Walter's magnified view of the fly after it landed on his glasses' lens, a jaunt with the fly as it careens around the lab toward its fate, and POVs from the ceiling (with Walter's flung shoe approaching) and from inside a plastic grocery bag full of fly-catching apparati. And it's not just empty style. The fly's irrational path, elusiveness, and connection with dirt and death all vividly convey the point at which Walter finds himself. One of my favorite shots is the floor-level close-up of the shoes that Jesse takes off of Walter's feet when he puts him to bed, with Jesse going to work in the distant background. And then there's the arresting final imagery, with the fly appearing on the blinking red light of the smoke alarm, indicating Walter's inability to leave behind or kill the questions that torment him. "It's all contaminated," he tells Jesse, resigned, as he begs him to stop pursuing the fly. That insect is not the problem. But it's a potent symbol for how ugly and persistent Walter's problems have become.

Because worst of all, Jesse makes a snap decision to throw away the moment of care symbolized by those shoes, the sharing of Walter's reality symbolized by his successful pursuit of the fly. Walter reaches out to him after their ordeal is done, warning him about the missing weight, which Walter has figured out Jesse might be skimming and selling on the side. But Jesse shuts down, denying everything. Doesn't he realize that Walter cares about him? Isn't he willing to return the favor outside of the crucible, out in the real world? Not yet.

And that painful moment illustrates why Breaking Bad isn't just its most intense episodes or dilemmas. I started this post by pointing out how justly celebrated this type of episode is, and what a concentrated and creative example "Fly" turns out to be. But I'm not inclined to save my highest grades until these ordeals come along. Breaking Bad is a remarkable show because of its capacity to craft top-notch chapters out of many different kinds of situations and intensity levels. There are fantastic episodes that are action-packed, contemplative, concentrated, diffuse, and even nearly static. Despite its hothouse environment ("positive pressure," Walter insists as he adjusts the ventilation to keep air trapped in the room), "Fly" turns out to accomplish almost nothing in moving the plot forward. But what a journey to get there. Whether in motion or repose, Gilligan and his team produce television whose riveting effect cannot be reduced to any one of the elements out of which narrative is constructed. As with chemistry, it's the interactions and changes -- small or large, visible or invisible -- that carry the deepest meaning.

Bryan Cranston FTW 8)
simon

every time i watch that show i get cravings that dont go away for months.

i wish it wasnt so awesome.
deXtrous

One of my favourite TV series (Dexter will always be better though).

I hated the episode 'Fly' though. Ugh! Too predictable
Marsoups

haven't gotten as far as 'fly' yet, around 5 ep's away for me..

but here's a 'making of' from season 1.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x9kbq5 ... shortfilms

and 'crew of breaking bad' ( teaser for season 2 )

http://www.c4tv.co.nz/The-crew-of-Break ... fault.aspx
Marsoups

Skyler had an affair.. Or else they adopted Walter Jnr..

Anyone noticed Walt Image and Skyler Image both have blue eyes, yet Walter Junior has really deep dark brown eyes..? Image

They don't have resemblance at all.. but he's an awesome kid. 8)
tract

deXtrous wrote :

A strange, unqualified, but none the less valid opinion. The episode was unique and celebrated in that it was so unpredictable...imho easily the best ep in the series so far. Defined by its unpredictability.

Dexter is entirely different; better ? that kind of statement needs qualification. Certainly Dex is one of my favourite downloads, Michael C Hall continues to shine. I particularly liked him in '6 Feet under', specifically the episode "That's my dog". One of the most disturbing, violent and outright sadistic pieces of television that has ever aired.
tract

Marsoups wrote :
Skyler had an affair.. Or else they adopted Walter Jnr..

Anyone noticed Walt Image and Skyler Image both have blue eyes, yet Walter Junior has really deep dark brown eyes..? Image

They don't have resemblance at all.. but he's an awesome kid. 8)

The OCA2 gene on chromosome 15 determines eye colour. Parents who both have blue eyes can easily have brown eyed kids.

http://www.thetech.org/genetics/ask.php?id=29

:P

/science
deXtrous

tract wrote :
deXtrous wrote :

A strange, unqualified, but none the less valid opinion. The episode was unique and celebrated in that it was so unpredictable...imho easily the best ep in the series so far. Defined by its unpredictability.

Being unique does not instantaneously make something better than anything else. Take Quentin Tarintino's Grindhouse films for example (oh no please don't tell me you liked them too!). 'Fly' was, from beginning to end, 100% predictable. Fall crazy for a day chasing a fly only to catch it in the very end with a sigh of relief.

Yes it was more artistic from the regular episodes and maybe a nice break for some people, but if I didn't watch the ep's online and had to wait a whole week to see that rubbish - I'd be mildly pissed off. Chasing flies is something you can do it at home - You don't need to sit in front of screen to get your fly-chasing fix. It's like those kid who play the Sims or whatever - if they really needed to take a damn shower on a screen - why not just take a real one?

Don't get me wrong - I didn't completely hate the episode, I just think it would be much more fitting as an extra on the DVD or something as it had absolutely nothing to do with the story.
Marsoups

fark, that last episode of season 3 is one hell of a rollercoaster of an episode!

now need more info on what happened !! :lol: :shock:
kayhat

Yeah I wasn't really too impressed with the end of this series, unfortunately. I was really annoyed after it! Fucking great show though!

Bring on series 4.
tract

deXtrous wrote :
Being unique does not instantaneously make something better than anything else. Take Quentin Tarintino's Grindhouse films for example (oh no please don't tell me you liked them too!). 'Fly' was, from beginning to end, 100% predictable. Fall crazy for a day chasing a fly only to catch it in the very end with a sigh of relief.

Yes it was more artistic from the regular episodes and maybe a nice break for some people, but if I didn't watch the ep's online and had to wait a whole week to see that rubbish - I'd be mildly pissed off. Chasing flies is something you can do it at home - You don't need to sit in front of screen to get your fly-chasing fix. It's like those kid who play the Sims or whatever - if they really needed to take a damn shower on a screen - why not just take a real one?

Don't get me wrong - I didn't completely hate the episode, I just think it would be much more fitting as an extra on the DVD or something as it had absolutely nothing to do with the story.

I didn't see the episode as particularly artistic, technically proficient or unique at all, terms like that demand an emotional and essentially visual immediacy that I didn't think were, or could be present in 'Fly'. Without (hopefully) regurgitating the review I posted too heavily, the episode was necessary to the season, it was very well written and adeptly delivered. Bryan Cranston FTW!

It was dualistic; it was an exercise in character exposition ("Jesse, I'm sorry") delineated from the previous episodes entirely. The detached, exacting purity of Walter the Chemist (concerned solely with predictability and mathematical process) versus Jesse the ex user; his fever, drive and excuse. Jesse cultivates a demand that is fed from a continuing ignorance of the chemical process; but concurrently it is a drive for 'product' - buy now pay later. Walter is in it for the fast money, but will not proceed in producing an impure batch of a highly destructive and addictive drug. As the review said "...-- the Aristotelian unity of time and place, the arc of self-realization, and the bonding between characters that characterize the examples from Seasons 1 and 2.". I think they did an incredible job, no guns, violence or melodrama but just one hell of a set piece....

I'm more of a Gaspar Noé or Michael Haneke fan than Tarantino, but yes I do enjoy his work a great deal. Not that I would suggest this television episode is even in the same ball park to the aforementioned auteurs :P

my 0.2

:)
SubStance

I dont remember to much about that episode fly, but i do remember it annoyed the hell out of me....

Best episode for me was when the 2 mexican nearly killed hank. The scene where he drags the axe was killah!!!!!!!!
23 posts Page 1 of 1