Canon 5D MKII ruined by laser :(

Off Topic discussion. Use this board to discuss general, non PsyTrance related topics.
5 posts Page 1 of 1
solconnection

Just a heads up for any of you with super duper expensive cameras that like to take them to doofs and photograph lasers, this would be a well shit thing to happen :(

http://blog.iso50.com/2010/07/23/5dmarkii-damaged/

Until now I had no idea that a laser could cause damage to a DSLR, but apparently it’s possible. In the video you can see the laser beam across the sensor of a Canon EOS 5D Mark II leaving a burn. It would be a big shame for it to happen to any of you so I just wanted to make you aware if you weren’t already.

Here is an excerpt from the International Laser Display Association:

“Lasers emit concentrated beams of light, which can heat up sensitive surfaces (like the eye’s retina) and cause damage. Camera sensors are susceptible to damage, similar to the human eye.

For large scale shows, such as on a televised concert, laser show producers work with clients to avoid TV camera locations and video projectors (ILDA Members, see this page for details). However, it is not possible for laser show producers to be responsible for all cameras and camcorders which might be at a show.

Therefore, if you attend a show as an audience member, you should take reasonable precautions not to let a laser beam directly enter your camera lens.”

the mad kiwi

haven't had any problems so far but thanks for the warning , will bear this in mind next time .
Marsoups

I wonder if this involves a laser focus on the camera lense for a certain time period..

I wouldn't want a laser pointed straight in my eye for a second... for the most part organizers keep the lasers zipping about to avoid that at least,..
Ritchie_Jay

Marsoups wrote :
I wonder if this involves a laser focus on the camera lense for a certain time period..

I wouldn't want a laser pointed straight in my eye for a second... for the most part organizers keep the lasers zipping about to avoid that at least,..

Once I stopped a girl at house party looking into a laser like looking into a microscope. Then I found her outside where she'd filled up a garden bed with water and was taking a bath, in her clothes. Good party.
Pete_Paranoid

I've said it a few times before, but I hate how people leave lasers and strobes running all night unattended. It can be bad for the equipment as well, so I don't ever do this!
5 posts Page 1 of 1