One can still be into Psytrance & Doofing and be Catholic

Off Topic discussion. Use this board to discuss general, non PsyTrance related topics.
85 posts Page 3 of 4
ionized

tract wrote :
ionized wrote :
"...nor do I waste time reading Richard Dawkins."

Probably a wise choice, evolutionary biology is not particularly suited to first year students. As a prerequisite it necessitates a measurable understanding of evolutionary theory and biology.

Begs the question then why it's offered as a first year subject. :cry:

http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/courses/2011/BIOS1101.html

tract wrote :
You are doing particularly well, but baby steps dawg 8)

LoL. Is there a name for the alternate reality that you exist in?
Pete_Paranoid

Christ on the crucifix, the biggest lie there is!

Reptile by Nine Inch Nails

She spread herself wide open to let the insects in
She leaves a trail of honey to show me where she's been
She has the blood of reptile just underneath her skin
Seeds from a thousand others drip down from within

Oh my beautiful liar
Oh my precious whore
My disease my infection
I am so impure

Get it

Devils speak of the ways in which she'll manifest
Angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress
Need to contaminate to alleviate this loneliness
I now know the depths I reach are limitless

Oh my beautiful liar
Oh my precious whore
My disease my infection
I am so impure

Oh my beautiful liar
Oh my precious whore
My disease my infection
I am so impure

Oh my beautiful liar
Oh my precious whore
My disease my infection
I am so impure

Temple Of Love by The Sisters Of Mercy feat. Ofra Haza

With the fire from the fireworks up above me
With a gun for a lover and a shot for the pain at hand
You run for cover in the temple of love
You run for another but still the same
For the wind will blow my name across this land

In the temple of love you hide together
Believing pain and fear outside
But someone near you rides the weather
And the tears he cried will rain on walls
As wide as lovers eyes

In the temple of love: shine like thunder
In the temple of love: cry like rain
In the temple of love: hear my calling
In the temple of love: hear my name

And the devil in black dress watches over
My guardian angel walks away
Life is short and love is always over in the morning
Black wind come carry me far away

With the sunlight died and night above me
With a gun for a lover and a shot for the pain inside
You run for another its all the same
For the wind will blow and throw your walls aside

With the fire from the fireworks up above
With a gun for a lover and a shot for the pain
I shine like thunder cry like rain
And the temple grows old and strong
But the wind blows longer cold and long
And the temple of love will fall before
This black wind calls my name to you no more

In the black sky thunder sweeping
Underground and over water
Sounds of crying weeping will not save
Your faith for bricks and dreams for mortar
All your prayers must seem as nothing
Ninety-six below the wave
When stone is dust and only air remains

In the temple of love: hear the calling
And the temple of love is falling
Down

In the temple of love: hear my calling
In the temple of love: hear my name

In the black sky thunder sweeping
Underground and over water
Sounds of crying weeping will not save
Your faith for bricks and dreams for mortar
All your prayers must seem as nothing
Ninety-six below the wave
When stone is dust and only air remains
The only haven you can trust

And the devil in black dress watches over
My guardian angel walks away
Life is short and love is always over in the morning
Black wind come carry me far away

With the fire from the fireworks up above
With a gun for a lover and a shot for the pain you

I shine like thunder cry like rain
And the temple of love grows old and strong
But the wind blows longer cold and long
And the temple of love will fall before
This black wind calls my name to you no more

In the temple of love you hide together
Believing pain and fear outside
But someone near you rides the weather
And the tears he cried will rain on walls
As wide as lovers eyes

In the temple of love: hear the calling
And the temple of love is falling
Down

Respect!
Pete_Paranoid

ionized wrote :
Pete_Paranoid wrote :
I said three times to check your facts!

There is only one universal force in this universe and that's gravity, get used to it!

Fuck you Hawkings!
Grand Inquisitor

Alexup erroneously wrote:
I assume you believe the Popes are the infallible mouthpiece of God

The Supreme Pontiff, the Holy Father of the universal Church of God, is not infallible in all he says and does; it is only when he speaks doctrinally on matters of Faith and Morals according to Sacred Apostolic Tradition (public Divine Revelation), and when he speaks with the intent on declaring, statig, and teaching an infallible Dogma (which the Church has always held in Her sacred Tradition) as an article of Faith, a Dogma, binding unto all Christians as a divinely revealed infallible article of Faith. Popes neither make up new teachings, nor can they teach (when sitting on the Chair of St. Peter, speaking ex cathedra) heresy when using the power given them by Lord Jesus Christ; it is impossible for Pope to declare an erroneous Dogma. This is why the Sacred Doctrine of True Christianity is indestructible, infallible, indefectible, pure and perfect, spotless and immaculate.

However the stupid enemies of Holy Church, and heretics take the Papal Authority (invested on them by God Himself) either to excess or to its opposite.THE POPE AS HE IS A MAN, A SINNER, AN UNPROFITABLE SERVENT, A CHILD OF GOD WORKING OUT HIS SALVATION AND THUS TOTALLY DEPENDENT UPON GOD FOR ALL GRACES AND WISDOM CAN BE IN ERROR IN HIS OWN PERSONAL OPINION; IN HIS OWN UNDERSTANDING OF THEOLOGY AND PHILOSOPHY. HE CAN EVEN BE IN MATERIAL HERSY IN HIS OWN PERSONAL JUDGEMENT, BUT HE CAN NEVER TEACH ERROR DOCTRINALLY AS THE SUPREME TEACHER AND SHEPHERD OF THE UNIVERSAL CHURCH.

IT IS YOU SADLY MISTAKEN PEOPLE THAT NEED TO DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE EVER SPEAKING UPON THE ONE TRUE SUPERNATURAL KINGDOM OF GOD IN THIS WORLD.
Grand Inquisitor

For those who believe no sign is necessary; for those who do not beleive no explanation is possible
Grand Inquisitor

Okay, Mr. Ionized I will, when I have time, give you a scientific exposition on reality; crushing Darwinism and neo-Darwinism unto ruinous dust. But wait awhile, I'm in the process of moving back to the Central Coast, and I haven't had my own computer for 6 months or more due to giving it away. But hold off for a while and I will give you a thorough, in depth treatise on Creation and cosmic evolution. But let me just say, I don't believe in what the Creationists say in regards to the literal six days of creation. Nor do I, as you perversely presume, think Almighty God created all creatures at once. I believe the earth is around 4 billion years old; I believe the universe is around 13.7 billion years old; I believe in nucleosynthesis and the life-cycles of stars as it is shown on the Hertzsprung–Russell diagram; I believe our solar system was formed out of the remnants of a super novaed heavy weight star, the stellar gas cloud then collapsed under the shock wave of a more distant supernova, then under gravity caused the gas & dust to fall in upon itself creating a new fledgling star, our sun.

I will give you such a beautiful treatise (which is not some opinion but comes from very reliable, consistant, wise sources which I will reference) that unifies science, scholastic philosophy and the Doctrine of the Church into such a full, rational, reasonable, logical, teaching of the meaning of life, the reason of existence and how this is; which is the only plausible, non contradictory exposition of the reality of the universe and the superelevated spiritual reality created and held in existence according to a divine plan, a reason, a meaning, that if read, meditated upon and considered you will be very enriched, educated and blessed, BUT if if you dismiss it as the ramblings of some deranged fanatic and not read at all then I will no longer give apologetics and teaching, but just stay around to condemn, mock, revile and rebuke heresy, lies and deceit as a good inquisitor does. For Our Lord warns me not to give holy things to dogs; do not cast pearls before swine. For I stand up for what is true, what is holy, what is beautiful, and what is just, even unto my own death. For I behold the Pearl of Great Worth
venatrix

Grand Inquisitor wrote :

I will give you such a beautiful treatise

Why? Seriously.
ionized

Wade. I never tire of watching you start a paragraph with something that sounds vaguely based in reality and then watch as you effortlessly guide it into the most obtuse, holy fascist fantasy. All with this little ray of hope at the end, like a holy fishing lure. It's fucking stunning man. They have truly trained you into a Catholic weapon.

Go forth crazy guy. Amaze me with your butchering of Darwin's paper thin attempt to mask the otherwise obvious existence of your God. Seriously... I can't wait. :D :killah:
Pete_Paranoid

When All Is Said And Done by Napalm Death

Blindness feeds the world to madness
Faith's crumbling, there's no doubt about it
Religion and science fighting a new kind of war

Helpless - wander the streets in desperation
Fearless - to the path they tread
Shameless - the powers that butcher
Ignorant to the deeds that they commit

When all is said and done
Heaven lies in my heart
No slave to beliefs that propagate pain
Heaven lies in our hearts
This life is a gift to be lived and loved

Fracturing the structure of nature
Iconic catalysts to slaughter
A stalemate bursting bound by contradictions

Heartless - divine blueprints of hatred
Selfless - Diseased masterplans
Shameless - the powers that butcher
Ignorant to the deeds that they commit

Heaven lies in my heart

Decoded treachery shielding the tyranny
Black Bible tyrants behind masks of righteousness
Relentless - the onslaught of misunderstanding
Descending into a unified chaos

One more chance for a shot at redemption
Lost within, can we summon the might?

Heaven lies in my heart
FRACAS

Grand Inquisitor wrote :
............... and I haven't had my own computer for 6 months or more due to giving it away. ...................

There are far more needy people that NEED computers, i urge you to give this one away to someone who REALLY needs it....
Bouncybill

So long as the Christianity you follow is based on pre Council of Nicaea tenets then you'll be ok. And also that you're aware of the Council of Nicaea and the damage it wreaked on Jesus' good word. :)
Grand Inquisitor

Bouncybill wrote :
So long as the Christianity you follow is based on pre Council of Nicaea tenets then you'll be ok. And also that you're aware of the Council of Nicaea and the damage it wreaked on Jesus' good word. :)

Truly what you say has no basis of truth whether in history, ecclesiology, theology, Scripture or Doctrine; it is nothing but a borrows utterance of an ignorant Protestant infidel who does not even know where the Holy Bible come from. These heretics unwittingly work for the Enemy and poison Christianity in the minds of the lay person. All the Eocumenical councils of the Church, called to refute heresy and make a doctrinal statement of an article of Faith are infallible Dogmatic Councils. The Second Vatican Council was not a dogmatic council and made no dogmatic statements, it was a pastoral council and was not governed by the Holy Ghost but opened the doors to the world of the enemies of God; the smoke of Satan has entered the Sanctuary. I am a traditional Roman Catholic, who lives the true Christian Faith that the Church has always been, and which forms the Saints.
Grand Inquisitor

Okay Mr. Ionized I had made a couple of minor errors, based on a lack of knowledge, I had no yet studied deeply the philosophy of St. Thomas Aquinas - Scholastic philosophy (Thomism). I had pre-maturely jumped on the Intelligent Design band-wagon, without first understanding about the the four causes and especially the fact that beings (all created things) contain within them secondary causes according their substancial forms which informs matter in its configurations and assemblies giving things their natures. The error of Intelligent Design is that they assume Almighty God creats whole creatures episodically (as proposed in the Cabrian explosion) and strengthened by Behes irreducible complexity hypothesis.

Cosmic evolution (which I have always recognized) and the development, unfoldment and evolution of living creatures is a process of the how of creation, all unfurling according to the purpose and design - the last end inherent within all things as its final cause, in short, all according to the Will of God. God has created the universe and all things within, not as a direct fully formed cosmos, but has imbued matter (which we can trace back to the primordial cosmic seed at the birth of space-time and energy and prime matter) with substantial forms which are the formal & efficent causes, with their inherrent final cause (the last end for which all of creation inclines it self or tends to). The substantial forms (souls) of archaia, bacteria, plants and animals is their very principle of life and powers, which hold the molecules and compounds together in the particular arrangement that their being possesses. It is so closely bound with the matter of their being that when they die (when their soul is no longer capable of informing their body assembly with vitality and animation due to a collapse of some vital internal organ or system by disease or wound) their soul disolves with their bodies back into the potency of matter; the structures of its body disintegrates back into its contituent elements ready to be utilized by other life forms. However human beings are a different order of creation; we have a rational, immortal, spiritual soul. This is our substantial form, it does not belong to the natural order, however it is just one part of our nature, the other part is a physical body of the the stuff of the universe; we bridge the spiritual plane and the natural order. When we die (and die we all must, as a consequence of Original Sin) our bodies de-compose but our soul (which resides in eternity) will appear before its Maker for judgement; at the General Resurrection we will receive back immortal bodies; those of the Saints perfected, luminous beautiful bodies of glory, the damned reprobates hideous abominable bodies of malign evil, to spend eternity in the terrible darkness in the constant company of Satan the devils and the damned.

Our bodies are a part of our human nature; I'm a person only when whole and complete - in a union of soul and body; human nature is one thing. Our soul is everywhere present within us where we have life. The intellect is the highest faculty of the soul, it is our rational nature, along with our free will, another spiritual faculty which makes us rational animals; a little lower than Angels which a pure spirtiual creatures which have a preternatural nature, but nonetheless the principle of our life is a spiritual form that God created at the instant of conception in the sanctuary of the womb.

Being a different order of creation, i.e, having a spiritual soul, we could not of evolved from lesser natures; just as the life in microorganisms did not arise by chance or random blind chemical processes followed by mutations of probability (inanimate dead matter cannot assemble itself through mere chemical processess into living organisms by its own nature; DNA could NEVER of assembled itself by blind material accidents. Information is information, neither energy nor matter), so to animals CANNOT evolve an intellect that acquires understanding through abstraction/denotation and re-integration/connotation and contemplation, nor could morality or Religion arise from animality).

At the moment I am involved in deep study in the empirical sciences and Scholastic philosophy and so it will still be a while before I can give a treatise on proving God and creation through reason, natural philosophy (Thomism) coupled with the discipline of empirical science - the handmaid to sacred theology the supreme Science.

At the moment I will leave you with this:

All the normal course of nature is subject to its own natural laws. According to these all living creatures have their determinate inclinations. . . and also the elements of non-living material things have their determinate qualities and forces, in virtue of which they function as they do and develop as they do. . . . From these primordial principles everything that comes about emerges in its own time and in the due course of events.

St. Augustine and others recognize a "functional integrity" to nature: that the universe was brought into being in a less than fully formed state, "but gifted with the capacities to transform itself, in conformity with God's will, from unformed matter into a truly marvelous array of physical structures and life forms."
Last edited by Grand Inquisitor on Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
venatrix

Grand Inquisitor wrote :
I had no yet studied deeply the philosophy of St. Thomas Aquinas

Lol! You retard :P
ATREYU

Define "God" Plz.

I find it funny how people throw the word around, yet there are many differing perceptions of its meaning.

P.S I have not read this whole thread as all this christian stuff is really boring. Yet in regards to the title of this thread, all i can say is soo what. The doof community has never rejected anyone based on religion. But you people posting all this shite on this forum has drowned any enjoyment in coming here. Eat some f'ing Lucy or demon tea and pump up the music.

PPS Plz stop this flood of rambling regurgitated dogma. I think its very selfish.
Marsoups

ATREYU wrote :

P.S I have not read this whole thread as all this christian stuff is really boring.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't know how anyone could actually find the average church lecture 'interesting'...

Granted some churches can get a bit lively, but for the most part, it's all zzzzzz

prolly a million youtube clips parodying it... and you're watching a man waving his hand and pointing at pages in a *very* old book like it has the answers to everything of importance.
venatrix

Next on your list of Very Important Scholastic Deep Study topics should be confirmation bias...
Grand Inquisitor

ATREYU wrote :
Define "God" Plz.

GOD - THE ONE SUBSISTENT BEING

The supreme fact naturally known to man is that the ultimate reality is a self-subsistent Being. We realize that there is a Reality, a Father of all being that is altogether uncaused; that this Reality is beginningless and eternal, which exists of Itself. This ultimate and transcendent Being has not become itself, requiring no antecedent whatsoever, it simply is, and never has been otherwise. It embodies within Itself all the fullness of which being is capable. Its nature and existence are one single eternal fact. The question of causal origin cannot possibly arise when once the meaning of ultimate subsistence is understood. This absolute supreme Being, eternally self-existent and self-sufficient, whose nature is to be, we call God.

“God said to Moses: I AM WHO AM. Thus shalt thou say...: HE WHO IS, hath sent me to you." (Ex. 3:14)

The metaphysical essence of God consists in that It is Subsistent Being. As distinct from created things, which have received being from another being. God has His Being of Himself and through Himself by virtue of His own perfection of Essence. God is Being Itself, the Absolute Being, the Subsisting Self-luminous Being. In God essence and existence coincide.

GOD the Absolute is uncaused, beginningless, and forever. GOD is Infinite and Transcendent, illimitable, immense, and incomprehensible. GOD can be likened unto an infinite bottomless shoreless ocean of Divine Intelligence-Love-Light-and-Power. GOD is the Creator, the Source, the Life and Ground of all being. GOD is immutable, infinitely pure and almighty. Thus, GOD is absolutely perfect; is the one True Reality; the Father – the all-perfect Divine Heart of the Universe of universes. GOD is the Life of all life; the unchanging eternal Heart, the uncaused Cause of all-that-is.

In contrast to this undifferentiated oneness essential to ultimate Being, the universe and the minds of angels and men are composite, for in them essence and existence are not one, but two distinct (though inseparable) principles forming a composite unity as distinct from simple unity; God is Pure Act, angels and men are potency and act. The distinction between essence and existence in the universe, like all other real distinctions, is objective in things themselves. Observation and reason makes us aware that things not only have existence, but over and above existence they have each also a distinct fabric of a given kind which we call their nature or essence. Existence tells us that a thing is, while knowledge of its existence tells us what a thing is. To know that a thing exists is very different from knowing what particular nature it consists in.

We cannot combine the different meanings of essence and existence in a single idea, inasmuch as our concepts are derived from composite being. This shows that we cannot positively conceive subsistent being (it is incomprehensible); we cannot comprehend that which is uncaused and beginningless, let alone absolute infinity. Our very ability positively to conceive the universe is a sign to us of its non-subsistent character (thus comprehensible). And so, all material (galaxies, stars, worlds) and spiritual reality (that of Heaven and the operations of grace through Providence) present in the universe of direct experience, being composite, is dependent for its composition of essence and existence upon a more ultimate being.

There is thus a great contrast between God and His creatures. He alone is self-subsistent. Deity is Absolute Being, and as such cannot be multiplied - is one-without-a-second. Even the term 'being' cannot be used in one and the same meaning of the ultimate being and dependent beings. Creatures do not constitute an addition to being, but, just as mind and matter can co-exist because they are different orders of being, so creatures can on a lower plane co-exist with God.

The attributes of God are perfections and belong to the Divine Essence. The Divine Attributes are really identical among themselves, owing to the absolute simplicity of God. But according to our analogical mode of thinking we can only understand the Divine Substance as a multiplicity of individual perfections, inadequately but truly nonetheless. God is absolute pure simplicity with no real distinction or differentiation (though God is truly a Trinity – one God in Three Divine Persons, yet is of one Essence, one Substance, and is only One. More on this later), but is to be conceived as a virtual distinction of reason with a foundation in reality. The distinguishing of many attributes or perfections in God has a factual basis in the infinite fullness of the Divine Being. Even if God's Nature is in itself absolutely simple, we can only know it in a multiplicity of concepts.

God is absolutely necessary. Deity cannot but exist; it must be, and must forever be. Divine necessity concerns not merely the principle of existence, but the whole reality of Subsistent Being; necessity is an excellence intrinsic to Ultimate Being. God's divine superlative nature necessarily infinitely eternally is.

The universe of energy, matter and information does not possess intrinsic necessity, and is therefore said to be contingent. The contingence of the whole universe upon the Divine will and power is revealed by the relative dependence of its parts. The fact that the universe changes from state to state shows that it is not an absolutely necessary being. A thing that changes its states is never wholly all it can be. Were any state necessary that state would be unalterably permanent, and if no state is permanently necessary such being cannot be necessary at all. It is indeed owing to the contingency of the universe that we realise that God is necessary

Beings that are essentially subordinate, existing for a compound unity or system, cannot therefore be necessary in themselves, nor can they render more than a relative explanation of their existence. The very queries that arise in our minds as to their origins and purpose is evidence of their contingency, for such ideas represent impressions received from the world's inadequacy.

By all paths of thought we are thus led inevitably from contingent mind's and objects to Necessary Being as the explanation of all reality and existence. Therein the sufficient reason of being is perfectly embodied and comprehended. A necessary being has in and of itself the reason of its existence, whereas contingent beings have not. God's necessity is not relative or due to anything extrinsic to Himself, but absolute. God in Itself is necessary irrespective of everything else. God being one and self-manifest, is thus self-explanitory; the subsistent reason, wherein ultimate being and ultimate meaning are identical. The Divine necessity itself is an excellence intrinsic to ultimate Being. Deity and Deity alone has intrinsically the ability and right to exist, for the reason of Its excellence is identified with Its very nature.

The necessity of God has nothing in common with determinism. Absolute necessity in the super-spiritual life of God means absolute freedom and independence. To identify determinism with necessity would render freedom impossible. Things that are determined are extrinsically under compulsion to something other than themselves or to something within themselves which is distinct from their will. God's necessity is not compulsion, and thus includes the perfection of freedom. He is transcendent from the influence of beings on a lower plane, and within His own being there is no distinction of nature and will, for they are identical with His Essence. Eternal freedom is integral to the very meaning of Deity. Therefore in God freedom is so identified with the life of God that it partakes of His very necessity; He is necessarily free. Divine freedom is not restricted to creation or contingent upon His will to create. He does not confer it upon Himself, or produce it by His essence or His will; it is eternally identified with both. He does not will Himself by a mere acquiescence in the inevitability of His own being. That would imply God's volition was determined by His nature. On the contrary, His volition is free, and is subsistent. God's will is never determined. Its freedom, therefore, is intrinsic to, and indistinguishable from the Infinite Life of God.

God's absolute necessity implies that He cannot will to be other than He is, or act otherwise than according to His perfect nature. His nature and powers are one; there can be nothing contingent in necessary Being. He is both necessary an free; in Deity they are one single Divine fact. The First Cause is the creative Exemplar of personal liberty and merit in both angels and men, not a principle of blind fatalism. Necessity in a given nature is according to the type of that nature. Material natures are determined, while spiritual natures have freedom. Thus, inasmuch as God, the Blessed Trinity is super-spiritual, its necessity is not a necessity of compulsion but the necessity of spirituality, that is, of freedom, intelligence and purpose. The partial necessity and freedom which finite beings possess in regard to each other derives its meaning from the perfect necessity and freedom of the Divine Nature. Things are what they are because the Blessed Trinity is inevitably what it is, for it communicates being according to its own meaning and value. God's necessity, then, is one of subsistent freedom.

The merit of Our Lord's sacrifice, the indefectable authority of the Church's Doctrine, its penetential system, as well as all lesser rights, duties and privileges, derive from the necessary presence of God. In that same triune life of the Most Blessed Trinity natural laws that govern both the macrocosm and microcosm of the universe, i.e, information, mechanics, physics, chemistry, biology, thought and ethics have their ultimate origin and sanction. Moral obligation, the law of God inscribed in the heart of man (the conscience), or the ethical, may be taken as an example of God's necessary intelligence and will impressing itself within the very fabric of beings He has formed and communicates existence to.

God is absolutely perfect; eternally and inherently united within Itself are all possible perfections, excellences, and goodness; and forever excluding all deficiencies or evils. God is infinite in every perfection, which is based on the infinite fullness of the Being of God. This absolute perfection transcends all perfection. It is without beginning, without end, eternal and boundless.

Perfection is the completeness of goodness and truth. Truth and goodness are both ontological and ethical. All things have ontological truth and goodness, in that they are both knowable and useful. They achieve a certain end of their own and contribute to the needs of other things or creatures. In rational and responsible beings there are also ethical truth and goodness, which place them higher in the hierarchy of reality and perfection. Thus no created agency, being, or intelligence is impeccably perfect; this is an impossibility, but all created things or creatures, no matter how celestial, have only relative perfection. God alone is absolutely perfect and impeccable. Angels and men derive their relative perfections from their Heavenly Beloved, from their Creator, Who communicates and endows His eviternal creatures with graces and gifts, and can thus raise His creatures to 'God-like' holiness, beauty excellence; deified and beautified with grace, virtues and supernal created gifts, such as we see with the Blessed Virgin Mary and the holy Angels and Saints.

God is absolutely Infinite, and thus is infinite in every perfection. As God does not originate from another Being, and He is in no wise composite, there exists in Him no basis for a limitation of His Being. And thus is incomprehensible to both Angels and Man.

Moreover, there is only one God; the One God is, in the ontological sense, The True God. God, as Subsistent Being, is both Being and Truth Itself. God, as exemplary and efficient cause, gives all extra-divine things their knowability together with their being. Every created thing is a realisation of a Divine Idea made-manifest. In so far as all actual and possible things reflect the Being of God, He is All Truth. As God's Being is transcendent of all created being, so also His Truth or knowability transcends the truth or knowability of created things; to the extent He is the Supreme Truth.

God possesses an infinite power of cognition. The perfection of the truth of cognition is dependent on the perfection of the intellect of the knower. Therefore, God is infinite in understanding; of His wisdom there is no end. The object of Divine knowing is the Divine Essence. In this way God knows all created things in their origin. As in God the subject (of cognition), the object (of cognition), and the act of cognition, are identical, it follows that God is The Absolute Logical Truth. Thus every error is excluded from God; who canst neither deceive nor be deceived. And thus, God is absolute veracity, and absolutely faithful.

As ontological truth is being in relation to intellect, so ontological goodness is being in relation to will. A thing is good in itself if it possesses the perfections corresponding to its nature, and relatively good if it is suitable to perfect others. Thus, God is absolute ontological Goodness in Himself and in relation to others. God is infinite in every perfection, and thus, in this sense, communicates His goodness to creatures, for He is subsistent Goodness Itself. As the origin of all created things and of all created goodness God is The All Good. In virtue of the infinite chasm between the Divine Goodness and created goodness, God is the Highest Good; hence why our Lord said: None is good but God alone (Lk 18:19).

Creatures possess a derived communicated goodness only. The absolute ontological goodness of God is the basis of His Infinite Bliss. In knowing and loving Himself as the Supreme Good He is infinitely blissful in the possession and enjoyment of Himself. God is absolute ontological goodness in relation to others (to creatures), in so far as He is the exemplary, efficient and final cause of all created things. As St Paul expresses to the Romans: “For of Him, and by Him, and in Him are all things: to Him be glory for ever. Amen (Rom 11:36)

God is Substantial Holiness, because His Will is identical with His absolute Goodness.

God is absolute Beauty. His beauty is a substantial beauty which encompasses and infinitely transcends all the beauty of the created universe. From the beauty of creation one can conclude to the much greater beauty of the Creator. “Praise and beauty are before Him: holiness and majesty in His sanctuary” (Psalm 95:6)

God is absolutely immutable. “With whom there is no change nor shadow of alteration.” (James 1:17). “They (the heavens) shall perish but Thou remainest and all of them shall grow old. And as a vesture Thou shalt change them, and they shall be changed. But Thou art always the selfsame.” (Ps 101:27-28). “For I am the Lord, and I change not.” (Mal 3:6).

God must be held to be unchangeable and immutable, because He is eternal. St Augustine confirms this: “Being is a name which connotes immutability. For all that changes ceases to be what it was and commences to be what it was not. True Being is possessed only by Him who does not change.” St Thomas Aquinas bases the immutability of God on His pure actuality, on His absolute simplicity, and on His infinite perfection of Being.

The Incarnation of the Word of God (the Divine Logos – Second Person of the Most Holy Trinity) involved no change or mutation in God. The Divine Nature of Christ is consubstantial (or hypostatically united) with the Eternal infinite Word, and thus is consubstantial and equal in absolute perfection with the Father, infinite and eternal.

Mutability includes potentiality, composition, and imperfection, and is thus irreconcilable with God as pure act, the absolutely simple and absolutely perfect Essence. When God operates ad extra, for example in the creation of the universe, He does not effect a new act, but He enters on a new realisation of the eternal resolve of His divine will. The decree of creation is as eternal and immutable as the Divine Essence: only its effect, the created cosmos is temporal and mutable.

God is Eternal. Eternity is a 'duration' without beginning and without end, without sooner and later, a permanent ever-present now. The essence of eternity is the absolute lack of succession. Eternity is the perfect and simultaneous total possession of interminable life; self-subsistent being, existence absolute. “... from eternity to eternity Thou art God.” (Ps 89:2). St Augustine beautiful expresses it: “The eternity of God is His Essence itself, which has nothing mutable in It. In It there is nothing past, as if it were no longer, nothing future, as if it had not yet been. In It there is only is, that is present.”

Eternity in the strict sense must be distinguished from the duration of created spirits, which have indeed a beginning, but no end, and which in their substance are subjected to no mutation. The dogma of the eternity of God asserts that God possesses the Divine Being without beginning and without end, and without succession in a constant undivided now. The Eternal Father, Eternal Son, Eternal Holy Spirit are yet not three eternal beings, but One Eternal Self-Subsistent Being.

God is immense or absolutely immeasurable. Immensity or spacelessness connotes the negation of spatial dimensions or limitation. Omnipresence expresses the relation of God to created space. Immeasurability is a negative and absolute attribute; omnipresence is a positive and relative one.

God the Father is immense, God the Son is immense, God the Holy Spirit is immense, yet not three immense beings but One Immense Being. “... heaven and the heavens of heavens cannot contain Thee...” (3 Kings 8:27). GOD is incomprehensible, uncircumscribed, immeasurable. There is only one God who encompasses everything, while He alone cannot be encompassed. The immeasurability of God is based on His infinite fullness of Being.

God is everywhere present in created space-time. God's omnipresence is contained in the dogma of the Infinity of God as the part (omnipresence) is contained in the whole. Sacred Scripture describes God's omnipresence in picturesque language: “Whither shall I go from Thy Spirit? Or whither shall I flee from before Thy face? If I ascend into heaven Thou art there: if I descend into hell Thou art present. If I take my wings..., and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea: even there also shall Thy hand shall lead me...” (Ps 139:7-10). “Do I not fill heaven and earth saith the Lord.” (Jer. 23:24)

From God's omnipresence St Clement concludes: “Where shall one flee and how shall one escape Him who spans the All”. The omnipresence of God is likened to be based on His all-causality. As the origin of the beingness of all, He is intrinsically present in everything as long as it exists; as a presence according to power, according to knowledge, and according to essence. Through this essence He is present substantially in all things, including created spiritual essences (angels and human souls), as the immediate origin of their existence. The substantial omnipresence of God is to be more closely defined as a repletive presence, that is, the Divine Essence fills whole created space and every one of its parts. It is the Providence of God's presence that preserves all created being; if God was to withdraw His Providence from the universe all would fall back into the nothingness from whence it came.

In addition to this natural omnipresence of God, there is a special supernatural presence or indwelling of God, by the supernatural efficacy of His Grace in the holy angels and the soul of a just man. The indwelling of God (as sanctifying grace) in the Baptised humanity of Christ , based on the Hypostatic Union is unique (More on this in later chapters).

God's knowledge is infinite. In God's power of cognition He is infinite. His Wisdom is without measure. God's knowledge is purely and simply actual; as God is pure act, there is in His knowing no transitions from potency (inherent potentiality) to act, no progress from known to 'unknown'. God's knowing is neither potential nor habitual, neither successive nor discursive. God knows all in one single indivisible act. God's knowledge is subsistent. His knowing is really identical with His Essence; He is Himself absolute Knowledge or Truth in consequence of His absolute simplicity. The understanding of God is His own Substance.

God's power of Self-comprehension is as great as His reality in Being. From the infinity of His power of knowing it follows that God completely encompasses His infinite knowledge, and thereby perfectly comprehends the infinite fullness of His Being.

God knows all that is possible by the knowledge of simple self-luminous intelligence. God's knowledge is independent of extra-Divine (created) things. The Divine intellect is not determined from without but from within through the Divine Essence. Thus, created phenomena are not the cause, but only the aim (the terminus) of the Divine knowledge. In God the intellect, understanding and the thing understood are the same reality; the intelligible phenomena and the act of understanding itself are entirely one and the same. “The Spirit (of God) searcheth all things, indeed the deep things of God” (1 Cor 2:10). God knows extra-Divine things in His Own Essence as He is the exemplary and efficient cause of all real and possible things. “O Lord who hast knowledge of all things” (Est 14:14)

God knows all real things in the past, the present and the future simultaneously and completely. “All things were known to the Lord before they were created so also after they were perfected.” (Ecclus. 23:29). God's providence which extends and sustains all things, even to the smallest detail (to that of the mechanics of sub-atomic particles and quantum processes), presupposes an equally extensive knowledge. God's self-luminous Spirit permeates and pervades all-that-is, all-that-was, and all-that-will-be. “All wisdom is from the Lord God, and hath been always with Him, and is before all time” (Ecclus 1:1). There are no random chance events, not even the nuclear reactions inside stars are random, nor chemical reactions inside the dense hot rock of the earth's mantle. In fact if God's providence withdrew from any-thing the thing would disintegrate and vanish into the nothingness from whence it came. “Who telleth the number of stars: and calleth them by name” (Ps. 146:4). “Who hath numbered the sand of the sea, and the drops of rain, and the days of the world...” (Ecclus 1:2). Sacred Scripture also ascribes exclusive privilege of the knowledge of hearts to God: “God who knoweth the hearts” (Acts. 15:8). “The Lord searcheth all hearts and understandeth all thoughts” (1 Pa. 28:9). “O God Thou knowest my foolishness; and my offences are not hidden from Thee” (Ps. 68:6). “Thou only knowest the heart of all the children of men” (3 Kings 8:39). “Lord, Thou hast proved me, and known me: Thou hast known my sitting down and rising up.... And Thou hast seen all my ways... Behold, O Lord, Thou hast known all things, the last and those of old: Thou has formed me, and hast laid Thy hand upon me. Thy knowledge is become wonderful to me: it is high, and I cannot reach it” (Ps. 138:1-6).

When God in his self-comprehension beholds His infinite operative power, He knows all therein – all reality, for He is the fundamental Cause of all effective causes of which He is the Author. The difference between past, present and future does not exist for the Divine knowledge, since for God all is present in His infinite intelligence.

By the knowledge of vision God also foresees the future free acts of the rational creatures [of angels and man] with infallible certainty. “All things are naked and open to His eyes, even those things that will happen through the free action of creatures” (Vatican Council I). “ Thou has understood my thoughts afar off: my path and my line Thou hast searched out” (Ps. 138:3). “Jesus knew from the beginning who they were that did not believe and who he was that would betray him” (John 6:65)

The dogma on angelic and human freedom is not abrogated by the dogma of infallible certainty of the Divine prevision of future free actions. The Divine foreknowledge imposes as little compulsion on future actions as human remembering does on the past. “As thou through thy remembrance dost not oblige that which is past to have occurred, so God through His prescience does not compel that which shall be in the future to happen.” (St. Augustine). It happens because it exists in the Mind of God; it happens because it is. If God, in His timeless knowing, sees something present, then it is inevitable that it really happens, since what really is cannot be non-effective, it occurs as consequent necessity.

God also knows the conditioned future free actions (of rational creatures) with infallible certainty. By these are understood free actions of the future which indeed will never occur, but which would occur if certain conditions were or were not fulfilled. The Fathers of the Church assert Divine foresight of conditioned future free actions when they teach that God allows a man to die at an early age in order to save him from eternal damnation, and when God does not always hear our prayers for certain things to prevent there misuse and our consequent inordinate attachment.

“Woe to thee Corozain! Woe to thee Bethsaida! For if Tyre and Sidon had been wrought the miracles that have been wrought in you, they [would] had long ago done penance in sackcloth and ashes.” (Matt 11:21)

The Divine foreknowing of conditioned future things is understood to be based on the infinite perfection of the Divine knowing, on the infallibility of Divine providence, and on the practice of prayer in the Church.

The ideas of God, which are factually identical with His Knowledge (Wisdom), direct His Divine Willing and the Divine Activity (His Providence) in all creative operations throughout the entire universe, just as the ideas of an artist illuminates and directs his willing and activity in the expression of a work of art, so it is with God – the Creator and Author of Life. Divine knowledge in association with Divine Will is the exemplary and efficient cause of all finite things.

According to St. Augustine: The Divine Thoughts are identical with the Divine Essence, in which God is cognisant of His infinite imitability through finite created things. These Divine Ideas are the origin of things. “All His creatures, the spirits and the corporeal, He does not know them because they are, but they are because He knows them. That is, nothing which He would create was unknown to Him. Because He knew He created; He did not know because He created.”

The Divine Wisdom is also regulating and governing, because it communicates finality and order to things; gives them precise laws and guides them to their ultimate destination – their last end. This is Divine Providence, without which no-thing would be ordered, preserved or dissolved. “Thou hast ordered all things in measure, and number and weight.” (Wis. 11:21). We observe this precise governance in studying the precise physical laws that govern the entire cosmos; from quantum laws that govern particle physics to cosmological laws that govern the evolution of galaxies and the expansion of the universe; not to mention the immutable moral and spiritual laws. “She [God's Providence] reacheth therefore from end to end mightily and ordereth all things sweetly.” (Wis. 8:1)

God's Divine Will is infinite. The infinite perfection of God's volition like the infinite perfection of God's knowing is purely and simply actual, subsistent and independent of all extra-Divine things. God's free Will is the ultimate basis for the universal/world-order. “Whatsoever the Lord pleased He hath done in heaven, in earth, in the sea, and in all the deeps.” (Ps. 134:6).

As God is Pure Act there is, in His willing, no transition from potency to act, no sequence of individual acts of will, but one single successionless act of willing. His Divine Will, by virtue of the absolute simplicity of God, is factually identical with the Divine Essence; just as His Divine Intelligence is His Essence, so is His Will. Created things are not determining reasons for God's willing, but merely the goal of the Divine volition.

The affections in God, corresponding to His Nature, are purely spiritual manifestations of His perfect Divine volition. One of these affections is Divine Love, which in God is factually identical with His Essence. “God is charity” (1 John 4:8). Another affection in God, in infinite intensification, is that of bliss. As far as indignation is concerned there is in Him, on account of His absolute Holiness and Goodness, the hate of abomination - the detestation of sin. For God never created nor intended iniquity (This and how it manifests will be covered at length in later sections).

The primary and formal object of the Divine Will and of the Divine Love is God Himself. God has co-ordinated the whole of creation to Himself as its final end. “The Lord hath made all things for Himself.” (Prov. 16:4). The object of the Divine Will is His own Goodness which is His Essence. The Love of God for Himself and its necessity arises from the fact that God is the supreme Good and that He in His comprehensive self-knowledge completely knows His infinite amiability. From this flows eternally the infinite Love of God for Himself, and is identical to His Essence; it is the Holy Spirit, beginningless and co-equal in Divine Majesty. The Divine Love is God, and is identical in essence with the Divine Wisdom, Divine Will, and Divine Goodness.

God's love for His creatures: Things external to God (all creation) are the secondary and material object of the Divine Will and of the Divine Love. God called into existence all creatures most freely. And God loves all that He has given being to. “Thou lovest all things that are, and hatest none of those things which Thou hast made.” (Wis. 11:25).

God loves creatures in so far as they participate in a finite manner in His perfections and have their formal end in Him. Furthermore, God's love for creatures is benevolent, that is, God loves creatures not with a receiving, but with a bestowing, and therefore a most unselfish love. God's love is not motivated by the creature's goodness, but is itself the cause of that goodness. The love of God infuses and creates goodness in things. “In this is charity; not as though we had loved God, but because He hath first loved us.” (1 John 4:10). The decree of God's love for creatures is one and the same in the inner-Divine act; in the extra-Divine created effect, however, it is different according to the grade of its amiability.

The relationship of the Divine Will to evil: God does not desire physical evil, for example, suffering, illness, death, for the sake of the evil or as an aim “For God has not made death: neither hath He pleasure in the destruction of the living. For He created all things that they might be.” (Wis. 1:13-14). However, God wills physical evil as well as punitive evil as a means to a higher end or a higher physical order, eg, for the acquisition of a higher life, or of the moral order, eg, for punishment or for moral enlightenment.

Moral evil, that is, sin, which according to its nature is a revolt against God, is not willed by God, neither as an end, nor as a means to an end. God is perfectly innocent and pure. God simply permits sin, because He has consideration for man's freedom, and because He possesses the wisdom and the power to cause good to arise from evil. In the end moral evil will serve the supreme aim of the world, the glorification of God,in as much as it reveals His mercy in forgiving and His justice in punishing the wicked.

God is almighty . God's omnipotence flows from His being pure act. The efficacy of a thing is determined by the grade of its real being. To God's Infinite Reality of Being there corresponds an Infinite Power (intensively infinite). This extends over the the whole sphere of real or possible being (extensively infinite). God's power is identical with Essence.

God has freely chosen to realise one definite world-order from many possible such orders. God's might, which activates itself in the framework of the real world order, is called “potentia ordinata” (ordered power) to distinguish it from His “potentia absoluta” (Absolute Power) which is His Essence.

The self-subsistent, almighty, transcendent superiority and independence of Deity in no way detracts from the reality of creatures, nor does it render them illusory. On the contrary, their chief value and dignity results from the very fact that the Absolute Being has determined that they should participate in being, and simultaneously achieve His purpose and their own. They are not emanations from God's unique nature, but being made in His likeness they are what they are because God is what He is, and are freely willed into existence from nothing by the pure subsistent act of God.

God is the Lord of the heavens and the earth. In virtue of His Divine omnipotence, and His Infinite Divine Majesty, and that He is the Creator of all that is visible and invisible, God has supreme dominion. This implies an unlimited right of government, and an unlimited dominion over all created things, and thus rightly demands from His creatures unreserved obedience. This is realised in practice in acceptance of His revelation, in the fidelity and fulfilling of His Commandments, and in adoration. God's right of Lordship and of property belong to Him in virtue of His creation of the universe, and His redemption of mankind.

God is infinitely just. God is infinite in all perfection, therefore also in justice. As God is the Creator and the Lord of the universe, there is no norm of justice which transcends Him, but God Himself is the Supreme Rule or Paragon of benevolent justice. God, through the natural law and moral law co-ordinates all creatures to the common good. God, having by His free resolve created the world, by His wisdom and goodness gives to His creatures everything that they need for the fulfillment of their tasks and for achieving their aims. God manifests His justice further in that He is no respecter of persons; He rewards the good and punishes the wicked.

God is infinitely merciful. God, as the Most Perfect Essence, is not subject to the passion of sympathy – God cannot suffer – but He exercises mercy by the removal of defects. “The Lord is compassionate and merciful: long-suffering [patient] and plenteous in mercy.” (Ps 102:8). “The Lord is sweet to all: and His tender mercies are over all His works.” (Ps 144:9). “Give praise to the Lord, for He is good: for His mercy endureth forever.” (Ps 117:1). “But Thou hast mercy upon all, because Thou canst do all things, and overlooketh the sins of men for the sake of repentance.” (Wisdom 11:24). “Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies, and the God of all comfort.” (2 Cor. 1:3). “Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful.” (Luke 6:36). God's mercy is most abundantly and magnificently shown in the Incarnation of the Son of God for the purpose of the Redemption. “For God so loved the world, as to give His only begotten Son; that who so ever believeth in Him, may not perish, but may have life everlasting.” (Jn 3:16). “Not according to the works if justice..., but according to His mercy, He saved us, by the laver of regeneration, and renovation of the Holy Ghost; Whom He hath poured forth upon us abundantly, through Jesus Christ our Saviour: That being justified by His grace, we maybe heirs, according to hope of life everlasting.” (Titus 3:5-7). In the Incarnation, the Son of God (Co-equal and co-eternal with the Father and the Holy Spirit) assumed human nature in which He could also experience the movement of sympathy. “Wherefore it behoved Him in all things to be made like unto His brethren, that He might become a merciful and faithful high priest before God, that He might be a propitiation for the sins of the people.”(Heb 2:17)

In God mercy and justice are wonderfully inter-connected. “All the ways of the Lord are mercy and truth to them that seek after His covenant and testimonies.” (Ps 24:10). God's distributive justice is rooted in mercy; the ultimate reason why God gives to His creatures natural and supernatural grace is because of His love and mercy. The rewarding of the good and the punishing of the wicked is not merely a work of the Divine Justice, but also the operation of the Divine Mercy, as He rewards beyond good merits, and punishes less than what the wicked deserved. On the other hand, the remission of sin is not merely a work of mercy, but at the same time a work of justice, as God demands fro the sinner repentance and atonement. The harmonious association of God's mercy and justice is magnificently shown in the death of Jesus Christ on the Cross.

God's mercy is not merely an expression of His Love and of His Goodness, but at the same time a promulgation of His Majesty and of His Power. “But Thou hast mercy upon all, because Thou canst do all things.” (Wis. 11:24)

The universe itself, with its hundreds of billions of galaxies, each containing many billions of star systems, along with their accompanying worlds, is but a beautiful dynamic cosmic dance of life, intelligence and power, created and manifested out of nothing by the very infinite Love, Wisdom and Power of God; thus created, willed into existence, by God's own Eternal Self; a mystery beyond comprehension. Yet though all the magnificent universe is created by the supra-intelligence of Almighty God, God forever transcends both the supernatural and natural orders of creation; unblemished and unalloyed by this great cosmic scheme of things, yet knows, loves, embraces governs and permeates all therein. For it is Divine Love that brought us all into being.

Although God is Eternal, Infinite and Transcendent, He also is personal, intimate and beloved; closer to you than your own blood. For our Beloved God is the Creator of our immortal souls and the source of our life and being. Thus God, our Creator, is a God of beautiful Love, who is our Sovereign Good; governing all creation by His Divine Providence. God is intimately present in the detailed working of the universe which He had brought into being. “Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? and not one of them shall fall on the ground without your Father.” (Matt. 10:29). No thing that is, or ever was, or will be, or could be, is hidden from His vision, or neglected by His Providence. “Neither is there any creature invisible to His sight; but all things are naked and open to His eyes.” (Heb. 4:13). “For in Him we live, and move, and are;” (Acts 17:28)

“O the depth of the riches of the wisdom and of the knowledge of God! How incomprehensible are His judgements, and how unsearchable His ways! For who hath known the mind of the Lord?... For of Him, and by Him, and in Him, are all things: to Him be glory forever.” (Rom. 11:33-34,36)

GOD, as revealed to us by Divine Revelation, is The Most Holy Trinity; God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy Spirit; the One GOD in Three Divine Persons. The Father is Almighty, Transcendent, Pure, Eternal, Self-luminous Infinite Existence. The Son is the Light of Pure Consciousness, the Divine Wisdom, or Word generated from the Father; the eternal I AM Presence, the perfect Image of the Father. The Holy Spirit is the Pure Love proceeding from the Father and the Son; the Life of God; the infinite ocean of Grace, Life, Knowledge, and Power. The Three are co-equal and co-eternal in Divine Majesty. Thus, one GOD in the Trinity and the Trinity in one GOD. We can understand this truth (the greatest of all mysteries that could never of been conceived without Revelation) with greater clarity by contemplating the Profession of Faith expounded by Saint Athanasius, in the 4th century A.D.

Profession of Faith

...We adore one God in the Trinity and the Trinity in one God, without confusing the Persons or dividing the substance of God. For the Person of the Father is different from the Person of the Son. And both are different from the Person of the Holy Spirit. But the Divinity of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit is one and the same in equal glory and co-eternal majesty.
What the Father is, the Son is, and the Holy Spirit is. The Father is uncreated, the Son uncreated, the Holy Spirit uncreated. The Father is immeasurable, the Son is immeasurable, the Holy Spirit immeasurable. The Father is eternal, the Son eternal, the Holy Spirit eternal. Nevertheless, there are not three eternal beings, but one eternal Being. There are not three uncreated beings, nor three immeasurable beings, but one uncreated and immeasurable Being.
Similarly, the Father is omnipotent, the Son omnipotent, the Holy Spirit omnipotent. But still, there are not three omnipotent beings, but one omnipotent Being.

Thus, God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy Spirit. And nevertheless, not three gods, but one GOD. Thus, the Father is Lord, the Son is Lord, the Holy Spirit is Lord. But nevertheless, not three lords, but one Lord. Just as we are compelled by our Christian truth to confess that each Person [of the Trinity] is God and Lord, so we are prohibited by the universal faith from speaking of three gods and lords.

The Father was made by no one: neither created nor generated. The Son is from the Father: not created, but generated. The Holy Spirit is from the Father and the Son: not made, not created, not generated, but proceeding. There is one Father, therefore, not three fathers. And there is one Son, not three sons. And there is one Holy Spirit, not three spirits.

And in this Trinity, there is no prior or posterior element, no greater or lesser. But all three Persons are co-eternal with Each Other and co-equal. And thus, in all things, as said above, we adore unity in the Trinity and the Trinity is unity. Whoever therefore wishes to be saved, must believe this about the Trinity.

But it is necessary for eternal life that you also faithfully believe in the Incarnation of Our Lord Jesus Christ. The correct belief then, is that Jesus Christ, Our Lord, is the Son of God, and is man. He is God from the substance of the Father, and generated before all time. And He is man from the substance of His mother [the Blessed Virgin Mary], having been born from His mother in time.

Perfect God. Perfect man subsisting with a rational Soul and human flesh. Equal to His Father in Divinity. Less than the Father according to his humanity. Although He is God and man, He is not two but one. He is one, not because His Divinity is changed into humanity, but because His humanity is assumed by His Divinity. He is integrally one, not because His Divine and human substances are fused and made one, but because of the oneness of His Person...

The Mystery of the Divine Trinity is known by Divine Revelation, revealed to us by God. In this Mystery we are to adore one God in Three Persons, and Three Persons in one God, without confounding the Persons or dividing the Substance. These Three Persons are one and the same God, they are equal in all the infinite perfections; they are co-equal in all things.

What then is a Person of the Trinity? A person is a rational nature existing and subsisting as a complete principle of operation.

In the Divine Revelation of the one Triune Deity there is distinction in the Persons with unity in Essence and equality in Majesty; the Godhead of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit is all ONE; the Glory equal, the Majesty co-eternal. In this Trinity there is nothing before or after, nothing greater or less; the three Divine Persons are equal in all things. While they differ in their unutterable relations and inherent personal attributes, the Divine Persons are the same in nature and absolute perfections. The unity of the Divine Trinity applies to the Substance, or Essence, or Nature. So in God there is only one Divine Substance, only one Divine Essence, only one Divine Nature; only one Divinity.

The pure, eternal, complete Act of God (as the Father) is His Thought, or His Word, the absolute awareness of Its own infinite Self; and that Thought being perfect and complete in Itself is none other than God Himself, and that Thought or Word is the eternally begotten Son, the Word of God, generated from, or eternally begotten of the Father; God from God, Light from Light, true God from true God. Now, when the Two 'look' upon Each Other what transpires between Them is again a pure act, an Act of Love, and that perfect, complete beginningless Act of pure Love is none other than God Himself again, and this Divine Act of Love within the fullness of the Absolute is the Holy Spirit, Who proceeds from the Father and the Son; The Holy Spirit is God's Love-Grace-Light-in- Action.

The Father is uncaused; unbegotten; He is a Principle with out having principle. The Father, from all eternity, in the very Act of knowing Himself, the pure awareness of His own absolute Divinity, generates or produces in Himself His own complete Image; the perfect and consubstantial likeness of Himself. This eternal living Image is His Son; The I AM; not made, not created, but begotten. The Holy Spirit is from the Father and the Son, not made, nor created, nor begotten, but proceeding – an eternal spiration. The Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father and the Son by way of Love. The Father and the Son, from all eternity, in the Act by which They Know & Love Each Other, 'produces' the Holy Spirit. Since the Father and His Beloved Son are eternal and absolute, the infinite living and subsisting fire of Love is likewise eternal and absolute. This Divine Love is God, the Holy Spirit.

As we can see, in the transcendent beauty and mystery of this supernatural Revelation of the Most Holy Trinity, there is only two immanent processions, or internal spirations in God the Absolute. For God Knows Himself and Loves Himself. A divine procession is the immanent 'manifestation', or 'production' of one Divine Person from another; God's knowledge of Himself (His Self-Knowledge) begets His Son, and the mutual Love of the Father and the Son produces the Holy Spirit. The immanent manifestation of the Word differs from that of the Holy Spirit in that the Word, or Son, is a generation and that It has for It's principle the Father alone, while the Holy Spirit has for principle the Father and the Son. The Divine Word is the inner manifestation of Divine Self-Knowledge, and the Holy Spirit is an inner manifestation of Divine Love-Life.

All that the Father has; all His Nature and all His perfections (except His Fatherhood) is communicated, and given to the Son, and the Father and the Son likewise communicate Their totality to the Holy Spirit, who proceeds from Them, the very same Nature and the very same perfections. Each Person of the Trinity has pure self-luminous Awareness and infinite Intelligence, and divine Love because they are one unity, coequal in Divine Majesty.

The above two operations in the Blessed Trinity, the generation of the Word - the Son, and the procession of the Holy Spirit, are the Internal operations, they are so unsearchable, inaccessible and incommunicable, for they are the impenetrable mysteries of the Absolute; we are trying to understand the Infinite. No finite being can hope to fathom the Infinite Being. The holy Angels and Saints in Heaven who have been bestowed with the Beatific Vision and gaze upon the unveiled divinity of the Godhead, filled to overflowing with divine Grace, Love, Light, Wisdom, and Bliss, cannot know the Supreme Mystery of the Transcendent Absolute - the Blessed Trinity in Its fullness. To know God is to be God. The Son is the Knower, the Knowledge and the Known. The fullness of Love proceeding from this Knower and the Known is the Holy Spirit - the Giver, the Receiver, and the Gift.

Now let us briefly look at the External operations, which will be expounded at length in subsequent chapters. The External operations are those actions of God 'outside' the transcendent Reality of the Divine Trinity, such as Creation, the Incarnation, the Redemption, and Sanctification. The three Persons coincide, or concur equally in these divine operations of Grace-Love-Light-and-Power. We understand that the Three Persons of the Divine Trinity concur in the external operation of Redemption, because one is Baptised in the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.
Nevertheless, Creation is usually ascribed as the personal work of the Father, yet all is created through the Son and overshadowed and pervaded by the Holy Spirit as divine Providence in the working of Grace and Justice. Likewise, Redemption is the personal work of the Son, in the sense that He alone became incarnate and suffered and died for us; to merit a way of redemption and salvation for all souls that want to recollect and return home to God, pure, illumined and incorruptible, yet in this operation the Blessed Virgin Mary conceived the Lord, in her immaculate womb, by the power of the Holy Spirit, who became Man – Our Beloved Lord Jesus the Christ. Moreover, Sanctification can be ascribed to the personal work of the Holy Spirit, which illumines the soul with Sanctifying Grace, the Life of God, yet this Paraclete, the Advocate and Comforter was sent by the Son, and it is in receiving the Truth and Sacraments of the Son that the Holy Spirit sanctifies and blesses a soul with virtues, grace and holy gifts.

There are three that give testimony in Heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost; and these three are One.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit. As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be Existence without end. Amen

Holy, Holy, Holy, the Lord God of hosts, Heaven and earth are full of Your Glory. Hosanna in the Highest...
Grand Inquisitor

Marsoups wrote :

Granted some churches can get a bit...

There is only one Church, and thus one true Religion.

The One Holy Catholic Apostolic Church - the Mystical Body of Christ; the one true supernatural Kingdom of God on this world, where one can get into intimate union and friendship with Almighty God. The Holy Universal Church in the infallible, indestructible City of God, where souls can find and receive Redemption, Sanctification and Salvation by Our Lord Jesus Christ through His Divine Doctrine and the Sacraments, living the Way, the Truth and the Life in imitation of our Blessed Lord; striving for Christian perfection and Sainthood.

This one true Religion, established by Almighty God, in this world is the Church Militant against Satan and his empire of darkness and death. This same Mystical Body of Christ in Heaven is the Church Triumphant - the Communion of Saints in the Beatific Vision, eternal beatitude.

Outside the Holy Roman Catholic Church there is no salvation or hope. It is the narrow gate, the only Path to Paradise, our true Home. The infinite merits of Our Lord's Passion, Sacrifice and Resurrection are applied only to those who are grafted onto the Mystical Body of Christ, the Vine, the Tree of Life through which the streams of Sanctifying Grace flow.
itchytriggerniggerfingers

Grand Inquisitor wrote :
ATREYU wrote :
Define "God" Plz.

46 paragraphs of rubbish that could be summed up by the following:

The invisible man, who lives in the sky, watching everything you do, every minute of everyday. :roll:

He's a busy guy :bonfire:

p.s. Atreyu, I hope you'll think TWICE before asking questions like that again. See what happens :lol:
venatrix

I'm still not convinced. In fact I will never be convinced. Sorry mate.
synthz

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swsGD_yx2h4&feature=related[/youtube]
ATREYU

itchytriggerniggerfingers wrote :
Grand Inquisitor wrote :
ATREYU wrote :
Define "God" Plz.

46 paragraphs of rubbish that could be summed up by the following:

The invisible man, who lives in the sky, watching everything you do, every minute of everyday. :roll:

He's a busy guy :bonfire:

p.s. Atreyu, I hope you'll think TWICE before asking questions like that again. See what happens :lol:

Well thats the exact stereotype that gets swung around. Calling "God", "He", personifies it and thus makes people think of it as a Person aka an entity, seemingly Human like. Which is a problem.

God defined as the underlying intelligence behind all of creation cannot be " A Guy up in the sky", its more like the "Force" in star wars, an energy permeating all existence.

All these religious people fighting about whose god is "the one true god/ religion" are not understanding there own sacred teachings which are all the same at their core. Be a nice person, respect life, be grateful, be compassionate etc etc we are all spiritual beings. Jesus was an alien :alien: Its like fighting over which is the one true "Gravity".
venatrix

Last edited by venatrix on Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ionized

ATREYU wrote :

Well thats the exact stereotype that gets swung around. Calling "God", "He", personifies it and thus makes people think of it as a Person aka an entity, seemingly Human like. Which is a problem.

God defined as the underlying intelligence behind all of creation cannot be " A Guy up in the sky", its more like the "Force" in star wars, an energy permeating all existence.

All these religious people fighting about whose god is "the one true god/ religion" are not understanding there own sacred teachings which are all the same at their core. Be a nice person, respect life, be grateful, be compassionate etc etc we are all spiritual beings. Jesus was an alien :alien: Its like fighting over which is the one true "Gravity".

Atman. :P

I really wouldn't bother wasting time. Theological discussions on the eternal are best left to cups of tea with friends on a sunny afternoon.
85 posts Page 3 of 4