One way to lower poverty, crime and child abuse...

Off Topic discussion. Use this board to discuss general, non PsyTrance related topics.
37 posts Page 1 of 2
Peril

A drug addict has become the first person in Britain to be sterilised in exchange for cash under a new project.

The man, known as John, who has been addicted to heroin for 15 years, was given £200 ($320) by a US charity to have a vasectomy.

Project Prevention, the charity running the scheme, has made similar payments to thousands of men and women in the US in a campaign to prevent them having children who may inherit their addictions.

These people don't go nearly far enough. Mandatory vasectomies for all!
http://www.smh.com.au/world/charity-pay ... 16qv1.html
venatrix

That is indeed morally reprehensible. Fuck you USA.
herbsandspices

Oh goody, Eguenics- the most reliable of sciences.

Anyway, gotta go because I have a phrenology session to attend.
itchytriggerniggerfingers

venatrix wrote :
That is indeed morally reprehensible.

As opposed to drug addicts getting knocked up & passing their addictions (and possible brain damage) onto their unborn children? Even if the parents don't pass any of their drug addiction problems onto the child, do you really think that the child is going to grow up in the right environment?
herbsandspices

Genetics is not determinative. The nature versus nurture argument is dead. Genetics is so complicated that even though we've mapped a genome, proteomic expression combinations are still largely a mystery to us.

A parent (particularly a male- in utero exposure aside for this argument) can not "pass" their addiction to their child, because it's not that simple.

I normally don't buy into slippery slope arguments, but where does this stop- other antisocial behaviours? What about paid sterilisation for smokers, or the religious?
ionized

Population control is already an issue and will be even more so by 2050 when the world population will be 9 billion.
It doesn't surprise me that certain groups are starting to 'trial' programs in the western world.

While we're on the topic of creepy depopulation shit, check out these 1010 adverts. It's fairly clear what they were trying to say but I'll let you decide for yourself.
They got pulled quick smart after the public reaction.

Satori

herbsandspices wrote :
What about paid sterilisation for the religious?

I'll chuck in $50
traveller

yeah those ads are pretty fucked up :P
venatrix

itchytriggerniggerfingers wrote :
As opposed to drug addicts getting knocked up & passing their addictions (and possible brain damage) onto their unborn children? Even if the parents don't pass any of their drug addiction problems onto the child, do you really think that the child is going to grow up in the right environment?

I know it sounds pretty wild, but perhaps it might be an idea to provide social and medical services to people with drug dependence so they can overcome them and go on to lead healthy lives?

Just a thought...

PS almost every doofer has or has had some sort of drug dependence. How many of you guys on here would sign up to be sterilised for a quick buck?
Pete_Paranoid

Kinda brooched this subject in the Euthanasia thread (or should I say threads :angry: ).

Hardcore coffee addict or human being?
venatrix

Pete_Paranoid wrote :
Kinda brooched this subject in the Euthanasia thread (or should I say threads :angry: )

Didn't know you were a brooch wearing kinda man.
rollyz

Pity they don't get all Catholics to do it at pubity. The world will be such a nicer place with in 50 years. :mrgreen:
Pete_Paranoid

venatrix is a pig, but calling her a pig isn't going to stop her acting like a pig, still is it? That's just stupid talk!

I've received a barrage of personal insults, and it's never stopped me!
venatrix

Yes you have Pete, it's because you're retarded. Stop being retarded and I will stop calling you retarded. Pretty simple.
Pete_Paranoid

No it's called a spelling mistake, deal with it!

Satori

:shock: ^^^^^
A Youtube video response from Pete that actually made some sense!
venatrix

I deal with illiteracy every single day.
Peril

Sterilising abusers 'an extreme reaction'

THE head of an organisation which supports adults who were abused as children says she is strongly against sterilising parents with a history of child abuse.

Dr Cathy Kezelman, chair of Adult Survivors of Child Abuse (ASCA), said the call for forced sterilisation by former Victorian ombudsman Norman Geschke was an extreme reaction.

She said parents who might be at risk of abusing their children should be identified in the early stages, preferably while still in hospital after giving birth.

She also said some people were aware that children were being abused, but did not come forward.

"A lot more needs to be done to protect children - there are people who know a child is being abused but don't report it," Dr Kezelman said.

"Unfortunately it's an area that has been treated with taboo, so people have decided it's not their business, but protecting children is everybody's business.

"There are lots of cases where parents need education and support and it needs to begin very early on."

Mr Geschke said that a US model used in the UK, where drug addicts were paid to undergo a vasectomy or hysterectomy, could be considered.

"My concern is that I think children, when they are born, should expect to get tender loving care," Mr Geschke said.

"I just think it's wrong to treat kids badly, that is being done and no one is really doing anything about it."

Dr Kezelman said there should be more sharing of information between government departments about children at risk.

"There is a history of poor communication between various departments that are involved and it's a matter of sharing that information and providing better support to case workers," she said.

"Statistics show a high percentage of children notified of being at risk do turn up time and time again, and yet some of those cases fall through the cracks with terrible consequences."

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/st ... 5941654880
traveller

Pete_Paranoid wrote :

:killah:

Pete_Paranoid

venatrix wrote :
I deal with illiteracy every single day.

Great, so does my Mother, before you and I were even born she was a High School English teacher.
She currently teaches at RAWFA at TAFE and has taught students from just about every 3rd world country and suffers from cancer and manic depression. She isn't an intellectual snob and tell the difference between a classroom and a psytrance forum!
venatrix

Indeed, people who post on psytrance forums have usually graduated from high school.

If you think that correct written communication only matters when you're sitting in a classroom in front of a teacher at school you're sorely mistaken.
Pete_Paranoid

venatrix wrote :
Indeed, people who post on psytrance forums have usually graduated from high school.

If you think that correct written communication only matters when you're sitting in a classroom in front of a teacher at school you're sorely mistaken.

Who cares?
As cheesy as it sounds "It's nice to be important, but more important to be nice", kinda what I've been trying to say this whole thread.
You should treat people as human beings, not just addicts!

venatrix

I vu-vu-vuvuzela you

Peril

Parents to sterilise daughter, aged 11

THE Family Court has given a Queensland couple permission to have a hysterectomy performed on their profoundly disabled 11-year-old daughter.

The decision prompted an immediate reaction from disability organisations, who describe forced sterilisation of any girl as an abuse of human rights.

"It is only ever the disabled girls," said Carolyn Frohmader, chief executive of Women with a Disability Australia, which has agitated for years for a law that would ban the sterilisation of disabled children.

"When you go through the cases, there is never a boy, no matter how intellectually disabled, who has to be sterilised."

The executive director of People with Disabilities Australia, Therese Sands, said she was "alarmed to hear that children are still being sterilised".

"It is our view that nobody has the right to sterilise a child, not a judge, not a parent, not unless it's a matter of life or death."

But National Council on Intellectual Disability executive director Mark Patterson said the issue "is a very difficult one".

"We take the pragmatic approach. It doesn't help families in their day-to-day lives if we say we are not going to allow sterilisation," he said.

The child in question, Angela, has Retts syndrome. She is profoundly disabled, and unable to communicate.

She began menstruating at age nine, and her parents believe that her periods trigger epileptic fits.

They wanted Angela to have a hysterectomy -- the removal of her womb -- to stop the periods and lessen her distress. Other treatments had failed.

Parents are ordinarily able to make decisions about medical treatment for their children, but in 1992 the High Court, in a case involving the sterilisation of a teenage girl known as Marion, found that serious, invasive, irreversible medical procedures require the permission not of parents but of the courts. In the matter of Angela, judge Paul Cronin said he made the order to improve Angela's quality of life.

Retts syndrome is a progressive neurological disorder. Angela cannot talk and does not have the co-ordination to use sign language. She "acts as a three-month-old baby would". She has a special walking frame into which she has to be strapped because she cannot stand supported alone.

Angela's mother told the court that epileptic seizures appeared to be triggered by Angela's menstrual periods, which also caused her pain and fatigue.

Three of Queensland's leading gynaecologists agreed a hysterectomy was the best treatment.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/na ... 5838410171
traveller

:shock:
37 posts Page 1 of 2