Why you're all retarded

Off Topic discussion. Use this board to discuss general, non PsyTrance related topics.
19 posts Page 1 of 1
venatrix

Last edited by venatrix on Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kayhat

Typical thread for a hater to make! :mrgreen:
treedreamer

people believe bullshit because of insecurity, laziness, fear and cowardice.

and yes, teachers do encourage and try to teach children to think critically but how can educators compete with, say, 'keeping up with the kardashians (or is that kardasians), X-factor, WHO magazine, and so on and so on and so on?

the mindless addiction to anything as far removed from the visceral and the instinctual is feeding ignorance. hardly anyone thinks for themselves and most people are too afraid to dissent from group opinion.
venatrix

Last edited by venatrix on Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flurohero

i thought it was because the average i.q. is only ten points above medically defined imbecility?
noitnemretsim

This is no domain to own the tardopolis. This is more the place the smartest of the dumbest get confidence boosts around 4pm/4am.
venatrix

Last edited by venatrix on Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flurohero

if the average is'75' ,that means half are under '75'....

and yes they can legally and reasonably own kids and giant cars,take loans ,vote and do other stuff actual 'adults' do.

if you are even semi-competent you are quite totally surrounded,totally outnumbered,everywhere and everyday.

reasons to be cheerful aye?
venatrix

Last edited by venatrix on Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flurohero

the extra rub is ....
a 10 ten year old has one hundred----are you smarter than a fifth grader???
venatrix

Really? Is that what that tv show thing was about?

Ps yes, I really am.
MotherShabubu

IQ scores are standardised to a median (basically the same as average in a normal distribution) of 100 and a standard deviation of 15. So assuming a normal distribution (pretty correct) 68.2% of people will be between 85 and 115 (34.1% each way). Around 9% of people will have an IQ below 80. Mental retardation is defined (in the US anyway) as below 75, which would be around 4.5% of the population.
According to the Flynn effect IQ scores are increasing by about 3 points per decade. This combined with the fact the test is only revised every 15-20 years can cause some weirdness (http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/node/985). And Flynn apparently spends a lot of time in court trying to prove people are retarded under current definitions to get them off being executed.
Of course increasing IQ scores are pretty useless if people aren't being properly educated and you can have increasing IQs and decreasing levels of knowledge or critical thinking.
the wellest wicked

venatrix wrote :
Myth busters
November 25, 2010 - 6:30AM

A lot of weird beliefs are unsinkable rubber ducks: they just keep bobbing up time and time again no matter how often and how completely they get debunked.

That’s not to say that people are generally a bit thick — and in any case, exceedingly smart people can hold exceedingly silly beliefs. The problem has more to do with how people think about the things they’re told, and indeed whether they stop to think about them at all.

A lot of it boils down to critical thinking, the ability to mentally pick apart a claim by giving it the once-over for general plausibility, identifying the assumptions on which it is based, and evaluating the evidence (if any) produced to support it.
Advertisement: Story continues below

But rather than listen to myself rabbit on about this for several hundred words, I decided to call Dr Karl Kruszelnicki, who has his finger on the popular pulse of critical thinking as it relates to science.

In his science phone-in segments on Triple J (Thursdays, 11am) and BBC radio (also available as a podcast) Dr Karl has found that there are certain things he has to debunk over and over again. These include — but are by no means limited to — Power Balance bracelets, the idea that the world will end when the Mayan calendar runs out in 2012, and rumours of an impending astronomical event that would cause Mars to appear as big as the moon in the night sky.

‘‘People will believe anything they’re told,’’ Dr Karl says. ‘‘They expect to be spoon-fed.’’
‘‘The other day we were in a cafe having lunch and the waiter had a degree in philosophy and he said ‘There’s a (living) person who hasn’t eaten in 40 years.’ I suddenly realised that his study of philosophy hadn’t equipped him to think that well.’’

(The waiter is hardly alone, though, in having been hoodwinked by people who claim to live on sunlight or air. They seem to be particularly popular in India, although the Indian sceptics are on to them.)

Dr Karl, who will be speaking on science and scepticism at The Amazing Meeting Australia in Sydney this weekend, lays much of the blame on an education system that he says ‘‘is basically about learning to regurgitate’’ rather than learning to think things through.
‘‘If something sounds too good to be true it probably is,’’ he says. ‘‘The internet is about as reliable as a drunk guy at a pub writing with Texta on the toilet wall.’’

His advice for people presented with an unusual claim is simply ‘‘Ask for proof.’’

Jolly good advice it is too, and it works best if you’ve put some thought in to how to evaluate any evidence that might be provided. You might find it helpful, for instance, to give more weight to a nice stack of peer-reviewed scientific studies than to a bunch of lurid allegations on a conspiracy theory website.

Your mileage may vary, of course. Many conspiracy theorists will tell you what appears to be a complete lack of evidence to support their theory is in fact conclusive evidence that the conspirators are especially good at covering their tracks.

The internet, for all the pitfalls that Dr Karl quite rightly points out, does have some fine resources you can use to brush up your critical thinking skills (you can find a couple of them here and here.

What kind of shape do you think your critical faculties are in?

How do you determine whether or not a particular claim is likely to be true? Do you look for proof or trust your gut feelings? What kind of logical fallacies do you most commonly see deployed in support of pseudoscience? If you have children, are you (or their schools) teaching them to think critically?

Word. :thumb:
djdos83

I think it is good to learn how to think critically but it is also good to be able to think outside the box, i love a good conspiracy theory and in my experience when you ignore the mainstream media and do a bit of research some of them turn out to be true!, take crop circles for example the msm try to make you beleive they are hoax's done by people, if anyone beleives this i would be more than happy to convince you otherwise. You mention power balnce bracelets too i thought they were the stupidest scam ever until someone did the 'balance test' on me taking at least twice the pressure to tip me off balance, i have bought one and tried it on several of my sceptic friends and they are just as amazed. You also mention people who live with no food and survive off sunlight and air, this is imposible i have heard of people living of prana which is an energy you can recieve through your crown chakra through deep meditation, but this is very difficult in our current state of consciousness. It is important to challenge the staus quo once you were thought of as a nut if you didnt think the sun and planets revolve around the earth, and now scientists are making amazing discoveries, eg: stating that the world is a holographic illusion (bill hicks was right!) every atom that we and everything else is made of is approx 99.9999% empty space! (fact) and its these empty atoms that make up our world... i leave you with a mind blowing video of a brain scientist who had a stroke in the left hemishpere of her brain and stayed conscious through the whole thing, her experience is amazing! (it starts to get good at about 7min)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyyjU8fzEYU
:bonfire:
herbsandspices

as if to prove a point. /sigh
Peril

First I would like to post this short for the upcomming Gawd Bless America:
...the part at the 'Alien Convention' at Roswell and the Crop Circles look quite enjoyable ;) :)

....and this: basically a bloke asked a whole shitload of people "WHAT SCIENTIFIC CONCEPT WOULD IMPROVE EVERYBODY'S COGNITIVE TOOLKIT?" and collated the answers.

Some of the answers are interesting, some pretty heavy, but makes for interesting reading nonetheless.

http://www.edge.org/q2011/q11_2.html
venatrix

Last edited by venatrix on Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peril

...there's 16 more pages of collatedness ;)

...should get *someone* part of the way through a crappy shift ;)

http://www.youtube.com/user/Hollywoodhillbillies <- "Official Site" for the movie apparently (press f5 on this page to charge your inner fanboi).
venatrix

Peril wrote :

...there's 16 more pages of collatedness ;)

...should get *someone* part of the way through a crappy shift ;)

http://www.youtube.com/user/Hollywoodhillbillies <- "Official Site" for the movie apparently (press f5 on this page to charge your inner fanboi).

fair call there :)

if you dont have a computer at work you're shit outta luck tho :/ stupid jobs not involving sitting in front of a computer!
19 posts Page 1 of 1