Shoplifting

Off Topic discussion. Use this board to discuss general, non PsyTrance related topics.
12 posts Page 1 of 1
fnarky

Apparently, if you shoplift anything under the value of $600 in Victoria all you will receive is a $239 fine.

Check out this video!

http://www.upyourthumb.com

What do you think of the guy?

Now I don't condone shoplifting on the whole. But I find it pretty astonishing that you can shoplift, say $599, and the worst that can happen to you is a $239 fine.

No wonder so many people shoplift!

:wink:
venatrix

Last edited by venatrix on Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rollyz

There is a reason for low fines.... to get more people into crime. Police and authorties need something to do to justify their jobs. Society became vey law abiding, and cuts to securtity services and police were on the board. Lawers also realised with less people coming through the courts, their profits would be down and no porches and beach condos for them. As well, by the time someone did something really bad, they would be let off as a first time offender, and so the gaols will be empty. So to make more money, keep jobs and throw the book at people.... to make it inviting to let people do petty crime, they are building up a history case on people as long term offenders.... fooling the shoplifters thinking ahhh, its only a small fine. 8)
fnarky

rollyz wrote :
There is a reason for low fines.... to get more people into crime. Police and authorties need something to do to justify their jobs. Society became vey law abiding, and cuts to securtity services and police were on the board. Lawers also realised with less people coming through the courts, their profits would be down and no porches and beach condos for them. As well, by the time someone did something really bad, they would be let off as a first time offender, and so the gaols will be empty. So to make more money, keep jobs and throw the book at people.... to make it inviting to let people do petty crime, they are building up a history case on people as long term offenders.... fooling the shoplifters thinking ahhh, its only a small fine. 8)

Ha, you're such a tripper! :lol:
fnarky

venatrix wrote :
That's a really cool website :) Is it yours?

OK you got me! :wink:

Now make sure you forward the link to everyone you know. I need to drive traffic. Put it on Facebook, post links in forums, send emails. Whatever.

I've quit my job to do this because I believe it's a better use of my time than working in the media. And much more fun.

It won't earn me any money unless someone, somewhere thinks there's something in it for them. And that means I need lots of hits.

So, you know, help me make a go of it.

:D
venatrix

Last edited by venatrix on Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flurohero

so if you grab something $599,you will be $260 up ?
traveller

8) hehe

i think the interview is implying that the david jones security
got the stolen item back, and he was then given a fine..

i would guess someone would "be $260 up" if they first got away with the item,
stashed or sold it, and then later they got busted for it somehow and given the fine then?

still...its kind of a weird loophole they have there for now anyways!
fnarky

risk < reward
forcastfascistfuture

I think you will find that on top of the fine, you will also have to return the item and pay victims damages. That's how it is in NSW, anyway, and it would probably be similar in Victoria.
venatrix

forcastfascistfuture wrote :
I think you will find that on top of the fine, you will also have to return the item and pay victims damages. That's how it is in NSW, anyway, and it would probably be similar in Victoria.

I think the point of the post was that VIC and NSW are not similar in this respect....
fnarky

forcastfascistfuture wrote :

That's not what happened to the bloke I interviewed.

I think you will find that sometimes if you check facts before you post you might learn something and save yourself from looking like a fool.

:wink:
12 posts Page 1 of 1