Dubstep Recommendations

Off Topic discussion. Use this board to discuss general, non PsyTrance related topics.
41 posts Page 1 of 2
SYNeR

Herro,

So, I'm looking for good Dubstep recommendations. And, seeing as though this is a psytrance forum,
I thought people here would have good taste. I've looked around, and had one or two people recommend
artists that have been nothing more than cheesy shit. The only artist I've liked (loved) so far is Burial
and that's it.

I'm more interested in darker stuff, I guess. Or anything that's in good taste. Basically I wish to avoid
cheesiness. If I want cheese, I go to the supermarket.

So, having said that, does anyone have any good recommendations?

Cheers,

Mark

Edit: Also, I was going to post this in Music, but no one seems to post there except for people smapping psytrance album releases.
solconnection

Im not a huge dubstep fan but i do really like some of the stuff that teeters on the edge.

Shakleton
has some really nice deep, well thought out tunes with a bass heavy/percussive/minimal slant.

this might be down your alley, it's a huge track, he has a lot of stuff in this vein..i like how sparse it is, makes more room for the bass. It's good up loud!

shackleton - the branch is weak

there is another dubstep(ish) group I really like called mt kimbie, though a little less dark and more in the vein of burial. It's quirky and beautiful and deep. People in the youtube comments usually argue wether it is dubstep or not, which is always a good sign to me :)

mt kimbie - 50 mile view

mt kimbie - vertical

(please do yourself a favour and download both their 'sketch on glass' and 'maybes' eps and burn them together as if they were an album...much better than their actual album 'crooks and lovers')

eskmo - cloud light...the vox may or may not be your thing, but these are some next level beats. I think it's beautiful.

Ital Tek
ital tek, i like his newer stuff off his Midnight Colour album, but his older stuff has a bit more dubstep wobble if thats what your after.....not very dark, but great synth work and lush vibes :)

Ital Tek - Moonbow

Autechre - Ilanders (listen in 720p)

its really a stretch to call this dubstep, ok, it's not at all :) but it's dark and bassy and awesome as hell... best listened to intently in a darkened room or something...lots of hidden patterns and interesting unresolving melodies :)

other beaty artists worth checking out, all of them have the odd good dark track floating around, though i mostly like them for their dreamy stuff :)
Teebs, Lukid, Lone, Eskmo, Baths, Floating Points, Flying Lotus, Kelpe, umm, ill get back to you.

hopefully something there gives you some more directions to try

have a nice day
-Dan
guide dogs association

Electro Mass James Thomas, Weston-Super-Mare, Britain (UK)
http://soundcloud.com/electro-mass/tracks
kayhat

Defunkt Dialekt - free download here...

http://www.bedroomresearch.com/DISCOTEK ... ekt_Ep.zip

Vex'd, Zomby, Ed Solo, Broken Note, Niveau Zero, Cardopusher, Antiserum, Boxcutter, Eprom, Filastine, james Blake, King Midas sound, Lorn, Marlow, milez benjamin, mimosa, modeselektor, neill landstrumm, pantyraid, robot koch, sickboy, rudi zygadlo, si begg, seventh swami, scuba, sun in aquarius, starkey, the bug, tipper, wagawaga, virus syndicate, akira kateshi, beats antique, Kode9, entanglement, mr bill, tom cosm, lysdexic, backwardsman, the mollusc, circuit bent...

there's heaps of good stuff out there!

Here's a great new aussie compilation by Hopskotch

http://hopskotch.info/hopskotch-compilation
SYNeR

Great, thanks heaps for all the recommendations.
I especially like that Shackleton track (..But the Branch is Weak).
This will keep me busy for a while :)
solconnection

another good dark dubstep track

Nosaj Thing - Us (Jon Hopkins Remix)

vid clip is intense too :)

-Dan
traveller

wicked stereo field in that track :)
brainstorma

dependswhat your looking for
you looking for hard dirty ukdubstep or light fuzzy US dubstep

Uk syles look up borgore (heis from israel but got a good uk sound going)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbjAejd70WQ&feature=related[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoG146ZlGsQ&feature=related[/youtube]

16bit for some really hard edges
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Waqn0jBG58&feature=related[/youtube]

cant go wrong with boxcutter

on the fluff side you have artists like bassnecter

tese are good starts
fromhere you can delve deeper
follow the artists that either remix these guyor have been remixed and you willstart to findthe sounds your looking for
kayhat

brainstorma wrote :

:P

With all due respect, your national handling of dubstep and their sounds needs work. ;)
herbsandspices

My best dubstep reccommendation is "It's Rubbish Don't Bother" on WhyCan'tAnyoneElseSeeThis records.
brainstorma

kayhat wrote :
brainstorma wrote :

:P

With all due respect, your national handling of dubstep and their sounds needs work. ;)

how so?

there is a very distince diffrance in sound of uk dubstep to US dbstep
brainstorma

been enjoying noisia's workof late
specialy there remix works

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAO-lzl3vVQ&feature=related[/youtube]

datsikis an old fave

and been liking the direection that liquid strainger has taken
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0CCyZvGarc&feature=related[/youtube]
kayhat

Oh no you didn't. You just dropped the S bomb. No wonder I can't take you seriously for dubstep recommendations!

herbsandspices wrote :
My best dubstep reccommendation is "It's Rubbish Don't Bother" on WhyCan'tAnyoneElseSeeThis records.

Man, it must REALLY burn you that dubstep has taken over as new king of the outdoor australian music sound...
herbsandspices

I'm not in Australia to verify if this is the case, but if you're correct, then yes.

Yes it does.
kayhat

Well, don't worry, it's already getting old. It's already a post-movement, as far as I'm concerned.

It's nice that other kinds of music can be given a go at doofs then psytrance, I thought it was a good revolution for those purposes...
venatrix

Last edited by venatrix on Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kayhat

Reference list plz. Harvard style preferred.

I might also like to point out that you haven't given a single recommenation yourself, you just came on this thread to be a fucking troll, you piece of crap.
venatrix

kayhat wrote :
Reference list plz. Harvard style preferred.

I might also like to point out that you haven't given a single recommenation yourself, you just came on this thread to be a fucking troll, you piece of crap.

I haven't given a single recommendation because I share herbsandspices' sentiments on the matter.

In fact, someone much more witty and observant than myself summed it up rather nicely yesterday

Listen to as much dubstep as you like, but don't make the mistake of thinking a discussion about how dubstep is 'king' of the doof is going to achieve anything.
FeralBrown

LOM!!! apply same to sightrance, and we're actually getting somewhere!!!

:bounce:
FRACAS

It is quite sad that in a thread for RECOMMNEDATIONS the genre bashers jump in and say they would recommend not listening to the genre. Open your minds and your ears..
brainstorma

old one but a good one

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhdggbVvkvo&feature=related[/youtube]

interesting track found the other day
Hylomorphism

kayhat wrote :
Man, it must REALLY burn you that dubstep has taken over as new king of the outdoor australian music sound...

Long live dark psytrance
itchytriggerniggerfingers

Gaberaham

I'm not very big on Dubstep, but I can reccomed Mr Bill as a good artist :) I would also reccomend Bioteq, check him out on Soundcloud :)
flurohero

that really shit 'ministry of sound' dubstep compilation.

you know something has really truly had the arse-ripped when 'ministry of sound' reckon it is 'underground' and sell a million copies to the robots.
lamest,most average wankers will play it all summer .
thanks very much to the trendy teen dude who mistook himself for cool playing it at the skatepark the other day!

you would probably understand why i wanted to vomit so very badly.
41 posts Page 1 of 2