Is "dark matter" a load of bullocks?

Off Topic discussion. Use this board to discuss general, non PsyTrance related topics.
12 posts Page 1 of 1
Marsoups

I have thought so... Though hard to know, but seems consensus of quantum theorists seems to think so..

That's the thing with quantum physics, somebody comes up with a label and an idea, and then everything else kinda hinges on that expectation... One wonders how many of these *very* expensive experiments are testing something that can't be proven or doesnt even exist..

So it's good to hear alternative views, and a scientist has recently proposed that 'dark matter' may be just one of those ideas :

(PhysOrg.com) -- One of the biggest unsolved problems in astrophysics is that galaxies and galaxy clusters rotate faster than expected, given the amount of existing baryonic (normal) matter. The fast orbits require a larger central mass than the nearby stars, dust, and other baryonic objects can provide, leading scientists to propose that every galaxy resides in a halo of (as yet undetectable) dark matter made of non-baryonic particles. As one of many scientists who have become somewhat skeptical of dark matter, CERN physicist Dragan Slavkov Hajdukovic has proposed that the illusion of dark matter may be caused by the gravitational polarization of the quantum vacuum.

http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-08-dar ... acuum.html

http://science.slashdot.org/story/11/08 ... eedfetcher
Hylomorphism

I'm not saying that I adhere to the Dark Matter theory, but you ought to see this nonetheless. This is a small snippet of an awesome documentary; called "How the Universe Works" (with a total running time of 344 minutes)

This second video carries it further, showing how astronomers and cosmologists believe that they have indirectly detected it through observong gravitational lensing (the bendind of the light from distant galaxies by large presenses of invisible matter too big to be black holes) in the Hubble Deep Field.

herbsandspices

BINDIGOAT wrote :
When you stir a cup of water & drop a bean in it, the bean will spin around,

Really? What type of bean did you use. I tried this with a runner bean and it didn't work it just sorta sat there hanging out the cup.

Does dark matter really bend beans?
Peril

That Stuff is Quite Powerful, and They do seem to know quite a lot.

My Nanna used to make Bean Soup quite a bit when I was younger, as I stirred it I all ways wondered what it had been before it was soup, as there was Dark Matter at the bottom of my bowl?

Though, to respond to Marsoups - Got any more links (Lazy me and no one at work has bought a New Scientist Mag for the Dunny in about 8 months - BF3 gives you free Beta if you pre-order though, etc) ;)

I like reading about "Quatum".
I like reading about how difficult it is to get a quantum processor to do (relative to "what They promise" is all within grasp and capable of ) simple tasks compared to the amount of effort and energy that goes into each experiment, what they've overcome and where they hope to go next!
(In Awe)
...as I read the articles, I look at the pictures of massive Processor Dies mounted in copper etc about to be submerged into a vat of Liquid Nitrogen where it takes about half an hour for the lot to cool down do a temp to where it all can operate for long enough that maybe a few experiments can be run to show...?

And think FWAOR!

Because I can remember back to my childhood to where it took forever for each level of a game to load off of a cassette tape onto my mate's C64, we read in the magazines and books that we garnered our 'listings' and etc from, of how computers were once made using valves linked by wire and filled the area of a large room! Punch-card programming, LOL! Our BASIC contained Poke AND GOTO Commands! ;) :P

So, got some interesting linx, guy's?

P.S. ;)

HDD with 5MB storage in 1956.

In September 1956 IBM launched the 305 RAMAC, the first computer with a hard disk drive (HDD). The HDD weighed over a ton and stored 5MB of data.

Start appreciating your memory stick!
itchytriggerniggerfingers

Peril wrote :
Start appreciating your memory stick![/i]

+

+

=

itchytriggerniggerfingers

"iDildo"???

herbsandspices

Guys stop bean silly.
venatrix

Perhaps the OP is just baked...
Peril

Oh Peas, keep running with it :m:
Peril

itchytriggerniggerfingers wrote :
"iDildo"???

No doubt itchi, no doubt!

:P

I would call that an iBrator.
venatrix

Peril wrote :

Oh Peas, keep running with it :m:

This thread butter go somewhere or I'll give someone a black eye :samurai:
Peril

Whoa,

Do you're self a Fava and Climb down!

...the stress, it's no good for your Pulses - don't you know?
12 posts Page 1 of 1