Yolngu Eclipse 2012

Northern Territory Forums - Upcoming Events, Lifts, Scene Discussion & more.
10 posts Page 1 of 1
venatrix

Welcome friends,

Just after dawn, 14th of November 2012, some places in Northern Australia will witness "totality" during a total solar eclipse that begins in Northern Arnhem Land, crosses the Gulf of Carpentaria and then crosses Cape York (and leaves Australia north of Cairns), to eclipse the Pacific Ocean.

You are invited to attend a special gathering of the tribes to celebrate this epoc making special event. The gathering will happen at a special location in north east Arnhem Land , and will run from several days before the eclipse, until many, many days after.

Join us for this incredible celestial show.

It will be an epic journey for all concerned,

Yolngu Eclipse Experience is a collaborative project between the local Yolngu people and a diverse mob of NT based artists, eclipse chasers, musos, djs, performers and organisers to create a truly multicultural, multidimensional celebration of this awesome event.

Join their mailing list here http://yolngueclipse.org/email/index.php
FeralBrown

:!: not too be too anal about it, but it's probably far more appropriate and respectful to advertise the Cairns one here... I don't think a dry community really needs most of the people that will come to Australiens looking for a mad 2012 eclipse party.
http://solareclipse2012.com/
venatrix

FeralBrown wrote :
:!: not too be too anal about it, but it's probably far more appropriate and respectful to advertise the Cairns one here... I don't think a dry community really needs most of the people that will come to Australiens looking for a mad 2012 eclipse party.

Thank you for your input. The post has been up for about four months now. No one from the NT scene, nor either of the mods have contacted me and asked for it to be removed. If anyone from the NT scene would prefer that this post is taken down please contact me (or ask via the mods if you feel more comfortable doing it that way) and I will do so immediately.

In regards to your personal opinion feral, I am sure you are more than aware of how little I give a fuck.
FeralBrown

venatrix wrote :
FeralBrown wrote :

Thank you for your input. The post has been up for about four months now. No one from the NT scene, nor either of the mods have contacted me and asked for it to be removed. If anyone from the NT scene would prefer that this post is taken down please contact me (or ask via the mods if you feel more comfortable doing it that way) and I will do so immediately.

NT folk don't really come here much and I only stumbled on this looking for OBE threads/photos for the "blast from the past" thread... :roll:

In regards to your personal opinion feral, I am sure you are more than aware of how little I give a fuck.

Nice. This isn't just about you.
kayhat

It's not just about you either. You're actually being not just selfish, but downright freaking retarded.

I thought it'd be a great idea then to go see another eclipse in the desert, and we the people should be able to have the choice of where we want to see the eclipse. You can't go tell people where they have to go to have a party during the eclipse, it's controlling bullshit.

Who the fuck are you anyway, coming to another states thread and demanding people come to your states party, it's a fucking joke.

Fuck, talk about double standards...
FeralBrown

kayhat wrote :
It's not just about you either. You're actually being not just selfish, but downright freaking retarded.

No... it's not about me in the slightest. I fail to see how pointing out these simple requests is in any way selfish. And retarded? How so?
A> Please respect Yolngu land and Yolngu culture. Yolngu customary law exists on Yolngu land, so please take the time to understand that society here does not operate in exactly the same way as what you are familiar with in your home town.
B>Visitors must respect the privacy of the communities and homelands, always remembering that they are driving on and visiting private property.
C>Alcohol is not allowed in communities. All drugs & other illegal substances are also prohibited.
D>Please resist from supplying alcohol to community members who ask you to purchase it for them.
E>Please leave native flora & fauna on Aboriginal land without consultation with Yolngu.
F>Be aware of and respect sacred sites, as well as desecrate the landscape that is the source of food, Ancestral power, and totemic affiliation for Yolngu.
G>Yolngu women will always wear long skirts/pants, they do not like showing a lot of leg, for both modesty and comfort reasons. It would be appropriate for visitors to wear the similar attire. Bikini’s are not looked at as being very appropriate. Not culturally appropriate to Yolngu.

etc...

I thought it'd be a great idea then to go see another eclipse in the desert, and we the people should be able to have the choice of where we want to see the eclipse.

No. It is the call of the owners of the land where you get to go and where you don't. If they have given permission and stipulations (which would definitely have to come with permission) they should be reflected in all advertising of the festival- that is a simple matter of respect, and will clear up any confusion.

You can't go tell people where they have to go to have a party during the eclipse, it's controlling bullshit.

I never told anyone where they HAVE TO go, just where the general doofing populace probably SHOULDN'T go- if someone is genuinely interested in the experience that is being offered (and willing to abide by the rules), by all means go to the Yolngu festival (I may well do so myself)...

Who the fuck are you anyway, coming to another states thread and demanding people come to your states party, it's a fucking joke.

Someone who has done quite a bit of aid work with Aboriginal (and other) communities and individuals, as well as traveled quite extensively and seen the difference between a decent dry community and ones that let grog and wackytobaccy slip through. Also, Cairns is not in my state, nor am I in any way affiliated with that festival- I made a simple suggestion, not a demand, nor a scene. Nice jump to conclusions, there.

Fuck, talk about double standards...

You may need to, because I'm totally missing any double standards presented here. While you're at it, you may want to clarify your position, rather than attacking not only mine, but the publicized requests of the traditional land owners. All you have to do is explain how the route to the festival isn't going to cause anyone to trespass or cause any social disturbance (ie- festival-goers camping/drinking/smoking/dot-dot-dotting on Yolngu land etc.) and/or that permission has been granted by Yolngu elders and other relevant authorities. It really is quite simple, and from the outset I said I wasn't trying to be too anal about it- I've spelled out my stance, now explain yourself. :)
kayhat

I couldn't be assed taking an hour explaining my stance (although I appreciate the fact you have), but will just tell you you briefly why I said what I said.

From my point of view, it looks like that you want people to go to the cairns solstice festival. You came on this thread demanding that people go to the cairns festival. I thought it would be a good idea to go doofing in the desert for the eclipse, as this would minimise environmental impact somewhat. I believe people should have the freedom to walk whereever they want in the world without the fear of reprive. And it looked to me like there was a fair deal of conferance going on between landholders and promoters from where I was sitting (ie; the beginning promo), so one could say you're saying the promoters full of shit in so many words.

Why not just come out and say it blunt in this case?!

I have no idea about the politics, nor do I particularly want to, to tell the truth. I don't entirely agree with landowner politics although I do respect their rights as custodians, lets leave it at that.

Try putting yourself in the laymans shoes,,,,

ie; someone who doesn't know bugger all about the sensitive issues in regards to this. If it's so sensitive, why doesn't this thread get taken off here in order to stop miscommunications like this happening? The faults not mine, I just have limited punters perspective on this, it's not my job to know all the ins and outs about this shit.

I think I've explianed myself well enough, you seem to know a fair deal more then me about the situation, but hopefully you can see my point of view in this matter. cheers...
NunyaB

*Double Post* #deleted#
Last edited by NunyaB on Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NunyaB

Some good and very interesting points there Feral Brown. I first read about this Festival on oztrance forum. From memory the organizers of this party have permission and stipulated some conditions set by the land owners apparently. Also there will be some lead up events to this ( not sure it's on that site though, but I think it is).

I have concern with a number of promoters that are approaching aboriginal land owners. They are doing this because generally it's a lot cheaper then to get a permit from a normal council. Thus some health and safety issue requirements are often avoided, as these cost a fair bit of money. Though the thing that worries me is that while some elders may give approval it can be that the aboriginal council officially doesn't (knowingly or unknowingly aware of the event). Then in some cases there joint jurisdiction of the land between the aboriginal council and state government etc. Thus for example a Park Ranger (government) has the final say.

Personally I find this exploitation by some promoters and possibility of corrupt elders looking to make a easy buck a bit alarming. It's is difficult to get a straight honest answer from promoters and the doof community in general will take every word as gospel from the promoter, because all they care for is a doof and a environment with others to get off chops.(generalization)

Now as far as this particular event I don't know the finer details but there is more info on oztrance as I stated earlier.
kayhat

NunyaB wrote :
Some good and very interesting points there Feral Brown. I first read about this Festival on oztrance forum. From memory the organizers of this party have permission and stipulated some conditions set by the land owners apparently. Also there will be some lead up events to this ( not sure it's on that site though, but I think it is).

I have concern with a number of promoters that are approaching aboriginal land owners. They are doing this because generally it's a lot cheaper then to get a permit from a normal council. Thus some health and safety issue requirements are often avoided, as these cost a fair bit of money. Though the thing that worries me is that while some elders may give approval it can be that the aboriginal council officially doesn't (knowingly or unknowingly aware of the event). Then in some cases there joint jurisdiction of the land between the aboriginal council and state government etc. Thus for example a Park Ranger (government) has the final say.

Personally I find this exploitation by some promoters and possibility of corrupt elders looking to make a easy buck a bit alarming. It's is difficult to get a straight honest answer from promoters and the doof community in general will take every word as gospel from the promoter, because all they care for is a doof and a environment with others to get off chops.(generalization)

Now as far as this particular event I don't know the finer details but there is more info on oztrance as I stated earlier.

Well, don't fucking get involved in this one, let them work it out for themselves.

You've got absolutely fuck all to do with this, MARCUS.
10 posts Page 1 of 1