***EMERGENCY IN QLD*** THERE IS NO OUTDOORS !!

Queensland Forums (Brisbane etc) - Upcoming Events, Lifts, Scene Discussion & more.
85 posts Page 1 of 4
Gun-Slinger

There are sooooo Few outdoors in qld !!!! I am appalled at how many outdoors are being organized and the content of the lineups for these outdoors !! It is RUBBISH ! On average 1 every 2 months ...more near the end of the year. Most qld psy freaks have to travel to Nsw to catch a Good Doof.....

I for one think its time for a a change! :banghead:

I do apreciate the effort and skill involved in Orchestrating an Outdoor and understand the troubles plagued with getting Worthy acts to play at them. But there is a market for it here. The psy scene is quite underground here in brizzy , no one knows what it is. U ask someone if they like psy and they get quisical look on there face " whats that ?". In melbourne !!! Oh in melbourne the answer is " no but my mate is " .

To the point , I think promoters are overlooking us up here in brizvegas. Yes theres not alot of Psyheads here now but never playing any here isnt helping. Theres enough to support more events being played ! The more events u play the more word of mouth gets around about how AWSOME it is to be at a psy party.

My thanks to the efforts of those who do organize the partys we all enjoy at the moment :bonfire: :dance: :dj:

franny

hahahahahahaha try typing that on Oztrance, or even better, fusingbrisbane.com hahahahahahahahah

Im still copping flack on oztrance for typing "why doesnt brissy have a psy trance scene" about 2 - 3 years ago ....... hahahahaahaha

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

rollyz

Your lucky that there be only 1 party every two months. Bring back the good old days of fewer parties. Quality, not Quantity. And everyone turns up to them, which makes them more special. ;)

Kaneda

rollyz wrote :
Your lucky that there be only 1 party every two months. Bring back the good old days of fewer parties. Quality, not Quantity. And everyone turns up to them, which makes them more special. ;)

:D
Kaneda

Gun-Slinger wrote :
There are sooooo Few outdoors in qld !!!! I am appalled at how many outdoors are being organized and the content of the lineups for these outdoors !! It is RUBBISH ! On average 1 every 2 months ...more near the end of the year. Most qld psy freaks have to travel to Nsw to catch a Good Doof.....

I do apreciate the effort and skill involved in Orchestrating an Outdoor and understand the troubles plagued with getting Worthy acts to play at them. But there is a market for it here. The psy scene is quite underground here in brizzy , no one knows what it is. U ask someone if they like psy and they get quisical look on there face " whats that ?". In melbourne !!! Oh in melbourne the answer is " no but my mate is " .

To the point , I think promoters are overlooking us up here in brizvegas. Yes theres not alot of Psyheads here now but never playing any here isnt helping. Theres enough to support more events being played ! The more events u play the more word of mouth gets around about how AWSOME it is to be at a psy party.

My thanks to the efforts of those who do organize the partys we all enjoy at the moment :bonfire: :dance: :dj:

Did you goto Shmerkaba? Are you going to Vector?
Shmerkaba was put together *quite* nicely, yet mabye 50 people turned up.. Now theres nothing wrong with this at all, I still had a great time... But that isn't very sustainable...

I was expressing my concern of possibly losing lots of money from putting on Vector to a friend the other day, they replied with:

"Yeah, well it used to be like 4-6 parties a year, and *everyone* would goto them, and they were really special... But now theres one every second weekend, and Brisbane's a small town.."

Things aren't as simple as you may think...

witchynikki

well said Stu :thumb:

Marsoups

There's Vector, Tits on Fire a fortnight later, then in April there's the Equinox event with Alkaloid productions featuring one of the bigger names in psy at the moment, Rinkadink!!!!!!

IMO there's little room to complain in this dept. living in Brisbane!! :P

Marsoups

Oh yes, some have said that outdoors has a lot of risk with it, and that it is ..

Legalities are the biggest problem when you want to make a party big, and big they have to be to support a high calibre of artists... The bigger you get the more money you need, also the higher the risk factor gets as it could rain on the night and totally wipe out your party...
Or the farmer decides to tell you that you can't use his land for whatever reason on the last day...

Out doors aint easy, I think for the most part we have got to accept that outdoor gigs in these parts are relatively intimate affairs and quite underground :)

Kaneda

Oh and March 12th at a very special location... :)
Pi_Rate

Gun-Slinger wrote :

Excellent, when are you putting one on??? :thumb:

mk-ultra

Marsoups wrote :
There's Vector, Tits on Fire a fortnight later, then in April there's the Equinox event with Alkaloid productions featuring one of the bigger names in psy at the moment, Rinkadink!!!!!!

IMO there's little room to complain in this dept. living in Brisbane!! :P

tits on fire is in Northern New South Wales (a.k.a. Byron)

Pi_Rate

You also might have missed the Ãœberwasser details...April 9, New Moon.

Not sure if they will be posted here as yet. :wink:

Gun-Slinger

I new someone would try that shit - "Excellent, when are you putting one on??? Thumb" - IN fact myself and my good friends are doing the best we can at the moment to beginn organizing parties. Equipment is our major problem , we have access to 8k system but we have no subs :cry:

"Your lucky that there be only 1 party every two months. Bring back the good old days of fewer parties. Quality, not Quantity. And everyone turns up to them, which makes them more special. " - CRAP !! UTTER CRAP !! Thats lying down and admitting defeat !!! WHY CANT WE HAVE QUALITY AND QUANTITY ! There are places all over the world who have parties WEEKLY with a Head lineing psyartist act who has made an album u can buy. Im not saying Brizzy will get there but to say that we should just lie down and HAVE LESS PARTYS than there are now for the sake of Quality ??? MADNESS .. We should be striving to Increse the overall quality at out parties while trying to Maintain ifnot increase The amount of parties being had. :stab:

"Yeah, well it used to be like 4-6 parties a year, and *everyone* would goto them, and they were really special... But now theres one every second weekend, and Brisbane's a small town.." Wasnt that the Estimation i gave ??? .... 1 every 2 months = 6 parties. I disagree with the end of that statement anyway , its Semi true. There's almost one every 2nd weekend , i would say 3rd. These parties barely desevered to be mentioned , there little house parties with a 6 k system and Half the night is hard energy ..... NOT TO MENTION that the local dj's who play are Terriable Newbs who have been on a set of cdj's once. I didnt feel the need to mention those ...

"There's Vector, Tits on Fire a fortnight later, then in April there's the Equinox event with Alkaloid productions featuring one of the bigger names in psy at the moment, Rinkadink!!!!!!
IMO there's little room to complain in this dept. living in Brisbane!! Razz" - Yes ive been counting down the days for tits but that just proves my point that we have to go to nsw. Rinkadink one of the biggest names of psy? Hes Not exactly Hunted down by promoter's u know. Im going to see him but im not super excited like i am for Jahbo. Rinkadinks 2004 album was really plain , quite boring. His Debut Promo was Lovely though.

"Did you goto Shmerkaba? Are you going to Vector? " - Nope i didnt make it to shmerkaba But ill be at Vector.

And Franny - Brisbane didnt/dosnt have one because all the smart psyfreaks made the move to nsw or victoria and never looked back :grr:

LONG LIVE OUTDOORS !!!!!! :angry:

Kaneda

Since NYE there have been 2 outdoors, and there are another 4 coming up in the next month or so!

That is between numerous indoor events!

How is that not often enough? I'd say it's too often for the quite small community...

I've tried doing big artists - I got 200 people for Space Tribe Live!

More keen regulars = more sustainable = more parties = more artists being paid = more *quality* parties...

More parties full stop just = broke organisers and unsatisfied punters...

Don't mean to sound down or anything... I'm filled with warm gooey hope - this just seems to be the way it is...

Kaneda

P.S. All the parties I mentioned are of top knotch 'Quality'....

n00dle

Hey id just like to say to all the whingers about no outdoor parties..

Ive been trying to put on an outdoor party and i can tell you it is a CRAPLOAD harder than just whinging on a forum about 'theres no outdoor parties'

I challlenge all you whingers about no parties to go put a crankin' one on yourself, and go see how much effort, time and money go out to finding locations, booking DJ's, finding finances, juggling all of these at once with having a personal life of one's own - THEN come back and whinge about it.

I got into doofing 2 years ago as a big asswipe to the scene, being a whinger, and now after these 2 years of seeing just a -glimpse- of some of the struggles that the organisers go through, i can only say i have HUGE respect to the crews who get out there rain hail sun or snow to make YOUR night enjoyable. I'm talking about people like kaneda, paul abad, dazrae/sezzy/tyson/psykadet crew just go talk to any of these people or anyone they know as an organiser for some sort of event/event decor/etc and you might just LEARN something. :roll:

Pi_Rate

Gun-Slinger wrote :
I new someone would try that shit - "Excellent, when are you putting one on??? Thumb" - IN fact myself and my good friends are doing the best we can at the moment to beginn organizing parties. Equipment is our major problem , we have access to 8k system but we have no subs :cry:

What shit :?:
It was a sincere statement :!:

As in:
Excellent idea
When are you going to do something about it.

Equipment is not a problem, you just need to hire what you don't have.
Money is not a problem, according to you because you can have quantity and quality- all you need is people.
Getting people is not a problem, cos you and your mates must have mates and so on etc.

So the essence is, according to your statements, you and your mates are doing the best you can- but you still can't get a single outdoor event together in Queensland. So what you're really complaining about is that it's too hard for you and few else others try. Admittedly, it's alot harder now-a-days, and that's probably me and my mates fault. Beacause we've been putting on kick-arse outdoor events for over a decade and finding a venue these days is way harder.

The fact is that you probably don't hear about ALL of the outdoor events that take place, because alot of intimate ones still happen that you may not hear about. The idea being that some people who put on parties are sick of 'try hards' and 'no idea-ers' rokkin up, acting like based-up dikwads and/or giving the party some kind of expert critique- "Oooh, I could put on better outdoors parties than this"

My only advice would be-
DO IT or DON'T DO IT.

p.s. If you DON'T DO IT/CAN'T Do IT... it's probably a good idea not to criticise others :wink:

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Gun-Slinger

Sincere statement my ass.U Make Throwing An outdoor sound like something that can be done in a day , Pirate noodle is Right in regards to the challenges one faces especially when ur just getting started.

"Money is not a problem, according to you" - :wtf: I never boasted any such thing. Infact its part of my problems(and everyone elses im sure) :crazy: I understand that challanges faced with booking Live acts (especially seeked after ones) But thats all it is none the less , A CHALLENGE.

"The fact is that you probably don't hear about ALL of the outdoor events that take place, because alot of intimate ones still happen that you may not hear about" -Im perfectly aware there are private outdoors,Theres an "intimate" outdoor almost everyweekend in qld/northern nsw, they have little/nothing to do with My argument because the guest list on those are never very big and they cant support a larger gathering.(location ,system etc)
My argument applies to parties we are all invited to (except the police)

Kaneda that was just space tribe(it was a good gig dont get me wrong)... Someone International or even Something like Sanctum .... ITs going to have alot more than 200(especially since word is getting around on this one).

IN all my bitching i never criticized the ones who are throwing them currently. I thanked them.
:)

franny

Gun-Slinger wrote :
in April there's the Equinox event with Alkaloid

isnt teh equinox in March ?

productions featuring one of the bigger names in psy at the moment, Rinkadink!!!!!!

i thougth rinkadink had been cancelled?

And Franny - Brisbane didnt/dosnt have one because all the smart psyfreaks made the move to nsw or victoria and never looked back :grr:
LONG LIVE OUTDOORS !!!!!! :angry:

i wonder if that comment will echo on 2 years laster for you ? hahah my guess it no!

The reason why i see that Brisbane doesnt have what u want is becuase no one supports stuff consistently... not a crowd anyway... all new party groups seem to have a boom of parties & then rather quickly peopel stop supporting their events.

A psytrance scene is a two way street ... not just a lack of promotors is too blame for the sitch

turbolax

I put forward the very same argument about the percieved (in my mind) dearth of doof in Queensland. That was about 7 months ago before I'd gotten to know a lot of people from both the Qld outfits and the NNSW ones.

Look it's to do with what can be viably supported. Here in Qld as opposed to northern nsw we don't have the reputation for alternative lifestyle/music. You have only to go to events in nsw to appreciate the number of tourists that come to parties because they've heard of the cool scene there. In Qld it's a bit different. I'll ask my friends here if they like psy and they have that blank look like "what is that?". So yes there is a large group of people who would potentially go to doofs here but they just have not heard of it going on.

Ontop of that we have such a large problem with sites becoming unavailable due to influx of non-doofer sea-changers (not limited to us). Nsw has many fewer ppl living this side of the ranges compared to the Gold Coast hinterland, or the Sunshine Coast hinterland. You get the negative stereotype of doof-doof music that pervades the community here too. You know, like "music of the devil" type thing. Police interruptions etc etc. This is Joh country remember.:twisted:

I appreciate the concern you have and I'll admit that if you go to clubs and pubs in Brisbane and you'll see thousands of young people who love their raves and dance music but are really hanging out for that life-changing experience that you get when you go to a big doof. I'm trying my best to get friends out to see for themselves. Just got to contact punters through the smaller events and let them spread the word. More the merrier.

Look I dont mind the quite long drive every weekend at the moment lol.
It's not that far to go for a good time. An outdoor show should be viewed as more than just the hours of stomp that you do. It's the adventure of the travel and camping if necessary. The convenience of being close to home is alluring, I'll grant you, and I don't get that luxury nearly enough. :roll:

Pi_Rate

Gun-Slinger wrote :
Sincere statement my ass.U Make Throwing An outdoor sound like something that can be done in a day , Pirate noodle is Right in regards to the challenges one faces especially when ur just getting started.

Seriously Buddy,

i wish you well and hope it comes together for you.
I'm glad you appreciate the challenges and i didn't say you don't appreciate those who do go to the effort.

I'm just not sure who you mean when you say "promoters are overlooking us up here in brizvegas", it sounds like a criticism that someone isn't doing something :?: I think franny's got it right when he says it's a 2 way street, brisbane needs a more passionate tribe of doofers- not that those who frequent parties aren't passionate, moreso that there aren't enough.

Which is why i think it's fair to say brisbane does have a psy scene, just not a big one (i'm not sure why really, because it's one of the most beautiful places to party) Maybe it's the old "1,2,3,4...Brisbane loves it's hardcore"

Either way it's all the more reason to embrace, support and love what does take place- there's no emergency, it's what it is. Which is why I say, "do it or don't do it"- just don't let it upset you. :thumb: If it gets unbearable, at least it's an easy move to NNSW or Melbourne- if that's where the answer to your dreams are. :wink:

n00dle

In terms of other commercial music, i would like to point out that I don't in the PSY scene, that brisbane is left out - but certainly in the commercial music scene there is a stigma, that well, brisbane sucks or something. After seeing some of my favourite bands doing 'world tours', most of them stopped in australia all over the place, except brisbane/queensland. I think the energy that slinger has is right in terms of commercial music - when it comes to booking internationals or observing tour dates/locations, brisbane is definately left out of the loop. However, the beauty about the psy scene is, that everyone is hiding everywhere - you can easily gather enough local DJ's for a crankin' party in an hour's radius from your house I bet.

Maybe i suggest trying something fairly low key - it is hard to get the attention of 'well known' DJ's because they're busy dealing with thier own parties, but perhaps have a free or $5 donation party - JUST to cover costs of generator fuel and the rig, and advertise for newcomers on the decks to play for free. It's a mutually reciprocal relationship in where the people that come will be supporting new DJ's, and you'll be giving an oppertunity to people on the decks. Trust me- i'm a newcomer to decks and when i got offered to play for free, even for just a half an hour, i nearly crapped my pants in excitement :lol:

Best luck to you (and if you need a DJ and your parties are gonna be in bris, gimme a yell, i'll play psy, heavy or soft, or chillout, for free, and help in setting up etc etc.)

pollyphonic

once again we come full circle :wink:

this debate has been put forward so many times - however, instead of walkig around in circles, it seems to have tangentised, or at least spiral towards some movement ... there are more parties indoors and outdoors now, than a few years ago when I first moved to Brisbane.

Things don't happen overnight, but they do happen. 'One step forwards, two steps backwards'. I love the fact that Brisbane has some parties that aren't predominantly psy trance ... the variety is great.

Its healthier to appreciate what you do have, rather than focus on what you don't have. Then you'll realise just how privileged we really are. Personally, I don't want to go doofing every weekend. Once every few months suits me just fine - and the benefits of going sporadically means a greater impact ... a greater appreciation of what doofing does for me physically and spiritually.

Every state has their own way of putting on doofs - its amazing to see and feel the differences between them. Let's keep that diversity and not make comparisons.

Pi_Rate

Speaking of going full circle...
hi Polly :!:

Hope your travels were adventurous.
Welcome home. :D

mOjO

rollyz wrote :

what a load of fucking shit.
85 posts Page 1 of 4