ReGrowth Festival Cancelled

NSW Forums (Sydney & South Coast). Upcoming Events, Lifts, Scene Discussion & more.
326 posts Page 8 of 14

keirrajade

itchytriggerniggerfingers wrote :
keirrajade wrote :
3 days to go!!
i had a dream the other night that i arrived at dark and it was pissing down rain so i couldn't set up my tent! haha...frustrating..

Sounds like you were having Supercreek / Floodcreation flashbacks :lol:

Fingers crossed the weather will be fine for Raingen, oops I mean Regen :wink:

hahaha nah i think it was from rs6....i didn't get there til about 11pm and as I was attempting to set up a tent whilst drunk (and had never set up a tent before) it started pissing down! *hopes it doesn't happen again* hehe

keirrajade

when will directions be posted?

Bindi

keirrajade wrote :
when will directions be posted?

check the REGEN website :)

see you there! :dance: *there's no tree planting dude*

Darkchild

hi :)

see u all there :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
practice random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty :)

sunsolunar

My friends, REGEN has made the local paper:

(Yesterday's Southern Highlands News)

"Re-Growth Festival brings up four productive years

The Re-Growth '08 Festival is being held during the Easter long weekend beginning on Good Friday and finishing on Easter Sunday at Windellama.

The festival, in its fourth year will include planting native trees, and accompanying this regeneration effort will be over 200 international, national, and local music acts.

For more information visit regen.org.au"

I wonder how they found that out? Are they Australiens lurkers? I think this is going generate a bit of local interest....

As the story doesn't mention the words "dance/rave/doof (if people even know what a doof is), I wonder what the reaction to this will be like... It comes across as bit of a bands music festival. I just find it really interesting that a psychedellic music festival would be in a newspaper, that's all. Bowral's a bit posh, you know, darling.

spangk

..could be a press release c/o the crew :idea:

*tick tock tick*

atmospsypherica

Seems to me they are doing the right thing. I guess with the worlds focus on Climate Change, planting of trees etc is a far better impression of the stereotypical dance rave party doof scene. So the words music festival or be it electronic music festival are more palatable to wider population. Nothing is underground on the internet. So if it was c/o crew then I would say a smart move and a positive move forward. Though nothing is plain sailing and I'm sure they will be faced with a few bumps and hurdles - hopefully not. Just don't mention rain.Oops

Somewhere on here I read a comment about the word psychedelic / psytrance. Peoples reaction to those words. There is a lot in that and maybe it's time for Genre name change :idea:

itchytriggerniggerfingers

atmospsypherica wrote :
Somewhere on here I read a comment about the word psychedelic / psytrance. Peoples reaction to those words. There is a lot in that and maybe it's time for Genre name change :idea:

Agreed. We need something catchy. Something that reflects the type of people that attend these parties, the mood they bring & the drugs they consume.

Without further ado I bring you the future calling card of doofing. I call it Humans Injesting Psychedelics & Pot-smoking Yuppies or HIPPY for short :shock: :arrow: :lol:

simon

havnt you heard, its called "psyche trance" now...

itchytriggerniggerfingers

simon wrote :
havnt you heard, its called "psyche trance" now...

No.... :cry:

:arrow: psyche :lol:

sunsolunar

Actually someone I know (who is a DJ) calls it Psyche Trance. I just thought he was ill informed... :?

I guess I was just worried in regards to Regen being in the paper. I just don't want people complaining or even trying to shut it down/ring the cops.

:gun:

Imagine seeing the cops turn up when you're :crazy:

themagickmushroom

they made ABC radio last year. interviewed me when i was on a ladder stapling decor up. i reckon media exposure has to be good for this type of event, especially in relation to the recent council problems
R.E.G.E.N

:( :( :( :( :( :( :x :( :( :( :( :( :(
We are extremely sorry to have to announce the cancellation of this year’s Regrowth Festival. Goulburn council has at the last minute changed their recommendation for approval of our event due to issues from the police and fire brigade. Both police and fire were contacted before the event by Regen and everything appeared to be all clear, but for some reason this has changed. This has led to council disallowing our DA and we have been left with the terrible decision of having to cancel the event.
There will be an alternative event happening this weekend in Sydney in order to have the chance to hear some of the artists that were playing, including Menog, Zen Mechanics, and Spoonbill, as well as experiencing some of the workshops that were programmed. Full details will be announced later today.
The face value of all tickets bought through greentix will be automaticly refunded within 5 business days per terms and conditions of sale. For other ticket purchase refunds please contact us at info@regen.org.au
We are completely shattered by the news from Goulburn council. We had worked so hard to comply with all their wishes, had spent thousands of extra dollars to meet all their stringent needs and now at the very last minute we are dealt with this. It has become clear that they simply do not want this event to happen and it now appears that one of the most beautiful festival sites in Australia has been lost. All we were doing was trying to put on a positive event for the community, youth and the environment but we have been shot down. 1 year of planning, countless meetings, hours and hours and hours of work in our spare time, lots of money from our own pocket had all been invested in this event. The crew had been at site since Saturday and had put in four 16 hour days of hard work, driven by the passion of what we do, only to be told we have to pull it all down. The site that we had been building for 3 years, and planting trees on for 3 years that we were looking forward to coming back to year after year to keep planting and watching past years trees mature and to keep building our special event seems now to be lost.
The 5000 trees that were ordered specially for the event will still be planted, even if we have to plant every last one of them ourselves.
We ask that everyone come out and support us at the Sydney events this weekend so we can hopefully recover and come back next year bigger, stronger and wiser.
Deepest apologies for all the disappointment this news has caused. We really tried everything within our power to make this year’s event happen. Big thanks to the crews from the other stages, all the artists, healers, workshop presenters, volunteers and the whole community for all your support.
Lots of love,
R.E.G.E.N
Last edited by R.E.G.E.N on Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

psyllium

:wtf: :banghead:

What on earth is the problem with this state where we can't do something good for people.

And don't worry we know you guys have put so much effort for this event... just to be nailed at the last minute.

Thanks heaps for trying, hopefully you'll have better luck next year :).

Our thoughts are with you and we will see you this weekend nonetheless!

k_x

I'm SO angry with Goulburn council right now.

I feel so bloody sorry for you guys and so sad we'll not be planting and frolicking out at that site again. That place spoke your heart.

I don't think I can find any other words so I'll give you all a hug when I see you.

:cry:

To the future hey?

Mel xx

keirrajade

That's really f*cked. I can't believe the council would stuff you guys around, and after you doing all the right things, they still shut it down.

Really sorry to hear about this, I will definately still be up for attending whatever you have on in Sydney, and happy to help in any way I can :)

SYNeR

That sucks majorly :(
So much for all the discussion about parties having to go legit.
When stuff like this happens, it's no wonder why some parties go the illegal route.

It's particularly disappointing when stuff like this happens, especially to mammoth events where lots of time, effort, money and other resources have gone into what is simply more than a 'doof' and aims to benefit the community.

simon

that sucks!

Did they elaborate on the reasons for the police and fire brigade backflip?

Sunrunner

extremely sorry to hear this guys :( you all put in so much love, effort and hard work to make these events happen for all of us and you get so thoroughly screwed over :(

my thoughts are definitely with you all, and thank you for all the effort and countless hours REGEN put in to bring us these events, you deserve better treatment than this by our councils.

dwight.

rollyz

Thats terrible :cry: Yes any reson why the back flip? Any chance of appeal? So bizar, so called authorites want people to do things by the book for safety etc, so crews follow the rules and extra expenses and still get shut down? Is there somewhere we can complain to? or is really just back to the underground?

FRACAS

this is very dissapointing news.....
MANY thanks for your efforts in putting this festival on guys,
that site is truely EPIC , hopefully more can be done to regenerate it in the future. It would be completly :cry: if the site was discontinued for future useage as it is easily one of the best.
Positive thought, and good luck for the future!!

psy*clone

everyone should start sending "please explain" letters to the council, flood their mailboxes!

Twisted Dirty Logic

Can we still come along one weekend and plant trees?

We could all wear our cassette players and pretend it's a doof.

ALEXUP

rollyz wrote :
Thats terrible :cry: Yes any reson why the back flip? Any chance of appeal? So bizar, so called authorites want people to do things by the book for safety etc, so crews follow the rules and extra expenses and still get shut down? Is there somewhere we can complain to? or is really just back to the underground?

There are things REGEN could do in regards to appeal, but with a few days left there is no time, and I am guessing that is how the council wanted it.

I would like to know exactly on what grounds the Fire and Police have "convinced" the council to withdraw a proposal that had already been granted??

Anyway best of luck with the damage control.

Mistress LoveLash

So sorry to hear that we won't be gathering at that gorgeous venue this weekend to celebrate Life, Beauty and BushDancing :cry:

I sooooo was looking forward to being out bush with beautiful beats and peeps. Not to mention attending to our tree-plantings from last year and planting some more!

So sad that all time, efforts and attentions have been thwarted once again, for reasons beyond our comprehension.

The Beastie Boys said it best and maybe someday we all may have to stand up and ... "Fight for your right to PAR-R-R-R-TY!"
326 posts Page 8 of 14