ReGrowth Festival Cancelled

NSW Forums (Sydney & South Coast). Upcoming Events, Lifts, Scene Discussion & more.
326 posts Page 10 of 14

Darkchild

very sad news guys :(

ur time and energy is much appreciated :)

keep up the great spirit and will see u on the w/end :)

big hugs n love :) :love:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
practice random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty :)

Rythmic sun

Full Respect to REGEN for being able to deal with the councils shit. It seems that the environment is not a priority to them and creating awareness in people means nothing.
Hope REGEN is not put off from doing outdoor events. It would be a great loss.

Johnny

keirrajade

venatrix wrote :
keirrajade wrote :
government makes money out of their festivals...alcohol sales, etc..

Wouldn't the money from alcohol sales go to the organisers? I don't know. I mean the tax on the booze would obviously go to the govt, but is that a significant amount? Again, I don't know.

I'm pretty sure they'd make money out of other things as well such as merchandise, profit from the events etc. At the end of each financial year they would want some sort of cut out of the profit made...

iDIV

seems like the authorities are learning to deal with things in a similar way to their american counterparts---> initial approval/indication that approval will be given followed by a backflip hoping that promoters will go broke.

at least they refused before hand rather than like the party in utah a few years ago that was broken up by machine gun wielding, helicopter supported, camouflaged national guards.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxgdzOdaNtM :shock:

Meltdown
Site Admin

Really sorry to hear this news REGEN. You put so much hard work into this event - utmost respect to you guys for all your efforts. You really don't deserve this shit.

herbsandspices wrote :
Not that I know anything about the facts, what council said and when etc, but it sounds like a good case for a supreme court injunction to me.

Was hoping you might chime in.

I can't see why the hell the council would do this. If they didn't want the event to happen why not say so in the fucking first place? It doesn't seem right. Surely there's a way to appeal this sort of thing, obviously not in time for this weekend, but with regards to the TIME and MONEY spent by the promoters after being GIVEN APPROVAL?! I don't know the facts or the legal rights - but it just doesn't sound right at all.

rollyz

Isn't there a segment on the ABC that the public can vent their problems? I'm sure they will air the issue that a Enviromental Friendly Tree Planting Festival got the axe from Goulburn Council.... :wink:

itchytriggerniggerfingers

Sinner wrote :
Man. This blows.

*weep*

*weep*

Postal address:
The General Manager
Locked Bag 22
GOULBURN NSW 2580

Phone: 02 4823 4444 Fax: 02 4823 4456

Email: council@goulburn.nsw.gov.au

Business Hours: Monday - Friday, 8am - 5pm.

After Hours Contact: Duty Officer 02 4822 1080

Guys - don't send abusive messages or letters to the Goulburn Council. There are better avenues to deal with this and it's best not to do it when emotions are running high.

Agreed. If you are going to write a letter to the council, don't just mention the environmental impact that REGEN make a high priority as part of their event, rather point out the loss of money that their local enconomy will suffer as a result of ~500 to 1000 people no longer attending a 3 day festival. It may also help if you know local businesses in the area (or people who run local businesses) and let them know about it. I'm sure if I was a business owner & my local council removed that much potential business over a piece of red tape, I'd be pretty upset with them...

Anyway, I am sooo devo'ed for the REGEN crew, the amount of hardwork, the heart & soul that has been put in to try & make this years festival a success goes beyond wordz. :cry:

tripn

that is absolute bullshit. it really needs to be made clear to all of these councils that if they continually fuck up our parties at the last minute like they have been doing lately then we will not even bother playing by the rules and seeking approval from them in the future.

whether they like it or not we will continue our lifestyle and have our parties. all they are doing is discouraging responsible promoters who want to do things above board and legitimately from putting on events and encouraging more underground and sometimes less well planned and less safe parties to take their place. this is an overall loss for everyone including them.

oh and whats this bullshit of denying the permit with only a few days left till the event. if they dont want the party to happen they should say so right from the beginning rather than waste peoples time and money and to save them the hassle of having to deal with the beaurocratic fictional entity that they are.

herbsandspices

Yeah, it's really sus.

If council did give the approval, and then made extra conditions and they were complied with THEN pulled approval for the event...

And this is said with the big caveat that I have not looked at the documents and am not supplying legal advice blah blah etc...

I would say that REGEN would have an entitlement to approach the Supreme Court Equity Div, for an urgent (matybe even ex-parte) injunction, preventing Council for withdrawing the approval and allowing the event to proceed.

If it's too late for that, it having been cancelled, there are other options to make council re-consiider doing thos sort of thing again, the regen guys know where to find me if they want a chat.

This gets canned yet World Youth Day inconveninces the whole city...

psyllium

Reminds me of 'Seven' this year where the council 'lost' their paperwork at the last minute... turning it into a non-approved event after so much consultation beforehand.

Esoterica2000-III

Wow.. I must say much gratitude to all you who posted here with your heart felt messages. We really appreciate your sentiments. It’s great to know that when push comes to shove a community like ours comes together in times like this and supports each other. As this is not only a slap in the face to Regen, but a big disrespect to the innate freedoms of one’s self, needless to say to our community. If we, the people don’t infuse positivity into our collective environments, then who will?? The governments? The councils?.... yeh rightt.

We will have an alternative venue this weekend for Zen Mechanics and Menog respectively. More info as it comes in. We sincerely thank you for your patience and understanding.
Peace, and much love >!

itchytriggerniggerfingers

Meltdown wrote :
Really sorry to hear this news REGEN. You put so much hard work into this event - utmost respect to you guys for all your efforts. You really don't deserve this shit.

herbsandspices wrote :
Not that I know anything about the facts, what council said and when etc, but it sounds like a good case for a supreme court injunction to me.

I can't see why the hell the council would do this. If they didn't want the event to happen why not say so in the fucking first place? It doesn't seem right. Surely there's a way to appeal this sort of thing, obviously not in time for this weekend, but with regards to the TIME and MONEY spent by the promoters after being GIVEN APPROVAL?! I don't know the facts or the legal rights - but it just doesn't sound right at all.

tripn wrote :
that is absolute bullshit. it really needs to be made clear to all of these councils that if they continually fuck up our parties at the last minute like they have been doing lately then we will not even bother playing by the rules and seeking approval from them in the future.

whether they like it or not we will continue our lifestyle and have our parties. all they are doing is discouraging responsible promoters who want to do things above board and legitimately from putting on events and encouraging more underground and sometimes less well planned and less safe parties to take their place. this is an overall loss for everyone including them.

oh and whats this bullshit of denying the permit with only a few days left till the event. if they dont want the party to happen they should say so right from the beginning rather than waste peoples time and money and to save them the hassle of having to deal with the beaurocratic fictional entity that they are.

I think that for a while it is important to play the game they way they want things done. Jump through the hoops, dot the i's cross the t's. BUT, lets take it to the next level. Get legal advice. Good legal advice. Get a solicitor / barrister, fucking SC whatever it takes - who's area of expertise is in local area laws & events. If it adds $10 or $20 to the ticket price but avoids all this council bullshit, I for one would be willing to pay the extra price. Lets show these cocksuckers that we as a community are not going to be fucked with.

ATREYU

Hear hear.
I second that motion.

We need to set a precedent otherwise we have no rights.

Twisted Dirty Logic

Meltdown wrote :
herbsandspices wrote :

He's right. You should be able to appeal and claim compensation for the time and effort that was put in, especially if they had given approval before hand and then changed their minds so close to the event date.

If you had applied for all this months in advance and have had clearance for at least 2-3 months, you should be able to say that materials and labour organised during that time should be compensated. Especially since they canceled it 3 days before the party.

Send the Goulburn City Council broke! :P

Seriously though, respect to all the organisers, and everyone should remember to appreciate what you have. Everyone who got a chance to appreciate the location, stop and reflect; Wasn't it an excellent place to dance? and everyone who helped plant trees; Wasn't it a great feeling to do something positive, with good people?

Personally I like to imagine that some of the trees we planted last year are growing strong and healthy and the land is better for it.

Thanks again REGEN, you guys did an excellent party last year and I hope that you all recover from this major blow and keep on truckin'

simon

hmm. should we start a legal fee fund?

i would be happy to donate to that

ATREYU

Or start a religion :idea: :?: :shock:

ALEXUP

psyllium wrote :
Reminds me of 'Seven' this year where the council 'lost' their paperwork at the last minute... turning it into a non-approved event after so much consultation beforehand.

That didn't happen at all. But anyway.

psyllium

<snip>
Last edited by psyllium on Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Twisted Dirty Logic

ATREYU wrote :
Or start a religion :idea: :?: :shock:

I love it, Doof, the new religion!
With religious rights, we'd be unstoppable! *Insert crazy laughter*

+ Sunday mass for Doofers would be so excellent. 6am, outdoors, sunrise, dancing and laughter. That's the type of spiritual action I could really get into.

I've often thought that an hour of doofing before work would be excellent! Imagine instead of people going to these gym/fitness classes with blaring dance music (that are so so trendy), we could all go out to a field, boogie anyway we want to, then off to work. :D

benji

Thats fucking retarded... :(

Cucho

i dont understand why it came to this extreme there have been problem free events there in the past.

difference? my guess is last time goa gil played there were noise complaints which made the council more predisposed to look for problems.

i blame goa gil & his male-ego, wank fest of a set that pissed everyone off, including most of the people who paid to see him.

very sorry for the regen crew, they really put everything into what they do~ shown by already coming back & making the most of what has been dealt to them.. amazing, i hope we can all get out & support them this weekend!

herbsandspices

Not the old Goa Gil chestnut.

SubStance

SPEWIN MY FRIENDS!!!!! THAT HURTS!!!!

IT SEEMS WE NEED TO DEAL WITH THINGS A LITTLE MORE LIKE OUR UK BROTHERS IN THE EARLY NINTIES ACID HOUSE DAYS.

FUCK THEM> WE HAVE THE NUMBERS!!!!!

jaimz

This is a real blow for REGEN, and very disheartening. But in terms of everyone's reaction, I think everyone should just slow down. There's a lot of animosity being aimed at authorities and I don't think that's helpful. Everyone's very disappointed and emotional, but it's better to use the emotion to improve ourselves instead of regression.

For one thing, I don't entirely feel we can blame the council for this. REGEN have clearly stated that it's as a result of the police and fire authorities withdrawing their approval for their event. It is only natural that if the police and fire tell the council they don't approve the event then it will be pulled.

From my perspective I don't understand why the police and fire would give their approval and then withdraw it. What reasons did they give? They will tell you if they ask, they are usually fully transparent. It also seems very odd to me that they would give it a green light and then reverse their decision. Did something change after the officially approved it? Was it contingent on other factors?

Personally I think it's very important to make sure that we, as a community, examine this closely so that we can all understand why the event has been cancelled, and what lessons that we can learn so that future events go smoothly.

I really hope that REGEN don't let this slow them down. They have a lot of heart and their events go from strength to strength. Don't let the red tape stop you, REGEN. You might have to play their game, but it doesn't mean you can't win.

jaimz

I might also point out that it's common knowledge that these forums are now monitored by authorities. If they can see us reacting in a mature fashion it certainly can't do us any harm.

I'll be in the garage stuffing molotovs.
326 posts Page 10 of 14