Cults in our community

NSW Forums (Sydney & South Coast). Upcoming Events, Lifts, Scene Discussion & more.
51 posts Page 1 of 3
orientis

So recently we had a party 'presented' by the Raelians, a UFO cult. Think about that for a second.

It doesn't matter what the Raelians believe - they are a cult. Cult is a good word. It means a supposedly religious organisation which uses standard brainwashing and programming techniques in order to extract funds from unwitting morons. Cults are economic parasites upon the human tendency towards the numinous and spiritual. They are mental ticks, growing fat with the blood of your credulity.

Now, our cosy little scene here is populated by a wide diversity of freaks. Seriously, some of you guys are whacked. I fucking love it. The chaos and craziness of a good bush doof is a direct result of the varied personalities at play. There are a lot of people willing to believe in Astrology, or UFOs, or McKenna's Timewave Zero, or whatever the fuck.

These are all concepts I play with some times too. I try not to believe anything, but any idea, no matter how supposedly insane, with a little bit of evidence to back it up, will be entertained by me. I'm willing to listen. I've heard much crazier theories than UFOs making contact with Earth, so by the measure of 'belief systems' the Raelians and I are not so different. Almost every idea they put into practice I have no issue with whatsoever.

Until you get to the specific introduction of cognitive dissonance to a subject in a state of heightened sensuality, creating a push-pull within the human mind which allows the placement of any foreign concept or ideal. This is how the Raelians work. This is how Scientology works. This is how cults work.

"But I'm a Raelian! They didn't brainwash me!" said the brainwashed UFO cult member.
"Scientology is a beneficent organisation and is not dangerous at all" said the member of an organisation directly responsible for murder.

I see Gil, in his self-congratulatory party review, said that the people who turned up did so despite the negative propaganda. I'm sure when they entered the party and saw all the Raelian symbols everywhere, the apparently POSITIVE propaganda, they felt much better.

Ask yourselves, why did the Raelians fund this party? If they're not a dangerous cult, what are they? Are they a business? Rael's collection of very expenive cars could suggest this (and mansions and private helicopters, and and and). Are they a religion? Well.. No, they have no deity nor accepted revelations. Are they actually in contact with aliens? Let's hope so: First off, show us some tech that this advanced alien civilisation has described to you.. You don't have any? Did the aliens give you ANYTHING AT ALL except for a vague assurance of hope and return? No? Didn't think so.

And if you believe in UFOs, free love and the beneficent nature of the Elohim, why do you need to be in a cult? I've got some free love for ya right here.

Of course there was no brainwashing at the party. Wrong environment. That comes later, when people who aren't versed in cult mythos turn up to a fun party, see the symbol everywhere, and associate the SYMBOL OF A CULT with a good time. This party was nothing more than a marketing exercise for a business. That's why the Raelian symbol was everywhere. It's no different to Coke, except Coke makes no secret of the fact they want your money. Are you going to go to the next McDonald's sponsored Gil Paradox party? Perhaps we could have a Heaven's Gate sponsored party with free Sarin gas samples.

Check your heads people. If you're in a cult, good luck to you. Keep your insanity away from my community. If you play at a party funded by a cult: Fuck you. Everyone who participates, helps, plays at a cult-sponsored party has left any dignity and respect behind. Suckers of Satan's cock, each and every one of you.

If you're in a cult or have ties to a cult, name yourselves. If you are a performer in a cult, name yourselves. I will not be coming to any of your parties EVER.

(P.S The usual happy-go-lucky live-and-let-live ethos of the doof scene gets left WAY behind when you're a member of a fucking CULT. CULT CULT CULT.)

P.P.S I see that Gil actually said that if the Church offered them funding, they would happily play for them. Sorry folks, but that just says to me "Hi I am a giant sell-out with absolutely no ethics whatsoever, just give me the money and I'll promote your agenda." Nice going Gil, you chump.

MeowTron

in the end of the day who gives a fuck?

i heard about this and i don't care.
great there's a doof on oh joy! :D

even if a ufo cult funded their party...who cares! they got someone to pay for everything! sick! i wish i had of thought of it!!!!

stroke of genius really....

try not to think to much about what "goes on behind the scenes' man....

it's not all it as it seems! it's just good dose healthy paranoia! :D :D :D

so either stop taking stuff or take more...whatever floats your boat! :D

orientis

Paranoia? Lets state a fact:

Gil stated that the Raelians did not get any money from this party, all they wanted was exposure for their ideas - What does this mean? It means that the Raelian UFO cult is funding parties in order to spread their propaganda, in order to gain new members.

This isn't a matter of paranoia, this is simply what happened. If you don't see why this fact is an incredible problem for the psy scene then you're hopeless anyway. If we start allowing people with an agenda to fund our parties, what will we have next? Would you be happy to attend a Halliburton-sponsored party? What about a Scientologist-sponsored party? What about if the members of the Westboro Baptist Church (the 'God Hates Fags' group) sponsored a party? Is it all ok, simply because they PAID for everything?

Man.. If people are so jaded that they do not care about this issue, the psy scene is already fucking dead. This isn't about the Raelians per se, this is about allowing our scene to be compromised by agendas, propagated through CASH given to performers and organisers who SHOULD FUCKING KNOW BETTER.

Where are your ethics? Where is your integrity? What the fuck happened to you people?

simon

MeowTron wrote :

even if a ufo cult funded their party...who cares! they got someone to pay for everything! sick! i wish i had of thought of it!!!!

if Gunns was going to fund your party would you take the money ?

to the original poster: this issue has been talked about in a 9 page thread.

orientis

Yes it has, but not by me and not enough. I can't believe how complacent everybody is about this. Gil should be publicly censured and this travesty should never occur again. Not only that, but this event should stand in our memories of a cautionary example: What happens when you place cash above all other priorities.

ALEXUP

orientis wrote :
Yes it has, but not by me and not enough. I can't believe how complacent everybody is about this. Gil should be publicly censured and this travesty should never occur again. Not only that, but this event should stand in our memories of a cautionary example: What happens when you place cash above all other priorities.

Ok, fair enough words, I need to ask but, why do you need to go under an alias? If you are so concerned shouldn't you also be honest about who you are instaed of starting new usernames on more than one forum?

And I think that anyone who puts on a party will have an agenda, even if the agenda is to have a good party.

simon

orientis wrote :

i agree with you but jumping up and down does nothing but raise your heartbeat.

Those of us who disagreed with the party simply didnt go. We cannot stop someone from doing a party. All we can do is voice our opinions (which many of us did). I agree with what your saying, source of funds is really important, but you have to realise that there is no way we can stop parties from going ahead. Gil doesnt see the problem with the source of funds - thats ok, people have tried to explain, he disagree's... what more can you do than not going?

obviously 300+ people dont give a fuck... I highly doubt any nefarious things happened there, no profiting, nothing... just a party... a party that i would never attend because i know the pain that parents go through with a lost child and i find the clonaid scam (which is well documented as the raelians source of funds) particularly offensive.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

orientis

This is the nick I use everywhere. I had to re-register at oztrance for some reason, perhaps my account expired. ALEXUP doesn't tell me who you are and frankly I don't care 'who you are'. I could be John Howard saying this and it shouldn't make any difference.

To be honest I try to avoid scene politics, I'm just a punter. Not many people know me and I'd prefer to keep it that way. I'm just here to dance and have a good time. That doesn't mean I turn a blind eye to blatant greed and a complete lack of ethics. I can't find that other thread, where is it?

orientis

I'm not jumping up and down, I'm just yelling. What more can you do but just not go? Are you serious? If anyone organises a protest outside the next one, I'll come along. Perhaps we can tape up some photos of Rael driving one of his many million dollar cars.

There is more you can do than simply not attending. Perhaps discussing the idea in a public forum in order to spread ideas might help.

Gil doesn't see the problem with the source of funds because he has no integrity. Simple.

Nefarious occurrences at the party? Probably not directly. You are aware of the concept of memes? Marketing uses memetic programming quite effectively. You'll find that sources of utter bastardry are well-versed in the use of memes - politicians, totalitarian movements and, of course, cults. The symbol of the Raelians being displayed at a party creates a connection in your brain: Raelian symbol = happy fun times. This alone is reason enough to condemn the party.

I guess I was just wrong about the psy scene. I thought it was a group of mainly socially conscious individuals, aware of themselves and the world around them.

Turns out it's mostly just a bunch of apathetic hippies who'd much rather censure you for 'being negative' than take a righteous stand.

I'm a discordian. If you're still stuck in a positive-negative duality you can go sit under the tree with Newton. Hail Eris.

Ugly Bunyip

So what you are saying is the scene should be exclusive to people that believe the same things that you do?

orientis

So essentially you're a small african rodent?

That's not what I'm saying at all. Take a course in comprehension and get back to me.

paradox

[quote="orientis"]So essentially you're a small african rodent?

so if someone does not agree with you

you are calling them small african rodent :verymad:
Last edited by paradox on Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

simon

orientis wrote :
I'm not jumping up and down, I'm just yelling. What more can you do but just not go? Are you serious? If anyone organises a protest outside the next one, I'll come along. Perhaps we can tape up some photos of Rael driving one of his many million dollar cars.

There is more you can do than simply not attending. Perhaps discussing the idea in a public forum in order to spread ideas might help.

you're kidding me, right? first, I tell you that everything you have said has already been said, that 9 pages worth of shit has been slung, and that the best thing you can do is simply not go (if no one went, they are less likely to do it again, right?). then you tell me that more can be done than not going... and getting on a forum talking about it is your suggestion? but hang on, didnt i just tell you that 9 pages worth of "talking about it" has already happened?

now im off to get a hot dog.
infinafta

orientis wrote :
So recently we had a party 'presented' by the Raelians, a UFO cult. Think about that for a second.

It doesn't matter what the Raelians believe - they are a cult. Cult is a good word. It means a supposedly religious organisation which uses standard brainwashing and programming techniques in order to extract funds from unwitting morons. Cults are economic parasites upon the human tendency towards the numinous and spiritual. They are mental ticks, growing fat with the blood of your credulity.

Now, our cosy little scene here is populated by a wide diversity of freaks. Seriously, some of you guys are whacked. I fucking love it. The chaos and craziness of a good bush doof is a direct result of the varied personalities at play. There are a lot of people willing to believe in Astrology, or UFOs, or McKenna's Timewave Zero, or whatever the fuck.

These are all concepts I play with some times too. I try not to believe anything, but any idea, no matter how supposedly insane, with a little bit of evidence to back it up, will be entertained by me. I'm willing to listen. I've heard much crazier theories than UFOs making contact with Earth, so by the measure of 'belief systems' the Raelians and I are not so different. Almost every idea they put into practice I have no issue with whatsoever.

Until you get to the specific introduction of cognitive dissonance to a subject in a state of heightened sensuality, creating a push-pull within the human mind which allows the placement of any foreign concept or ideal. This is how the Raelians work. This is how Scientology works. This is how cults work.

"But I'm a Raelian! They didn't brainwash me!" said the brainwashed UFO cult member.
"Scientology is a beneficent organisation and is not dangerous at all" said the member of an organisation directly responsible for murder.

I see Gil, in his self-congratulatory party review, said that the people who turned up did so despite the negative propaganda. I'm sure when they entered the party and saw all the Raelian symbols everywhere, the apparently POSITIVE propaganda, they felt much better.

Ask yourselves, why did the Raelians fund this party? If they're not a dangerous cult, what are they? Are they a business? Rael's collection of very expenive cars could suggest this (and mansions and private helicopters, and and and). Are they a religion? Well.. No, they have no deity nor accepted revelations. Are they actually in contact with aliens? Let's hope so: First off, show us some tech that this advanced alien civilisation has described to you.. You don't have any? Did the aliens give you ANYTHING AT ALL except for a vague assurance of hope and return? No? Didn't think so.

And if you believe in UFOs, free love and the beneficent nature of the Elohim, why do you need to be in a cult? I've got some free love for ya right here.

Of course there was no brainwashing at the party. Wrong environment. That comes later, when people who aren't versed in cult mythos turn up to a fun party, see the symbol everywhere, and associate the SYMBOL OF A CULT with a good time. This party was nothing more than a marketing exercise for a business. That's why the Raelian symbol was everywhere. It's no different to Coke, except Coke makes no secret of the fact they want your money. Are you going to go to the next McDonald's sponsored Gil Paradox party? Perhaps we could have a Heaven's Gate sponsored party with free Sarin gas samples.

Check your heads people. If you're in a cult, good luck to you. Keep your insanity away from my community. If you play at a party funded by a cult: Fuck you. Everyone who participates, helps, plays at a cult-sponsored party has left any dignity and respect behind. Suckers of Satan's cock, each and every one of you.

If you're in a cult or have ties to a cult, name yourselves. If you are a performer in a cult, name yourselves. I will not be coming to any of your parties EVER.

(P.S The usual happy-go-lucky live-and-let-live ethos of the doof scene gets left WAY behind when you're a member of a fucking CULT. CULT CULT CULT.)

P.P.S I see that Gil actually said that if the Church offered them funding, they would happily play for them. Sorry folks, but that just says to me "Hi I am a giant sell-out with absolutely no ethics whatsoever, just give me the money and I'll promote your agenda." Nice going Gil, you chump.

Signed.

orientis

He is a small african rodent in the same sense that I am saying the psy scene should be exclusive to people that believe the same things that I do. I'm sorry that wasn't immediately obvious, but then considering your complete lack of understanding regarding the problems with cults sponsoring parties, I'm not sure my communication was the problem.

I've never been banned from here and have only one account. I doubt you know my name, though I know some people you know. I'm just a punter. Think whatever you want about me. I'm so happy you try to cast aspersions on my personality instead of addressing the issues I raise. Thanks for your attendance in this thread, you have been supremely enlightening.

If you can't see the difference between self-directed will (taking drugs) and program-reinforced brainwashing (cults) then you're hardly even sentient. Yes, you make a choice to attend a meeting, what happens after that may be your will or not. The best part of brainwashing is that it is invisble. You can't see the forest when you're a fucking tree.

What do you want Gil? Do you want a scene that simply doesn't giev a shit about where the money comes from? Are you entirely complacent about virulent ideas pervading the scene through cultish imagery? Do you feel no compassion for the parents of children lost to this dangerous cult? Do you condone the molestation of children, of which Rael has been accused?

Or are you just ignoring all of that because they pay for your fucking lasers?

Sell-out. Sell-out. Sell-out.

orientis

Simon, where is that thread? I told you I can't find it.

Anyway, as I said, this issue should not just fall by the wayside. Gil is now planning a second Uforia party. I will keep on talking about it if it keeps on happening.

Enjoy your hot dog, you heathen.

orientis

Infinafta, what?

Ugly Bunyip

Kittens

simon

orientis wrote :
Simon, where is that thread? I told you I can't find it.

the second page, titled "UFORIA". go and read every argument you have talked about again, but written by myself and other people. it got rather heated, with both sides going off the deep end. my argument is exactly the same as yours. source of funds is very important!@!!

Anyway, as I said, this issue should not just fall by the wayside. Gil is now planning a second Uforia party. I will keep on talking about it if it keeps on happening.

as will I.

Enjoy your hot dog, you heathen.

thanks for calling a fellow discordian a heathen. you seem to be getting rather worked up, might i suggest a delicious golden apple?

Apegod

Rodents ??

Kittens ??

WHAT ABOUT THE FUCKING BUNNIES :evil:

orientis

I'm not worked up, this is just how I am. Hot Dogs are forbidden! Heathen!

I've got a hot dog myself, I'll just stick to my forbidden fruit, rather than the ikon of diskord. All Hail Discordia!

Having read that other thread, I'll be conceited enough to say that my post is way better. In fact that other thread should bow down to this one and give it a cookie. Are we arguing? Do I hate you? I can't tell.

paradox

:verymad:
Last edited by paradox on Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MeowTron

simon wrote :
MeowTron wrote :

if Gunns was going to fund your party would you take the money ?

whats gunns eh?

infinafta

orientis wrote :
Infinafta, what?

Just voicing my agreement, what?

You know, I once even shed some tears for this 'scene' that 'lost its way' or some such shit. That was back in 2000. Now I just shake my head and laugh and focus my energy... elsewhere. And there have been a lot of good times between then and now. Needless to say Saturday night at the Abercrombie was not one of them.

But I'm glad you've got the time and patience for this and I agree completely.

infinafta

paradox wrote :
What do you want Gil? Do you want a scene that simply doesn't giev a shit about where the money comes from? Are you entirely complacent about virulent ideas pervading the scene through cultish imagery? Do you feel no compassion for the parents of children lost to this dangerous cult? Do you condone the molestation of children, of which Rael has been accused?

as a parent for 3 kids i can understand the difrence very well

and i think that most of the parents like me whould be more worry about

drugs

as they claimed more life and broke more familys and abuse more childrens

then any other thing u posted

Drugs abused more children than Rael, therefore cults sponsorship is A-OK!

For some reason I had previously assumed you were... less stupid than this.

Oh and LOL at people arguing with fucking MeowTron.

When I get Blackwater to sponsor my parties I tell know1. Thats how its done, fuckos. Only Jesus needs to know.
51 posts Page 1 of 3