Tsunami Mayhem! Can't Believe It!

Current Events, World Discussion, Opinions etc
40 posts Page 1 of 2
suspiria

Tsunami's ring of death
By Philip Cornford, Connie Levett in Bangkok, Anne Davies, Malcolm Brown and agencies

December 27, 2004

A 10-metre-high wall of water set off by a huge earthquake drowned more than 6300 people in six countries, swept away scores of tourists and villagers on Thai islands and left thousands homeless in South-East Asia.

The region was bracing last night for more tidal waves from the after-shock after the underwater quake - at 8.9 on the Richter scale the world's fifth biggest in 100 years - sent a tsunami racing yesterday morning.

Multiple quakes started off the tip of Indonesia's Sumatra island and sent massive waves across the Bay of Bengal and the Andaman Sea, killing an estimated 2200 people in Sri Lanka, almost 2000 in India and hundreds more between the Maldives, Indonesia, Thailand and Malaysia.

Five-metre waves swept up to 100 tourists into the sea on Thailand's most popular tourist island, Phuket, at the resorts of Patong, Karon and Kata. Another 100 tourists on diving holidays on islands off southern Thailand were missing, about 70 of them in the famed Emeral Cave. "We don't know whether they are dead or alive," an official said.

The official death toll in Thailand was 223 last night, with 2000 injured. "Nothing like this has ever happened in our country before," said the Prime Minister, Thaksin Shinawatra, who ordered the evacuation of provinces in the south.

But the worst hit was Sri Lanka, 1600 kilometres to the west of the epicentre - because the tsunami had more time to gather strength before hitting land. The death toll was 2200, with 1 million more affected, about 5 per cent of the population. "I think this is the worst ever natural disaster in Sri Lanka," said the National Disaster Management Centre.

Sri Lanka's President declared a national disaster as thousands fled the coast.

A spokesman for the Sri Lankan military said half the navy's eastern fleet was looking for survivors. The navy said its base at Trincomalee, on the north-eastern coast, was under water.

In southern India the toll was almost 2000, with 1625 killed in the state of Tamil Nadu alone, more than 100 of which were in Chennai. The city's police chief said: "The bodies in the hospital are mostly young women and children."

Four-hundred fishermen were also reported missing.

The death toll in Indonesia was put at 1873, with the province of Aceh, on the north-western tip of Sumatra, bearing the brunt. Entire villages and towns were swept away and thousands were scrambling for higher ground. On the island of Nias, a surfing mecca for Australians off Sumatra's west coast, 75 bodies had been recovered.

An Australian boat captain, Edward Shiels, who was on the coast of Sumatra when the earthquake hit, told Channel Seven last night: "Basically the waters just drained out of the bay."

In Malaysia 29 people were killed, 21 of them in the popular tourist island of Penang.

The number of dead was climbing rapidly last night as reports from remote areas came in.

In the Maldives two-thirds of the capital, Male, was under water. Much of the Maldives, a string of 1192 coral atolls off the south-western coast of India, was inundated. A spokesman for the Maldives Government, Ahmed Shaheed, said: "The damage is considerable. [Male] is only about three feet above sea level and a wave of water four feet high swept over us."

There were no reports of Australian casualties, but Australian diplomatic staff in Thailand, Sri Lanka, Indonesia and India were calling hotels and hospitals in areas where Australians were believed to be staying. A spokesman for the Foreign Affairs Department said its staff in Bangkok, Jakarta, New Delhi and Colombo were taking urgent steps to locate Australians.

A West Australian state MP, John Hyde, on Phuket, told ABC television: "Suddenly the streets are awash and people just running and screaming from the beach. And all the windows are blown in everywhere."

Another Australian, Simon Morse, was in a Phuket pub watching the cricket when it hit. "People were getting swept along still on their motorbikes on their sides. There were cars that had been picked up by the storm surge and they were getting pushed down the road."

It is peak tourist season in Thailand, and the rest of South-East Asia, and the resorts were booked solid for Christmas.

A geophysicist, Julie Martinez, said of the quake: "We've just updated it to 8.9 magnitude [from 8.5]. That makes it the fifth largest earthquake since 1900."

In Aceh panic-stricken people were jolted awake at 6.30am local time. "The ground was shaking for a long time," said a witness, Yayan Zamzani.

Experts said last night the earthquake could have been triggered by a tremor that struck 800 kilometres south of Tasmania on Christmas Eve. A spokesman for Geoscience Australia, Cvetan Sinadinovski, said Australia and Indonesia were connected by the Indo-Australian tectonic plate, and "the release of energy on one side of the plate could cause a release of energy on the other side".

SOURCE: http://smh.com.au/news/World/Tsunamis-r ... 41031.html

fnarky

As i sit listening to the radio the death toll rises past 11,000... A News wire tells me Arugum Bay, a place I visited in 2001, has been wiped off the Sri Lankan coast... And from my work-window Sydney harbour is smooth as a baby's ass!
M~

mash

this is a big disaster....very sad...lot of friends i knoe have been affected in chennai...no contact and no idea yet where they are...sucks...

Esoterica2000-III

It's very sad to hear news like this. I hope all those involved find the
inner strength to heal their fresh wounds.

tract

redmarsdust

Guys this is the time to donate a few dollars and help these poor people out. The death toll alone in now over 77,000 The red Cross is saying it will go well over a 100,000. Those that remain need fresh water and food and medication/vaccination.
Lets actually help out
Please donate something

frenzie

yeah.. a band promotor i know has got together with some bands and door money is going to be given to the appeal, nice to see that people do help those in need!

rollyz

Geee, imagine if that happenned at while we were at Summer Dreaming on Bondi? Lucky nothing happened when that earthquake went off down at Tasmania....

bobret the hobret

COLOMBO (Reuters) - Sri Lankan wildlife officials are stunned -- the worst tsunami in memory has killed around 22,000 people along the Indian Ocean island's coast, but they can't find any dead animals.

Giant waves washed floodwaters up to 2 miles inland at Yala National Park in the ravaged southeast, Sri Lanka's biggest wildlife reserve and home to hundreds of wild elephants and several leopards.

"The strange thing is we haven't recorded any dead animals," H.D. Ratnayake, deputy director of the national Wildlife Department, told Reuters Wednesday.

"No elephants are dead, not even a dead hare or rabbit," he added. "I think animals can sense disaster. They have a sixth sense. They know when things are happening."

At least 40 tourists, including nine Japanese, were drowned.

The tsunami was triggered by an earthquake in the Indian Ocean Sunday, which sent waves up to 15 feet high crashing onto Sri Lanka's southern, eastern and northern seaboard, flooding whole towns and villages, destroying hotels and causing widespread destruction.

karra

ive been practically glued to sky news the past few days watching all this stuff happen..

its just so big, its hard to even imagine the devestation, watching on the tv, is saddening and shocking, but its no comparaison to what they must be feeling and going thru at the moment.

What really shit me tho was when they interviewed some australians that had just returned back, they criticized the australian government for not doing more to evacuate all australians from the area straight after the tsunamis hit. The selfishness of these people just astounds me, most ppl in the affected regions have lost everything, everything they ever worked for, whole families wiped out and all these ppl could think about was why didnt our government spend heaps of money and resources to get these ppl who arent injured out of the regions its not a nessicity, they didnt need to, so they didnt. Sure its a tramatic event, seeing so much death and destruction.. but if i had been in the situation, i would have been volunteering to help out wherever i could not havin a whinge about it, i mean hey we get to come home to a beautiful country, what do they get?

meh
/whinge.

bobret the hobret

i wouldnt say you're whinging karen, you got a valid point there. people are too self centered and have no appreciation... how about them saying "wow, thank fuck im still drawing breath"

the mad kiwi

word up bobret !!

pfft there goes the summer of cricket though !! :roll:

Orphea

karra wrote :
What really shit me tho was when they interviewed some australians that had just returned back, they criticized the australian government for not doing more to evacuate all australians from the area straight after the tsunamis hit. The selfishness of these people just astounds me, most ppl in the affected regions have lost everything, everything they ever worked for, whole families wiped out and all these ppl could think about was why didnt our government spend heaps of money and resources to get these ppl who arent injured out of the regions its not a nessicity, they didnt need to, so they didnt. Sure its a tramatic event, seeing so much death and destruction.. but if i had been in the situation, i would have been volunteering to help out wherever i could not havin a whinge about it, i mean hey we get to come home to a beautiful country, what do they get?

meh
/whinge.

yeah really agree with you...
I felt mostly disgusted at the typical western medial :roll:

gothic raver

karra wrote :

What really shit me tho was when they interviewed some australians that had just returned back, they criticized the australian government for not doing more to evacuate all australians from the area straight after the tsunamis hit. The selfishness of these people just astounds me, most ppl in the affected regions have lost everything, everything they ever worked for, whole families wiped out and all these ppl could think about was why didnt our government spend heaps of money and resources to get these ppl who arent injured out of the regions its not a nessicity, they didnt need to, so they didnt.

meh
/whinge.

Yes, after witnessing, experiencing and then leaving behind such devastation these self-centred "me me me" people should consider themselves fortunate to be alive instead of complaining about the speed of the evacuation. I mean what do they want? Next thing you know they'll be complaining about no inflight movie on the trip home while the world drowns behind them! The least they could do is donate their time and effort with the rescue and relief of the victims, instead these !@#$ couldn't wait to get out as fast they could to their warm and safe homes in their warm and safe countries!

On a sadder note, after celebrating NYE at a doof I've come home to news confirmation that my friend's whole family in the town of Layung Indonesia have been killed. His sister in Singapore is all the family he has left. He will fly out from Melbourne tomorrow to reunite with her and together they will make the journey home to hopefully salvage what's left of their memories. My thoughts and sympathy goes to them and all the other victims and families of this disasters.

Safe journey Petrus, your friends are with you in spirit. We love you!

orbit

hey all,

Very very sad indeed, this event has put me to tears. Ive actually just returned from thailand, fortunately i was north at the time near Chang mai. On that note i still fealt the enormous earthquake, just to bring light on how big this was. Staying at a guesthouse, I heard of the news, along with the outbreak of disease, so thought it might be best to return. Bangkok is a mess, people everywhere now. It leaves me to question why has our mother earth done this to the poorest of countries?

DeLanos

Sorry for saying this but how would it be if the countries hit were sitting on oil fields? Would the USA been there before the tsunami even hit?
Just food for thought, don't want this to be an anty USA thread. I only ask due to not hearing a word from that part of the world.

shpongled

delanos, check out http://portland.indymedia.org/en/2004/12/307042.shtml

i also saw those people complaining about not being shipped home fast enough etc. how fucking selfish. actually its more than selfishness, its complete narcissism. the western world's love for itself at the expense of others.
and apparently more earthquakes soon are likely?

Marsoups

orbit wrote :
It leaves me to question why has our mother earth done this to the poorest of countries?

there is plenty of time out there for the 'wealthy' countries to get hit too. ..

Orphea

shpongled wrote :
delanos, check out http://portland.indymedia.org/en/2004/12/307042.shtml

holy shit, i feel sick

bobret the hobret

i was at the cricket yesterday with a relatively full scg(roughly 36,000 ppl).. i boggled as i sat there thinking how the death tol was about 4-5 times the people there... farkin tradgic.

rollyz

Marsoups wrote :
orbit wrote :
It leaves me to question why has our mother earth done this to the poorest of countries?

there is plenty of time out there for the 'wealthy' countries to get hit too. ..

Chances are it was just a natural cycle in the day of the life of the plannet, and has probably happened thousands of times there before, but humans were not there to record it (or were wiped out before). But if a higher force was to be involved, it gives the chance for more well to do nations to put aside their differences and help their fellow man. It seems to be happening, yet at a scale never scene before.

A interesting point, that may have not yet been realised, and possibly a good point, is that since Sept 11, the world has been so hung up about NY, Osama, etc. Maybe, this incident will make people get over S11, and realise that there is a whole world out there, and full of people that need to live together.

SamuraiJack

Uh. How many have died in Iraq again? A million or something? What? Eh?

Dreamthief

Yeah, but nobody cares. Iraq is last year's news.

SamuraiJack

Dreamthief wrote :
Yeah, but nobody cares. Iraq is last year's news.

Ahhh right! I was wondering about that....probably not going to be any iraqi deformed children benefits either.

Oh well. Who gives a fuck anyway? Damn towelheads are just getting in the way of the oil anyway!

Knife. Gun. Stab. Shoot. EVERYONE.

Orphea

another thing that really pissed me off in the news was how they refered to the bombings, and comparing the two things...
I felt like they were saying 'if the universe can naturally do this stuff, then bombs are ok' ...
For fucks sake!

maybe i read into this wrong, but it got me mad!! :verymad:
40 posts Page 1 of 2