Is Norway Utopia?

Current Events, World Discussion, Opinions etc
13 posts Page 1 of 1
atmospsypherica

This clip was left out of the original movie because it was said to be "unbelievable" and "people wouldn't believe it" because it was too good to be true.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=b5d_1195670526

Just finished watching "Sicko" Michael Moore. Now I know some people think Michael Moore is bias in his reporting on things. But I do suggest that this documentary is viewed with a open mind. Our public health system could be a lot worse . So I'm just praying that it never gets to low depths of what it is in the United States.

So Australia was once known as the Lucky Country. Or is that Norway is that now? or are they just being smart ? This short segment that was in the extra section must be seen.

some interesting comments worth a read here-
http://bravenewfilms.org/blog/19529-mic ... believe-it

Ok it can get pretty cold there -So whats the Doof or Goa party scene there like? maybe the authorities would go out of their way to give you a permit. Could it really be that good?

phoney

They've got the worlds second highest GDP per capita and the highest taxation rates in the world. Then with a population of only 4 million and all those oil & gas exports it's no wonder they can afford good health care.

jaimz

I went to a small Norweigian town about two years ago. I ordered a pizza and a round of beers (for four of us). It cost me $70.

Norway's psytrance scene is almost as big as New Zealand. It's cold, but there's plenty of money to be made there if you like working on offshore oil rigs, or working in fish factories all day, gutting salmon.

tripn

4 million people is really fuck all isnt it. less than the population of sydney. i went to new caledonia last year and found out the population was only 250,000 and they are the second largest exporter of nickel in the world. everyone is well looked after there because the french govt can afford to pay for everyones health care 20 times over with the amount of money they make off the nickel exports.

herbsandspices

And in New Caledonia the weather isn't fucking horrible.

atmospsypherica

http://www.euractiv.com/en/socialeurope ... cle-165874
Marked differences' in holiday leave across EU
Published: Wednesday 25 July 2007 | Updated: Tuesday 31 July 2007

The number of days' leave offered to workers varies widely between member states – with citizens in some countries enjoying up to three and a half weeks' more time off than others, according to a new study.

There are also marked differences in the length of the working week, as well as the number of hours worked, according to new research from the European Foundation for the Improvement of Living and Working Conditions (Eurofound) published on 19 July 2007.

The survey reveals that workers in Sweden enjoy the highest number of days off per year with 42 - a combination of annual leave and national holidays – whereas Estonians receive the lowest, at just 26.

Citizens in the EU-12 work an average of two and a half weeks' more each year than their EU-15 counterparts. Additionally, EU-15 employees enjoy an average of 35.6 days of annual leave and public holidays combined, whereas workers in the EU-12 receive 31.3 (giving an EU-27 average of 33.7).

After Sweden, workers also enjoy generous leave allowances in Germany (40 days), Italy (39), Denmark and Luxembourg (both 38). Joining Estonia at the opposite end of the spectrum are Latvia (27 days), Hungary (28) and Ireland, where workers receive just 29 days of combined leave and holiday – the lowest in the EU-15.

Meanwhile, the average length of the working week for full-time employees also varies, with Latvians working the longest with 42.1 hours, and the French the least with 37.6. The EU average is 39.9.

On an annual basis, the longest hours worked are in Estonia, Latvia, Hungary, Poland and Romania, while the shortest are in France, Sweden, Denmark and Germany. Estonians work an average of 1,872 hours per year – the equivalent of 7.6 working weeks longer than the French, with 1,568.

Finally, employees in the Netherlands and Norway, and working in the healthcare, transport, hotel or catering industries, are most likely required to be 'on call'.

http://www.etui-rehs.org/research/Media ... 007/3-2007
Members of the European Union and other
European countries analyzed here all establish
a legal right to at least 20 days of paid leave
per year, with legal requirement of 25 and
even 30 or more days in some countries.
Australia and New Zealand both require
employers to grant at least 20 paid-leave

(Note-see graph on pdf file for more information to graph)
Table 1: Paid leave and paid public holidays in OECD countries
Country Statutory minimum annual leave ........................ Paid public holidays
Australia - 4 weeks (5 for shift workers) .......................... 7
Austria - 30 calendar days (22 work days); 36 after 6 years................... 13
Belgium - 20 work days..................... 10
Canada - 2 weeks (3 with seniority)..................... 8
Denmark - 30 work days...................... 9
Finland - 4 weeks (5 after 1 year)..................... 9
France - 30 work days...................... 1
Germany - 4 weeks (up to 5 weeks for young workers)...................... 10
Greece - 4 weeks (plus 1 work day after the 2nd and 3rd years)........................... 6
Ireland - 4 weeks............................... 9
Italy - 4 weeks................................... 13
Japan - 10 work days (plus 1 work day after the 2nd – 10th years)........................ 0
Netherlands - 4 weeks ........................... 0
New Zealand - 4 weeks.......................... 7
Norway - 25 work days........................... 2
Portugal - 22 work days (20 in the first year)................................ 13
Spain - 30 calendar days (22 work days).............................. 12
Sweden - 25 work days...................................... 0
Switzerland - 4 weeks (5 for young workers)................................ 0
United Kingdom - 4 weeks................................. 0
United States - 0................................ 0

Seriously I think Australia with it's population being Multicultural we should model ourselves in Social Standards more towards the EU and Europe. We have drifted from our mother land to America. Excuse my French but FUCK AMERICA, I don't know how many Americans I have chatted with on the net all wanting to leave that Country. Nor do I wish Australia to be a standard of life similar to a Asian Country.

infinafta

Interestingly, Norway has compulsory military service and one of the highest gun ownership rates in the world.

Not surprising, considering they have to protect themselves against the rising tide of Satanic Black Metal Terorrists ( \m/ ) and Muslim gang rapists.

Crime in Oslo is now 4 times that of New York. Lets see how long those open prisons last.

tripn

isnt that interesting that the capitol cities of the two biggest welfare states in europe are the most ridden with crime.

infinafta

tripn wrote :
isnt that interesting that the capitol cities of the two biggest welfare states in europe are the most ridden with crime.

Well, to be fair, thats only a recent phenomenon, last 10-15 years of so - its not like it is the native Swedes and Norwegians doing all this crime (other than the Norwegian black metal idiots). These countries grew culturally complacent and naive and were thus socially unprepared to deal with an influx of people from cultures very different from their own.

Prior to the 90s in Western Europe places like Paris or Rome or Barcelona or London had far more crime than Oslo or Malmo.

And Eastern Europe is a whole other kettle of fish altogether. Since the authoritarian Communist governments fell organised crime flourished, because of the power and control vacuum, poor living standards, and thousand of trained security personel and corrupt bearocrats suddenly finding themselves unemployed, yet connected, often with access to resources and weapons.
Places like Montenegro are now practically run by the mafia.
And then there is Albania, a state which would probably collapse without drug, weapons and human smuggling.

Llama

And lets not even mention Kosovo...

phoney

$70 for a pizza and 4 beers is daylight robbery. A crime in itself.

It's no wonder there's so much crime in Oslo, people are probably robbing banks just to do the weekly shopping.

infinafta

Llama wrote :
And lets not even mention Kosovo...

I felt that would have been below the belt. And would have given legitimacy to it as a "country".

tract

Gr33tz to R/\z0r 1911

:m:
13 posts Page 1 of 1