The Obama Deception

Current Events, World Discussion, Opinions etc
147 posts Page 3 of 6
Pure__Ignorance

OK, so I found out that "be the change you want to see in the world" was Ghandi. Here's some more of him:

“There is nothing that wastes the body like worry, and one who has any faith in God should be ashamed to worry about anything whatsoever”

“Nobody can hurt me without my permission.”

“The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.”

“You may never know what results come of your action, but if you do nothing there will be no result”

“What do I think of Western civilisation? I think it would be a very good idea.”

Thanks making me think people. You're all freaking awesome. (that's me, not Ghandi)
bargirl

we are all just puppets in the pantomime. pawns on the chess board.

what a life hey :mrgreen:

http://www.huxley.net/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVpN312hYgU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV_bzEh5bCQ
Pete_Paranoid

ATREYU wrote :
Phoney. You only watched 10 min. Then your comment is invalid. Just like any comments made by any of u who havn't watched it.

Ignoring= Ignorance.

x 2. I am reading the comments posted. A good documentry looks at both sides, and not just one. He is America's first black president (and left handed). Not everyone may have high speed internet, and for many reasons. Did you watch the Gandi video I presented here for you? It explains it very cleary and is around five minutes instead of the over an hour you ask.
How is Kok, will you be doing anything for Remembrance Day (November 11)?

Peace.
Wade Shekinah

Pure__Ignorance wrote :
Conspiracy or not, it's up to the individual to resist. The undecided and the undignified allow the world to be ruled by greed and stupidity... If we let this go on unchecked, then we all go down with the ship regardless...
Then Fling off the chains that the oppressor has used to shackle us!

What each is to do is question everything, especially what one puts in their bodies that is bringing them disease and cancer. AND DO NOT WATCH TELEVISION. And read as many non-fiction books as you can. Anyway, one should use the system, but not be in bondage to it; when you really no longer can stand a job quit, it's an excellent feeling to being sovereign enough to quit your job. Then have a break for awhile, do some deep learning and contemplation.

I question all that the idiot box (which I havn't poison myself with for a long time) and the medical profession, the FDA and society says we should eat or consume. This is why I've been a pure vegetarian for almost 11 years, I don't drink tapwater, I don't smoke or drink alcohol, nor soft-drinks, coffee, coke, lollies, refined sugar or salt, fried foods or any other fast junkfood. I don't eat anything with preservatives or chemical additives, and most of the food I do eat is uncooked and still vibrant with life (I eat God-made living foods, not man-made dead foods). I don't use toothpaste, toxic shampoos or soaps. Neither do I use deodorant. AND I NEVER TAKE PHARMACEUTICALS. My blood is so clean my natural body odor is nice and pleasant. And in taking charge of my own health I haven't had a cold or illness in about 3 years, well I actually cant remember when it was. I choose to live a preventative life. For my body is a sacred living temple of my soul, and to rubbish it and poison it is the height of folly.

The world-system wants us to be sick, and to take their drugs and thus become sicker, and buy more of their 'miracle' drugs ad-nauseam. They want you to be addicted to caffeine (this is very big business), and cigarettes, and alcohol; they want you to watch television, and work 40+ hours a week all your life so you never can think for your self; they want you so preoccupied with entertainments, amusements and saturating yourself with external stimulous, for then you havn't got a moment to question the malignant system, nor delve into any deeper enquiries; they want you to be addicted to fornication and masturbation; they want you to have false idols, and spiritual confusion. They also give you so little funding for university studies that most people don't, because the world-system doesn't want the world to be full of very bright human beings who will rise up against the abomination of their oppression. ALL THE ABOVEMENTIONED THINGS ARE TO KEEP THE POPULOUS DUMB, IGNORANT, RIDDLED WITH VICE AND IN POOR HEALTH, SINFUL AND GODLESS; FOR WE ARE EASILY CONTROLABLE THEN, JUST LIKE AUTOMOTONS; MINDLESS FACELESS MASSES IN THE COLD HARD COGS OF THE MONSTER OF 'PROGRESS' - A UTILITY OF EVIL. How vain; how sad; how sinister.

Now the 'they' that I spoke of are not just human beings seduced with and by wealth and power and hubris and luciferean pride, where a lot are unware that they are servants of the Dark Lord - the Prince of this world - Lucifer who is the Devil & Satan, yet there are many others who know what they are doing.; BUT IT IS THE EVIL SPIRITS - THE DEVILS -THE APOSTATE FALLEN ANGELS OF PERDITION THAT RULE THIS WORLD. And when human beings are entangled and entrenched in the moral and ethical wasteland/bankruptcy mentioned above they are easily governed by these principalities and powers - the rulers of this world of darkness; the epiphanies that arise in their minds are not even their own but thought transferances from the Devil and his Legion.

For all these superimposed abominations that the system saturates us with are all taylored by the Lucifer's empire for one thing: for us to never think, nor beleive, nor hope, or have faith in God - our Sovereign Good; it is to mock God where Lucifer points at the pathetic excuses for human beings and says "Look at these horrible, disgusting little beasts; they are not worthy of dignity; they should be crushed out of existence; and you wanted ME to serve and minister unto them; I will have them adore ME, then I will ruin them..."

The world-system is crafted so all pervasive and all encompassing so as to thwart God's Plan for his children. Satan wants to condemn the world with himself, and he with his billions of evil angels are in full motion to corrupt and damn as many souls as possible, for his time is short, and will not be for much longer.

There is a tremendous spiritual warfare going on; but since these evil spirits are invisible to our corporeal eyes we are easily duped into disregarding the reality of the Angelic Host. However there have been numerous Saints whom God had given them subtle vision to see spirits. Padre Pio said if we could see the evil spirits with our eyes they would darken the light of the sun. There has been many others like St. John Vianny (the Cure of Ars), St. Anthony of the Desert, Blessed Ann Catherine Emmerich, Mary of Agrida, St. John Bosco and many others.

If you think that the abovementioned is superstitious fantasy read "An Exorcist Tells His Story, by Gabriele Amorth", "An Interview With An Exorcist, by Fr. Jose Antonio Fortea", "Evidence of Satan In The Modern World, by Leon Cristiani", and "Hostage To The Devil: the Possession and Exorcism of Five Contemporary American, by Fr. Malachi Martin". And of course the New Testament (Douay Rheims edition). Plus there are many books written by the Saints, and biographies of the Saints that speak of such things.

Finally, brethren, be strengthened in the Lord, and in the might of His power. Put you on the armour of God, that you may be able to stand against the deceits of the Devil.
For our wrestling is not against flesh and blood; but against principalities and powers, against the rulers of the world of this darkness, against the spirits of wickedness in high places.
Therefore take unto you the armour of God, that you maybe able to resist in the evil day, and to stand in all things perfect.
Stand therefore with your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breatplate of justice.
And your feet shod with the preparation of the Gospel of peace:
In all things taking the sheild of faith, wherewith you may be able to extinguish all the fiery darts of the most wicked one.(Ephesians 6:10-16)

However we do need a system, but it should be a system where the whole man is educated in solid truth, morals, and the sciences. Where we live as one race of beings under God; in charity, sharing, co-operation, purity, innocence, intelligence, understanding and wisdom; perfect in faith and morals; as sons & daughters of God - who we truly are...

We each have the moral obligation to live by a good example. "... and unto whomsoever much is given, of him much shall be required: and of him whom they have entrusted much, of him they will demand the more" (Luke 12:48)
Last edited by Wade Shekinah on Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pete_Paranoid

Wade Shekinah wrote :
Obama gave free rights for abortion murder. If you people knew of the statistics of this infanticide you would shudder. Every human being has the right to life. These innocent little human beings are not even safe in their mother's womb. Now even after the abortion term has passed there is a procedure called partial birth abortion, where they insert a tube into the babies head, near the cerebellum, and suck its brains out, then pull the rest of the infant out and discard it; this happens while the baby is alive. Barak Obama passed this under the falsehood of freedom of choice and women's rights. NO ONE HAS THE RIGHT TO KILL AN INNOCENT HUMAN BEING - THOU SHALT NOT KILL; and life starts at the instant of conception. God creates the soul at the instant of conception. ABORTION IS THE MURDER OF INNOCENTS. Abortion clinics otherwise called ABORTUARIES should be bulldozed down and forbidden; and people should stop rutting like toxic beasts in dirty lust, thus preventing these dark circumstances from occuring.

I'm sickened, by such hatred.
Pete_Paranoid

Wade Shekinah wrote :
Pure__Ignorance wrote :
Conspiracy or not, it's up to the individual to resist. The undecided and the undignified allow the world to be ruled by greed and stupidity... If we let this go on unchecked, then we all go down with the ship regardless...
Then Fling off the chains that the oppressor has used to shackle us!

What each is to do is question everything, especially what one puts in their bodies that is bringing them disease and cancer. AND DO NOT WATCH TELEVISION. And read as many non-fiction books as you can. Anyway, one should use the system, but not be in bondage to it; when you really no longer can stand a job quit, it's an excellent feeling to being sovereign enough to quit your job. Then have a break for awhile, do some deep learning and contemplation.

I question all that the idiot box (which I havn't poison myself with for a long time) and the medical profession, the FDA and society says we should eat or consume. This is why I've been a pure vegetarian for almost 11 years, I don't drink tapwater, I don't smoke or drink alcohol, nor soft-drinks, coffee, coke, lollies, refined sugar or salt, fried foods or any other fast junkfood. I don't eat anything with preservatives or chemical additives, and most of the food I do eat is uncooked and still vibrant with life (I eat God-made living foods, not man-made dead foods). I don't use toothpaste, toxic shampoos or soaps. Neither do I use deodorant. AND I NEVER TAKE PHARMACEUTICALS. My blood is so clean my natural body odor is nice and pleasant. And in taking charge of my own health I haven't had a cold or illness in about 3 years, well I actually cant remember when it was. I choose to live a preventative life. For my body is a sacred living temple of my soul, and to rubbish it and poison it is the height of folly.

The world-system wants us to be sick, and to take their drugs and thus become sicker, and buy more of their 'miracle' drugs ad-nauseam. They want you to be addicted to caffeine (this is very big business), and cigarettes, and alcohol; they want you to watch television, and work 40+ hours a week all your life so you never can think for your self; they want you so preoccupied with entertainments, amusements and saturating yourself with external stimulous, for then you havn't got a moment to question the malignant system, nor delve into any deeper enquiries; they want you to be addicted to fornication and masturbation; they want you to have false idols, and spiritual confusion. They also give you so little funding for university studies that most people don't, because the world-system doesn't want the world to be full of very bright human beings who will rise up against the abomination of their oppression. ALL THE ABOVEMENTIONED THINGS ARE TO KEEP THE POPULOUS DUMB, IGNORANT, RIDDLED WITH VICE AND IN POOR HEALTH, SINFUL AND GODLESS; FOR WE ARE EASILY CONTROLABLE THEN, JUST LIKE AUTOMOTONS; MINDLESS FACELESS MASSES IN THE COLD HARD COGS OF THE MONSTER OF 'PROGRESS' - A UTILITY OF EVIL. How vain; how sad; how sinister.

Now the 'they' that I spoke of are not just human beings seduced with and by wealth and power and hubris and luciferean pride, where a lot are unware that they are servants of the Dark Lord - the Prince of this world - Lucifer who is the Devil & Satan, yet there are many others who know what they are doing.; BUT IT IS THE EVIL SPIRITS - THE DEVILS -THE APOSTATE FALLEN ANGELS OF PERDITION THAT RULE THIS WORLD. And when human beings are entangled and entrenched in the moral and ethical wasteland/bankruptcy mentioned above they are easily governed by these principalities and powers - the rulers of this world of darkness; the epiphanies that arise in their minds are not even their own but thought transferances from the Devil and his Legion.

For all these superimposed abominations that the system saturates us with are all taylored by the Lucifer's empire for one thing: for us to never think, nor beleive, nor hope, or have faith in God - our Sovereign Good; it is to mock God where Lucifer points at the pathetic excuses for human beings and says "Look at these horrible, disgusting little beasts; they are not worthy of dignity; they should be crushed out of existence; and you wanted ME to serve and minister unto them; I will have them adore ME, then I will crush them..."

The world-sytem is crafted so all pervasive and all encompassing so as to thwart God's Plan for his children. Satan wants to condemn the world with himself, and he with his billions of evil angels are in full motion to corrupt and damn as many souls as possible, for his time is short, and will not be for much longer.

There is a tremendous spiritual warfare going on; but since these evil spirits are invisible to our corporeal eyes we are easily duped into disregarding the reality of the Angelic Host. However there have been numerous Saints whom God had given them subtle vision to see spirits. Padre Pio said if we could see the evil spirits with our eyes they would darken the light of the sun. There has been many others like St. John Vianny (the Cure of Ars), St. Anthony of the Desert, Blessed Ann Catherine Emmerich, Mary of Agrida, St. John Bosco and many others.

If you think that the abovementioned is superstitious fantasy read "An Exorcist Tells His Story, by Gabriele Amorth", "An Interview With An Exorcist, by Fr. Jose Antonio Fortea", "Evidence of Satan In The Modern World, by Leon Cristiani", and "Hostage To The Devil: the Possession and Exorcism of Five Contemporary American, by Fr. Malachi Martin". And of course the New Testament (Douay Rheims edition). Plus there are many books written by the Saints, and biographies of the Saints that speak of such things.

Finally, brethren, be strengthened in the Lord, and in the might of His power. Put you on the armour of God, that you may be able to stand against the deceits of the Devil.
For our wrestling is not against flesh and blood; but against principalities and powers, against the rulers of the world of this darkness, against the spirits of wickedness in high places.
Therefore take unto you the armour of God, that you maybe able to resist in the evil day, and to stand in all things perfect.
Stand therefore with your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breatplate of justice.
And your feet shod with the preparation of the Gospel of peace:
In all things taking the sheild of faith, wherewith you may be able to extinguish all the fiery darts of the most wicked one.(Ephesians 6:10-16)

However we do need a system, but it should be a system where the whole man is educated in solid truth, morals, and the sciences. Where we live as one race of beings under God; in charity, sharing, co-operation, purity, innocence, intelligence, understanding and wisdom; perfect in faith and morals; as sons & daughters of God - who we truly are...

We each have the moral obligation to live by a good example. "... and unto whomsoever much is given, of him much shall be required: and of him whom they have entrusted much, of him they will demand the more" (Luke 12:48)

Stupid.
FRACAS

Wade Shekinah wrote :
[
What each is to do is question everything, ..............

i question your sanity/ and your motives???
go help some homeless/ elderly people or do something usefull rather than annoying us on the devils :angry: internet ???
Pete_Paranoid

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Crucible

The Crucible
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
For other uses, see The Crucible (disambiguation).
The Crucible by Arthur Miller is a play based on the actual events that, in 1692, led to the Salem Witch Trials, a series of hearings before local magistrates to prosecute over 150 people accused of witchcraft in colonial Massachusetts between February 1692 and May 1693.
The play was written in the early 1950s as a response to McCarthyism,[1] when the US government blacklisted accused communists. Miller himself was to be questioned by the House of Representatives' Committee on Un-American Activities in 1956 and convicted of "contempt of Congress" for failing to identify others present at meetings he had attended.[2] It was first performed at the Martin Beck Theater on Broadway on January 22 1953. The reviews of the first production, which Miller felt was stylized and too cold,[3] were largely hostile, although the New York Times noted "a powerful play [in a] driving performance".[4] Nonetheless, the production won the 1953 "Best Play" Tony Award.[5] A year later a new production succeeded and the play became a classic.[6] Today it is studied in high schools and universities, because of its status as a revolutionary work of theater and for its allegorical relationship to testimony given before the House Committee On Un-American Activities during the 1950s. It is a central work in the canon of American drama.[7]
Contents
[hide]
• 1 Plot summary
o 1.1 Act I
o 1.2 Act II
o 1.3 Act III
o 1.4 Act IV
• 2 Characters
• 3 Minor Characters
• 4 Historical accuracy
• 5 Film adaptations
• 6 References
• 7 External links

Plot summary
Act I
The play begins with Reverend Parris praying over his daughter Betty who lies unconscious in her bed. Through conversations between Parris and his niece Abigail Williams, and between several girls, the audience learns that the girls, including Abigail and Betty, were engaged in occultist activities in a nearby forest. These, apparently, were led by Tituba, Parris's slave from Barbados. On catching them in the act, Parris jumped from a bush, startling them. Betty promptly fainted and has not yet recovered. During this session, Abigail also drank chicken blood in a bid to kill Elizabeth Proctor. She tells the girls that she will murder anyone who utters a word about what happened. The townspeople do not know exactly what the girls were up to, but there are rumors of witchcraft.
John Proctor enters the room in which Betty lies, and Abigail, otherwise alone, tries to seduce him. Proctor, a farmer, had an affair with her a while ago, but now he wants to forget it, and duly rejects her advances.
Reverend John Hale is summoned to look upon Betty and research the incident. He is an expert in occultist phenomena and is eager to put into practice his acquired learning. He questions Abigail, who accuses Tituba of being a witch. Tituba, afraid of being hanged, professes faith in God and accuses Goodwives Good and Osborne of witchcraft. Abigail and Betty, who has by now woken up, claim to have been bewitched and profess their faith in God, too. They sing out a list of people whom they claim to have seen with the Devil.
Act II
Elizabeth questions Proctor to find out if he is late for dinner because of a visit to Salem. She tells him that their servant, Mary Warren, has been there all day. Having previously forbidden Mary from going to Salem, Proctor becomes angry, but Elizabeth explains that the servant has been named an official of the court. Proctor learns that four magistrates have been named to the General Court and that the Deputy Governor of the Province is serving as judge. The court has thus far jailed fourteen people for witchcraft.
Elizabeth tells Proctor that he must go to Salem and reveal that Abigail is a fake. He hesitates and then declares that he cannot prove what she told him because they were alone when they talked. Elizabeth becomes upset because he has not previously mentioned this time alone with Abigail. Proctor believes that she is accusing him of resuming his affair. An argument ensues.
Mary returns. Proctor is furious that she has been in Salem all day, but she advises that she will be gone every day because of her duties as an official of the court. Mary gives Elizabeth a poppet that she made while in court, and tells the couple that thirty-nine people are now in jail, and that Goody Osborne will hang for her failure to confess to witchcraft. Proctor is angry because he believes that the court is condemning people without solid evidence. Mary states that Elizabeth has also been accused, but, as she herself defended her, the court dismissed the accusation.
Elizabeth tells Proctor that Abigail wants to dispose of her. She believes that Abigail will accuse her of witchcraft and then have her executed because she wants to take her place as Proctor's wife. Elizabeth asks Proctor to speak to Abigail and tell her that no chance exists of him marrying her if anything happens to his wife. Elizabeth and Proctor argue once more.
Reverend Hale visits the Proctor house and tells Elizabeth and Proctor that the former has been named in court. Hale questions Proctor about his poor church attendance and asks him to recite the Ten Commandments. When Proctor gets stuck on the tenth, Elizabeth reminds him of the commandment forbidding adultery.[8]
Proctor tells Hale that Abigail has admitted to him that witchcraft was not responsible for the children's ailments. Hale asks Proctor to testify as much in court and then questions Elizabeth to find out if she believes in witches. Giles Corey and Francis Nurse arrive and tell Proctor, Hale and Elizabeth that the court has arrested both of their wives for witchcraft.
Not long after, Ezekiel Cheever and Marshal Herrick turn up with a warrant for Elizabeth's arrest. Cheever discovers the poppet that Mary made for Elizabeth, together with a needle inside it. Cheever tells Proctor and Hale that Abigail has charged Elizabeth with attempted murder. Cheever reports that, after apparently being stabbed with a needle while eating at Parris' house, Abigail accused Elizabeth's spirit of stabbing her.
Mary tells Hale that she made the doll in court that day and stored the needle inside it. She also states that Abigail saw this because she sat next to her. The men still take Elizabeth into custody, and Hale, Corey and Nurse leave.
Proctor tells Mary that she must testify in court against Abigail. Mary replies that she fears doing this because Abigail and the others will turn against her. Proctor discovers that Mary knows about his affair.
Act III
The court questions and accuses Martha Corey of witchcraft. Giles Corey interrupts the court proceedings and declares that Thomas Putnam is "reaching out for land!" He is removed from the courtroom and taken to the vestry room.
Judge Hathorne, Deputy Governor Danforth, Ezekiel Cheever, and Parris enter the vestry room. Corey says that he owns 600 acres (2.4 km2) of land, and a large quantity of timber. Corey also states that the court is holding his wife Martha by mistake. Corey tells Danforth that he had asked Hale why Martha read books, but he never accused her of witchcraft.
Corey and Francis Nurse state that they both have evidence for the court. They have been waiting for three days to present the evidence, but to no avail. Danforth responds that they must file the appropriate paperwork for the court to hear them. Nurse tells Danforth the girls are pretending.
Act IV
Act Four starts with Proctor chained to a jail wall totally isolated from the outside. The authorities send Elizabeth to him, telling her to try to convince Proctor to confess to being a warlock. Proctor gives in to the authorities and the advice of Reverend Hale. Hale is now a broken man who spends all his time with the prisoners, praying with them and hoping to save their lives from their unjust fates. Hale advises prisoners to confess to witchcraft, so that they can live. Proctor confesses to the crime of witchcraft, he then signs the document saying that he is a wizard. But then tears it up when Proctor realizes that Danforth is going to nail the signed confession to the church (which Proctor fears will ruin his name and the names of other Salemites). The play ends with Proctor and Rebecca Nurse (an accused witch) being led to the gallows to hang.
Characters
John Proctor
A hard working farmer, and native of Salem who lives just outside town; he is married to Elizabeth Proctor. Before the play, he has an affair with Abigail Williams, which ultimately leads to his downfall. When the hysteria over witchcraft begins in the village, he attempts to reveal Abigail's lack of innocence, due to the fact that Abigail and Proctor had an affair. All did not go as planned, for when Elizabeth was brought to court as a witness, she lied and stated that her husband was not a lecher, in order to save his name. However, when his wife is accused, he tries to tell the court the truth, but it is too late. He is then accused himself of witchcraft by Mary Warren. He is sentenced to be hanged unless he names other witches and repents; however, Proctor dies rather than lie and bring dishonor to all other convicted "witches" who will not.
Abigail Williams
Williams is Parris' niece. She is 17 years old in the play and during the trials. Abigail was once the maid for the Proctor house, but Elizabeth Proctor fired her after she discovered that Abigail was having an affair with her husband, John Proctor. Abigail and her uncle's slave, Tituba, lead the local girls in love-spell rituals in the Salem forest over a fire. Rumors of witchcraft fly, and Abigail tries to use the town's fear to her advantage. She viciously accuses many of witchcraft, starting first with the outcasts of society and gradually moving up to respected members of the community. Finally, she accuses Elizabeth Proctor, because she believes that John truly loves her and not Elizabeth. Abigail thinks that if Elizabeth is out of the way, she and John can marry. John says in the play that Abigail "hopes to dance with me upon my wife's grave." She is manipulative and dramatic, as well as darkly charismatic. She resists anyone who stands in her way (i.e. Mary Warren, Mrs. Proctor). She later flees Salem during the trials and, "legend has it", becomes a prostitute in Boston.
Reverend John Hale
Hale is a well respected minister reputed to be an expert on witchcraft. Reverend Hale is called in to Salem to examine the witchcraft trials, and Parris's daughter Betty, who has fallen into a mysterious illness after being discovered participating in the suspect rituals. He originally believes that there are witches in Salem and advocates the trials, but later realizes the widespread corruption and abuse of the trials, and struggles to get accused witches to lie and confess, rather than stick to the truth, and die.
Elizabeth Proctor
John Proctor's wife, and a resident of Salem, famous for her quotation: "No matter what happens tonight... I still love you." She is accused of witchcraft, and is only saved from death due to the fact that she is pregnant. Abigail hates her for being Proctor's wife, and for keeping Proctor's heart.
Reverend Samuel Parris
Parris is the poorly respected minister of Salem's church. He is disliked by many Salem residents because of his greedy, dominating nature. The man is more concerned about his reputation than of the well being of his sick daughter, Betty. He is also less concerned about his missing niece, Abigail Williams, and the lives of the dead and condemned on his conscience and more about the money taken. He is related to the history of Salem where in real life his niece and daughter were the first to be accused of witchcraft and he owned the slave, Tituba who was also accused of witchcraft and survived prison.
Deputy Governor Thomas Danforth
Mister Danforth is a pretentious and selfish judge, who is extremely loyal to the rules and regulations of his position. Public opinion and his acute adherence to the law are most important to him. He seems to secretly know that the witch trials in Salem are all a lie yet will not release any of the prisoners because he is afraid of being viewed as weak and having his theocratic reputation undermined. When Proctor knowingly defies his authority by refusing to lie and sign a public confession saying that he is guilty of witchcraft and accusing others, Danforth immediately sentences to hang along with the other prisoners including Rebecca Nurse.
Minor Characters
Giles Corey
Giles is a friend of John Proctor, who is very concerned about his land. He believes Thomas Putnam is trying to take it and other people's land by getting the girls to accuse Giles' wife of witchcraft. Giles gains this information from an anonymous man whom he will not name as he knows the man would be put in prison. He is subjected to peine forte et dure when he refuses to plea "aye or nay" to the charge of witchcraft. The character of Giles Corey is based on a real person. Giles' wife, Martha, is executed because of the witchcraft accusations. It is unusual for persons to refuse to plead, and extremely rare to find reports of persons who have been able to endure this painful form of death in silence. The pressing of Giles Corey is unique in New England. It is similar to the case, in England, of Margaret Clitherow, who, having been arrested on the 10th of March, 1586 for the crime of harboring priests, hearing Mass, and secretly being of the Catholic faith, she refused to plead, since the only witnesses against her would be her own small children and servants, whom she could not bear to involve. Therefore, when arraigned on the 14th of March 1586 she was condemned to the peine forte et dure, to be pressed to death, and this was carried out on Lady Day, 1586, even though it was most likely that she was with child at the time, which should have protected her from execution. She was laid on the ground, a sharp stone beneath her back, hands stretched out and bound between two posts, and a door placed on top of her, which was weighted down, until she was crushed to death. Her last words were "Jesus! Jesus! Jesus! Have mercy on me!" Because she did not plead, her family could not be involved further in any investigation of her actions.
"He were not hanged. He would not answer yes or no to his indictment; for if he denied the charge they'd hang him surely, and auction out his property. So he stand mute, and died Christian under the law. And so his sons will have his farm. It is the law, for he could not be condemned a wizard without he answer the indictment, aye or nay."
From this it is obvious of Giles' reason for holding out so long against so much pain: As long as he did not answer yes or no, his children would be able to keep his estate. Whether this was for his children's sake or for an attempt to spite Thomas Putnam's greedy obsession with buying up land is arguable. The play supports both possibilities.
Thomas Putnam
Thomas Putnam lives in Salem village and owns a bit of land close to Giles Corey, Giles accuses him of trying to steal it, and says Putnam got his daughter to accuse Giles' wife of witchcraft.
Tituba
Tituba is Rev. Parris' slave. Parris seems to have owned and possibly purchased her in Barbados. She cares for the children and prepares a potion for Abigail that will kill Elizabeth Proctor. Additionally, she attempts to raise the spirits of Ann Putnam's dead children. During the first scene of the play, she is turned in by Abigail and responds by claiming that four women in Salem are witches. She is not seen again until the final scene of the play in the jail. It seems that by this point the events have troubled her to the point of hallucinations and hysteria.
Mary Warren
Mary Warren serves as housemaid for the Proctors after Abigail Williams. The play portrays her as a lonely girl who considers herself an "official of the court" at the beginning of the trials. John Proctor abuses her and hits her with a whip. She nearly confesses that she and the other girls were lying about witchcraft until the other girls pretend that she is sending out her spirit upon them in the courtroom. This event, which could have led to her death, propels her to accuse John Proctor of witchcraft and to state that he forced her to lie about herself and the others.
Rebecca Nurse
Rebecca Nurse, wife of Francis Nurse, is highly respected in Salem for her helpful nature. Very firm in her opinions, and willing to make any sacrifice in the cause of truth, she voices her opposition to the idea of witchcraft. Near the end, she is accused of being a witch on the prompting of the Putnams, who are jealous of her good fortune.
Ezekiel Cheever
An astute yet weak character, and his most important appearance is in the Proctor household in which he denounces Elizabeth Proctor for witchcraft, regarding the poppet (doll) which was placed in the Proctor house to make it appear that Elizabeth was practicing witchcraft against Abigail Williams. His reason is clouded by the authority of Salem for whom he works. He used to be friends with John Proctor, but when the accusations started, he quickly turned against his friends and their family who were accused of witchcraft. He tells Danforth that Proctor sometimes plows on Sundays and that Proctor missed church often. He acts as a scribe in Act 2 of The Crucible, and in some interpretations of the play, he hangs Proctor. The character is based on the actual son (with the same name) of Ezekiel Cheever, the famous schoolmaster and author of Accidence: A Short Introduction to the Latin Tongue.[citation needed]
George Herrick
Herrick was the Marshal of Salem and in the play is responsible for bringing the defendants before the court. In some productions the character is named John Willard, a reference to the historical Constable John Willard who came to disbelieve the allegations and refused to make any further arrests. He himself was then arrested, charged with witchcraft and hanged.
Mercy Lewis
Servant to the Putnams. One of the girls caught in the woods with Abigail and Betty by Reverend Parris. Described in the text as being "a fat, sly, merciless girl of eighteen." She and the other girls browbeat Mary Warren into silence about what she saw in the woods (Act 1). She is also one of the girls who testifies in court. Later in Act 3, she and the other girls claim to be under the influence of Mary Warren's spirit, which causes them to see and feel various phenomena.
Historical accuracy
In creating a work for the stage Miller made no attempt to represent the real, historical personalities of his characters: he developed them to meet the needs of the play. Indeed, in most cases the surviving records give no indication upon which he could draw. He fused certain characters into one: for example the judges "Hathorne" and "Danforth" are representative of several judges in the case, and the number of young girls involved was similarly reduced. Abigail's age was increased to allow the plot device of the relationship with Proctor. Most of the historical roles, however, are accurately represented and the judicial sentences pronounced on the characters are as given to the real-life counterparts.[9]
The action of the play takes place only seventy years after the community arrived as settlers from Britain, and the characters would have had retained strong regional dialects from the home country. Miller ignored this, giving all his characters the same colloquialisms, such as "Goody" for good wife, and drawing on the rhythms and speech patterns of the King James Bible to achieve the effect of historical perspective he wanted.[1]
Film adaptations
Main articles: The Crucible (1957 film) and The Crucible (1996 film)
The play was adapted for film twice, by Jean-Paul Sartre as the 1957 film Les Sorcières de Salem and by Miller himself as the 1996 film The Crucible, the latter with a cast including Paul Scofield, Daniel Day-Lewis and Winona Ryder. Miller's adaptation earned him an Academy Award nomination for Best Screenplay based on Previously Produced Material, his only nomination. The play was also adapted by composer Robert Ward into an opera, The Crucible, which was first performed in 1961 and received the Pulitzer Prize.
The play has also been presented several times on stage and television. One notable 1967 TV production starred George C. Scott as John Proctor, Colleen Dewhurst (Scott's wife at the time) as Elizabeth Proctor, and Tuesday Weld as Abigail Williams.

Phantomas

Here's another excellent article i found on Digg.
A slightly different angle, but dealing with the same issues. No conspiracy theory, just facts: Rolling Stone: The Big Takeover
Pete_Paranoid

Phantomas wrote :
Here's another excellent article i found on Digg.
A slightly different angle, but dealing with the same issues. No conspiracy theory, just facts: Rolling Stone: The Big Takeover

:wave:How you going matey?
Here we go again:

So basicly your saying "You and who's army"?

This one!

and/or

I could recite the entire book of Genesis!
Psychonaut

Well I watched stuff on Obama leading up to the election from Jones etc on you tube. So I was aware he was a puppet like most political world leaders. If they don't play the line then they get in a accident and killed or assassinated and in Suddam's case, hung .

If you watched the money masters and appreciated that, then you should find The Obama Deception of interest. The one thing debunker's of this film criticised a lot is the scam that global warming is.

I suggest looking into this website and looking further http://www.green-agenda.com/. This has given me a more balanced view on this topic to what I previously had.

Liked to Doco it rates favorably with the money masters for me. :mrgreen:
Cyberwlf

I discovered this title by chance, and then I laughed. I then told others about it and then laughed some more. I then thought of all the poor crack whores out there who would fall for this propaganda against Obama, then had one more laugh, just for good measure.

Measure someone by their actions, fuck the conspiracies, leaving the tripping to the times your high and get your head back in reality in between.

Also, conspiracies give undeserved credit to people, insinuating greater capacity than people are generally capable of, especially bloody politicians, most who couldn't organise themselves out of a ditch let alone orchestrate a complex plan. One only needs to look at the running of any large organisation, forget a state or country, to see people make an arse out of even attempting to run those.

It is a credit to Alex Jones sense of capitalism (you know, the same shitty system which caused the current global financial issues) that he promptly threw together this piece and got it so you can spend more money filling his pockets with his neatly packaged DVD, which you know, relies on 'the system' he claims to be against, and helps him and it profit. Granted, if Scientology can get away with their mind games and propaganda then its fair that Alex Jones can be allowed to spread his own brand of crack inspired insanity.

Here's the thing, Obama is human, he will fuck up, ALL politicians do, he will make some decisions you detest (..you can please some people all the time but only all people some of the time..), in being human he will probably do some favours to 'contributors' to his campaign...but what government hasn't.

But here's the crux of it... if he does deliver in helping turn America's economy around, if he helps reduce unemployment, gets their troops out of Iraq, and helps people accept people of different race/colour/religion in American society then fucking bring it! Even if he turns out to be a three fingered reptilian with mucus for organs and feeds on cockroaches in the dark alleys of the Whitehouse, if he can actually deliver even part of what i've said it'll still be a damn fine thing to happen!
Galactic Monkey

Cyberwlf wrote :
...Even if he turns out to be a three fingered reptilian with mucus for organs and feeds on cockroaches in the dark alleys of the Whitehouse, if he can actually deliver even part of what i've said it'll still be a damn fine thing to happen!

Ahahahahahaha that made me burst out laughing!!! Good mental imagery there and very good post all up :DDD
Wade Shekinah

Cyberwlf wrote :
... it'll still be a damn fine thing to happen!

Don't you mean a damned fine thing?
ionized

Cyberwlf wrote :
Also, conspiracies give undeserved credit to people, insinuating greater capacity than people are generally capable of, especially bloody politicians, most who couldn't organise themselves out of a ditch let alone orchestrate a complex plan. One only needs to look at the running of any large organisation, forget a state or country, to see people make an arse out of even attempting to run those.

Ah the old 'people are stupid' defence.

Yes, indeed how could there ever be any water held to any of these conspiracy topics when centrelink cant even get my payments right?

Lol.

Cyberwlf wrote :
It is a credit to Alex Jones sense of capitalism (you know, the same shitty system which caused the current global financial issues) that he promptly threw together this piece and got it so you can spend more money filling his pockets with his neatly packaged DVD, which you know, relies on 'the system' he claims to be against, and helps him and it profit. Granted, if Scientology can get away with their mind games and propaganda then its fair that Alex Jones can be allowed to spread his own brand of crack inspired insanity.

Oh Cybes, you silly fucker. If the only thing you have to level against AJ is that he charges for his DVDs you are wrong. The right wing, christian extremist guilty of the most paranoid of claims against the US government actually gives them away and uploads them to google vids himself.

Aside from his more fundamentally messed up beliefs I still consider Infowars to be a highly entertaining site. If your even remotely capable from sorting fact from fiction it can be quite an eye opener. He does interview some amazing people on his show, most of who you would probably write off as being nutjobs due to the mailman fucking up your post once in a while.

Cyberwlf wrote :
Here's the thing, Obama is human, he will fuck up, ALL politicians do, he will make some decisions you detest (..you can please some people all the time but only all people some of the time..), in being human he will probably do some favours to 'contributors' to his campaign...but what government hasn't.

But here's the crux of it... if he does deliver in helping turn America's economy around, if he helps reduce unemployment, gets their troops out of Iraq, and helps people accept people of different race/colour/religion in American society then fucking bring it! Even if he turns out to be a three fingered reptilian with mucus for organs and feeds on cockroaches in the dark alleys of the Whitehouse, if he can actually deliver even part of what i've said it'll still be a damn fine thing to happen!

Well, I reckon Hitler would have done a slap up job on the German economy too if he had actually won the war.

But yeah... Obama. Whatever. I'm sure hes a dodgy cunt like the rest of them. I dont need Alex Jones to tell me that.
Pete_Paranoid

Please know this will hurt me more than it will hurt you.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genesis

Book of Genesis
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from Genesis)
Jump to: navigation, search
"Genesis" redirects here. For other uses, see Genesis (disambiguation).
Genesis (Greek Γένεσις, "birth", "origin") or Breishit (transliterated in several ways, Hebrew: בְּרֵאשִׁית, "in the beginning"[1]) is the first book of the Bible used by Judaism and Christianity, and the first of five books of the Pentateuch or Torah. It contains biblical stories from the creation of the world to the descent of the children of Israel into Egypt, and some of the best-known biblical stories, including Adam and Eve, Cain and Abel, Noah's Ark, the Tower of Babel, and the biblical Patriarchs.
For Jews the theological importance of Genesis centers on the Covenants linking God to his Chosen People and the people to the Promised Land. Christianity has reinterpreted Genesis as the prefiguration of Christian beliefs, notably the Christian view of Christ as the new Adam and the New Testament as the culmination of the covenants.
Structurally, Genesis consists of the "primeval history" (chapters 1-11) and cycles of Patriarchal stories - Abraham, Isaac and Jacob/Israel.[2] The narrative of Joseph stands apart from these. Scholars believe that it reached its final form in the 5th century BC, with a previous history of composition reaching back possibly to the 10th century.
Contents

• 1 Title
• 2 Summary
o 2.1 Primeval history
o 2.2 Abraham
o 2.3 Isaac
o 2.4 Jacob
o 2.5 Joseph
• 3 Structure and composition
o 3.1 Structure
o 3.2 Composition
• 4 Themes
o 4.1 The religion of the Patriarchs
o 4.2 Covenants
• 5 Genesis and subsequent tradition
• 6 See also
• 7 Notes
• 8 Further reading
• 9 External links
o 9.1 Online texts and translations of Genesis

Title

In Hebrew the book is called Breishit, meaning "in the beginning", from the first word of the Hebrew text, in line with the other four books of the Torah. When the Bible was translated into Greek in the 3rd century BC to produce the Septuagint, the name given was Genesis, meaning "birth" or "origin". This was in line with the Septuagint use of subject themes as book names. The Greek title has continued to be used in all subsequent Latin and English versions of the book, and most other languages.

Summary

Rolf Rendtorff's division of Genesis into a primeval history and Patriarchal cycles - Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and Joseph - is followed here for convenience in organising the summary.

Primeval history

"When God[3] began to create heaven and earth, and the earth then was welter and waste and darkness over the deep and God's breath hovering over the waters, God said, 'Let there be light.' and there was light"(Genesis chapter 1:3) [4]; the "firmament" separating "the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament;" dry land and seas and plants and trees which grew fruit with seed; the sun, moon and stars in the firmament; air-breathing sea creatures and birds; and on the sixth day, "the beasts of the earth according to their kinds." "Then God said, Let us make man in our image ... in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them."[5] On the Sabbath, God rests from the task of completing the heavens and the earth: "So God blessed the seventh day and hallowed it, because on it God rested from all his work which he had done in creation."
God forms Adam "from the dust of the ground...and man became a living being."[6] God sets the man in the Garden of Eden and permits him to eat of all the fruit within it, except that of the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil, "for in the day that you eat of it you shall die." God makes "every beast of the field and every bird of the air, ... and whatever the man called each living creature, that was its name ... but for the man there was not found a helper fit for him." God causes the man to sleep, and makes a woman from one of his ribs, and the man awakes and names his companion Woman, "because she was taken out of Man."[7] "And the man and his wife were both naked, and were not ashamed."[8] The serpent tells the woman that she will not die if she eats the fruit of the tree: "When you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God,[9] knowing good and evil." So the woman eats and gives to the man who also eats. "Then the eyes of both were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together and made themselves aprons." God curses the serpent: "upon your belly you shall go, and dust you shall eat all the days of your life;" the woman he punishes with pain in childbirth and with subordination to man: "your desire shall be for your husband, and he shall rule over you;" and the man he punishes with a life of toil: "In the sweat of your face you shall eat bread till you return to the ground." The man names his wife Eve,[10] "because she was the mother of all living". "Behold", says God, "the man has become like one of us, knowing good and evil," and expels the couple from Eden, "lest he put forth his hand and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever." The gate of Eden is sealed by a cherub and a flaming sword "to guard the way to the tree of life."[11]
Adam and Eve have two sons, Cain and Abel, the first a farmer, the second a shepherd. Each bring an offering to God, but God rejects Cain's offering. Cain murders Abel, and God then curses Cain: "When you till the ground, it shall no longer yield to you its strength; you shall be a fugitive and a wanderer on the earth." Cain fears that whoever meets him will kill him, but God places a mark on Cain to protect him, with the promise that "if any slays Cain, vengeance shall be taken on him sevenfold." Cain settles in the land of Nod,[12] "away from the presence of the Lord."[13]
The descendants of Cain are Enoch, Irad, Mehujael, Methushael, and Lamech. Seth is born to replace Abel.[13]
The generations of Adam are described, including Enoch, who "walked with God...[and] was no more, for God took him",[14] Methuselah, and Noah. The antediluvian Patriarchs are notable for their extreme longevity, with Methuselah living 969 years. The list ends with the birth of Noah's sons, from whom all humanity is descended.[15]
God sets the days of man at 120 years.[16] "The Nephilim were on the earth in those days, and also afterward, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of men, and they bore children to them. These were the mighty men that were of old, the men of renown."[17]
Angered by the wickedness of mankind, God selects Noah,[18] "a righteous man, blameless in his generation," and commands him to build an Ark, and to take on it his family and representatives of the animals.[19] God destroys the world with a Flood,[20] and afterwards enters into a covenant with Noah and his descendants, the entire human race, promising never again to destroy mankind in this way.[21]
Noah plants a vineyard, drinks wine, and falls into a drunken sleep. Ham "uncovers his fathers nakedness," and Noah places a curse on Ham's son Canaan, saying that he and all his descendants shall henceforth be slaves to Ham's brothers Shem and Japheth[22]
The seventy generations of the descendants of Noah are named, "and from these the nations spread abroad on the earth after the flood."[23] Men decide to build "a tower with its top in the heavens" in the land of Shinar, "lest we be scattered abroad upon the face of the whole earth." God fears the ambition of mankind: "This is only the beginning of what they will do; and nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them. Come, let us go down, and there confuse their language, that they may not understand one another's speech." And so mankind is scattered over the face of the earth, and the city "was called Babel, because there the Lord confused the language of all the earth."[24][25]
The Generations of Shem brings the biblical genealogy down to the generation of Abraham.[26]

Abraham

Terah leaves Ur of the Chaldees with his son Abram,[27] Abram's wife Sarai, and his nephew Lot, the son of Abram's brother Haran, towards the land of Canaan. They settle in the city of Haran, where Terah dies.[25] God commands Abram, "Go from your country and your kindred and your father's house to the land that I will show you, and I will make of you a great nation, and I will bless you, and make your name great, so that you will be a blessing. I will bless those who bless you, and him who curses you I will curse; and by you all the families of the earth shall bless themselves." So Abram and his people and flocks journey to the land of Canaan, where God appears to Abram and says, "To your descendants I will give this land.[26]
Abram is forced by famine to go into Egypt, where Pharaoh takes possession of his wife, the beautiful Sarai, who Abram has misrepresented as his sister. God strikes the king and his house with plagues, so that he returns Sarai and expels Abram and all his people from Egypt.[26]
Abram returns to Canaan and separates from Lot in order to put an end to disputes about pasturage. He gives Lot the valley of the Jordan River, as far as Sodom, whose people "were wicked, great sinners against the LORD." To Abram God says, "Lift up your eyes, and look ... for all the land which you see I will give to you and to your descendants for ever. I will make your descendants as the dust of the earth; so that if one can count the dust of the earth, your descendants also can be counted. Arise, walk through the length and the breadth of the land, for I will give it to you."[28]
Lot is taken prisoner during a war between the King of Shinar[29] and the King of Sodom and their allies, "four kings against five." Abram rescues Lot and is blessed by Melchizedek, king of Salem (the future Jerusalem) and "priest of God Most High". Abram refuses the King of Sodom's offer of the spoils of victory, saying: "I have sworn to the LORD God Most High, maker of heaven and earth, that I would not take a thread or a sandal-thong or anything that is yours, lest you should say, `I have made Abram rich.'"[30]
God makes a covenant[31] with Abram, promising that Abram's descendants shall be as numerous as the stars in the heavens, that they shall suffer oppression in a foreign land for four hundred years, but that they shall inherit the land "from the river of Egypt to the great river, the river Euphrates."[32]
Sarai, being childless, tells Abram to take his Egyptian handmaiden, Hagar, as wife. Hagar becomes pregnant with Ishmael,[33] and God appears to her to promise that the child will be "a wild donkey of a man, his hand against every man and every man's hand against him," whose descendants "cannot be numbered."[34]
God makes a covenant with Abram: Abram will have a numerous progeny and the possession of the land of Canaan, and Abram's name is changed to "Abraham"[35] and that of Sarai to "Sarah," and circumcision of all males is instituted as an external sign of the covenant. Abraham asks of God that Ishmael "might live in Thy sight," but God replies that Sarah will bear a son, who will be named Isaac,[36] and that it is with Isaac and his descendants that the covenant will be established. "As for Ishmael, I have heard you; behold, I will bless him and make him fruitful and multiply him exceedingly; he shall be the father of twelve princes, and I will make him a great nation. But I will establish my covenant with Isaac."[37]
God appears again to Abraham. Three strangers[38] appear, and Abraham receives them hospitably. God tells him that Sarah will shortly bear a son, and Sarah, overhearing, laughs: "After I have grown old, and my husband is old, shall I have pleasure?"[39] God tells Abraham that he will punish Sodom, "because the outcry against Sodom and Gomorrah is great and their sin is very grave." The strangers depart. Abraham protests that it is not just "to slay the righteous with the wicked," and asks if the whole city can be spared if even ten righteous men are found there. God replies: "For the sake of ten I will not destroy it."[40]
The two[41] messengers are hospitably received by Lot. The men of Sodom surround the house and called to Lot, "Where are the men who came to you tonight? Bring them out to us, so that we may know them." Lot offers his two virgin daughters in place of the messengers, but the men refuse. Lot and his family are led out of Sodom, and Sodom and Gomorrah are destroyed by fire-and-brimstone; but Lot's wife, looking back, is turned to a pillar of salt. Lot's daughters, fearing that they will not find husbands and that Lot's line will die out, make their father drunk and lie with him; their children become the ancestors of the Moabites and Ammonites.[42]
Abraham represents Sarah as his sister before Abimelech,[43] king of Gerar. God visits a curse of barrenness upon Abimelech and his household and warns the king that Sarah is Abraham's wife, not his sister. Abimelech restores Sarah to Abraham, loads them both with gifts and sends them away.[44]

Isaac

Sarah gives birth to Isaac, saying, "God has made laughter for me, everyone who hears will laugh over me." At Sarah's insistence Ishmael and his mother Hagar are driven out into the wilderness. When Ishmael is near dying, an angel speaks to Hagar and promises that God will not forget them but will make of Ishmael a great nation; "Then God opened her eyes, and she saw a well of water; and she went, and filled the skin with water, "... And God was with the lad, and he grew up..." Abraham enters into a covenant with Abimelech, who confirms his right to the well of Beer-sheba.[45]
God tests Abraham by commanding that he sacrifice Issac. Abraham obeys; but, as he is about to lay the knife upon his son, God restrains him, promising him numberless descendants.[46] On the death of Sarah, Abraham purchases Machpelah for a family tomb[47] and sends his servant to Mesopotamia, Nahor's home, to find among his relations a wife for Isaac; and Rebekah, Nahor's granddaughter, is chosen.[48] Other children are born to Abraham by another wife, Keturah, among whose descendants are the Midianites; and he dies in a prosperous old age and is buried in his tomb at Hebron.[49]
[edit] Jacob
Isaac's wife Rebekah is barren, but Isaac prays to God, and she gives birth to the twins Esau,[50] and Jacob.[51]
Isaac represents Rebekah as his sister before Abimelech, king of Gerar. Abimelech learns of the deception and is angered. Isaac is fortunate in all his undertakings in that country. His prosperity excites the jealousy of Abimelech, who sends him away; but the king sees that Isaac is blessed by God and makes a covenant with him at the well of Beer-sheba.[52]
Jacob deceives his father Isaac and obtains the blessing of prosperity[53] which should have been Esau's. Fearing Esau's anger he flees to Haran, the home of his mother's brother Laban.[54] Isaac, prohibiting Jacob from marrying a Canaanite woman, tells him to go and marry one of Laban's daughters. On the way, Jacob falls asleep on a stone and dreams of a ladder stretching from Heaven to Earth and thronged with angels, and God promises him prosperity and many descendants; and when he awakes Jacob sets the stone as a pillar[55] and names the place Bethel.[56]
Jacob hires himself to Laban on condition that, after having served for seven years as a herdsman, he shall marry the younger daughter, Rachel, with whom he is in love. At the end of this period Laban gives him the elder daughter, Leah, explaining that it is the custom to marry the elder before the younger. Jacob does get to marry Rachel at the same time, but to be allowed to leave with her he must serve another seven years. During the next seven years, he has sons by his two wives and their two handmaidens, the ancestors of the tribes of Israel. Jacob then works another seven years, deceiving Laban to increase his flocks at his uncle's expense, and gains great wealth in sheep, goats, camels, donkeys and slave-girls.
Jacob flees with his family and flocks from Laban; Laban pursues and catches him, but God warns Laban not to harm Jacob, and they are reconciled.[57] On approaching his home he is in fear of Esau, to whom he sends presents under the care of his servants, and then sends his wives and children away. "And Jacob was left alone; and a man wrestled with him until the breaking of the day."[58] Neither Jacob nor the stranger can prevail, but the man touches Jacob's thigh[59] and pleads to be released before daybreak, but Jacob refuses to release the being until he agrees to give a blessing; the stranger then announces to Jacob that he shall bear the name "Israel", "for you have striven with God and with men, and have prevailed."[60] and is freed. "The sun rose upon him as he passed Penuel,[61] limping because of his thigh."[62]
The meeting with Esau proves friendly, and the brothers are reconciled: "to see your face is like seeing the face of God," is Jacob's greeting. The brothers part, and Jacob settles near the city of Shechem.[63] Jacob's daughter Dinah goes out, and "Shechem the son of Hamor the Hivite, the prince of the land, saw her, he seized her and lay with her and humbled her".[64] Shechem asks Jacob for Dinah's hand in marriage, but the sons of Jacob deceive the men of Shechem and slaughter them and take captive their wives and children and loot the city. Jacob is angered that his sons have brought upon him the enmity of the Canaanites, but his sons say, "Should he treat our sister as a harlot?"[65]
Jacob goes up to Bethel; there "God said to him, Your name is Jacob; no longer shall your name be called Jacob, but Israel shall be your name. So his name was called Israel"; and Jacob sets up a stone pillar at the place and names it Bethel. He goes up to his father Isaac at Hebron, and there Isaac dies and is buried.[66]

Joseph

Jacob makes a coat of many colours[67] for his favourite son, Joseph. Jacob's son Judah takes a Canaanite wife and has two sons, Er and Onan; Er dies, and his widow Tamar, disguised as a prostitute, tricks Judah into having a child by her (Onan, who should have fathered the child, refused). She gives birth to twins, the elder of whom is Pharez, ancestor of the future royal house of David. Joseph's jealous brothers sell him to some Ishmaelites and show Jacob the coat, dipped in goat's blood, as proof that Joseph is dead. Meanwhile the Midianites[68] sell Joseph to Potiphar, the captain of Pharaoh's guard,[69] but Potiphar's wife, unable to seduce Joseph, accuses him falsely, and he is cast into prison.[70] Here he correctly interprets the dreams of two of his fellow prisoners, the king's butler and baker.[71] Joseph next interprets the dream of Pharaoh, of seven fat cattle and seven lean cattle, as meaning seven years of plenty followed by seven years of famine, and advises Pharaoh to store grain during the good years. He is appointed second in the kingdom, and, in the ensuing famine, "all the earth came to Egypt to Joseph to buy grain, because the famine was severe over all the earth."[72]
Jacob sends his sons to Egypt to buy grain. The brothers appear before Joseph, who recognizes them but does not reveal himself. After having proved them on this and on a second journey, and they having shown themselves so fearful and penitent that Judah even offers himself as a slave, Joseph reveals his identity, forgives his brothers the wrong they did him, and he promises to settle in Egypt both them and his father[73] Jacob brings his whole family to Egypt, where Pharaoh assigns to them the land of Goshen.[74] Jacob receives Joseph's sons Ephraim and Manasseh among his own sons,[75] then calls his sons to his bedside and reveals their future to them.[76] Jacob dies and is interred in the family tomb at Machpelah (Hebron). Joseph lives to see his great-grandchildren, and on his death-bed he exhorts his brethren, if God should remember them and lead them out of the country, to take his bones with them. The book ends with Joseph's remains being "put in a coffin in Egypt."[77]

Something sounds fucking similar!
beatpyramid

is this thread still raging?
:killah:
jaimz

ionized wrote :
Well, I reckon Hitler would have done a slap up job on the German economy too if he had actually won the war.

Godwin's Law! You lose at the internet.
SpeakaHuggers

i herd obama spin's electro
traveller

^^^

80s sitcom audience:
"oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo"
jaimz

SpeakaHuggers wrote :
i herd obama spin's electro

Hey, look, that's overstepping the mark, ok? Sure, comparisons to Nazis is fine, implications in hidden conspiracies, purely par for the course. But to imply that Obama spins a genre that's not even in fashion any more, come on. That's below the belt.
Pete_Paranoid

boondocksaint

Atreyu I'm afraid you are very mistaken about universities and the independence of academics from 'the system'. Academic publishing houses are driven by profit - if, as an academic, what you write will be of interest to academic readers, it will be of interest to academic publishers. So any wild conspiracies that an academic might be able to justify would in fact be most quickly snapped up by the publishers. The problem is that academic standards of argument spare little room for reptilian Illuminati and the like. And this is the reason none of this can be found in the universities or in academic journals. Because it's largely bollocks!
ATREYU

boondocksaint wrote :
Atreyu I'm afraid you are very mistaken about universities and the independence of academics from 'the system'. Academic publishing houses are driven by profit - if, as an academic, what you write will be of interest to academic readers, it will be of interest to academic publishers. So any wild conspiracies that an academic might be able to justify would in fact be most quickly snapped up by the publishers. The problem is that academic standards of argument spare little room for reptilian Illuminati and the like. And this is the reason none of this can be found in the universities or in academic journals. Because it's largely bollocks!

Wtf are you talkin about?

I have never alluded to "reptilian" anything. Many of u supposed educated people lump all this "conspiracy" theory/fact into, the "reptilian"bubble to make yourself feel better about being close minded retards. Don't try to drag me into it.

"Academic".? Do you really think that respected institutionalised "academics" want to risk their hard earned respectable status by exposing the powers that have moulded their own education/mindset. The very powers that have created the "societies" that run the education system, the very powers that have granted them their revered status. They owe everything to this system, their thoughts have been groomed by it, and thus most (like yourself) trust that they have been taught the whole truth.

Get real man. History is written by the victors.

+ if a "academic" decides to publish something that challenges the mainstream, then often they are shunned by the rest of their community and thus become outcasts and risk losing their respectability/credibility in these "academic" circles.
ATREYU

Getting back to topic:

As far as Obama goes, everyone needs to look past the smile and nice words and see:
a) who are the "financiers"
b) who are his cabinet/advisors
c) who are his educators/mentors (e.g Henry Kissinger)
These are the people that control the game.

Obama is just a CEO of the corporation known as "The United States of America". + Just like any other CEO of any major company, he is not elected, he is APPOINTED.

Democracy is BS.

"Do you want the Puppet on the right, or the Puppet on the left?"
147 posts Page 3 of 6