Lads and Lad behaviour @ Doofs ~ What to do?

Current Events, World Discussion, Opinions etc
32 posts Page 1 of 2
Pete_Paranoid

From one kind of rubbish to another!

Pro-rape Facebook group condemned

A pro-rape group, started by past and present Sydney University students on Facebook, has been condemned as "sickening".

The New South Wales Minister for Women, Linda Burney, says the male students - reportedly mostly from the all-male St Paul's College at Sydney University - set up a pro-rape page on the social networking site.

Ms Burney says that while the group has since been shut down, Sydney University needs to look into the matter.

"The idea that a group of young men that are going to become leaders within our community - leaders in the law, leaders in medicine, leaders in business - studying at an elite college, at an elite university, think it's OK to post information like this encouraging rape on a website is absolutely abhorrent," she said.

"There's a real message in this story that these attitudes do exist and they exist in places you would not expect them.

"I'm sure that the families are horrified that their sons would have these sorts of attitudes."

The warden of St Paul's College, the Reverend Dr Ivan Head, says he only learned about the site late last week.

He says he has since spoken to several students and has condemned any incitement to rape, and that steps have been taken to express disapproval.

"We would condemn utterly any matters that derogated from the value of women, " he said.

Dr Head says at this stage no disciplinary action has been taken against any students.

The National Union of Students women's officer, Kaitlin Ferris, says the site shows the need for immediate action to change attitudes to women.

She says the reports are extremely disturbing and that if universities and colleges cannot guarantee the safety of their students, they should not be allowed to operate.

A spokesman for Sydney University says St Paul's college is a separate entity.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/11/09/2736793.htm

Time and time again I see stories like this in the media, yet nothing changes.

Now Lads are starting to attend Doofs in the NNSW. I have heards stories that they king hit dancers on the dance floor, stealing equipment, break into cars and then roll them down hills and carry guns.
I have personally witnessed them leaving their mess behind, intimidating male and female audience, vandalising party decor (private property).
They are on methamphetamine "Ice" so they are extremely dangerous!
At first I thought it was a fad, but it looks like they're here to stay.
Of course the police, your friends and family are there to support you, but it does illustrate the fact to think for yourself and only go to places where you feel capable.
If you are attacked I strongly urge you to make a complaint with the local police after seeking medical attention first.
Non-emergencies call the police, (on 131444 NSW) the phone number of the local police area command can be found via their website (http: www dot police dot "your state" dot gov dot au) or call crime stoppers 1800 333 000 and make a complaint anonymously.
Enter at your own risk!

NunyaB

hey Pete. Interesting post.

Most doofs are not legal. That's why lads go there knowing they can more likely get away doing this sort of behavior.

Then if something does happen like this a a illegal party early in the night . The person goes to the cops. Who is going to cop it ......the promoter. By the law, The police must close the party down. There for it's a catch 22 situation for the victom.

Lads come to these forums and find out about the parties.
psywise

My first thought was that the facebook group was started for lulz. Are private university students really a problem over there? I'd of thought it'd be a different demographic.
NunyaB

psywise wrote :
My first thought was that the facebook group was started for lulz. Are private university students really a problem over there? I'd of thought it'd be a different demographic.

was whoza started for lulz?
Pete_Paranoid

NunyaB wrote :

Most doofs are not legal. That's why lads go there knowing they can more likely get away doing this sort of behavior.

Then if something does happen like this a a illegal party early in the night . The person goes to the cops. Who is going to cop it ......the promoter. By the law, The police must close the party down. There for it's a catch 22 situation for the victom.

Next time a Lad threatens me I'll switch off the generator!
itchytriggerniggerfingers

Pete_Paranoid wrote :

And then connect it up to their nuts & turn it back on???
NunyaB

Pete_Paranoid wrote :
NunyaB wrote :

you won't be hard to find wearing this then.

Pete_Paranoid

Is your allegations true, nunyaB?

I have been involved with two major cases where a young person has died gaining national media attention. In both cases, the police acted very professionally and focused on the case rather than any extracurricular activities (one could say to a fault, as I'm still waiting for some items to be returned taken as evidence).

Even when I was charged with high range drink driving in an incident that happened over five years ago, after making a statement, we both went out the back for a cigarette!

What proof do you have to back up your accusations against the Australian Police Force?
nat

huh? What does St Pauls College have to do with the doofs?
Pete_Paranoid

nat wrote :
huh? What does St Pauls College have to do with the doofs?

The thread is about "Lads and Lad behaviour @ Doofs", and I was using what happened at St Pauls to describe what Lad behaviour is to those who can't understand!
phoney

Students at St Pauls arent lads. They're privileged eastern sububs/north shore jocks that you'd never, ever, see at a doof. Different kettle of fish.
nat

phoney wrote :
Students at St Pauls arent lads. They're privileged eastern sububs/north shore jocks that you'd never, ever, see at a doof. Different kettle of fish.

lol agree with them being lads but your completely wrong about them being eastern suburbs/north shore jocks. Sporting types yes, but they more likely to come from the country.
bosun

Last edited by bosun on Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nat

bosun wrote :
theres a difference between coming from the country (I grew up on a farm and ride a horse into town to get to school every day) and coming from the country (i have been raised in private boarding schools and only see my parents for 6 weeks a year in the summer holidays)...

Coming from the country - living at the boarding house while attending Sydney Uni. Only reason I know what types live there is I use to know someone who worked in the kitchen there. The boys there have it pretty good - feed 3 meals a day, the school has lots of traditions including having to wear a shirt, tie and one of those graduation like cloaks to dinner every night, they're expected to participate in sport at least twice a week, their rooms are cleaned for them, a few lecturers and tutors also live there so if they need help with any of their studies theres always someone around to do that... not bad considering private rent just down the road in Newtown is a lot more than what the state government gives them as an allowance so they can have the opportunity to live in Sydney and attend uni...
Pete_Paranoid

phoney, the REGEN that questions its own actions is the REGEN I want to be involved with! The REGEN that takes responsibility for the actions of the world is the REGEN I am proud of!
bosun

Last edited by bosun on Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the mad kiwi

laddish behaviour like what pete paranoid brought up is worrying .

my thoughts would be to just go and tell the organiser of the party firstly that's there's bad behaviour going on ........ or if your confident enough confront them yourself ??

guns huh , can anyone confirm this its sound a little embalished to me ?
Pete_Paranoid

the mad kiwi wrote :
laddish behaviour like what pete paranoid brought up is worrying .

my thoughts would be to just go and tell the organiser of the party firstly that's there's bad behaviour going on ........ or if your confident enough confront them yourself ??

guns huh , can anyone confirm this its sound a little embalished to me ?

I heard a few different stories of guns from a few different people.
It's farmland, guns are more popular there.
You are aware and heard on the news there are country/city crims that carry guns?

How many times in the one thread must I sit here and repeat myself?
kidsonwiz

I've been noticing them more and more over the past few years. They will usually stay in their little group and just pick on people if they are alone. If you worried about it, don't make the dumb decision to walk to your car on your own. Make sure you have mates around. They aren't going to pick on people in front of a dance floor full of people that have an eye on them.
That being said, if you notice people starting trouble. Do what i do, talk to people about it. Talk to the person next to you, tell them that your feeling threatened and more than likely they will keep their eyes open aswell. The organisers are also there to help people, its their party. So they will usually do whatever it takes to make sure it doesnt end in tears.
Pete_Paranoid

Distress radiobeacon/EPIRB http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distress_radiobeacon

Along with my fire extinguisher, and my workplace first aid kit, I'm currently looking at adding this to my OH&S equipment. So if I go bush walking and get lost, or there's a bushfire, or in the worst instance a *warzone* breaks out, I'll be pushing the button like there's no tomorrow!

When some puts a gun in your face, there is only one thing to do!

GET. BIGGER. GUNS.
itchytriggerniggerfingers

EPIRB (& bigger guns FTW :killah: )
phoney

kidsonwiz wrote :
I've been noticing them more and more over the past few years. They will usually stay in their little group and just pick on people if they are alone. If you worried about it, don't make the dumb decision to walk to your car on your own. Make sure you have mates around. They aren't going to pick on people in front of a dance floor full of people that have an eye on them.
That being said, if you notice people starting trouble. Do what i do, talk to people about it. Talk to the person next to you, tell them that your feeling threatened and more than likely they will keep their eyes open aswell. The organisers are also there to help people, its their party. So they will usually do whatever it takes to make sure it doesnt end in tears.

This is why parties need security, and why I rarely bother going to half arsed parties with no security, first aid, toilets etc etc...
SamuraiJack

Punch them in the fucking head. Beat them to death with sticks.

Then roast and consume their flesh over an open fire.

Then again, security. lol.

Way to advetise to the right markets guys. No seriously, way to fucking go.
hillbillyfarmboy

SamuraiJack wrote :
Punch them in the fucking head. Beat them to death with sticks.

Then roast and consume their flesh over an open fire.

Then again, security. lol.

Security adds more cost and dramas for organisers IMO.

How about just stop the music when it's made known to the organiser that there are lads being lad at the event.

I'm sure 5-10 Lads will piss off pretty quick when confronted by 100+ doofers that want the music back on, the lads will prolly also think twice to showing upto events if they get chased off a couple times.

Or i do like the roasting flesh idea too
LenOxygenY

Lad: An australian youth subculture centred around individuals who hang out in gangs, engage in petty theft, pick fights, vandalise property and use foul language which generally involves a great deal of pig latin. Hence the terms "adlay" and "eshays". Lads generally wear white caps tilted up at the front to show the front part of their hair which is often gelled. The strap of the cap is done up tight at the back and the possibility of a rats tails or other such hair style dangling out the back is common. They can be seen wearing white polo shirts, or polo shirts of other colours with short shorts (striped parachute/tracksuit pants in winter) and trainers. They sport brands such as Nautica, Saucony, Nike and Everlast and in addition to this wear ridiculously small bags usually scrawled with graffiti. 'Lads' are now commonplace is many areas of Sydney including but not limited to the inner west, outer west, north west, south and south-west. 'Lads' can be found in most high schools throughout the Sydney metropolitan area, they have a gang mentality which enables them to gain physical superiority over other groups and subcultures and are disliked by the general population. They can often be seen hanging around train stations and shopping centres or just roaming the streets in search of trouble. Lads are generally into rave music and in particular hardstyles such as gabber. They also engage in tagging as graffiti is a large part of the subculture. ~ urbandictionary.com

Okay, this is what has gotten me worried, when did Lads become capable of affording/being able to use a computer, we all know lads do not have the IQ to even spell MAC, so they must be using window's.

:idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:
I guess they are capable of stealing a computer, so there goes my theory.
Ok, here is my solution, I remember watching this Road Runner cartoon as a kid were the Coyote would put some bird seed on the road, the bird seed was usually big enough to keep the Roadrunner busy until a Vehicle would come and get close to flattening the Roadrunner, the Roadrunner would normally survive the ordeal via his speed or wit.
Ok now let's think about this logically, if we where to get a pile of Ice, put an ACME "free ice here sign" in the top and put it on a main road, the lad's will smell it out, thus leaving the doof, they will feast into the ice and being the idiots that they are will get flattened by a speeding vehicle, preferably a drunk driver or an elderly person, therefore hitting 2 birds with 1 stone.

Feel free to think of more idea's to dispose of the Lads.
32 posts Page 1 of 2