Total Solar Eclipse Festival 2010... Easter Island.

Current Events, World Discussion, Opinions etc
3 posts Page 1 of 1
Nightmosphere

Now I am sure this will be an amazing party/event with an amazing vibe.... no doubt about that.

But.... I just cant help but feel it is unbelievably disrespectful and potentially damaging to the fragile environment on Easter Island.

There was alot of talk about it amongst a group I was camping next to at Rainbow Serpent.... I couldnt help but blurt out something along these lines,

"So people are going to go to Easter Island, set up a camp, smash the eco-system with their waste and stomping therefore rendering the whole site fucked for the next 10 years at least, just to have an event celebrating a Solar Eclipse........... Does anyone else here think thats kinda fucked up?"

The response was mixed..... surely it will be an amazing party, but personally I couldnt go there for that reason and not have a shadow of guilt hanging over my head the whole time.

Does anyone else feel my vibe?

Sorry if there is already a thread on the event... couldnt see one.
Marsoups

have you read the thread above this one ?
Bindi

Nightmosphere wrote :
Now I am sure this will be an amazing party/event with an amazing vibe.... no doubt about that.

But.... I just cant help but feel it is unbelievably disrespectful and potentially damaging to the fragile environment on Easter Island....

Hey there Nightmosphere :)

Check out the festival organisers website & I think you might find some answers there..
they are limiting the number of people going to the festival, as are all other tour groups going to the island to watch the eclipse - after all it has world wide interest... not just us. (& yes I am going) :)

From the site:
"Honu Eclipse 2010 will fund and launch the first sustainable Eco-Camping and open air events centre on Easter Island with a low impact capacity of up to 2000 people. **
• Due to its visionary concept and benefits for the community and tourism, the project has the full backing of the honourable Rapa Nui Parliament, the true representative organization of the Rapanui people, officially recognized by the United Nations."

The festival organisers have been working with many groups from all over the world to create & build the first eco camping site on the island. Read more here: http://www.honueclipse.org/home/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=61%3Acentro-honu-for-the-eco-culture-in-rapa-nui&catid=34%3Aarts&lang=en
(** Note: the festival number has since been reduced.)

The complete website/info is here: http://www.honueclipse.org/home/

I hope that answers your questions!

cheers,
Bindi
3 posts Page 1 of 1