Vaccinate your damn kids!

Current Events, World Discussion, Opinions etc
28 posts Page 1 of 2
venatrix

Anti-immunisation doctor banned

Britain's top medical group has banned a doctor whose research suggesting a link between a common vaccine and autism caused millions of parents worldwide to abandon the shot for measles, mumps and rubella.

Dr Andrew Wakefield was the first to publish peer-reviewed research suggesting such a connection, even though the study was later widely discredited. The ruling by Britain's General Medical Council found him guilty of serious professional misconduct.

Wakefield, 53, then moved to the US and set up an autism centre in Texas, where he has a wide following, but faces similar skepticism from the medical community. The ruling in Britain only applies to his right to practice medicine in the UK, not in other countries.

Appearing on NBC's Today Show, Wakefield described the decision as "a little bump on the road." He claimed the US government has been settling cases of vaccine-induced autism since 1991.

Wakefield said the council's ruling against him - which cited alleged unethical conduct in carrying out his research - had been "made from the outset" and vowed to continue his research into the link between vaccines and autism.

"These parents are not going away, the children are not going to go away and I most certainly am not going away," he said.

Two rulings by a special branch of the US Court of Federal Claims in March and last year found no link between vaccines and autism. But more than 5500 claims have been filed by families seeking compensation for children believed to have been hurt by the measles vaccine.

Wakefield has the right to appeal the ruling, which takes effect within 28 days.

Vaccination rates in Britain have never recovered since Wakefield's research was published in 1998 and there are measles outbreaks in the country every year. The disease is also on the rise in the US.

Numerous other studies have been conducted since then and none have found a connection between autism and any vaccine.

Britain's General Medical Council struck Wakefield from the medical register and found him guilty of "serious professional misconduct." The council's investigation focused on how Wakefield and colleagues carried out their research, not on the science behind it.

Wakefield has been a central figure in the anti-vaccine lobby and has garnered much support from parents suspicious of vaccines, including some Hollywood celebrities. In February, US actress Jenny McCarthy, who has an autistic son, issued a statement with her former partner Jim Carrey.

"It is our most sincere belief that Dr Wakefield and parents of children with autism around the world are being subjected to a remarkable media campaign engineered by vaccine manufacturers," McCarthy and Carrey said in February. "Dr Wakefield is being vilified through a well-orchestrated smear campaign."

Wakefield and colleagues published a study in the medical journal Lancet in 1998 alleging a link between autism and the vaccine for measles, mumps and rubella.

At the time, Wakefield was working as a gastroenterologist at London's Royal Free Hospital and did not have the ethical approval to conduct the study. He had also been paid to advise lawyers representing parents who believed their children had been hurt by the measles, mumps and rubella vaccine.

Ten of the study's authors later renounced its conclusions and it was retracted by the Lancet in February.

In 2005, Wakefield founded a nonprofit autism centre in Austin, Texas, but quit earlier this year.

In January, Britain's medical council ruled that Wakefield and two other doctors acted unethically and showed a "callous disregard" for the children in their study. The medical body said Wakefield took blood samples from children at his son's birthday party, paying them 5 pounds (today worth $8.74) each and later joked about the incident.

In a statement then, Wakefield said the medical council's investigation was an effort to "discredit and silence" him to "shield the government from exposure on the (measles) vaccine scandal."

In its ruling, the medical council said Wakefield abused his position as a doctor and "brought the medical profession into disrepute."

At least a dozen British medical associations including the Royal College of Physicians, the Medical Research Council and the Wellcome Trust have issued statements verifying the safety of the measles, mumps and rubella vaccine.

"I hope this ruling will finally persuade the public and some misguided journalists that Dr Wakefield behaved irresponsibly," said Dr Jennifer Best, a virologist at King's College University in London. "(The measles) vaccine is a safe vaccine."

http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/wellbeing/antiimmunisation-doctor-banned-20100525-w96j.html

Stick that in your bong and smoke it!
Pete_Paranoid

No high school for illiterate students: expert

By Bronwyn Herbert

The director of a national not-for-profit tutorial centre says there should be an iron-clad law that students cannot progress to high school until it is proven they can read.

Thousands of primary school students around Australia cannot adequately read and write yet still make the transition to high school.

Reverend Bill Crews, who runs remedial learning centres in Sydney, Darwin and Gladstone, says that is a massive mistake.

He says the Federal Government's national literacy and numeracy tests, known as NAPLAN, are critical to keeping a check and balance on students, especially those who might slip through the system.

"It is such a good thing to do. Our experience here, which is now being shown up in the tables, is if kids don't leave primary school being able to read they fall behind at high school," he said.

"It should be an iron-clad law that kids cannot leave primary school until they can read."

State and territory education unions are stepping up their push for teachers to boycott next week's NAPLAN tests, saying data will be used for the My School website and lead to the creation of league tables.

Reverend Crews says students like Joel West prove how important testing is.

At age 11 Joel has the reading skills of a child four years his junior.

"I couldn't read and spell, write, and whenever I couldn't do it it was making me angry," he said.

He has been at the Exodus tutorial centre for two months.

His mother, Monie West, says the change in her son has been unbelievable.

"He went from reading nothing... struggling with every word... to being able to sound out the biggest words. So I'm very proud of him," she said.

"It's only been a term and he can read. It helps now because he can read the back [of microwave packets] now to cook his own pasta and stuff like that. So it's helped in a lot of ways, big and small."

Life skills

Mary Storch, a senior teacher from the Exodus centre in Ashfield, says the inability to read can lead to a host of problems later in life.

"We have to catch these kids before they go to high school because what happens, if you look at the statistics, I think something like 70 per cent of people in prison have literacy problems," she said.

"So if you can't read it's very difficult to get a job. You can't a job. You can't fill in forms. What happens? How do you earn an income? It's very hard.

"So what Bill is trying to do is get them into good jobs and keep them out of trouble."

Reverend Crews says education unions are fighting the wrong cause.

"I think their compassion is misguided. The whole thing is to do what's in the best interest of every child, and in 2010 the best interests of every child are being served by them being able to read," he said.

He also believes the NAPLAN test results should be made public.

"Yes, because we need to know. Everybody needs to know. What then happens is anecdotal evidence can be supported."

On Tuesday afternoon Fair Work Australia ruled that teachers in Victoria could not boycott next week's national tests.

Education unions in other states and territories have already been ordered to supervise the NAPLAN tests.

The Australian Education Union (AEU) is attempting to defy the order because it says the tests can be used to compile league tables ranking schools.

Education Minister Julia Gillard says that is not what the NAPLAN tests are about.

"It's not like we're standing by just going 'bad school'. We're there with $2.5 billion of new resources and reforms including things like getting the best graduates to go into teaching, paying our best teachers more to go to the classrooms that need them the most to make a difference," Ms Gillard said.

"And it just amazes me that people would stand in the way of that journey."

Speaking to business leaders in Adelaide, Ms Gillard said illiteracy is a sensitive area but it must be addressed.

"Forty per cent of Australian workers don't have basic literacy and numeracy skills; the skills we need in the modern workforce. That equates to around 4.5 million Australians."

She says boosting the language, literacy and numeracy capacity of the workforce is perhaps the single most constructive step in improving Australia's productivity.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/05/04/2890292.htm
venatrix

What the fuck kind of useless parent has an 11 year old who can't read???? :shock: :shock: :shock:

That's fucking disgraceful!

I started learning to read when I was 2 years old. My parents read me stories every single night and taught me to read themselves. When I started kindergarten I had a reading age of a 7 year old. My parents would make endless trips to the library and I had read every single book in the childrens/young adult section by the time I was 9.

Sure you could leave it up to the school teacher to teach your kid to read. I mean there's only one teacher and about 35 kids, I'm sure that's going to be a great opportunity for your kid to get the individual attention they need to learn to read properly!

Or...

You could spend 30 mins every night reading your kid a story book and helping them learn to recognise the words on the page....

Up to you really, but don't go whining that your kid can't read if you have never even bothered to give them a chance to learn at home.
herbsandspices

or you could sit them in front of the TV with a packet of chips and blame someone else

there's no such thing as a breeding licence, but when I am running my reich, there sure as fuck will be
venatrix

herbsandspices wrote :
or you could sit them in front of the TV with a packet of chips and blame someone else

there's no such thing as a breeding licence, but when I am running my reich, there sure as fuck will be

well c'mon, get cracking with the world domination. billions of morons are breeding as we speak :shock:
Pete_Paranoid

venatrix wrote :
What the fuck kind of useless parent has an 11 year old who can't read???? :shock: :shock: :shock:

That's fucking disgraceful!

I started learning to read when I was 2 years old. My parents read me stories every single night and taught me to read themselves. When I started kindergarten I had a reading age of a 7 year old. My parents would make endless trips to the library and I had read every single book in the childrens/young adult section by the time I was 9.

Sure you could leave it up to the school teacher to teach your kid to read. I mean there's only one teacher and about 35 kids, I'm sure that's going to be a great opportunity for your kid to get the individual attention they need to learn to read properly!

Or...

You could spend 30 mins every night reading your kid a story book and helping them learn to recognise the words on the page....

Up to you really, but don't go whining that your kid can't read if you have never even bothered to give them a chance to learn at home.

Government policy-makers are failing the maths test

Jill Rowbotham The Australian May 26, 2010 12:00AM

MATHEMATICIANS and statisticians have been dropped from the Immigration Department's new skilled occupation list, leaving one of the country's top practitioners and educators, Cheryl Praeger, "extremely disappointed".

The Winthrop professor in the school of mathematics and statistics at the University of Western Australia, Professor Praeger has called for reinstatement of the professions, arguing their omission will make it more difficult for overseas graduates in those subjects to obtain a permanent residency visa.

"Moveover, there's a compound effect for WA schools," Professor Praeger told a public lecture at the university last week. "The increased demand for mathematics graduates by industry in WA is exacerbating an already seriously inadequate source of trained mathematics teachers for WA schools."

Professor Praeger, last year's WA Scientist of the Year, is also chairwoman of the peak university and professional body, the Australian Council of Heads of Mathematical Sciences.

The number of students studying advanced mathematics in school has dropped significantly in the past decade and the percentage of Australians graduating with a major in mathematics or statistics is less than half the Organisation of Economic Co-operation and Development average. From 2001 to 2007, students enrolling for mathematics majors in Australian universities fell about 15 per cent, while demand for mathematics and statistics graduates is predicted to grow by 3.5 per cent annually until 2013 .

Professor Praeger called for a national campaign to "make clear to teachers, parents and career advisers the contribution of mathematical sciences to modern life and to Australia and the critical role they play in many career options".

Professor Praeger's comments follow a Group of Eight report in March that declared mathematics education in Australia was in a crisis and noted a worryingly negative attitude to mathematics among students from as early as the lower grades in high school.

According to a study only 33 per cent of year 8 students liked mathematics, compared with an international average of 54 per cent.

Professor Praeger said she was surprised by the omission of mathematics and statistics from the skilled migrant list given the Go8 report had spelled out so clearly the magnitude of the problem.

She told the HES: "I was speaking to the head of physics at UWA and he said if students come without enough physics, he can deal with it, but if they come without enough mathematics, he wouldn't know how to help them."

She said it was "time to give an appropriate focus to the top 70 per cent of able students who perform well in mathematics [in high school] and encourage them to meet their potential. There has been a strong focus on trying to provide for everybody but the kids doing well have not been encouraged to achieve all that they could. Back in the 1980s there was a very influential review in the UK, which found in any maths classroom you would find a difference in mathematical competence levels of seven years."

She said she was hearing anecdotally that in some schools, work students would once have done in years 8 and 9 was not being taught until year 10.

But she was hopeful the new national mathematics curriculum, to which the council of heads was submitting a response this week, would provide an opportunity to address some of these issues.

"Doing nothing is not an option. Doing nothing would jeopardise Australia's economic and research capacity."

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/higher-education/government-policy-makers-are-failing-the-maths-test/story-e6frgcjx-1225871259642

How's your math?
venatrix

How's your maths? (This isn't America dude, in Australia we do maths)

Also, irrelevant.
treedreamer

many parents are neglectful of their children. maybe it's too hard or they are busy paying the mortgage. after all, it's only the teachers' job to get their kid to read right? disgraceful. education is treated like an annoyance by most young people. many young people have no idea of the privilege it gives and pretty much do fuck all most of the time. i-phones are so much more interesting. if a kid can't read it's because of parents' poor literacy or zero care factor, or the kid's own apathy. or, it could be cognitive. there is so much support for kids in most schools but you wouldn't know if you didn't work in one. teacher trashing is rife but pointless. won't allow to see what is really going on. NAPLAN is just another little game by the Govt. more hoops.
venatrix

too true treedreamer :/

when you see what families in other countries go through to get their kids the most basic education - working so hard 12-14 hours a day in the most menial jobs with horrendous conditions - its disgraceful to be faced with the attitudes of so many aussies regarding school and education.

what grinds my gears is how much money is thrown at kids who are lagging behind and have learning difficulties compared to how little (or non existent) programs and resources for the bright kids who have to sit through lesson after lesson aimed at the lcd and are bored out of their brains. if we recognise that kids who struggle need help we should also recognise that kids who are above average need as much encouragement and support to stay in school and achieve their best instead of falling by the wayside because they are ignored. teachers shouldn't have to spend 3/4 of every lesson trying to get kids to sit down, be quiet, listen, and do their work!!!!
Pete_Paranoid

venatrix wrote :
How's your maths? (This isn't America dude, in Australia we do maths)

Also, irrelevant.

Thoughts of A Dying Atheist by Muse

Eerie whispers
Trapped beneath my pillow
Won't let me sleep
Your memories

I know you're in this room
I'm sure I heard you sigh
Floating in-between
Where our worlds collide

It scares the hell out of me
And the end is all I can see
And it scares the hell out of me
Yea yea yeaaaaa yea yea
Yea yea yea
Yea yea o aaa oaaaaaaa!!

I know the moment's near
And there's nothing we can do
Look through a faithless eye
Are you afraid to die?

Yea yea yeaaaaa yea yea
Yea yea yea
Yea yea o aaa oaaaaaaa!!

Yea yea yeaaaaa yea yea
Yea yea yea
Yea yea o aaa oaaaaaaa!!
itchytriggerniggerfingers

venatrix wrote :
what grinds my gears is how much money is thrown at kids who are lagging behind and have learning difficulties compared to how little (or non existent) programs and resources for the bright kids who have to sit through lesson after lesson aimed at the lcd and are bored out of their brains. if we recognise that kids who struggle need help we should also recognise that kids who are above average need as much encouragement and support to stay in school and achieve their best instead of falling by the wayside because they are ignored. teachers shouldn't have to spend 3/4 of every lesson trying to get kids to sit down, be quiet, listen, and do their work!!!!

Go & ask Demet how hard it is for her trying to control a pack of testosterone filled teenagers, when the system is geared in such a way that the teachers can't do much more than say "sit down & pay attention!"
venatrix

Anti-vaccine group a threat

When their four-week-old baby daughter Dana died from whooping cough Toni and David McCaffery sought love and healing to ease their grief.

Instead, they say they were subjected to a campaign of harassment and abuse at the hands of anti-vaccination campaigners, a group who were yesterday labelled a serious threat to the public's health and safety.

The Health Care Complaints Commission issued a public warning against the Australian Vaccination Network after it refused to display a disclaimer on its website to inform readers its information should not be taken as medical advice.

Earlier this month the commission investigated the network, run out of Bangalow on the north coast by Meryl Dorey, and found its website presented incorrect and misleading information that was solely anti-vaccination and quoted selectively from research suggesting that vaccination may be dangerous.

Its investigation was sparked by two complaints, one from Toni and David McCaffery, whose four-week-old daughter Dana died from whooping cough last year.

The couple, from Lennox Head, allege they were subjected to months of harassment and abuse by Ms Dorey and anti-vaccination campaigners, accusing them of lying about the cause of their daughter's death. They received anonymous letters and emails that said whooping cough was not fatal and vaccinations were not needed.

Mrs McCaffery, whose daughter was too young to be vaccinated when she caught whooping cough, said Ms Dorey also tried to get her baby's medical records from the hospital without permission. ''Instead of love and healing in the weeks after Dana's death, we got ugliness … it has been terrible,'' she said.

Mrs McCaffery also complained that Ms Dorey had quoted misleading statistics, spread misinformation through seminars and the internet, and gave poor telephone advice.

The second complaint against the network was made by Ken McLeod, a member of a group called Stop the AVN.

He said Ms Dorey had claimed that meningococcal disease was harmless and ''hardly kills anybody''; that vaccination was being used to spread AIDS in Third World countries; and homeopathy could take the place of vaccination.

His group now wants the state government to apply for a court injunction against the network and have it closed down. The group's website says Ms Dorey believes ''vaccines are part of a global conspiracy to implant mind control chips into every man, woman and child and that the 'illuminati' plan a mass cull of humans''.

Ms Dorey did not return calls yesterday but issued a statement on her website which said the HCCC's recommendation was ''laughable'' and she was seeking legal advice.

''Nobody would expect nuclear safety advocates to issue statements on the benefits of nuclear power; Greenpeace to make films on the pleasures of killing and eating whales … Why then should we be expected to make statements we don't believe are factual and that are not supported by the medical literature?

''If the AVN is expected to show both sides of this issue, why aren't the medical community and the government likewise cited for their lack of disclosure on the risks and ineffectiveness of vaccines?"

A spokesman for the HCCC said it could take no further action but it was disappointing the network was refusing to make its position clear.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/antivacc ... 10smn.html

If my 4 week old baby died of whooping cough I would personally firebomb this woman's house and the house of every brain dead fucking hippie in the area who didn't vaccinate their kids as they are directly responsible for the death of this baby.
rollyz

What a bunch of frickin loonies.... :roll:
Last Yuppie Standing

^^ Would be interesting to hear Meryl Dorey's explanation on how she thinks a mind control chip is able to be inserted into every single vile of every single vaccine worldwide without the general populations knowledge.
venatrix

Would be more interesting to infect her with the first case of smallpox in 30 years and lock her in solitary confinement until she dies.
rollyz

^^^ :lol:
Last Yuppie Standing

venatrix wrote :
....we should also recognise that kids who are above average need as much encouragement and support to stay in school and achieve their best instead of falling by the wayside because they are ignored. teachers shouldn't have to spend 3/4 of every lesson trying to get kids to sit down, be quiet, listen, and do their work!!!!

I would imagine the attitudes towards how to teach to primary school students will change with the increase in the migrant population here.

Back when I was in primary school here, my year 4 teacher told my folks not to send me to a gifted school as the gifted school would encourage competition among students and this increased competiton would supposedly be negative for a child. On the other hand, many of the Asian countries for example have an education system that sees their teachers encouraging competition amongst their students.

As classrooms here see the increase in migrant students and the competitive attitudes they bring to classrooms, our government will see that a change in our educational system is needed if we are to have a level of education that competes with our Asian neighbours.
itchytriggerniggerfingers

venatrix

Last edited by venatrix on Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FeralBrown

so... let me get this straight... we're concerned that the world is overpopulated, the morons are breeding prolifically AND everyone needs a better chance at a happier, healthier, longer life(?)
A simple yes/no will probably suffice.
tract

herbsandspices

Today I saw a bumble bee flying in my garden, so I pulled it's wings off.
Hylomorphism

Vaccines and Mercury Neurotoxicity in Children

At high exposure levels, mercury causes neurotoxicity in humans, especially in fetuses and small infants whose brains are still developing.

The major toxicity of mercury is manifested in the central nervous system. Forty years ago, when women at Minamata Bay, Japan, ate fish contaminated with methylmercury from pollutants, their children were exposed to high levels in utero and were born with developmental and neurologic disorders.

Methylmercury poisoning also occurred in Iraq following consumption of seed grain that had been treated with a fungicide containing methylmercury. In both the Japanese and Iraqi episodes, exposures to methylmercury were high.

Two population-based studies are often cited as the basis for calculations on the neurotoxicity of mercury in utero. In the first, a study from the Seychelles, infants were exposed to mercury in utero when their mothers ate a high daily consumption of methylmercury-containing fish. The mothers had mean mercury levels in hair of 6.8 ppm. No developmental defects were detected.

In the second, a study from the Faroe Islands, infants were born to mothers with mean hair levels of 4.3 ppm. In contrast to the Seychelles mothers, these mothers were exposed to mercury through intermittent "bolus" consumption of pilot whale meat. Lower scores on memory, attention, and language tests were associated with methylmercury exposure in the children (see the Mercury Study Report to Congress, EPA, 1997).

Thimerosal and Neurotoxicity

The mercury compound, thimerosal, was used as a vaccine preservative since the 1930s, and was viewed as a safe, reliable, and somewhat drab defender against bacterial and fungal contamination. Thimerosal was sometimes added to vaccines during manufacturing to offset production-related contamination. It was thought to have its greatest value in the field, where it acted as a fail-safe against imperfect aseptic handling, especially for multi-dose vaccines, in which the re-entry of needles increases the risk of bacterial contamination. Thimerosal's only competitor, 2-phenoxyethanol, was less effective in suppressing potential contaminants like Pseudomonas aeruginosa, E. coli, and Staph. Aureus.1 Thimerosal contains 49.6% mercury by weight.

Thimerosal is a water-soluble, cream-colored, crystalline powder. . In the human body, thimerosal is metabolized to ethylmercury and thiosalicylate. Toxicological information on the chief metabolite of thimerosal, ethylmercury, is extremely limited.

Total mercury levels before and after the administration of hepatitis B vaccine (which contains thimerosal) was measured in 15 preterm and 5 term infants. Comparison of pre- and post-vaccination mercury levels showed a significant increase in both preterm and term infants after vaccination. Additionally, post-vaccination mercury levels were significantly higher in preterm infants as compared with term infants.2

During the recent controversy over the safety of thimerosal in vaccines, toxicologists have assumed that the toxicity of ethylmercury is equivalent to the toxicity of methylmercury. The primary environmental exposure is through consumption of predator fish. A 6-ounce can of tuna fish contains an average of 17 micrograms of mercury. A pediatric dose of hepatitis B vaccine contains very little more mercury than that.3

Thimerosal surfaced as a safety issue in Europe in June, 1999, when the Agency for the Evaluation of Medicinal Products (EMEA), completed an 18-month inquiry into the risks and benefits of using thimerosal in vaccines. The EMEA concluded that: "Although there is no evidence of harm caused by the level of exposure from vaccines, it would be prudent to promote the general use of vaccines without thimerosal."

The FDA's Center for Biologics Evaluation & Research (CBER) began by adding up the total amount of mercury given to children through vaccines in the U.S. immunization schedule. Thimerosal was present in over 30 licensed vaccines in the U.S. in concentrations of 0.003% to 0.01%. According to the agency's calculations, an infant six months old, receiving all vaccine doses on schedule, would receive:

75 micrograms of mercury from three doses of DTP,
75 micrograms from three doses of Hib, and
37.5 micrograms from three doses of hepatitis B vaccine;

for a total of 187.5 micrograms of mercury.

Thimerosal is metabolized in humans to ethylmercury, but guidelines for safe mercury intake relate only to methylmercury. The literature on ethylmercury toxicity was so scant that toxicologists did not know if ethylmercury was more or less toxic than methylmercury. Left with no choice, CBER analysts assumed that the toxicity of the ethyl compound was equivalent to the methyl compound.

Given this assumption, the mercury intake from vaccines in children six months old, 187.5 micrograms, was compared to the suggested safe limits for methylmercury intake published by three federal agencies: EPA, FDA, and the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR). Mercury intake through vaccination during the first six months of life exceeded the limit set by the EPA.

However, the EPA's reference dose, or RfD, was truly cautious, based on a single episode of methylmercury poisoning in Iraq in which 81 children were exposed to high levels of mercury in utero. The EPA calculated the RfD by determining the dose that produced a 10% prevalence of adverse neurological effects in the affected children, including late walking, late talking, and abnormal neurological scores. The agency then placed a 95% confidence interval around this dose and divided the lower bound of the interval by an "uncertainty factor" of 10 to arrive at the RfD.

Nevertheless, the Iraqi finding strengthened the anti-mercury argument, since its proponents maintained that mercury was most hazardous among children already susceptible for autism. Since most children are not susceptible, mercury might be acceptable for the majority, but devastating for the small minority.

The Iraqi children sustained long-term daily prenatal exposures, while vaccinated children have intermittent intramuscular doses later in life, as infants. No one knew how these exposure differences affected the potential neurotoxicity of mercury, or if they would.

Only two single-antigen pediatric hepatitis B vaccines exist on the U.S. market - Engerix-B (SmithKline Beecham) and Recombivax HB (Merck). Both contain thimerosal and 12.5 micrograms of mercury per 0.5 ml dose. The American Academy of Pediatrics pressed CDC to agree to a delay of the hepatitis B vaccination series, usually started at birth, for children born to hepatitis B surface antigen (HBsAg)-seronegative mothers. The Academy argued that the delay would only be temporary, because both Merck and SmithKline Beecham had promised that they could quickly shift manufacturing to thimerosal-free vaccine, perhaps in just a few months (the FDA had already promised to review applications for thimerosal-free hepatitis B vaccine within 30 days).

The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is moving in the pharmacological direction of "single dose presentations of vaccines without preservatives", said the FDA's Dr. William M. Egan at the Third Annual Conference on Vaccine Research in Washington, DC, May 4, 2000.4

Dr. Egan, acting director of the Center for Biological Evaluation and Research's office of vaccines research and review, centered his talk on thimerosal, a common preservative in vaccines, including childhood vaccines. The American Academy of Pediatrics and the Public Health Service released a joint statement saying that the risks of not vaccinating far outweighed the potential risk of thimerosal. But the statement - as Dr. Egan pointed out - also recommended that thimerosal should be removed from vaccines as soon as possible.

As of May, 2000, it is possible to get the entire course of childhood vaccines without thimerosal, since some manufacturers have developed thimerosal-free vaccines.

Mercury and other heavy metals have an adverse effect on the sulfate transport mechanism which helps reabsorb sulfate at the level of the kidneys.5 This transporter provides a mechanism to prevent excess loss of sulfate. Two heavy metals, chromium and mercury, are especially talented at preventing the transporter from doing its job: mercury could stop the retention of sulfate almost completely.6

Heavy metals are nephrotoxic, with the glomerulus a primary site of damage in some cases. In order to separate the direct effects of metal ions from those occurring secondary to systemic or post-glomerular toxicity, Templeton and Chaitu studied the effects of divalent salts of Hg, Cd, Cu, Zn, Mn, Ni and Co on freshly isolated rat glomeruli.7

The concentration of the metal ion causing a 50% reduction in the incorporation of [3H]leucine into protein over 16 hours varied from 30 microM with Cd to about 2 mM with Ni and Mn. The log of the concentration was significantly correlated with the softness of the metal ion, indicating greater toxicity of ions such a Cd2+ and Hg2+ that prefer sulphur as a ligand. Incorporation of [3H]sulphate into proteoglycans was affected in a comparable manner to total protein synthesis. However, the softer metals caused a preferential decrease in the production of more highly charged dermatan sulphate, indicative of an effect on mesangial cells.

Various writers have theorized that heavy metal exposure might have the most deleterious effects on the differentiation of highly sulfated tissues like O2A cells, the precursors of type 2 astrocytes and for oligodendrocytes, the myelinating cells of the central nervous system. This provides one potential explanation for how heavy metals might contribute to autism.

A similar transporter in the gut facilitates the absorption of sulfate from the contents of the gut, and is so similar structurally to the kidney and liver transporter that one would also expect mercury would pose similar problems regarding the acquisition of sulfate from the diet. Because mercury could pose problems both in absorption and retention of sulfate, it shouldn't be surprising that the symptoms of mercury poisoning are so similar to the symptoms of autism.

Dr. Rosemary Waring's work in autism found high levels of sulfate in the urine despite low blood levels. Dr. Waring also found evidence for a loss of sulfur detoxification ability. When the glomerular basement membrane itself becomes undersulfated, the result is increasing loss of sulfate, associated with peptiduria and proteinuria - common findings in autism.

If the body is wasting protein and amino acids, then it is also wasting its own metabolic source of sulfate. On the cellular level, sulfated amino acids can compensate for the loss of sulfate transporter function if these amino acids are available in adequate quantity for the cell to use. This assumes a lack of inherited problems in the cysteine to sulfate pathway - errors that are more common in autism than in controls.

Is There a Link betwen Mercury Exposure and Autism?

Purported links between mercury and autism still remain speculative, although new research shows that treatments for mercury toxicity are promising (see Dr. Amy Holmes article, The Chelation of Mercury in the Treatment of Autism). Mercury does affect microtubules, which participate in neuronal function and in synaptogenesis. The timing of infant and toddler thimerosal injections corresponds to major neuronal development and synaptogenesis (the making of synapses) that occurs postnatally in the human. Synaptogenesis is important with regard to eye-contact, smiling, early language, and other traits central to the diagnostic criteria for autism.

Why are only some children affected and not others? Proponents of the mercury hypothesis argue that numerous studies have documented a range of mercury responses, from not-affected to severely affected - in all species thus far studied. This range of reactions derives from genetic predispositions and/or from altered detoxification capabilities, which themselves involve liver function and glutathione.

Many factors can affect liver function and glutathione availability in infants and toddlers. For instance, a recent or chronic-active infection can deplete glutathione. The factors which predispose towards mercury neurotoxicity and their primary citations are reviewed in Bernard et al. Similarly, thalidomide and Pink Disease provide human examples wherein only some individuals within exposed populations developed adverse effects.

A 2005 research study on thimerosal citing the Institute of Medicine (IOM), noted that "recent publications have proposed a direct link between the use of thimerosal-containing vaccines and the significant rise in the number of children being diagnosed with autism, a serious and prevalent developmental disorder (for review, see IOM 2001). Results from an initial IOM review of the safety of vaccines found that there was not sufficient evidence to render an opinion on the relationship between ethylmercury exposure and developmental disorders in children (IOM 2001).

The IOM review did, however, note the possibility of such a relationship and recommended further studies be conducted. A recently published second review (IOM 2004) appears to have abandoned the earlier recommendation as well as backed away from the American Academy of Pediatrics goal. This approach is difficult to understand, given our current limited knowledge of the toxicokinetics and developmental neurotoxicity of thimerosal, a compound that has been (and will continue to be) injected in millions of newborns and infants."

The key findings of the present study are the differences in the disposition kinetics and demethylation rates of thimerosal and Monomethylmercury (MeHg). Consequently, the researchers conclude that MeHg is not a suitable reference for risk assessment from exposure to thimerosal-derived Hg. The authors go on to state: "Knowledge of the biotransformation of thimerosal, the chemical identity of the Hg-containing species in the blood and brain, and the neurotoxic potential of intact thimerosal and its various biotransformation products, including ethylmercury, is urgently needed to afford a meaningful interpretation of the potential developmental effects of immunization with thimerosal-containing vaccines in newborns and infants. This information is critical if we are to respond to public concerns regarding the safety of childhood immunizations."

http://www.healing-arts.org/children/vaccines/vaccines-mercury.htm#Origins
herbsandspices

"All vaccines on the current National Immunisation Program (NIP) schedule for infants and children under the age of 8 years are now free of thiomersal. The exception is one of the infant hepatitis B vaccines, Engerix-B paediatric formulation, which contains a greatly reduced amount of thiomersal (<1 μg per dose) and this amount of thiomersal is considered to be insignificant from a clinical perspective." - national centre for immunisation research and surveillance

Thus, why is your point relevant to the current argument about modern parents refusing to immunise their children?
Hylomorphism

Immunization is folly (except of course if the family lives on the Sad American processed animal-based Diet); and shows how divorced we are from the natural law. If parents lived on a 100 % plant based diet consisting of at least 75% raw organic vegetables, fruits, sprouts, superfoods, clean untreated water, fresh juices, raw nuts seeds, and first cold-pressed virgin oils; avoiding all dairy, all meat, all seafood, all foods with chemical additives, alcohol, caffeine, stimulents, smokables, pharmaceutical drugs then they themselves would be free of all allergies, all metastasized cancer cells, all forms of diabetes, all heart and circulatory disease will disappear from their life. They will never even get colds/flus or even head aches. Their immune systems would be functioning exactly how they were designed to function; the temples of their bodies would be in harmony and symbiotic balance with the rest of creation on the natural order. Then when these people conceive a child the fetus (which is Latin for little one) will form in a healthy mother into a person who will be born with strong, beautiful, vibrant life, with perfectly formed cells, tissues, organs and systems. The little child would have a perfect immune system And so when the little child plays in the dirt, climbs trees, mucks around in mud, catches insects, collects shells, etc, etc he or she would receive many kinds of microbes, spores, viruses, bacteria YET his immune system would build antibodies to all these things; the phagocytes & other white blood cells will destroy any invading pathogens and parasites and the child would carry on growing in strength and wisdom and wonder, NEVER experiencing the dis-ease or illness, or hay-fever, or fevers that other children experience due to compromised immune systems. He or she would never need to be immunized.

Immunization does not treat the cause of the vulnerability to these diseases anyway. These diseases would not even exist in the human sphere of experience if we lived according to the natural law. What are they doing now in the bio-labs? they are working on new vaccines to new diseases that did not exist before, which came into being due to the way man disrupts the natural order and lives perverse and insane lives. (and the blind say we are evolving; how ignorant, how deaf, how stupid)

Food is our medicine. Our bodies are made of only what we eat, drink and inhale. If one eats weard frankenfood from the supermarket, drinks high "energy" stimulent drinks, cows milk, eats the carrion from toxic diseased animals from factory farms, drinks fluridated water, eats de-natured junk food, has antibiotics and other pharmaceuticals, and the only vegetables he eats is dead mashy carrots, boiled peas & beans, potato chips and some iceburg lettuce then he or she will be in such a toxic disordered mess; the immune system so overworked and fatigued that their live becomes a living nightmare compared to how it could eailty be. This poor nutition and unnatural life is also the cause of most psychological abberrations, such as depression, bipolar, psychoses and manic states which are symptoms of a body chaos. All the food additives cause adverse hormonal and steroid actions in the body, too much hystamine is produced they get allergies, the dairy causes huge sinus and mucus (such as bad skin conditions) and other problems. The intestinal flora is bad, yeast and other bacteria proliferate all over the body, they have digestive problems and feel overall like crap most of the time. Then they tend to consume so much stimulents to try and get some energy (which is not true energy but is simply the flight or fight response of adrenaline from the adrenal glands from the caffeine. They also take in high quantities of chemicals that the body can only well deal with in small amounts And so the child becomes susceptable to many virus invations, many pathological aberrations and they get sick several times every year. And then they enter teenagehood ready to start filling their temples with many more toxic substances and an even poorer diet. Even if their life-style is better than I just portrayed the results are the same just milder or separated at greater intervals, but still hasten decreptitude, cancer and death.

People who have become raw food vegans cure advanced cancers, lupis, type II diabetes, heart disease, and even AIDS & and remove HIV, cure hepatitis and even reverse alzheimers all within a year. Maasive tumerous grows just wither away and fall off, not even leaving scars. How does this work? Simple the immune system is allowed to function as it was intended to function. One does not cure one disease and keep "alive" two others; when the body heals the whole body heals. Everything.

Now if the child from the instant of conception was supplied the best, vibrant, fresh stream of nutrients from the mother's blood stream; she being in a state of paradise health, the child would be perfectly formed, with all body systems working at optimum. Then the baby will be supplied perfect human breat milk, then eased on to a 100 % raw vegan diet, sunshine, natural water, and love and truth. The idea then of the unnatural alien practice of immunization and the whole of allopathic medicine (unless for grave injuries or from being bitten by poisonous snakes and the like) is completely absurd, superfluous and damaging. Once we eat the fruits and living foods that God had created for man and all other creatures, and when we live in harmony with the natural law then we will truly grow into a beautiful race of intelligent beings who could easily live the age limit up into the 200s and build a civilization basd on Truth, order, charity, knowledge, understanding, wisdom, beauty, life, joy, light and strength.

Doctor yourself; it is simple; it is right in front of us. The whole pharmaceutical, dairy, meat, genetically modified, factory farm, supermarket conglomerate is an abomination that has only been a dis-service, a lie, a false promise; a great generator of physical evils that are the new plagues of disease, destruction, pollution and death on this planet.
28 posts Page 1 of 2