Election 2010

Current Events, World Discussion, Opinions etc
80 posts Page 1 of 4
Mallard

Election Time, lets tell them what we really feel, 'Unsatisfied with the system' written on the ballot paper and no vote cast. It might be worse if your vote wins the election, can you trust them to do the right thing? Pass it on
synthz

oath, dunno if thats the right way to go about it though.
venatrix

Mallard wrote :
Election Time, lets tell them what we really feel, 'Unsatisfied with the system' written on the ballot paper and no vote cast. It might be worse if your vote wins the election, can you trust them to do the right thing? Pass it on

Wow! You are one dumb fuck!
herbsandspices

It never ceases to amaze me how little Australians know about their own electoral system.

The system of preferences is one issue that causes frequent head-to-wall action for me. I talk to heaps of people of relative left tendency that vote Labor instead of say, the Greens, because they don't want their vote "wasted". So fucking ignorant.

They don't teach this stuff in school for a reason I guess.
Pete_Paranoid

I was raised in a Australian Democrat house (central left leaning) however it is the businessman in me that is telling me we cannot afford the economic winter of a conservative government just yet. The world is still reeling from the complacent management from the last conservative governments.

Global Financial Crisis Claims Iceland
By Jonas Moody / Reykjavik Monday, Jan. 26, 2009

Iceland is getting used to this. Over the past six months its currency has collapsed, its largest banks have all failed and been nationalized, and its economy has imploded. Today the tiny (pop: 320,000) nation became the first to lose its government to the global financial crisis. Addressing the press, Iceland's Prime Minister Geir Haarde announced the resignation of his cabinet and the collapse of the current coalition government. The Conservative leader said that he could not "accept the Social Democratic demand that they would lead the government."

The announcement came after three months of public protests over the government's role in the economic meltdown last October. On Jan. 20, as much of the world was glued to President Obama's inauguration, a mob of riotous protesters pounded on the walls of Iceland's parliament building, denouncing the government for its incompetence. "It was heartbreaking to watch America welcome a leader who they actually revere and place all their hope in, while here we are literally banging down the government's door to get them to listen to us," says Erla Bjarnadóttir, 32, an unemployed office worker, before she returns to pounding her saucepan outside parliament. "We've lost all faith in our leaders." (See pictures of Obama's inauguration.)

Last week's riot, which involved more than 2000 demonstrators who broke windows, banged on pans and drums and hurled eggs and skyr, a kind of Icelandic yogurt, at parliament and at riot police, seems to have shaken Icelandic politicians. Two days after a throng of angry protesters beset his official car on Jan. 21, Prime Minister Haarde called a press conference to reveal that doctors had found a malignant tumor in this throat and that he would step down. In an unexpected move, Haarde called for an election in May, only days after firmly and repeatedly denying the possibility of such a poll.

In the days that have followed a number of prominent officials, including Minister of Commerce Björgvín Sigurdsson and the director and board of Iceland's Financial Supervisory Authority, have tendered their resignations.

A year ago, few would have predicted such a rapid fall from grace for the affluent North Atlantic nation. Iceland topped the most recent U.N. Human Development Index and boasted one of the highest GDP's per capita in the world. But its banks, carrying massive debt loads, became early victims of the global credit crunch. In October, in an effort to salvage the hemorrhaging economy Haarde's government negotiated a $10 billion bail out package with the International Monetary Fund.

But as thousands began losing their jobs, public anger grew. As the Minister of Commerce Sigurdsson said in his resignation statement: "Last night I came to the realization that, for me, there is no turning back. The anger and distrust of the people is to too deep for me to be able to gain their faith again."

The prime minister is now due to meet with the president to formalize the dissolution of the current government. It remains unclear whether parliament will be dissolved, or if elections will be held immediately. Another possibility is a national government with all parties participating until the May election. If the Social Democrats take control, even temporarily, they are likely to be led by Jóhanna Sigurðardóttir, who would become Iceland's first female prime minister and the first openly gay prime minister in Europe.

Protestors vow that their campaign is not over. "Of course I'm happy with today's announcements," Hördur Torfason, a spokesman for the protestors, told TIME. "But the day isn't over yet."
http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1874036,00.html

AUSTRALIA'S economic stimulus package is delivering a bigger boost to employment than those of any other advanced country and the benefits could be felt for up to a decade, according to the OECD.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/nation/stimulus-to-be-felt-for-decade-says-oecd/story-e6frg6nf-1225775448992

Good on you Kev!
venatrix

Hands up everyone who wants a PM who doesn't believe in man-made climate change, does believe in an imaginary being in the sky, doesn't know how to iron his own fucking business shirts, and will bring back WorkChoices?
Christian

To put it even more simply, JG is just way cooler.
itchytriggerniggerfingers

Christian wrote :
To put it even more simply, JG is just way cooler.

Or just the lesser of 2 evils....
fnarky

First up, enrol to vote. If you're not already on the roll, that's an urgent priority because you only have until 8pm tonight.

If you've changed address or name (married?) since the last election you have until 8pm Wednesday to update your details.

Here’s where: http://www.aec.gov.au/Enrolling_to_vote/Update_enrolment.htm

As for the old anarchist philosophy of sticking a birdie on your ballot paper, I respect that - but only if you're a committed anarchist who lives by their principals. You have to understand the system, Mallard, in order to be "unsatisfied" (or dissatisfied, even) with it!

Otherwise, I hope you've the wit to ignore the creeping cynicism we all feel towards politicians and the ‘system’. I suggest you allow all cynicism to flit gently from your heart and to replace it with an uplifting inkling that good sense and good intention can prevail. Especially with our system of preferential voting, as herbsandspice (and all things nice) was saying...

Oh yeah, and whatever you do, read this article!

http://anonymouslefty.wordpress.com/2010/07/05/isnt-a-vote-for-the-greens-a-wasted-vote/

Isn’t a vote for the Greens a wasted vote?

Several of my friends are Labor voters, despite disagreeing with 90% of what the party actually does in office. “Why waste my vote by voting for the Greens?” they ask. “They’ll never be in power!”

For progressive ALP voters there’s a very simple answer to this question: because voting Greens will make the ALP a more compassionate, humanitarian party.

If you vote ALP regardless of how far to the right they lunge, then they know they can ignore you while they chase conservative votes. If you vote Greens and preference ALP, then you tell them that they need to represent progressive views or risk losing seats to the Greens. They’ll precisely two choices then: either adapt by paying attention to what you want and stopping emulating Tony Abbott – or you, along with other progressive voters, will eventually end up electing Greens MPs. (And they’ll hold the ALP accountable to your views in Parliament.)

The reason the ALP keeps lunging to the right is that it thinks its main competition is the Liberals, and it’s trying to appeal to their voters. For the same reason, the more serious the competition it gets from the Greens (by ALP voters abandoning it for the Greens, the same way swinging voters abandon it for the Liberals), the more it’s going to have to compete for progressive votes – which means the ALP starting to actually listen to you! It means the ALP proposing policies with which you might actually agree.

This will not happen if you just vote ALP regardless of what it actually does.

By voting 1 for the Greens and preferencing the ALP, your vote is just as strong at keeping Tony Abbott out – but you also, critically, make the ALP less like him. Julia Gillard emulating John Howard? That’s what you get when you let the ALP take you for granted.

Also, remember: whichever party you vote 1 for gets the funding for next time. By giving your first preference to a major party, you’re helping lock in more of the same policies. By giving it to the Greens, you’re helping to give them real competition.

PS As for “my vote’s not going to make a difference” – it’s going to make just as much difference as every other person’s. You have the same vote as Julia Gillard, or Tony Abbott, or Bob Brown. Pick the one you dislike the most: you can cancel theirs out. If you waste your vote, you’re in effect giving an extra vote to the people you like the least.

Be part of the solution, not part of the problem.
venatrix

^^ Thank you.

Great article, and wise advice you got there dude :)
Last Yuppie Standing

@fnarky you couldn't have said it better and great article, if only every Australian realised it.

A little birdy within the Greens told me he foresees the party achieving significant gains in their representation in both houses from this election to the point they hold the balance of power in the Senate. I'm not inclined to dispute this either seeing how much more aware our society is to the damage we've done and the importance of a more environmentally sustainable way of life.

Personally, I could not be happier if the Greens were to hold the balance of power in the Senate.
Mallard

Start of the topic was a bit radical I know. Been doing it on a few other forums too. Thinking now we can approach the AEC with an application to get an option for your preferences or you whole vote to be for nobody.

The other idea is to get an independence party going. One to represent all the independents and when they get ellected a public forum is. Created online for all registered voters to contribute where it holds the same parliamentry privilege as parliament.

Still a few days left to nominate yourself!
venatrix

Have you considered educating yourself and voting based on your newly acquired knowledge?
Mallard

We have an indigenous option in this election how are yours looking?

Just remember folks - If you vote, and you elect dishonest incompetent officials and they get into office & screw everything up, well YOU are to blame, YOU voted them in, YOU caused the problem. Don't start whinging 12 months later about how Abbott or Gillard or whoever are breaking their election promises like you really didn't expect it to happen :roll:
herbsandspices

So wrong Itchy.

So wrong.

If you don't vote, you are voting- for whoever the other fucktards who do elect.

herbsandspices wrote :
So wrong Itchy.

So wrong.

If you don't vote, you are voting- for whoever the other fucktards who do elect.

Huh, that last line doesn't make any sense & you know it. Anyway, shutup & watch Carlin at his best :D

speekeesy

I'm voting for Gillard cos she's a tiny bit hot- and Tony's not.... hehehe.

Newsflash - neither of them are hot. Or vote worthy.
venatrix

itchytriggerniggerfingers wrote :
herbsandspices wrote :
So wrong Itchy.

So wrong.

Huh, that last line doesn't make any sense & you know it.

Yeah dude, it really does make sense.

If you want to think voting is dumb because some American comedian makes a joke about it then that's your choice. It's about as sensible as wanting to adopt a child because Brad Pitt did it though.
Last Yuppie Standing

As expected in a political campaign, dirty underhanded tactics are already underway. Its unfortunate that some people choose to attack candidates on trivial issues such as their dress sense and their personal lives.
Well done Senator Brown for telling them off.
http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/latest/765 ... n-gillard/
Pete_Paranoid

AlJazeeraEnglish November 15, 2007

Please note strictly speaking this is breaking copyright, but as CBS has uploaded this entire episode on their Youtube channel I have made an exception.
venatrix

Pete_Paranoid wrote :
Please note strictly speaking this is breaking copyright, but as CBS has uploaded this entire episode on their Youtube channel I have made an exception.

I'm currently being fucked by copyright - all in the name of giving a free educational talk to a bunch of shit eating goths.

Shove your copyright up your fucking arse.

venatrix wrote :
If you want to think voting is dumb because some American comedian makes a joke about it then that's your choice.

No. I was simply proving that if I don't vote, I have every right to complain about the system you participated in that I had nothing to do with :lol:

In this election, I personally cannot see any of the big political parties are worthy my vote. So I will probably be voting Independant or for one of the smaller parties.

Anyway here is a list of all the political parties in Australia so people can do their homework & check each parties policies before heading to the masturbation booth :idea:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_political_parties_in_Australia
venatrix

itchytriggerniggerfingers wrote :
No. I was simply proving that if I don't vote, I have every right to complain about the system you participated in that I had nothing to do with :lol:

:banghead: No dude, the colonel is right. Not voting is voting, just in a retarded way.
80 posts Page 1 of 4