UK Minister lobbying for legalisation of drugs!!

Current Events, World Discussion, Opinions etc
13 posts Page 1 of 1
traveller

from the Transform Drug Policy Foundations Blog...
http://transform-drugs.blogspot.com/201 ... s-uks.html

UK Minister is lobbying for legalisation and regulation of all drugs!!

remember last year in the UK the chief drug advisor was sacked
after famously saying that without knowing someone's medical history
(eg allergies) it was safer to give someone ecstacy than peanuts :mrgreen:

Bob Ainsworth MP, former Home Office drugs minister and Secretary of State
for Defence, will call for the legalisation and regulation of drugs during a
Parliamentary debate he is leading in Westminster Hall, at 2.30pm,
Thurs 16th December 2010.

Mr Ainsworth said;

“I have just been reading the Coalition Government’s new Drugs Strategy. It is
described by the Home Secretary as fundamentally different to what has gone before;
it is not. To the extent that it is different, it is potentially harmful because it retreats
from the principle of harm reduction, which has been one of the main reasons for the
reduction in acquisitive crime in recent years.

However, prohibition has failed to protect us. Leaving the drugs market in the
hands of criminals causes huge and unnecessary harms to individuals, communities
and entire countries, with the poor the hardest hit. We spend billions of pounds without
preventing the wide availability of drugs. It is time to replace our failed war on drugs
with a strict system of legal regulation, to make the world a safer, healthier place,
especially for our children. We must take the trade away from organised criminals
and hand it to the control of doctors and pharmacists.

As drugs minister in the Home Office I saw how prohibition fails to reduce the harm
that drugs cause in the UK, fuelling burglaries, gifting the trade to gangsters and increasing
HIV infections. My experience as Defence Secretary, with specific responsibilities in
Afghanistan, showed to me that the war on drugs creates the very conditions that perpetuate
the illegal trade, while undermining international development and security.

My departure from the front benches gives me the freedom to express my long held
view that, whilst it was put in place with the best of intentions, the war on drugs has been
nothing short of a disaster.

Politicians and the media need to engage in a genuine and grown up debate about
alternatives to prohibition, so that we can build a consensus based on delivering the best
outcomes for our children and communities. I call on those on all sides of the debate to
support an independent, evidence-based review, exploring all policy options, including:
further resourcing the war on drugs, decriminalising the possession of drugs, and legally
regulating their production and supply.

One way to do this would be an Impact Assessment of the Misuse of Drugs Act in line
with the 2002 Home Affairs Select Committee finding – which included David Cameron –
for the government to explore alternatives to prohibition, including legal regulation.

The re-legalisation of alcohol in the US after thirteen years of Prohibition was not
surrender. It was a pragmatic move based on the government’s need to retake control of
the illegal trade from violent gangsters. After 50 years of global drug prohibition it is time
for governments throughout the world to repeat this shift with currently illegal drugs.”
itchytriggerniggerfingers

Although this is a good idea, I would be much more concerned with the looming police state. No point legalising drugs, if you aren't allowed to gather together in groups :idea:
venatrix

itchytriggerniggerfingers wrote :
Although this is a good idea, I would be much more concerned with the looming police state. No point legalising drugs, if you aren't allowed to gather together in groups :idea:

that's what the internet is for, der!

Yeah well, free internets may not be around for much longer with the George Soros funded Wikileaks program going spastic atm...
venatrix

Yeah well, free internets may not be around for much longer with the George Soros funded Wikileaks program going spastic atm...

No dude, really no.
tripn

that guy is spot on. legalisation is the only moral as well as practical solution to the drug issue
herbsandspices

Back on topic though...

I have had this rant before, but they have effectively decriminalised drugs here in the Czech Republic. There has, as far as I can tell, been little change in the way that hard ones are sold or produced etc- other than by the same people more openly (lots of pubs have a resident guy from west africa sitting in the corner sipping a beer waiting for the next sale). Canabis is however now more of a cottage industry. Every young bloke in town has a miny hydro and is bursting with pride over his new strain (seeds are sold in stores), and they are super keen to tell you if they did it "bio", meaning without chemical additives. To be honest there is a negative mood growing about anyone selling it at all, if you don't give it away you would be seen more or less as a tight arse. This would make a fair sized dent in Sydney's organised crime.

Also... there is sweet FA pub violence that I can see. This is in my view due to a number of factors (including cultural ones and the fact that there is no RSA law requiring bouncers to cause shit in pubs for the sake of a bloated security industry lobby), but also because the dumbasses that would normally punch on are often stoned out of their wits. This is a good thing. In fact, many small bars have papers, mullomatics, filters free for patrons- of course you couldn't do this in the old peoples pub though. Perhaps the City of Sydney could consider, as a measure to curb alcohol fueled violence which seems to be a current fetish, banning bouncers from all but those venues that require genuine crowd control and allowing people to smoke up in pubs.
tripn

decriminalisation of all drugs has been a resounding success in portugal. all the fear mongering claims were proven wrong and it has reduced crime, disease and the number of addicts. full legalisation is the next logical step.

venatrix wrote :

No dude, really no.

Explain why they want an internet kill switch then :)
venatrix

Explain why they want an internet kill switch then :)

Who is 'they'?
Meltdown
Site Admin

Weird, that speech, and those points Ainsworth made are almost identical to the arguments put forward by the main character (also a UK Minister) in Ben Elton's book "High Society". It's basically what the whole book is about. Good book too...
traveller

hmm someone else pointed that out too,
might have to read that book methinks :)
flurohero

how will all the nuclear-bombs get launched and if the internet gets shut down?
13 posts Page 1 of 1