Federal government drastic changes to drug laws

Current Events, World Discussion, Opinions etc
29 posts Page 1 of 2
Sinner

Our federal government is about to make drastic changes to the federal drug laws, which will include making thousands of plants illegal to possess. This will include most Wattles, most cacti, and many other medicinal and ritual plants. We are trying to push GetUp to pick this as their next campaign. Please go here and vote:
Each GetUp ...member can allocate up to 10 votes.
http://bit.ly/eVbxfW
http://www.ag.gov.au/www/agd/agd.nsf/Pa ... ugoffences
rollyz

1. any plant of the genus Cannabis L
1a. Any fresh or dried part of a plant of the genus Cannabis L
2. Enhanced cultivation of any plant of the genus Cannabis L
3. any plant of the genus Erythroxylum P. Browne) from which cocaine can be extracted either directly or by chemical transformation, including Erythroxylum coca Lam and Erythroxylum nova-granatense
4. Papaver bracteatum Lindley
5. Papaver somniferum L.
6. all fungi that contain PSILOCIN
7. all fungi that contain PSILOCYBIN
8. any plant containing MESCALINE including any plant of the genus Lophophora
9. any plant containing DMT including any plant of the species Piptadenia Peregrine
10. Salvia divinorum EPL. & Jativa (Diviners Sage)
11. Mitragyna speciosa Korth (Krantom)
12. Catha edulis Forsk (Khat)
13. Any species of the genus Ephedra which contains ephedrine
14. Any species of the genus Brugmansia Pers.
15. Any species of the genus Datura L.

Looks like someone has a grudge against hippies/doofers. Mind you, many plants fit into these catagories, some oly with minute traces and you would have to chop a whole forest down to get a hit. I think many of these plants have better uses than for that purpose. Hmmm, makes me think, are they going chop down half of Australia's native plants if the law passes? Will all the politicians/heads of state be fined and imprisioned due to the fact that these plants are in possession by the State and its representatives... Crown Land, National Parks, State Forests, etc?
rollyz

Funny what they are calling a precuror. Shit I use many of tese chemicals all the time. Looks like no more taxidermy, no more cleaning floors, no more treating wounds.. blah blah blah....

Acetaldehyde
Acetic anhydride
N-Acetylanthranilic acid
Allylbenzene
Allylpyrocatechol
Alpha-phenylacetoacetonitrile
4-Amino-butanoic acid
Ammonia
Ammonium formate
Anthranilic acid
Benzaldehyde
1,3-Benzodioxole
Benzyl bromide
Benzyl chloride
Boron tribromide
Bromobenzene
5-Bromo-1,3-benzodioxole
Bromo safrole
1,4-Butanediol
Calcium
1-Chlorophenyl-2-aminopropane
Chromic acid
Chromium trioxide
Ephedrine
Ergometrine
Ergotamine
Ethanamine
Ethyl phenyl acetate
N-Ethylephedrine
N-Ethylpseudoephedrine
Eugenol
Formaldehyde
Formamide
Gamma butyrolactone
Gamma hydroxybutanoic acid
Hydriodic acid
Hydrobromic acid
Hydrogen
Hydrogen chloride
Hydrogen sulfide
4-Hydroxybutanal
4-Hydroxy-butanoic acid lactone
4-Hydroxy-butanoic acid nitrile
4-Hydroxy pentanoic acid
2-Hydroxytetrahydrofuran
Hypophosphite salts
Hypophosphorous acid
Iodine
Isosafrole
Lithium
Lithium aluminium hydride
Lysergic acid
Magnesium
Mandellic acid
Mercuric chloride
Mercury
Methcathinone
Methylamine
Methylammonium salts
3,4-methylenedioxyphenylacetic acid
3,4--Methylenedioxyphenylpropan-2-one (PMK)
N-Methylformamide
N-Methyl ephedrine
Methyl phenylacetate
N-Methylpseudoephedrine
Methylstyrene
Nitroethane
Nitromethane
Norpseudoephedrine
Palladium
Phenylacetamide
Phenylacetic acid
Phenylacetonitrile
Phenylacetyl chloride
Phenylalanine
1-Phenyl -2- bromopropane
1-Phenyl-2-chloropropane
1-Phenyl -2- iodopropane
1-Phenyl-2-nitropropene
Phenylpropanolamine
1-Phenyl-2-propanol
1-Phenyl-1-Propanone
1-Phenyl-2-propanone (BMK)
1-Phenyl-2-propanone oxime
Phosphorus
Phosphorous acid
Piperidine
Piperonal
Platinum
Potassium
Propionic anhydride
Pseudoephedrine
Pyridine
2-Pyrrolidone
Raney nickel
Safrole
Sassafras oil
Sodium
Sodium bis(2-methoxyethoxy) aluminium hydride
Sodium borohydride
Sodium cyanoborohydride
Thionyl chloride
Thorium
rollyz

Actually, I think someone really has something in for the Happy High Herb shop.... :roll:
Sinner

Hi rollyz,

We are trying to build a groundswell around this thing right now, request that you pass this info on to all sympathetic ears.
FRACAS

Totally unacceptable ....
Next thing our bodies will be precursors and therefore illegal...on that note how is it that our body isnt illegal already, as it contains many of the banned compounds??
Peril

...Boddies you say,

I know where there's a whole padock full of those, they even have stone markers to make 'em easy to find!

Mick 'INXS' Should be dry by now...
herbsandspices

I've said this before, and will again. Australia has too many public servants and too few problems for them to legislate about. 10 mins every hour when the bar has to close (great idea morons),
compulsory safety catches on lighters (remember those? genius!). This is just another issue of Australia being so uptight that it's legislating itself up its own arse.

There is a lot of self congratulating that goes on in Australia ("Sydney voted worlds most livable city" "Spirit of mateship prevails") but like most self congratulation it's entirely undeserved. From the outside looking in Australia just seems over-regulated, parranoid and violent.

Back OT though, there is space in Australia for a branch of the Centre for Cognitive Liberty and Ethics. It sounds a little outside GetUp's ambit. Why not contact the centre for drug and alcohol research, they seem pretty liberal thinking, then contact academics, people in the community that are interested. Put together a public meeting and invite the AG to defend themself with the cameras rolling... Start a letter writing campaign... Set up a table on King St, at least that's how democracy used to work...
herbsandspices

Hang on a second, I re-read the article. It's Federal legislation, the power of which is limited to import and export. It's not to do with posession in your home state or territory, but rather that you will no longer be able to import said plants into Australia. Still shit, but not like it's being made out to be.
venatrix

Last edited by venatrix on Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
rollyz

Cant believe Hydrogen is going to be a controlled element. Like how am I going to power my Hydrogen powered fuel cell car now? I got my solar panels, to produce my Hydrogen with the Hydrogen converter.....
venatrix

Last edited by venatrix on Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
herbsandspices

I repeat, controlled substance under Federal legislation. You need to read the cosntitution Ven. This has nothing to do with State law (i.e. cops who police crimes around town), rather Federal authorities whose jurisdiction is limited to import / export. Certainly that's how I read it.
tract

^^ I think you read it correctly.
venatrix

So it's not the vibe? :rainbow: Rats! I'll have to find something else to be outraged about :wink:
FRACAS

herbsandspices wrote :
I repeat, controlled substance under Federal legislation. You need to read the cosntitution Ven. This has nothing to do with State law (i.e. cops who police crimes around town), rather Federal authorities whose jurisdiction is limited to import / export. Certainly that's how I read it.

What ever the case, more legislative control on plants is not a good thing.
kathmandu

skylines

rollyz wrote :
Actually, I think someone really has something in for the Happy High Herb shop.... :roll:

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/201 ... -news.html
rollyz

Do those products at Happy High actually work?
itchytriggerniggerfingers

rollyz wrote :
Do those products at Happy High actually work?

Yeah, but just like anything, using large doses of certain ingredients may not necessarily be good for you :idea:
herbsandspices

and very very small doses might not do anything Itchy...

but that's another thread. :D
venatrix

herbsandspices wrote :
and very very small doses might not do anything Itchy...

but that's another thread. :D

took a sec, but... epic win there :D
susan

can't possess acacias?
just tell em to fuck off...
herbsandspices

Even if this law is passed, you can still posess Acacias in the State of New South Wales. This law relates to import / export- it's Federal and thus limited to the Federal jurisdiction.

OK as this storm in a teacup keeps brewing, here's how your country works.

The Federal Government has limited specific powers about which it can legislate contained in s.51 of the Constitution. The only exception is when a State uses the "referral" power and surrenders its rights to the Federal Government to legislate on an issue- like for instance the fair work Australia fiasco.

The point is though EVERYTHING else is in the hands of the State Government. That is why crime in NSW is governed by the NSW crimes act, or in this particular issue the NSW Drugs (Misuse and trafficking) act (or similar I can't remember off the top of my head).

It's not up to the Federal Government to ban Acacias or anything else for that matter in NSW, they can only regulate posession in Federal areas (airports, docks et al.)

Does this help?
terry42

just wait for the shit to hit the fan when the CSIRO report done in the 70's gets leaked.

there is so many illegal things in soo many natives.

Mescalin & opiates in eucalypts for instance :P

yay, lets BAN our national Floral Emblem :p Does that mean that school uniforms will become illegal? Lets make thousands of native forests illegal.... hey , we can get GUNNS limited to cut them all down & make DMT wood chip paper :P woot! woot!
29 posts Page 1 of 2