Save the Snowy Hydro

Current Events, World Discussion, Opinions etc
21 posts Page 1 of 1
rollyz

The NSW, Victorian and Federal Governments are selling the Snowy Hydro Scheme. In this time of climate change and continued drought, the public should have an input into the future control of this vital, publicly owned asset. The sale is being pushed through despite opposition demand for a select committee inquiry into this issue. If you are against the privatisation of our greatest source of fresh water and renewable energy you can lodge and on-line protest on www.savesnowyhydro.com. For further information and a hard copy petition form, log on to www.sylvia.nsw.greens.org.au .

To quote Rev. Gordon Moyes MLC "(one)... reason we must have a select committee inquire into this issue is that the recent debate on private-public partnerships has forced us to reconsider what is in the public interest and how it needs to be maximised. One only has to say the word 'tunnel' in New South Wales and we realise the problems that can be involved in private-public partnerships. We as democratically elected members need to ensure that the decision we make will be in the public interest.

Pass this on to all you can and let these governments know we want a say in the management of our asset.

www.savesnowyhydro.com

:D

FeralBrown

WOOHAA!!!

'People power' kills Snowy Hydro sale

People power has killed plans by the federal, Victorian and NSW governments to sell iconic Australian company, Snowy Hydro.

In the face of overwhelming public opposition, from backbenchers to farmers, Prime Minister John Howard announced Canberra would withdraw its 13 per cent share of the company from sale.

Mr Howard's backflip immediately forced the hand of the majority shareholder, NSW, with an angry Premier Morris Iemma abandoning plans to sell his state's 58 per cent of the power generator.

"It's off, the PM with his statement has pulled the rug on the sale," Mr Iemma told reporters.

Minutes later it was Victoria's turn, as it too declared its stake in Snowy Hydro - 29 per cent - would not be sold.

Mr Howard admitted to misreading the public's attitude towards the sale, saying it was clear people had an attachment to the Snowy and its role in Australia's post-war development.

"I have been surprised by the level of public disquiet - it's turned out to be much greater than I expected," he told reporters.

"There is, for whatever combination of reasons, there is overwhelming feeling in the community that the Snowy is an icon, it's part of the great saga of post-World War II development in Australia."

But Mr Iemma said Mr Howard had put at risk schools, roads and other infrastructure in NSW with his decision.

NSW had been counting to raise at least $1.5 billion from the sale.

He said the NSW government could not afford to fund Snowy Hydro's expansion, which ultimately meant the company would suffer.

"If Snowy Hydro Ltd does not invest interstate, its competitors will and Snowy Hydro will face increased competition and lose market share," he said.

"The NSW government still believes NSW taxpayers' funds should be spent in NSW, to build schools, hospitals and infrastructure. It should not be spent building power stations and in SA and Victoria."

Victorian Premier Steve Bracks said Mr Howard's backflip had put a question mark over every other proposed asset sale.

"Only a couple of days ago the prime minister was gung-ho. It really raises into question the government's commitment to sell and privatise Telstra ... and Medibank Private," he said.

For those opposed to the sale, however, Mr Howard's decision - and that of the states after him - could not have been better.

Nationals' backbencher Kay Hull said she was delighted with the decision.

"No government will ever have the guts to do this again. Bury this forever," she said.

"It's over and I'm very emotionally exhausted."

The mayor of the Snowy River Shire, Richard Wallace, said Australian politics had been turned on its head by the victory.

"The fact that we won, that the sale was called off, shows the government has to stop and listen to what the people are saying," he said.

Prominent Australians who signed a letter delivered to federal parliament this week, opposing the sale, also felt vindicated.

Doug Nicholas, who delivered the letter, said politicians were now all on notice the public would not take poor decisions lying down.

"It's a very good first step and a great warning to Australians about allowing any government to have absolute power," he said.

Former Reserve Bank governor Bernie Fraser said the three governments had put the short-term financial gains of the sale ahead of the nation's long-term interests.

"Apart from having substantial historical significance, it has great ongoing and future significance, particularly through the Snowy's contribution to the health of river systems in that part of the country," he said of Snowy Hydro.

Opposition Leader Kim Beazley was caught by surprise by the announcement, but said Mr Howard should now do a backflip on the proposed sale of Telstra.

"You've done a backflip on this and you are prepared to accept the minority shareholder status in the Snowy River, (now do a) backflip on Telstra," Mr Beazley told ABC radio.

But not everyone was happy.

Financial analysts said there was no good reason to abandon the sale, with Australia's business reputation now in tatters.

"The loser is Australia because we become a laughing stock on the international stage," Stock Analysis analyst Peter Strachan said.

"What this shows is that the government is standing in the way of commerce."

The three governments also face a $20 million payout to the three companies engaged to market the sale.

spangk

I know, how sic is this. So whats a hydro electric system? Not infrastructure? Iemma pull ya finger out dude.

How many ppl will be grinning happily tonight? Everywhere!

:clap: :dance: :clap: :dance: :clap: :dance: :clap: :dance: :clap: :dance: :clap: :dance: :clap:

SamuraiJack

Pretty sic. Until they sell it.

Gotta love governments strategy of selling off profitable assests to pay short term costs.

spangk

This swing of Howards is possbily a pretty brilliant strategy as far as strategies go (or is he really the great guy I keep hearing he is). It`ll prove a powerful argument in his defence for future issues/ attacks for a long time to come.

Dr. Scientist

howard is known for turnarounds. He first got elected on the promise that he is against GST, his second term saw the introduction of the GST. When questioned , he stated that was his first term promise and he said nothing of it for his second term promises.

Just because it isnt happening now doesnt mean it wont happen.

All that has been done by "people power" is delay an otherwise surething, or maybe provide an excuse to raise taxes or the like.

Either way a delay is a good thing, gives people time to regroup and form a more concrete strategy to ensure it remains a public asset.

SamuraiJack

This is one of the things that makes me want to taste hot blood as hamlet would have said if he wasn't a fictional character.

When you sell off profitable assests, you have less money coming in. Guess what you have to do then?

Raise fucking taxes.

"We've got the biggest surplus ever because we've sold off every single fucking thing we own!"

itchytriggerniggerfingers

SamuraiJack wrote :
Pretty sic. Until they sell it.

Gotta love governments strategy of selling off profitable assests to pay short term costs.

Yes, but the government is only implementing what the world bank is telling them to do otherwise they will lower our credit rating (like holding a gun to our head.) Its all part of the masterplan. Nothing to do with liberal or labour except they promote the deal to the voters.

rollyz

I wonder if the mentality of selling everything off, relates to the fact that the new private companies will have to pay taxes.....a wind fall to the govt... but... of course the companies will be smart enought to work out tax deductions, and so negative gear and the govt. will have to give back bigger tax returns.....duh!

Oh well, next they will build a few nuclear power stations and if they become profitable, they will sell them off also..... :roll:

Zara2stra

Saved! :)

waapwoop

People think that the people sasved the snowy.... that a public outcry swayed teh government.
I keep reading this everywhere. What a load of crap. The biggest public outcry was against the Iraq war, that I can remember anyway. That didn't change a thing.

Howard pulled off a politcal stunt that left the state Labor governments look silly and the NSW one in the red.

muggjuggle

Howard pulled off a politcal stunt that left the state Labor governments look silly and the NSW one in the red.

...and even more likely to be out on its arse come election time early next year. This is doubtless a consideration for Johnny and Co. as they continue to attempt to break the labour stranglehold across state and territory governments.

Nonetheless, there are so many angles to the politics of this particular Howard 'backflip' it is seriously not worth getting bogged down in. As has already been noted in this thread this decision has little do with people power. This government has demonstrated time and again that it will pursue it's preferred policies in the face of all opposition so long as their particular (as opposed to the ones which we are supposedly informed of) ends are progressed.

And now might I introduce to our good citizens the nuclear debate. Much like the Cole Enquiry (goodness wasn't that fun; when was it again?) it will be contained within rigid terms of reference allowing for nothing but the desired outcomes. Fortunately we have a largely compliant media which will, again, ensure that the right horse is a bolter. Giddyup!

rollyz

waapwoop wrote :
The biggest public outcry was against the Iraq war, that I can remember anyway. That didn't change a thing.

What out cry... harld anybody lifted a finger against the Iraq war. A days protest... whoopie do... get nobody knows how to protest today. Look how they did it back in the 60s. Block the streets, stay out door for days, distrup the economy... etc these days its wave a flag, and be home in time for dinner and the Simpsons... We need a real WAR and let people of today know what real hardship is. I admire our grandparents, they went through shit, but thanks to them we do have it very easy. But it is sad how they as old pensioners are being treated like shit again. One day todays young Emos will be old before they can blink an eye, and wont they be in the shit... :P hahahazar

waapwoop

rollyz wrote :
waapwoop wrote :
The biggest public outcry was against the Iraq war, that I can remember anyway. That didn't change a thing.

What out cry... harld anybody lifted a finger against the Iraq war. A days protest... whoopie do... get nobody knows how to protest today. Look how they did it back in the 60s. Block the streets, stay out door for days, distrup the economy... etc these days its wave a flag, and be home in time for dinner and the Simpsons... We need a real WAR and let people of today know what real hardship is. I admire our grandparents, they went through shit, but thanks to them we do have it very easy. But it is sad how they as old pensioners are being treated like shit again. One day todays young Emos will be old before they can blink an eye, and wont they be in the shit... :P hahahazar

there was a bigger outcry against the war than there was about the snowy sell off.

Lance

rollyz wrote :
We need a real WAR and let people of today know what real hardship is.

good thinking :D we need a real war! :D :thumb:

rollyz

no, the snow sell off was more clever. Email, and letters protested and directed to the powers to be. I go more info sent to me by people in the know, than anything about Iraq.

rollyz

Lance wrote :
rollyz wrote :
We need a real WAR and let people of today know what real hardship is.

good thinking :D we need a real war! :D :thumb:

Yes I do come up with wonderful ideas, my next one Lance is to give you a good kick up the bum :P

waapwoop

rollyz wrote :
no, the snow sell off was more clever. Email, and letters protested and directed to the powers to be. I go more info sent to me by people in the know, than anything about Iraq.

maybe you are right, who knows... fact remains that if the government wanted to do it, they would have done it anyway, regardless of how many "emails" you recieved.

spangk

waapwoop wrote :
rollyz wrote :

maybe you are right, who knows... fact remains that if the government wanted to do it, they would have done it anyway, regardless of how many "emails" you recieved.

He's right about the emails and general letter writing etc. It didn't hit the TV that much as such..was in the papers.. a bit I remember. However emails and letter writing etc. There was to be a big protest the Tues after it got canned.

waapwoop your thoughts were my very first reactions too. I'll add to that the upcoming move to increase Newcastles coal exports by 65%. Embarking on expansion in the mining and exporting of Uranium. As well as the up coming push for Australia to become the waste ground for the waste from the Uranium industry known as nuclear waste.

It's good to at least know that our government is willing to take on the resposibility of disposing of the subsatnce which our nation is about to become very rich off`v. Happy days people :)

waapwoop

Well i don't know how it relates to anything nuclear.

However litte Johnny comes off looking like he does care about public opinion, and now he has saved a great australian icon. People might now be fooled into thinking that the government cares about what people think. Unfortunately for those against Workchoices.

Fact is, if the governments went ahead with the sale, there would be nothing "the people" could have done about it, no matter how much "clever" letter writing and emails. People wouldn't even vote out the government, as it was a plan of both state labor and federal coalition... So the blame would have been spread on both sides.

spangk

waapwoop wrote :
Well i don't know how it relates to anything nuclear.

It relates to public opinion, the Snowy could be the pretty ribbon in Howards hair, climate change is sinking into ppl reality a lot more than it used to. It looks a presentable package for the ignorant plenty. Promoting the selling and mining of uranium as a cleaner alternative. I mean one must consider Howards dedication to cleaner energy: see - keep the Snowy Mtn Hydro Scheme alive and Australian.

Either way, for now it's there and it's ours, thats a good.
21 posts Page 1 of 1