Mels not well

Current Events, World Discussion, Opinions etc
47 posts Page 2 of 2

Apegod

Slammed like a bitch on a pissed stained matress.

SamuraiJack

tripn wrote :
FeralBrown wrote :
zara- I agree with you... China rocks it hard! MILLIONS of happy citizens, with EVERYTHING to look forward to!

slammed!

Could have added how great Soviet era Russia was as well.

infinafta

SamuraiJack wrote :
tripn wrote :
FeralBrown wrote :
zara- I agree with you... China rocks it hard! MILLIONS of happy citizens, with EVERYTHING to look forward to!

slammed!

Well I, for one, certainly enjoyed it.

FeralBrown

SamuraiJack wrote :
tripn wrote :
FeralBrown wrote :

slammed!

I was going to... but I decided one example was good enough to "expose the folly of his ways"...

Esoterica2000-III

Don't forget Cuba... although at least there are a few more positives from that regime.

FeralBrown

Esoterica2000-III wrote :
Don't forget Cuba... although at least there are a few more positives from that regime.

lol... in the post I JUST MADE, I was gonna mention that, too... :lol:

poor Zara2stra... so in need of saying *something* that's actually right... :(

flurohero

well on topic i felt totally dissapointed that "mel" tried to crawl up arse when he sobered up .he is not a true heroic "baccanalian".
i did enjoy the mechanisms the men behind the curtains of holy-wood pulled on him tho!he just foldedup and went down sobbinglike a pansy boy <yeah blame "alcholism">.
i guess there was somekind of simmering discontent/resentment somewhere or rather.

silly the kid

all the examples of "non religious" states were communist states right? so that's the difference between being anti religious and "largely secular."

id guess fundamentalist religion provides "nutters" with a strong enough stance from which to control their own malicious intentions and interfering thoughts etc. it also gives people with specific angers a platform and a good direction and to aim them.

id say the simmering discontent that flurohero mentioned would be just standard getting the shits with the culture of people who have a lot of power. the rest would just be just be drunken rambling with touch of mild conspiracy
theory.

phoney

from wiki:

Statistics regarding the number of atheists in the world are difficult to interpret because different people interpret "atheist" and related terms differently, boundary-drawing problems with non-theistic religious and spiritual beliefs, the lack of a unified belief system, lumping together of atheists and non-religious people, and due to social stigma, discrimination, and persecution in some countries. Though atheists are in the minority in most countries, they are relatively common in Western Europe, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, in former and present Communist states, and, to a lesser extent, in the United States. A 1995 survey attributed to the Encyclopædia Britannica indicates that the non-religious are about 14.7% of the world's population, and atheists around 3.8%.

As far as "communist" states are concerned, China is 59% Athiest, Cuba has a large majority catholic population and the Soviet Union had a large majority Russian Orthadox population.

silly the kid

isn't atheism a fairly reactionary position? even cultures where there the main religion is supposed to be atheist end up deifying someone or something.

phoney

I beleive the atheism FAQ's may be of help to you :)

http://www.atheistfoundation.org.au/faq.htm

FeralBrown

silly the kid wrote :
isn't atheism a fairly reactionary position? even cultures where there the main religion is supposed to be atheist end up deifying someone or something.

yep.
And what about the number of "agnostics" in each of those countries... put together with atheism, I think you'll find the vast majority are "non-religious" or "anti-religious"...
and as for people being "Catholic", it often turns out more of a "Jewish"-type situation, in-as-much as people tend to almost identify themselves with it "racially" (or whatever the similar term is) rather than ideologically (broad e.g. the huge number of Italians who profess to be Catholic)...

FeralBrown

this is getting dragged pretty far off-topic, but:
Atheists have no written revelations, no god or gods and do not accept the existence of a supernatural realm or a creative super-being as no evidence demands that they do. Atheism is therefore a rational evaluation of nature, whilst religions result from imaginative guessing.

Science is a written revelation.
Also... demanding evidence that you won't necessarily recognize is just as stupid as believing something is evidence, just because someone told you it is.

I like atheists, their rationalism (or need for) is valid, for sure, but they have this tendancy to get stuck in those "what-the-fuck-is-real" loops a lot quicker and easier than others (from personal experience) if they're genuine thinkers to start with... but again, a whole lot of 'em turn out to be reactionaries, like Silly said...
Last edited by FeralBrown on Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

silly the kid

phoney wrote :
I beleive the atheism FAQ's may be of help to you :)

http://www.atheistfoundation.org.au/faq.htm

Thankyou. That confirmed my suspicions.

phoney

FeralBrown wrote :
Atheists have no written revelations, no god or gods and do not accept the existence of a supernatural realm or a creative super-being as no evidence demands that they do. Atheism is therefore a rational evaluation of nature, whilst religions result from imaginative guessing.

Science is a written revelation.
Also... demanding evidence that you won't necessarily recognize is just as stupid as believing something is evidence, just because someone told you it is.

I like atheists, their rationalism (or need for) is valid, for sure, but they have this tendancy to get stuck in those "what-the-fuck-is-real" loops a lot quicker and easier than others (from personal experience) if they're genuine thinkers to start with... but again, a whole lot of 'em turn out to be reactionaries, like Silly said...

I consider myself as atheist as they come. Ill be the first to admit that theres a lot of things out there which science and I cannot explain. However unlike religious folk, I dont really feel any need to know why those things are the way they are. I dont feel like something is missing from my life because I dont know "why we're here" and im more than happy to write it off as simply "I dont know, and I dont really give a fuck" as opposed to dreaming up stories about "fictional" beings to make me feel more comfy.

I much prefer to beleive in myself (I actually was once a Satanist which taught me a lot about that) :)

Ive never found myself stuck in a loop questioning what is or isnt real. I focus on what I do know, and what has been scientifically proven and im happy with that :)

FeralBrown

phoney wrote :
Ive never found myself stuck in a loop questioning what is or isnt real. I focus on what I do know, and what has been scientifically proven and im happy with that :)

Religion isn't really supposed to make you comfortable... but anyway...
you explained exactly why you don't get stuck in those loops, too (and it's a good thing, for sure) and that's because you're happy to write stuff off as "I don't know, and don't give a fuck"... what I've witnessed a lot of is people WANTING PROOF that they're right, just because there isn't proof that someone else is wrong (or right)... as far as I've seen, the world (perceived and real)gets messy when people operate like that.

SamuraiJack

KUMITE.

Zara2stra

What I said is true, provided that the secularism is a matter of choice.

Zara2stra

FeralBrown wrote :

Not a bad definition. But yeah, what's with the bit about 'written revelations'? Perhaps he means no holy text?

Zara2stra

phoney wrote :
A 1995 survey attributed to the Encyclopædia Britannica indicates that the non-religious are about 14.7% of the world's population, and atheists around 3.8%.

So there are 10.9% who believe in God or gods but who aren't religious?

FeralBrown

Zara2stra wrote :
phoney wrote :
A 1995 survey attributed to the Encyclopædia Britannica indicates that the non-religious are about 14.7% of the world's population, and atheists around 3.8%.

So there are 10.9% who believe in God but who aren't religious?

they are the agnostics I was mentioning...

Zara2stra

Oh yeah, forgot about them...
47 posts Page 2 of 2