ANVIL HILL WOOTAGE!!!

Current Events, World Discussion, Opinions etc
18 posts Page 1 of 1
VJ DAMAGE

yip!!

" Australia — A landmark court ruling puts pressure on Australian governments to ditch polluting coal and protect our climate.
The New South Wales Land and Environment Court rejected the environmental assessment for the Anvil Hill coal mine. The decision sets a precedent for future mining projects in the state.

The court found that Centennial Coal, the developer of the Anvil Hill mine, failed to adequately consider the climate impacts of their proposed mine because the environmental assessment did not assess the greenhouse emissions from the burning of the coal that the mine will produce if approved. The ruling means that future mining developments in the state will need to consider their impact on climate change."

http://www.greenpeace.org/australia/news-and-events/news/Climate-change/Anvil-Hill-polluter

briandubb

That is a landmark decision. I really thought this was a done deal and that the mine would go ahead.

Good on all those who fought the good fight :D

spangk

Yes, surprises are going to keep unfolding... it's a tidal thing.

In the past the industry has been able to brush off the complaints. Employing tens of thousands of workers, providing hundreds of millions of dollars in state royalties revenues, supplying cheap power to industry and making a huge export contribution, it received bi-partisan political support.

But times are changing. Coal is widely recognised as a major climate change culprit that is contributing to rising global temperatures and sea levels, and more frequent and more fierce storms and bushfires.

The industry's economic credentials are looking weaker, too, after an analysis released by the British Government in October concluded that the economic cost of ignoring climate change was far greater than the cost of cutting greenhouse emissions.

Pressure is being applied to the industry from new and unlikely sources. The retailer Gerry Harvey, the ad man John Singleton and the broadcaster Alan Jones, for example, are angry about the threat from coalmining to the Upper Hunter's thoroughbred industry, in which they have invested millions.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/kin ... 95008.html

"Withdrawing our coal exports to crunch supply in the hope of encouraging the use of alternative sources of energy wouldn't even rate a hiccup," says the chief executive of the NSW Minerals Council, Dr Nikki Williams. "World coal consumption is roughly 5 billion of tonnes per year. Our state exports around 89 million tonnes per year, so it is a drop in the ocean compared to the global demand and consumption …
http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/king-coal-under-siege/2006/12/01/1164777795008.html?page=5

A drop in the ocean? Really? How many drops are there really in the ocean, cause i just got out my calculaxor and it says....
89 000 000/5 000 000 000 = 1.78% So a drop = 1.78% of the ocean WTF (!)

... not that this is really the issue is it? We're not asking the current mines to close, just not to expand ANY MORE. Right?

Then I consider the expansion of the coal export terminal at newcastle, which will increase export capacity by approx 60-65%...

Adding the Anvil annual potential creeps it up to 1.98% (which means 50 lots of them is responsible), then there's more proposed mines to come, as well as the expansion of existing ones ;-)
...anyways it makes no sense. Things will change, but i think we'll be making the way on our own, communities, investing our own super to finance our renewable energy systems :-) (fuk the government) they will then follow suit, too late(!) The long term loss of potential income/investment in the renewable energy energy industry.. Australia will be doing all the importing then AND we'll have no food to barter with. No fukn water will we...

spangk

briandubb wrote :
That is a landmark decision. I really thought this was a done deal and that the mine would go ahead.

Good on all those who fought the good fight :D

The mine hasn't been stopped, way layed pending re-assessing under new ruling i suspect. We're still fighting ;-) Still, the emissions assessment in the EA will be more realistic for Anvil Hill and those in the future! yAy... babysteps are exciting too!

Guitar Wolf-Jett Love!

Yaaaay! thats really good news.

SamuraiJack

Yeah maybe. I like that write up that pointed out that isn't going to stop any more coal being burnt.

It's just going to mean we're not getting the moneys.

flurohero

it does seem quite suspiscious???
"nice" but really suspiscious!

im freaking out that there seems to be some weird downturn in the corporate fascism level embedded in australian kultur?

get readyforthe "nuclear-poison-forever" stuff coming up shortly!

silly the kid

according to the one talk I heard a while back about the Spiral Dynamics model everyone is about to turn into psuedo hippie/greenies. And they are supposed to be even worse facists because they decide by consensus what is right and then enforce it on everyone thinking they have some kind of noble mandate or something.
obviously its just a theory so probably not quite as simple as that...but there may be something to it.

flurohero

"according to the one talk I heard a while back about the Spiral Dynamics model everyone is about to turn into psuedo hippie/greenies. And they are supposed to be even worse facists because they decide by consensus what is right and then enforce it on everyone thinking they have some kind of noble mandate or something.
obviously its just a theory so probably not quite as simple as that...but there may be something to it."

>"kommercial-p$y-trance-affluent student-in-hippie-phase-politik" is too popular for my liking already!!!<cover your necks!>

spangk

Isn't that just a standard student phase :p ?

..and on that theory. What is it based on? I have no idea what a Spiral Dynamics model is. Timing is everything right? ABOUT (?) to? Seems a big statement when environmental/ humanitarian based movements have been evolving for so long now, growing and dying back, making mistakes, learning... having dickheads use and abuse the cause... it's been a slow progression has it not? So now someone AGAIN jumps on the wagon and claims to predict a SUDDEN arising of... pseudo.. really, see statement at top of this post ;-)

Zara2stra

Maybe we ought to stop mining coal. Then, in 500 years time, we'll be calling the shots. A bit like Leto II and his Spice hoard.

silly the kid

spangk...yep probably a bit of an unnessesary tangent but I was responding to what flurohero said about facists...just made me remember the theory and the bit about greenies being potential facists.

i really know bugger all other than a bit of an overview. psuedo just meant they will shop at Tree of Life etc but still wear deoderant. Also unlikely that people will start chaining themselves to trees on mass...but will talk and vote with greenie principles.

its a theory, apparently derived from research into social systems, of different phases of social thinking, tracking a progression through common ''memes'' band-->tribe-->warlord-->law&order-->capitalist-->greenie-->neo individualist-->something something and so on

Each phase is in part a reaction to some perceived problem with the prior phase. Phases swap back and forth from individual mindedness to group mindedness to individual to group and so on with each change. In an individual phase people look after their own interests first...in a group phase, people look after the groups interests first. (eg. band=individual--> tribe=group.....capitalist=individual--> greenie=group).

I think we think of it as a student phase because they are the first bunches (since the 1960/70`s) to go through it in large numbers. So maybe its going to (mabye already is) get even bigger and spread throughout society.

The problem is supposed to be that it involves a kind of blinkered facist thinking where once it has been decided by the group that something is good or bad...then everyone must do it or not do it. This leads to oversimplification of issues. Also the problems that SamuraiJack and Infinafta seem to be trying to point out that Greenies think everything is going to be OK we just need to be nice to each other. This is supposed to be a major weakness that lets societies and groups of people who are still in their tribal--->warlord phases take advantage of them.

/end tangent

SamuraiJack

Zara2stra wrote :
Maybe we ought to stop mining coal. Then, in 500 years time, we'll be calling the shots. A bit like Leto II and his Spice hoard.

Sacre bleu! Your first ever "POST OF THE THREAD" outstripping even flurohero!

In fact, I thought it WAS flurohero!

HUZZAH!

tripn

SamuraiJack wrote :
Zara2stra wrote :

Sacre bleu! Your first ever "POST OF THE THREAD" outstripping even flurohero!

In fact, I thought it WAS flurohero!

HUZZAH!

would be good except that its not true. in 500 years time coal burning will be an outdated form of energy production which people will no longer be using and so our supply will be useless.

SamuraiJack

Irrelevant. Still funny.

flurohero

i can imagine somthing like that is going on up at muswelbrook ,pure sceince fiction "black-spice " tyranny already.<2006-except it's got two heads and the body of some kind of reptile,no-necked mining subhumanoids from planet "cessnock",mutated"space navigator" truck drivers,evil dwarf like accountants and office workers.big machines!>.anyway get up there for a look !you may appreciate the "time warp".
what the fuck weird language is that they speak up there anyway?

SamuraiJack

Sasketchewanese.

flurohero

>heryer-goun-ma?-hello!<3sylables>

>cee-yam-ma!-goodbye!
18 posts Page 1 of 1