Earthdance hates Psytrance

Party & Festival Reviews from around the country.
154 posts Page 1 of 7
pinkitty

It has seemed like Earthdance has, for the last couple of years, been pushing the Psytrance scene away in favour of the more "popular" styles of dance music.
I am not 100% sure but I was under the impression that is was the Psytrance scene that started it.
Saturday nights party was really really hard work if you are into Psytrance. The music was fun but the venue sucked arse. I can honestly say I have never been in a more disgusting and off putting venue in my life. The dance floor was a washing machine because the lift was located at one end and the bar the other and there were no speakers up the back so everyone had to squash down the front and squash they did. I was trampled all night by twats that had no idea that dancing is not a contact sport. There were just too many people.
I went to the upstairs rooms and they were playing more "popular" music and there was not as many people as in the Psytrance room. Why didn't we get a bigger room? Maybe its because the Earthdance people don't like us any more
:cry:

gher

Hey maybe the psy and DnB stages will be on the opposite side of the park to all the munted kiddies this year.

Pete_Paranoid

:lol: You kids need to get out more!

Spiral @ Earth Dance Festival

I'll miss you guys but when the prayer for peace comes I know we will be together!

STEVONOISEMAKER

As far as I know this is true, the earthdance global movement was founded by doofers with the majority of parties around the world featuring psytrance mainstage. but sadly our Sydney day of fun has large focus on minimal/prog/electro/house etc. I’ve been to 2 earthdances in Europe and both had psy mainstage and a couple of other UNDERGROUND music stages.

The hardest part for me to fathom was the fact that both past Sydney earthdances have seen the psy stage end earlier and the minimalish main stage continue longer. Could possibly have something to do with noise issues but who knows.

This issue was brought up on inthemix forums not long ago also, and apparently there won’t be any electro stage this year, so hopefully the munters will find the tunes too underground and non-cheesy and rush home to listen to some pnau and sneaky sound system:p

All in all though, we should be grateful we do get to enjoy a day of stomping to psy in the heart of the city and one heck of a quality event:)

jaimz

STEVONOISEMAKER wrote :
As far as I know this is true, the earthdance global movement was founded by doofers with the majority of parties around the world featuring psytrance mainstage. but sadly our Sydney day of fun has large focus on minimal/prog/electro/house etc. I’ve been to 2 earthdances in Europe and both had psy mainstage and a couple of other UNDERGROUND music stages.

Earthdance was founded by Chris Dekker in 1996. While it originally started as a synchronised goatrance style party it was never Chris's intention for it to remain like this. It was always meant to grow to be as accessible as possible while keeping its messages of peace, harmony and unity. Once Chris moved to San Francisco in 1999 he already began to move the SF Earthdance - considering the 'hub' global Earthdance event - toward a more diverse musical spectrum. Check the lineups for the SF Earthdance, and you'll find psytrance plays a MUCH smaller role than other events.

Unfortunately most other Earthdance events in Europe have failed to grow out of their goatrance party roots and continue to just put the same thing on, year to year.

Personally I'm quite impressed to see what Sydney Earthdance has become - it is truly a unique event on the Sydney calendar and it's fantastic to have a free dance in the park once a year, and every year the psytrance stage is package with solid tunes pumping on a decent system to thousands of up for it punters.

gher

STEVONOISEMAKER wrote :
This issue was brought up on inthemix forums not long ago also, and apparently there won’t be any electro stage this year, so hopefully the munters will find the tunes too underground and non-cheesy and rush home to listen to some pnau and sneaky sound system:p

Huzzah! Except it looked like electro was a pretty big attraction of the launch party.

I think a large part of the problem is that the people the electro stage(s) attract completely miss the point of Earthdance and just use it as an excuse to get trashed. Same thing happened with Surry Hills Festival.

Sure, a lot of the psy and DnB people do the same thing but they're generally more pleasant to deal with.

herbsandspices

At the outset I'm with Jaimz on the evolution of events, and refuse to chuck turds at that crew for the good work they do. Without this sort of stuff going on dance music wouldn't get it's generally lazy arse acknowledged as an artform.

But... it's been said before here, and I am inclined to agree, that earthdance would now no longer suffer from a smaller, psytrance oriented side event put on in the same spirit, but elsewhere.

STEVONOISEMAKER

gher wrote :

Sure, a lot of the psy and DnB people do the same thing but they're generally more pleasant to deal with.

Indeed.
In my opinion the psy and dnb peoples that abuse the substances are generally wiser and keep an eye out for each other also.
The youngens in their supre tops that come for the electro and such seem to come solely for the purpose of munching as many round ones as they can, cos it’s cool!

There was a bunch of littlies that had to be carted out in ambos last year, put a negative spin on the day for many people unfortunately.

gher

I remember people being carted off at the end of the event - in front of children no less. Was that it?

STEVONOISEMAKER

Yeah I think so, I didn’t see it but some mates of mine did.

Was a bunch of teenieboppers on gbh or something.

Tards.

Don’t get me wrong, substance abuse is great fun, but using doofs as evidence, there is safe and friendly way to getting off chops, happily coexisting alongside kids and puppies, and then there’s being a munted retard, which has no place at a festival or day event.

Pete_Paranoid

Fighting at a peace event, for fuck's sake creeps!

Earthdance Byron Bay 06

gher

Oh yeah. We have that here too.

Pete_Paranoid

Some Bryon Bay Earthdance 07 photos displayed on Oztrance
Photo by Bon

Photo by Bon

Photo by Beelouw frixie

Pete_Paranoid wrote :
Not sure if this will be a good review, and I wish a had a digital camera (to show you pics including seeing a double rainbow, an ubiquitous "one planet" road sign, as well as some party photos,) but I shall do my best.

The event went from around 7pm Saturday, to around 3pm Sunday, and was located at the beautiful Mt Pikapene State forest. It started with a visit from the police, but I am happy to report no dramas here, and I feel I must personally thank them for their support of this world wide charity event. The sound system was a 10-12k system including six large centre mono bass bins and two floating top boxes on a tripod. Around 300 people turned up, we had expected more to come. There was beautiful and colourful artwork all around the dance floor. Their was some great music especially due to the circumstances.
I had just finished joking about a Sydney doof where we all sitting around saying "hey it’s raining, the dj equipment is getting wet, we better put a tarp on the dome" and setting up, when lightning started to flash, and the crowd went wild. It was all happening at exactly the wrong time.:? rotflmao.
Quickly my adrenaline kicked in and I placed a tarp over the dome and the p.a. whilst the crowd continued to dance in the rain. Then it really started to pelt down, and the majority had decided to find shelter, I was already soaked and lost a (loom) line so decided what the hell, and danced in the rain, before finding shelter in my van, and slept for a couple of hours. I awoke, just before sunrise and the rain had cleared, to some energetic morning sets. I danced until it the weather became to hot for me, and once I retreated to the van once again, hoping to get enough sleep to pack up the half drenched mess. I really wish it rained some more before the event so could go to the nearby creek and have a wash and go skinny dipping. After going for a walk through the lush forest, and um-ing and rrr-ing a bit, I decided to snap out of it, and danced to the end of the event.

Below is a youtube of "jumping jack flash" by The Rolling Stones, I heard it on the radio returning home. I think it sums up my north nsw adventure beautify:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7I2bUhpuftk

Lost and Found
(When they say "Leave nothing but footprints" this is not what they mean.)

One pair of ladies shoes, a hula hoop, an umbrella, and a pair of scissors. I’ll probably send a message to Oztrance and the event organisers when I get a chance. Any unclaimed items will be placed in a st. vinnies bin.

Thanks to the event organisers and my north nsw friends new and old for a wonderful holiday. I hope to meet you again very, very soon.

Pete

rollyz

hmmmm... well why don't we just put the 3 day Earthdance festivals back on? Yes, keep the one day shing ding for all those whoosie city club folk, but put on the 3 dayer for those who want the real experience. Who knows a few mini busses could be used to transfer the 1 dayer punters to the 3 day event if they want more! :twisted:

D-Psyfa

So are you suggesting 2 separate Earthdance festivals on the same weekend?
One for the people that don't want to party with the other people, and another for the other people that the people don't like to party with??????

I agree that the message may somewhat have been overlooked by the masses of punters there for the fun only. That said....... I don't think Earthdance was ever going to make a difference overnight. It may take a year or two, or it may take a decade or more. The fact that Earthdance has grown so much means that there is now a vehicle for delivering a message to the masses.

Earthdance is a community event and if anyone feels they have something to offer in terms of strengthening the message and the education delivered through this vehicle, then we would love to hear your ideas and perhaps use your involvement. Anyone is welcome to join in and help out and we need all the help we can get!!!!

If you miss the good vibes you got from the nice intimate gatherings in the bush, these events do still exist, but kinda without the Earthdance title. Unfortunately without the masses, change will not eventuate!! Similarly, with the masses joining in, we are confronted with a massive list of challenges that we must overcome along the way to achieving the ultimate goal.

Tolerance, compassion, love, hate and all these words were going to be used to finish what I was trying to say....I lost my chain of thought now.......but I did have a point to make (or an opinion to give...something like that)
Last edited by D-Psyfa on Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

STEVONOISEMAKER

we were actually thinking of this but not sure if they allow more than one in each city.

haha, then again we could just call it wollongong earthdance or newcastle earthdance or something:P

D-Psyfa

STEVONOISEMAKER wrote :
we were actually thinking of this but not sure if they allow more than one in each city.

haha, then again we could just call it wollongong earthdance or newcastle earthdance or something:P

Yep, good point. Still plenty of cities left....Imagine if we could get to the point of having a gathering in every major centre around Australia.

rollyz

The ULTIMATE goal is to have the WHOLE world dancing together! So eventually there should be at least 10 Earthdance festivals in Sydney alone, and at least one in every town and city outside each capital.

D-Psyfa

oh yeah.........shut down the city and make it a street party (love parade stylez)

STEVONOISEMAKER

global love parade:)

tripn

D-Psyfa wrote :

If you miss the good vibes you got from the nice intimate gatherings in the bush, these events do still exist, but kinda without the Earthdance title.

and without the wanky hand holding ritual that achieves jack shit. just good music in a good dancing environment with no 'interruptions'.

Woody

still was a Great party... even with Shok!s F%^&ing antics..

ATREYU

D-Psyfa wrote :
So are you suggesting 2 separate Earthdance festivals on the same weekend?
One for the people that don't want to party with the other people, and another for the other people that the people don't like to party with??????

I agree that the message may somewhat have been overlooked by the masses of punters there for the fun only. That said....... I don't think Earthdance was ever going to make a difference overnight. It may take a year or two, or it may take a decade or more. The fact that Earthdance has grown so much means that there is now a vehicle for delivering a message to the masses.

Earthdance is a community event and if anyone feels they have something to offer in terms of strengthening the message and the education delivered through this vehicle, then we would love to hear your ideas and perhaps use your involvement. Anyone is welcome to join in and help out and we need all the help we can get!!!!

If you miss the good vibes you got from the nice intimate gatherings in the bush, these events do still exist, but kinda without the Earthdance title. Unfortunately without the masses, change will not eventuate!! Similarly, with the masses joining in, we are confronted with a massive list of challenges that we must overcome along the way to achieving the ultimate goal.

Tolerance, compassion, love, hate and all these words were going to be used to finish what I was trying to say....I lost my chain of thought now.......but I did have a point to make (or an opinion to give...something like that)

Every year i say the same thing. Sorry for the broken record but:

The Circle in the morning and the Prayer for peace track is what its all about. Now the party starts at 9 am in the morning on the Sunday this prime ingrediant is wasted.

The Psy Scene should be able to have its own "proper" earthdance party in the bush for 3 days again.

I think its all well and good to promote this event to the mainstream, but the mainstream mostly has noo concept of what the event is all about.

I feel nothing sacred about 5000 people getting pissed in the park , with sniffer dogs, big detention centre style fences and overpriced food and booze. Last year was a massive mess. I couldn't wait to escape. Not to mention the supa cheesy commercial crap Psy that was being played on the Brazillian stage.

ATREYU

tripn wrote :
D-Psyfa wrote :

If you miss the good vibes you got from the nice intimate gatherings in the bush, these events do still exist, but kinda without the Earthdance title.

and without the wanky hand holding ritual that achieves jack shit. just good music in a good dancing environment with no 'interruptions'.

You are wrong. This moment shows everyone why they are there. Connect your energies and pray for world peace. THATS WHAT EARTHDANCE IS ABOUT.

Duh

phoney

ATREYU wrote :
The Psy Scene should be able to have its own "proper" earthdance party in the bush for 3 days again.

Theres nothing stopping you from putting on your own "proper" earthdance in the bush. Basically you register here, put on a party, and call it Earthdance. :)

ps: People have been praying for peace, love and mungbeans for 10000+ years, the only thing it acheives is deluding the people praying into thinking that they're doing something useful when they're not doing shit. But hey if it makes you happy then thats a positive I guess.
154 posts Page 1 of 7