Channel ? [SYD]

Party & Festival Reviews from around the country.
139 posts Page 1 of 6
venatrix

Well here is the official write-up:

Riot police close down illegal dance party

Posted 4 hours 14 minutes ago

* Map: Camperdown 2050

Riot squad police shut down an illegal dance party at Camperdown in Sydney's west overnight.

Police were called to a warehouse on Parramatta Road at about 1:00am (AEST) and found about 1,500 people inside.

Concerned about a fire hazard, police attempted to shut down the party but were pelted with bottles by those inside.

Paramatta Road was closed and about 50 officers from the public order and riot squad, the rescue squad and local area commands - as well as a police helicopter - were called to help clear the building.

Police say no was injured during the operation and one person was arrested in a separate incident, unrelated to the party.

Police are securing the building.

Tags: law-crime-and-justice, police, australia, nsw, camperdown-2050

http://abc.com.au/news/stories/2008/08/31/2351032.htm

Couldn't find anything in the SMH.

Anyway would love to see a review by someone who went (and pics too!)
Last edited by venatrix on Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ALEXUP

was fucking insane

milf

yeah man it was a fucking awesome party! big cheers to DSS..

The Journey Man Project

Um if the fucking illegal party had not occurred there would be no waste of police resources yeah?

maybe the dance community should start putting the entire community first instead fulfilling our own personal desires?

Personally, I reckon the shits who threw stuff at the cops should be fucking prosecuted, and the dumb ass promoters should cop it as well.

Get a fucking permit.

psyllium

So who got arrested... ?

rollyz

Saw it on the channel 7 news. Police have nohing else to do but break up a private peaceful party. Think of all the OVERTIME money they get. Its all a scam. They should be patroling the streets looking for real crime. NSW - No fun allowed. :roll:

BigSpoon

My tax's paid for that entertainment, and I say money well spent.

The party was free, and the party was great. The shenanigans afterwards were just so over the top and such a waste that it was hard to not to be thoroughly entertained.

I wonder if that 15 year old would have got stabby had the police been anywhere else in the city POLICING other areas? Maybe if all those resources were elsewhere some actual crime could have been prevented.

As far as the promoters go, I'd only suggest not getting a factory that is ON a main road next time.

venatrix

The Journey Man Project wrote :
Um if the fucking illegal party had not occurred there would be no waste of police resources yeah?

maybe the dance community should start putting the entire community first instead fulfilling our own personal desires?

Personally, I reckon the shits who threw stuff at the cops should be fucking prosecuted, and the dumb ass promoters should cop it as well.

Get a fucking permit.

Well it's interesting that you say that. I saw coverage of the party on the news and they combined it with a 'related' story on how on the same night police swept the cbd and targeted licenced pubs and nightclubs and made 150 arrests, mainly drugs charges. This compared to a party without a licence which only had one arrest. I'll leave you to do the maths.

And I am still wondering what justification they made to launch a chopper...

bargirl

BigSpoon wrote :
My tax's paid for that entertainment, and I say money well spent.

The party was free, and the party was great. The shenanigans afterwards were just so over the top and such a waste that it was hard to not to be thoroughly entertained.

I wonder if that 15 year old would have got stabby had the police been anywhere else in the city POLICING other areas? Maybe if all those resources were elsewhere some actual crime could have been prevented.

As far as the promoters go, I'd only suggest not getting a factory that is ON a main road next time.

i suggest outdoors, god how long has it been since 1500 people went to an outdoor gig..........bring it on

venatrix

bargirl wrote :
i suggest outdoors, god how long has it been since 1500 people went to an outdoor gig..........bring it on

Yeah good except have you taken a look at a map lately? Noticed how fucking big Sydney is? There is a reason we drive 2-3 hours to get to parties, because that's how far you have to go to get a bit of fucking bush!

bargirl

venatrix wrote :
bargirl wrote :

Yeah good except have you taken a look at a map lately? Noticed how fucking big Sydney is? There is a reason we drive 2-3 hours to get to parties, because that's how far you have to go to get a bit of fucking bush!

sorry it was a light hearted fantasy for a light hearted forum. i thought people drove that far into the bush, so the police wouldnt find them, i guess the city is the obvious choice then to hold a huge party so the police wont shut you down

venatrix

bargirl wrote :
sorry it was a light hearted fantasy for a light hearted forum. i thought people drove that far into the bush, so the police wouldnt find them, i guess the city is the obvious choice then to hold a huge party so the police wont shut you down

lol I wasn't having a go! :)

I drive that far into the bush so i am in the bush because its beautiful!

STEVONOISEMAKER

that was SUCH a wild party!

agree with this:

the shits who threw stuff at the cops should be fucking prosecuted.

however this:

and the dumb ass promoters should cop it as well.

Get a fucking permit.

is complete bollocks.

the amount of paper work, red tape, and higgeldy piggeldy you have to get through to put on your own event in this city is ridiculous.
it is not such an easy thing for them to organise insurance, noise monitoring, security, police and fire brigade briefing etc, not to mention actually getting permission from the local council, and hold an event like this for FREE.

big ups to DSS crew + all others involved. and super thanks to everyone who helped us pack up the rig/decor etc when our room was stormed by the boys in blue!
veeeery much appreciated, was not easy getting out of that place with speakers and lights and such.

dtta

venatrix wrote :
And I am still wondering what justification they made to launch a chopper...

Police Ninjas. Through the roof. :lol:

STEVONOISEMAKER

bargirl wrote :
BigSpoon wrote :

there has been talks of this in the past, the only issue is the mess that would be left behind etc. warehouse parties do sadly attract the element of tardation in the form of lads and other such stooges who's idea of a fun night out is breaking windows and stealing people's phones.

i'm sure none of us would want to unleash them on a nice doof site.

you never know though, it may happen, and the tards may not bother with the trip out to the bush...

gher

Elixir 6 in 2005 and Convergence in 2006 were in a similar vein and both outdoors. I don't think most lads would bother going as far as those parties were, though I do know someone who walked half way from the train station to Convergence before hitching. I'm sure it can be done again, but would exclude a lot of the current patrons who don't have cars.

bargirl

STEVONOISEMAKER wrote :
bargirl wrote :
BigSpoon wrote :

there has been talks of this in the past, the only issue is the mess that would be left behind etc. warehouse parties do sadly attract the element of tardation in the form of lads and other such stooges who's idea of a fun night out is breaking windows and stealing people's phones.

i'm sure none of us would want to unleash them on a nice doof site.

you never know though, it may happen, and the tards may not bother with the trip out to the bush...

as long as you had a blast thats the main thing.

brainstorma

so the cops turned up supposedly at 1 and blockaded the party not one let in

through the front that is

i arrived about 1:30 just as the were completing totally blocking off parra road in both directions

i made a sort trip in the back way and found myself in side no troubles at all
had a nice little boogy in the dog and duck room
made my way into the dss room and was impressed by the rig dss luke out done himself again sound wise

i made my way up to the first floor only to be greeted with a jammed packed room
no where to move
this is where i ran into stevo struggling ot get gear out from the 2nd floor
gave a hand and then spent the next little while out he front watchign the entertainment of NSW's finest

on making my way home i decided to test how easy it would be to get around the blockade
so at the intersection of bridge st and parra road i hung a left rather than go right up parra road
told the cop i lived up the street
got waved through not troubles and found my way around the back in my car
so much for blockading off the area

as for the chopper
the DB's that thing produces was louder and more of a disturbance then the party
when i got home to lilyfield about 30 mins later i could still hear the chopper almost as loud as it had been at the party

was tempted to all the cops and make a noise complaint about the chopper just to see what would happen

but fell asleep instead

all in all it was a nice little set up
but the actions of the few inside made me wish for squate parties of old where people knew the importance of keeping a low profile rather than risk the cops turning up to shut it down

long live the old stanmore Cinerama and other such squat sights
dtta

venatrix wrote :
b) It doesn't rate in the SMH

It's in today:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/party-closes-parramatta-road/2008/08/31/1220121048807.html

I reckon it wasn't covered over the weekend as the Fairafx journos were on strike.

rollyz

"There's a suggestion that the party was organised through internet and through SMS and we will be pursuing that," Ms Burn said.

:roll: lol :roll:
venatrix

dtta wrote :

It's in today:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/party-closes-parramatta-road/2008/08/31/1220121048807.html

I reckon it wasn't covered over the weekend as the Fairafx journos were on strike.

Ah of course! I totally forgot :oops:

Buddha

It becomes harder and harder to organise legal parties in Australia as we face a crackdown on our lifestyle. We all know that 95% of people who attend our events are peace loving and will clean up after themselves, however it is unfortunately the actions of the minority that reflect on the majority.

It is a LOT harder to organise legal parties, they cost more, they take more attention to detail, and they require we actually work WITH the authorities. It is however the only way that we can avoid things like this happening. If the amount of legal parties increased and promoters worked together to share knowledge and skills with dealingwith local government, councils and insurance firms, then we can increase the positive profile of our scene easily.

It cost approximately $3000-$5000 to secure land (government) and Public liability insurance for a large festival. The smaller the event the lower the costs. This is a signifiacnt hit for any promoter especially with other rising costs such as fuel etc.... But I guess in the end everything ends up costing more in today's economic climate. It is a hard line tyo walk, charge enough to be able to run the event, not too much that people have to fork out heaps of dough... However I honestly believe if we start working together to address some of these issues then maybe we can organise group insurance discounts, promote understanding and respect for our beautiful culture and probably even have some fun along the way.

It is a hard road to take, and it is a shame that the days when you can find a sound system and a paddock and go nuts are less and less frequent. However it is a reality we live in.

By fighting authorities and denouncing them every chance we get we make it harder and harder to promote communication and understanding. We know we are doing nothing to be ashamed of, we know that the bush is beautiful and we work to protect it, clean it and celebrate it with our events. The amount of people I see (who have nothing to do with running the party)walking around events with garbage bags cleaning up is truly wonderful. Let's promote ourselves the way we are, not reduce ourselves to being branded "dangerous" or "troublemakers"

love Buddha

venatrix

Buddha wrote :
By fighting authorities and denouncing them every chance we get we make it harder and harder to promote communication and understanding.

The only communication is one way whereby the authorities tell us how to suck eggs and we sit there and get assreamed. The only understanding is that youth are dangerous, youth in large groups are a serious threat, drugs are dangerous, alcohol is dangerous, and all these things needs to be strictly policed to the line.

Do you seriously think that by 'doing the right thing' we are going to change that image and the authorities will wake up one day and think, hey those kids are pretty nice and they just want to party, we should let them have parties all the time whenever and wherever they want?

When you disagree with the government and the law you stage a protest. That's what each and every one of these parties are. They are largely peaceful protests in which the only trouble caused is due to the eventual police presence.

I mean think about it for a second. Kids organise a party, and the fucking riot squad is called o_0 There was no riot. Why were the riot squad there? Like some of you have said, the chopper caused more of a disturbance than the party.

I know this sounds a bit 'fight the power maaaaaaan' and a bit fucking gay but shit man, um fight the power!

Buddha

It's a bit of a catch 22 then isn't it?

You'll get no arguement that our scenes parties are peaceful, it's one of the reasons I love them.

However I think that by providing them ammunition (illegal parties) that can then be spun in the media into some sort of believable story about the dangers of drugs and young people we are only hurting ourselves.

I wasn't at the party so I can;t say who was right etc... Yes the riot squad sounds excessive, and I totally agree that police choppers are Really f&&^ loud (and probably caused more disturbance than the party (:D maybe we can sample it and write tracks with it and then balme the cops when it's too loud.... Don't you hear it man? That's a police helicopter, not us kids:))

Some of the best parties I have ever been to have been small free events put on by people for the love of it, that's what it's all about for me, I just think the more we let the negative elements of our scene be the ones that get the publicity, the worse it will get.

Llama

I had a fantastic night in the Psy room. And what was that hardcore stuff being played on the 2nd level? I loved it! At the end of the day, it was an illegal event and the cops have to do there job. They were however excessively violent. When the top floor got raided my best mate had his phone the floor, and they wouldn't allow him to go back and get his phone. One of the best night I've had since June, even though it lasted for only 3 hours. Lads tried getting into a fight with my mates and I @ Stanmore Maccas, but the power of love and communication ended up 2 out of the 10 lads in the group standing up for us telling the others to leave us alone :lol:
139 posts Page 1 of 6