Channel ? [SYD]

Party & Festival Reviews from around the country.
139 posts Page 4 of 6

Ju-Ju

i dont know why i keep wondering who the cops got to clean up all the mess we would have left behind after they cleaned us out... Do they have like police cleaners.. Sureley they didnt do it..
is this a dumb question :?:

dtta

Maybe they'll do our crime scenes as well.

E3po

if anyone wants to contribute their perspective of the events to the sydney morning herald email edmundtadros@gmail.com.
even if u jsut cut and paste what u wrote on this thread it would help, especially those of you whom have commented on overuse of resources/powers and political climate.

And on my count id lvoe people who witnessed or were victicm of asault to get in touch with him too.

how long and how many police did it take for them to discover the back alley?

now i know the score il be more prepaired next time... Awesome party, can we all bring balaclavas and red paint bombs next time??? and have a no glass policy heheheh

E3po

p.s.... next time lets all chip in for a couple a thousand guy fawkes masks to hand out at the door!

spangk

E3po wrote :
p.s.... next time lets all chip in for a couple a thousand guy fawkes masks to hand out at the door!

I have another thought..

I know it goes against what this is apparently all about, but i think a few "crowd managers" would make all the difference. *waits to be hammered*

If everyone didn't insist on hanging around on the main street out the front of the building the entire party would have been so much more discreet. The sound wasn't even an issue, could barely hear it from outside. I'd be happy to make a gold coin donation toward having some *off duty* security.. unofficial so to speak. Just a presence of security type figures amongst the young punks would help to keep them inside or move on. Maybe defeats what this is about but mannnn, the music was really cool and i'm sick of this being the one event that caters to it and it ends by 2am max! Also what Ionised had to say is has 2b factored in.

traveller

i talked with some ppl who were supposedly designated to be "crowd managers" like u suggested, but they were sayin ppl werent really listening to them much.

but yeah, its a good point... i agree that when the party spills onto streets then the length of the party goes down too... especially in busy areas.

spangk

Yep i did see the *crowd managers* ...it wasn't very effective i agree. That's why i was thinking someone in that profession or trained in technique so to speak. Maybe dressed more formerly.. anyway, not my problem ultimately was just something i'd thought on the night. I loved that building so much.

gher

The only crowd management I witnessed was a couple of guys ushering everyone inside about an hour before the police arrived. Perhaps they were told off by the neighbours or something because I took it as a sign that the police were coming.

I don't think having bouncers is such a hot idea at those parties. If they had those then the parties would become little more than common nightclubs.

I had the crazy idea of a crew getting security training and forming their own company specially for underground events just to make them 'legal' while charging a fraction of what 'real' security companies would charge. I think there already is such a company in the happy hardcore scene, except they are a 'real' security company that happen to be mates with promoters.

STEVONOISEMAKER

controling the crowd is done by pretty much everyone involved or who has a brain and is brave enough to tell someone they're doing something stupid or dangerous. sadly lots of the kids have no brain and don't listen.

we were on window patrol on the top level, trying to stop fools breaking the big windows. lots of close calls! one managed to get past us but most of the tards did listen to a degree once we told them of the dangers they didn't think about.

i think silver capes work ok for a uniform...

problem is, that if you have 'proper' security at such an event, they are a point of contact for authorities straight up. and they'd probably have to answer questions, (surely it is a condition of security license) who is your employer? etc. takes the fun police a little longer to shut things down if they're running around like chickens trying to find someone that will talk:P

(i think anyway)

the party near central had bouncers and was semi-legit. still got shut down.

as long as safety issues are a reasonable excuse, they will always try to shut it down if they think they have enough resources.

what we need is have a REEAAALLY big party, with like 10,000 people. a PEACEFUL party, with nice people, that refuse to lower themselves to the level of throwing bottles and being stupid.

one beyond the powers of mere law enforcement to shut down.

that would be nice:)
Last edited by STEVONOISEMAKER on Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pete_Paranoid

I have *done* lots of free parties and stayed back to clean up at lots more!
There are three different types of people that go to parties. Some go to be trashed, some go to get trashed, and some go to trash! It’s the later "to trash" that are not welcome at Doofs. I dub these people "Tourists"! (Not as racist as it sounds.)

BigSpoon wrote :
WHO WILL POLICE THE POLICE??!!

I dunno. Coast guard?

A quick quiz, it's multiple choice so someone with your intellect should get it!

You go to a party and the riot police are out the front and polair are circling the building!
Do you:

a) Leave, and go somewhere else?
b) Find the back door?
c) Grab some popcorn, and watch some "Straight outta Compton" Nigger shit go down?

p.s. Awfully sorry Rolly but I have lived in Marrickville Doof House for 18 months now, the Blue Mountains is my business address.

The Journey Man Project

yeah but you'll always have wankers who ruin things for everyone else... who's to say some smart arse at the gig just decided to call the cops for fun? seen it happen before... now I"m all for free party's, illegal raves and concerts... but if the shit hits the fan you really have noone to blame but yourselves for being there. End of story.

Llama

Boooooooooo to one of the silver cape dj's. I asked him the name of a song and he wouldn't tell me :verymad:

spangk

gher wrote :
I had the crazy idea of a crew getting security training and forming their own company specially for underground events just to make them 'legal' while charging a fraction of what 'real' security companies would charge. I think there already is such a company in the happy hardcore scene, except they are a 'real' security company that happen to be mates with promoters.

That's what i'm getting at, in theory. Good idea in theory but could go anywhere in reality.

gher

The Journey Man Project wrote :
yeah but you'll always have wankers who ruin things for everyone else... who's to say some smart arse at the gig just decided to call the cops for fun? seen it happen before... now I"m all for free party's, illegal raves and concerts... but if the shit hits the fan you really have noone to blame but yourselves for being there. End of story.

There was a house right behind it. My friends saw people looking out the windows at the gang of lads that were painting the walls of the neighbouring buildings. I guarantee it was them who called the police.

psy*clone

woah, that sounds like some night. i was in east timor on saturday night and it seems like i was in the safer place.

while it's always an idea to let ppl know about the excessive use of force which went on by writing to the papers, or even complaining directly to the NSW ombudsman, the story will most likely fall on deaf ears.

there's a good chance that any complaints will not get followed up, and the general public who read the papers would not disagree with the police at all. mainly because "rave parties" to the common folk are all things evil and should be stopped by using any force necessary.

i think the best way to stop these parties from happening is if the government used a little more tax payers money and commissioned a bear patrol.

Pete_Paranoid

So why don't you tell your parents I'm sure they will love to know where you take your girlfriend for a date!
spangk wrote :
*waits to be hammered*

Or better yet, tell the police, the judge what was the term she used? Oh wait, that’s right, "malicious damage"!!!!

BigSpoon

Pete_Paranoid wrote :
I have *done* lots of free parties and stayed back to clean up at lots more!
There are three different types of people that go to parties. Some go to be trashed, some go to get trashed, and some go to trash! It’s the later "to trash" that are not welcome at Doofs. I dub these people "Tourists"! (Not as racist as it sounds.)

BigSpoon wrote :
WHO WILL POLICE THE POLICE??!!

I dunno. Coast guard?

A quick quiz, it's multiple choice so someone with your intellect should get it!

You go to a party and the riot police are out the front and polair are circling the building!
Do you:

a) Leave, and go somewhere else?
b) Find the back door?
c) Grab some popcorn, and watch some "Straight outta Compton" Nigger shit go down?

p.s. Awfully sorry Rolly but I have lived in Marrickville Doof House for 18 months now, the Blue Mountains is my business address.

POP QUIZ HOTSHOT!

SHOOT THE HOSTAGE!!!

Well i was already there. I stayed inside and watched shenanigans begin, danced some more, then laughed heartily at the police congo line as it came on up stairs. Then I moved to level 2 and watched some more. Then when they came down again I made the smart move and went on outside to find some popcorn. With melted butter. And a lounge chair.

BigSpoon

psy*clone wrote :
i think the best way to stop these parties from happening is if the government used a little more tax payers money and commissioned a bear patrol.

oh fucking lol

depo

Your right psy*clone a bear patrol seems to be the next logical step. It may also be the only way forward.
Last edited by depo on Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

omnava25

The Journey Man Project wrote :
Um if the fucking illegal party had not occurred there would be no waste of police resources yeah?

maybe the dance community should start putting the entire community first instead fulfilling our own personal desires?

Personally, I reckon the shits who threw stuff at the cops should be fucking prosecuted, and the dumb ass promoters should cop it as well.

Get a fucking permit.
i totally agree, just a bunch of troublemakers, i say. I hope next time this party will not be associated with the psy scene, we have a bad enough rep as is!!
I wouldnt be surprised if the cops start cracking down on such events, so yeah thanks for the gig fella!!,,,guy!!

E3po

Pete_Paranoid wrote :
So why don't you tell your parents I'm sure they will love to know where you take your girlfriend for a date!
spangk wrote :
*waits to be hammered*

Or better yet, tell the police, the judge what was the term she used? Oh wait, that’s right, "malicious damage"!!!!

Ignorance overload...

My girlfriend and her mum were the ones that suggested 'we' go out to the gig in the first place as i was tired after my first day in sydney for the beinalie and just wanted to go to sleep. Having some anxiety issues about going to parties, after 4 mths of avoiding them due to personal reasons, i decided it was better to chin up and face the dancefloor, especially given it was 10 minutes from where we were staying and FREE.

Since when does going to a gig with a girlfriend imply 'i took her out on a date'. So I am responsible for the decisions my 22yrold girlfriend makes???
And what makes u think we both hadnt told our parents the score in the first place, and that (yes lawyers and civil servents actually encouraged and supported us going to this gig?) sounds a little sexist to me.

Oh yes we are jsut ignorant little spoilt kids huh? i guess thats the same attitude the beefcake riot cops had when they king hit us from behind!

Ob that note, my mum runs a law firm and was the first person i rang when we were assaulted. We have made a complaint to the ombudsman.
Even if you are commiting a crime you still have civil rights (whether ur blatently aware of the crime, or unaware it makes no difference, murderers and rapists have civil rights too! And a murderer or a rapist can often have their charges dropped if they can proove police negligance).

The actions of the police were in direct violation of civil rights and were blatent abuses of power, and by law 'assault'. Had we recieved medical attention we would have had a case to press charges for 'assault causing actual physical harm'.

We did not know the riot squad were there, nor that police had entered the building, we were happily dancing away quite unaware of our surroundings, being the first time in 4 mths we had been on a dancefloor we were enjoying trancing out for the first time in ages, and feeling quite free (and were not intoxicated other then a few drinks over many hours).

so im sorry pete, but your belittling condecending tone really makes me wonder what your pedastool is built of, and whether maybe someday ull get down off it and have a dance and some fun without being constantly aware and paranoid of your surroundings and the environmental context of an experience, without just letting go and allowing the experience to be, and for other peoples experiences to have merit outside your own hyper rational, logical and ultimatly cynical critique!

STEVONOISEMAKER

omnava25 wrote :
I hope next time this party will not be associated with the psy scene, we have a bad enough rep as is!!

naaaah

Going along those lines, we can assume other genres of music such as funk, rock and reggae will also be deemed “undesirable devil musicâ€

BigSpoon

Techno is the fucking bomb. Everything else is shit.

E3po

p.s, for those of u going "oh noes i hope this doesnt impact on the psy scene"

u might as well be having a whinge at every street racer that gets busted with massive 15inch subs banging out ravecore and happy house, every house party that has some decks set up that gets the cops called for noise complaints, and every OD at a massive commercial rave. They all have an impact on the generalised/conservative perception of electronic music.

The general public and authorities make no destinction between different genres, styles or subcultures of electronic music.

to think they actually acknowledge different scenes as being 'less or more responsible' is a complete wank. Its all doof doof to them!

The only thing thast distinguishes the psy 'scene' is that most of the time the illegal parties are out in the bush, far enough away for it to cost EVEN MORE to send in the riot squad to break it down.

I have been at doofs where police have been trapped in their car by aggressive punters, waiting for reinforcements, and where police have been assaulted and their cars vandalised.
I have been to many doofs where the vibe was a lot more hostile, violent and 'anti social' then this party. The only difference being that this party was in the city and thus easier to inject media attention and police resources into.

A poorly managed bush party is equally if not more unsafe then a warehouse gig, and often has resulted in more violence and damage to personal property, not to mention the shitloads of trash left out in the bush.

gher

Not to mention if we want the psy scene to grow then there's a better chance of getting people from the warehouse parties than nightclubs. I can't see what's so great about the club gigs that would make club yuppies want to brave the elements and go bush.
139 posts Page 4 of 6