Channel ? [SYD]

Party & Festival Reviews from around the country.
139 posts Page 5 of 6
Pete_Paranoid

"Roni Size - Lucky Pressure" by krebain
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=079uQKAYmEs

psy*clone

i think i'd rather the psy scene not grow at all if it means keeping lads out of our doofs.

Llama

Lads will not go to Doofs.

E3po

actually, a massive problem around mid north and north coast nsw parties is the presence of these folks.

There are actually people coming to parties these days specifically to commit opportunist crime.

We have had stolen cars, groups of thugs roaming the parties beating down promoters and djs and just general undesirable behaviour of all kinds.

Its becoming such a problem that the regular security we have in place will not service many areas/events anymore.

So yes 'lads' will come to doofs.. they are already doing so up north, to the point that it is actually deterring lots of people from going, and making promoters change locations.

gher

I've seen lads at doofs before but not the kind who intentionally cause trouble. I barely saw lads inside the party at all, they were just hanging around outside painting the neighbours' walls and waiting to ambush people - as they do normally.

Pete_Paranoid

E3po wrote :
Pete_Paranoid wrote :
So why don't you tell your parents I'm sure they will love to know where you take your girlfriend for a date!
spangk wrote :
*waits to be hammered*

Or better yet, tell the police, the judge what was the term she used? Oh wait, that’s right, "malicious damage"!!!!

Ignorance overload...

My girlfriend and her mum were the ones that suggested 'we' go out to the gig in the first place as i was tired after my first day in sydney for the beinalie and just wanted to go to sleep. Having some anxiety issues about going to parties, after 4 mths of avoiding them due to personal reasons, i decided it was better to chin up and face the dancefloor, especially given it was 10 minutes from where we were staying and FREE.

Since when does going to a gig with a girlfriend imply 'i took her out on a date'. So I am responsible for the decisions my 22yrold girlfriend makes???
And what makes u think we both hadnt told our parents the score in the first place, and that (yes lawyers and civil servents actually encouraged and supported us going to this gig?) sounds a little sexist to me.

Oh yes we are jsut ignorant little spoilt kids huh? i guess thats the same attitude the beefcake riot cops had when they king hit us from behind!

Ob that note, my mum runs a law firm and was the first person i rang when we were assaulted. We have made a complaint to the ombudsman.
Even if you are commiting a crime you still have civil rights (whether ur blatently aware of the crime, or unaware it makes no difference, murderers and rapists have civil rights too! And a murderer or a rapist can often have their charges dropped if they can proove police negligance).

The actions of the police were in direct violation of civil rights and were blatent abuses of power, and by law 'assault'. Had we recieved medical attention we would have had a case to press charges for 'assault causing actual physical harm'.

We did not know the riot squad were there, nor that police had entered the building, we were happily dancing away quite unaware of our surroundings, being the first time in 4 mths we had been on a dancefloor we were enjoying trancing out for the first time in ages, and feeling quite free (and were not intoxicated other then a few drinks over many hours).

so im sorry pete, but your belittling condecending tone really makes me wonder what your pedastool is built of, and whether maybe someday ull get down off it and have a dance and some fun without being constantly aware and paranoid of your surroundings and the environmental context of an experience, without just letting go and allowing the experience to be, and for other peoples experiences to have merit outside your own hyper rational, logical and ultimatly cynical critique!

Are you talking to me or yourself? What exactly are you angry about?

venatrix

E3po wrote :
p.s, for those of u going "oh noes i hope this doesnt impact on the psy scene"

u might as well be having a whinge at every street racer that gets busted with massive 15inch subs banging out ravecore and happy house, every house party that has some decks set up that gets the cops called for noise complaints, and every OD at a massive commercial rave. They all have an impact on the generalised/conservative perception of electronic music.

The general public and authorities make no destinction between different genres, styles or subcultures of electronic music.

to think they actually acknowledge different scenes as being 'less or more responsible' is a complete wank. Its all doof doof to them!

Indeed. In case you all thought you were special I suggest you take a big fucking reality check. To the authorities, and to the moral conservative majority, there are three types of music. Rock, rap, and electronic music. They might call it rave music, or techno music, but the point is that every single piece and genre of electronic music is lumped into one category. That category has this image:

lots of kids partying really hard, taking lots of drugs, and dancing to incomprehensible noise.

The reason it has this image is because essentially THAT IS WHAT WE FUCKING DO PEOPLE! We drink and get high and listen to our electronic doofdoof. And don't give me your blah blah about how you haven't had drugs or alcohol for however many months or years, because if you have ever done it then you are one of us.

Essentially there is nothing different between your freshly 18 year old popping pills at home nightclub, or your early 30s professional doing lines of coke at the Slip Inn, or your seasoned doofer taking psychedelics and having some fucking revelation about the universe at 5am at a doof in the middle of the bush. They are all taking drugs and listening to electronic music.

The scene has a realistic reputation. Yeah sure there is peace and love and fucking mungbeans and community spirit and environmental concerns and donating to charities and blah fucking blah but at the end of the day there is a scene because people want to party and get loose.

E3po

Pete_Paranoid wrote :

You do a good job with ur flashy lights and making everythign pretty at night ill give u that pete, but no offence mate your online persona sort of makes u out to be a bit of a tool! (nice job on the OT polygamy thread b.t.w, i probably wouldnt have run with it here if i didnt think u had already made yourself out to be a conservative prune sucking patriarchal righty sympathiser)

E3po wrote :
Pete_Paranoid wrote :
So why don't you tell your parents I'm sure they will love to know where you take your girlfriend for a date!
Or better yet, tell the police, the judge what was the term she used? Oh wait, that’s right, "malicious damage"!!!!

Ignorance overload...

The actions of the police were in direct violation of civil rights and were blatent abuses of power, and by law 'assault'. Had we recieved medical attention we would have had a case to press charges for 'assault causing actual physical harm'.

Your condecending belittling tone really makes me wonder!
Last edited by E3po on Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

E3po

venatrix wrote :
The scene has a realistic reputation. Yeah sure there is peace and love and fucking mungbeans and community spirit and environmental concerns and donating to charities and blah fucking blah but at the end of the day there is a scene because people want to party and get loose.

And to add to that, the 'scene' in many ways utilises the whole shanti "peace and love and fucking mungbeans and community spirit and environmental concerns and donating to charities and blah fucking blah" in order to justify its consumption levels/outright hedonism, and so that the more 'conscious individuals' can make it all seem ok, and actually deny that "we are just doing what everyone else is doing" :wink:

The Journey Man Project

oh wow what a revelation from you two... as if we didn't all know this... why do you think the music has turned into more clubby stuff recently? because the producers came around to realising that a doof is an outdoor club, nothing more, and by making music that is both a bit trancey and abit clubby they can play at both types of venues and therefore earn more dosh...

the only revelation I ended up having at a doof was that a warm bed and a good shower is better than a crowd of filthy drug fucked hippies :lol: jkn *kinda :roll: *

but seriously, looking at 99% of the people on here, Ozpants and Earthcoare and what they say and how they behave online... the I.Q and communication levels seem to point to use all being very *um* SPECIAL.

:lol:

spangk

E3po wrote :
venatrix wrote :

And to add to that, the 'scene' in many ways utilises the whole shanti "peace and love and fucking mungbeans and community spirit and environmental concerns and donating to charities and blah fucking blah" in order to justify its consumption levels/outright hedonism, and so that the more 'conscious individuals' can make it all seem ok, and actually deny that "we are just doing what everyone else is doing" :wink:

That's bs. Doing a party for charity or environmental concerns is actually proactive. Something real is achieved other than only having fun, not to mention there being a space for punters who are over going to parties that are purely hedonistic. There are a lot of people, doofers included in Sydney, possibly all areas of Australia who don't go along to parties any more and it is always awesome to see them at rare events like these. People who do such events actually utilise a party for this means is to actually put there energy into two things they love and are passionate about all at once, the cause and music. In my experience it has been successful for the people we have donated to, those who come along and contribute either financially, creatively and physical effort. Not to mention that it has also informed more people in whatever the cause may have been.

venatrix

spangk wrote :
That's bs. Doing a party for charity or environmental concerns is actually proactive. Something real is achieved other than only having fun, not to mention there being a space for punters who are over going to parties that are purely hedonistic. There are a lot of people, doofers included in Sydney, possibly all areas of Australia who don't go along to parties any more and it is always awesome to see them at rare events like these. People who do such events actually utilise a party for this means is to actually put there energy into two things they love and are passionate about all at once, the cause and music. In my experience it has been successful for the people we have donated to, those who come along and contribute either financially, creatively and physical effort. Not to mention that it has also informed more people in whatever the cause may have been.

I'm not trying to diss your parties. Ixchel parties are by far my favourite indoor parties, they rock muchly. But they wouldn't be as successful if drugs and electronic music weren't involved, and the authorities would see it as just another party regardless of the content or intention or product. In fact at the last Ixchel party I brought a friend who was new to psytrance and they said to me "Um this place is full of drugs and hippies, why don't the cops raid parties like this?" so to someone external the most noticeable factors were the drugs and the music. And thats how people see us and that's why a warehouse party is not going to significantly damage our reputation because our reputation is already so shit.

spangk

venatrix wrote :
spangk wrote :

I'm not trying to diss your parties. Ixchel parties are by far my favourite indoor parties, they rock muchly. But they wouldn't be as successful if drugs and electronic music weren't involved, and the authorities would see it as just another party regardless of the content or intention or product. In fact at the last Ixchel party I brought a friend who was new to psytrance and they said to me "Um this place is full of drugs and hippies, why don't the cops raid parties like this?" so to someone external the most noticeable factors were the drugs and the music. And thats how people see us and that's why a warehouse party is not going to significantly damage our reputation because our reputation is already so shit.

I was actually speaking directly about E3po`s post. i think that was pretty obvious.

oh and thanks for the positive input. I wasn't on any drugs and i know lots of others who were also not on drugs. In fact i think i had 3 beers over the entire day including set up. I had a tequila and redbull before i played at 1.30am due to fatigue. I don't know if you and your friend were on drugs or not, it's none of my business but i generally find that those on drugs assume everyone else is.

The Journey Man Project

people don;t like extreme music and extreme subcultures.

Heavy Metal is probably the most obvious, especially once you step into the ambient and black metal scenes.

Goa/Psy/Proggi is probably the second, because if you bother to hear it or try and view the scene from the eyes of someone who is not involved, it is very strang looking and sounding and most of the community does not like this.

If you are going to step outside of so-called normal culture, you have to expect that the reactions from the "norm" aren't going to be positive at all. Just accept this and get over it. It will never change not matter how many charity or tree planting events are incorporated ;)

venatrix

spangk wrote :

I was actually speaking directly about E3po`s post. i think that was pretty obvious.

oh and thanks for the positive input. I wasn't on any drugs and i know lots of others who were also not on drugs. In fact i think i had 3 beers over the entire day including set up. I had a tequila and redbull before i played at 1.30am due to fatigue. I don't know if you and your friend were on drugs or not, it's none of my business but i generally find that those on drugs assume everyone else is.

You were running the party and you thought it might be a good idea not to get wasted? That's a bit of a no-brainer really isn't it? The majority of punters though? A different story entirely. Think about it, hiring venues is often dependent on making a certain amount back at the bar, so before you even start out there is an assumed amount of inebriation that accompanies the gig. Just because some people weren't on drugs at that particular party doesn't mean they are exempt from the electronic music and drug taking culture and society's perception of it. If you ever have taken drugs or gotten drunk at an electronic music event then you are perpetuating the stereotype.

spangk

Being a non-brainer i will repeat my self for the benefit of your intellect. I knew many people who did not take drugs there. Not including people putting the party on. You would be unaware of many of these people i am sure.

This discussion is completely aside from my original post anyway Venatrix. It was about the fact that people who do parties as environmental or charity based initiatives only do so to justify their own levels of consumption and hedonism. So you will see, if you actually read my post that I was speaking DIRECTLY about promoters. Not the people enjoying the party. It was about the promoters intent.

rollyz

The Journey Man Project wrote :
people don;t like extreme music and extreme subcultures.

Heavy Metal is probably the most obvious, especially once you step into the ambient and black metal scenes.

Goa/Psy/Proggi is probably the second, because if you bother to hear it or try and view the scene from the eyes of someone who is not involved, it is very strang looking and sounding and most of the community does not like this.

If you are going to step outside of so-called normal culture, you have to expect that the reactions from the "norm" aren't going to be positive at all. Just accept this and get over it. It will never change not matter how many charity or tree planting events are incorporated ;)

Right on! I've been doing my radioshow for the past 15 years, moved from mainstrean dance to the uderground styles we all love. The past radio station management have liked it, but now a new breed of station management from a very mainstream background have taken over. The just don't understand the sub culture styles, and just want to change the station to be more mainstream. They are so focused on what brings in money. I feel that subculture expresion in community radio is being threatened. :(

venatrix

spangk wrote :
Being a non-brainer i will repeat my self for the benefit of your intellect. I knew many people who did not take drugs there. Not including people putting the party on. You would be unaware of many of these people i am sure.

That's lovely, but would anyone have come if it had been a drug and alcohol free event complete with sniffer dogs?

spangk wrote :
This discussion is completely aside from my original post anyway Venatrix. It was about the fact that people who do parties as environmental or charity based initiatives only do so to justify their own levels of consumption and hedonism. So you will see, if you actually read my post that I was speaking DIRECTLY about promoters. Not the people enjoying the party. It was about the promoters intent.

The promoters intent is completely irrelevant to the fact that at the end of the day they are putting on an electronic music event whose patrons include drug dealers and drug users.

What is the more likely newspaper headline?:

RARE DRUG OVERDOSE AT SUSTAINABLE FESTIVAL WHOSE PROFITS ARE DONATED TO CHARITY AND WHO RESPECT INDIGENOUS RIGHTS

or

FATAL DRUG OVERDOSE AT DANCE PARTY

Sure I think it's a bit rich to say that all promoters are essentially self serving with no social conscience, however that is again not relevant to the initial point which is that due to society's perception of the scene, putting on an illegal warehouse party that gains negative publicity through police involvement as opposed to getting a permit is much of a muchness because of the illegal and antisocial activities that are associated with electronic music.

spangk

I have nothing further to say venatrix. In fact it's a shame i bothered replying to your post in the first place. You didn't get what I was saying and you aren't going to. You just keep talking about what you prefer to. Why? Simply to make your point at all costs. Your point was taken by me long before my post. In fact without posting a response i agreed. Then again I actually try to read peoples posts properly and double check my interpretation before i post. You keep repeating yourself with revised wording. Would be nice not to be patronised so greatly. Enough already.

E3po

spangk wrote :

I totally agree re the good intention and proactive approach of people such as yourself, and the regen crew e.t.c... The more of that the better, and generally such parties have a much friendlier more positive vibe and outcome then others.... however

My point is more that the level of consumption involved in doing a party makes 'sustainability' a bit of an oxymoron.
Perhaps not in the city with public transprt and no alcohol being served and all online PR and lots of trees planted for carbon offsetting e.t.c

Im not having a go at the MINORITY of 'conscious individuals' involved in the scene, im just saying that there wouldnt be one if it wasnt for the MAJORITY of hedonistic consumptive behaviours and lifestyles that fuels it.

Trust me ive done plenty of free gigs and volunteered years of my life to various environmental conservation groups, and helped out where i can with parties/promoters whom appeal to my morality base... But at the end of the day its a 'scene' full of 'players' that only stays alive by feeding off drugs, ego, music and money. (if music was first in that list then i reckon it would be plausible... but its only first in that list to a minority of the people who make up the scene)

After spending 2 years planting trees and running a team of conservation volunteers i realised the amount of petrol we put in the troopie and the amount of food the team ate far outweighed the trees that survived the long hot summer.

Think of what u raise for the environment or for social/cultural enrichment with a party thats done by conscious individuals with good intent... And then think of what could be done if everyone involved in said party spent the weekend at home or at a nearby landcare project and put funds that would have been spent on the party into said landcare project.

I also have observed a lot of people who hide under the guide of good intentions, whom to me are sadder then those whom are jsut straight up and in it for the fun and good times.... good intentions and good deeds are as far apart as heaven and hell!

Pete_Paranoid

E3po wrote :
Pete_Paranoid wrote :

You do a good job with ur flashy lights and making everythign pretty at night ill give u that pete, but no offence mate your online persona sort of makes u out to be a bit of a tool! (nice job on the OT polygamy thread b.t.w, i probably wouldnt have run with it here if i didnt think u had already made yourself out to be a conservative prune sucking patriarchal righty sympathiser)

E3po wrote :
Pete_Paranoid wrote :

Ignorance overload...

Your condecending belittling tone really makes me wonder!

Once again just like the naked fury thread, you asked for trouble, and you got it, and now you are complaining about it! Be reasonable!
Last edited by Pete_Paranoid on Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spangk

E3po wrote :
spangk wrote :

I totally agree re the good intention and proactive approach of people such as yourself, and the regen crew e.t.c... The more of that the better, and generally such parties have a much friendlier more positive vibe and outcome then others.... however

My point is more that the level of consumption involved in doing a party makes 'sustainability' a bit of an oxymoron.
Perhaps not in the city with public transprt and no alcohol being served and all online PR and lots of trees planted for carbon offsetting e.t.c

Im not having a go at the MINORITY of 'conscious individuals' involved in the scene, im just saying that there wouldnt be one if it wasnt for the MAJORITY of hedonistic consumptive behaviours and lifestyles that fuels it.

Trust me ive done plenty of free gigs and volunteered years of my life to various environmental conservation groups, and helped out where i can with parties/promoters whom appeal to my morality base... But at the end of the day its a 'scene' full of 'players' that only stays alive by feeding off drugs, ego, music and money. (if music was first in that list then i reckon it would be plausible... but its only first in that list to a minority of the people who make up the scene)

After spending 2 years planting trees and running a team of conservation volunteers i realised the amount of petrol we put in the troopie and the amount of food the team ate far outweighed the trees that survived the long hot summer.

Think of what u raise for the environment or for social/cultural enrichment with a party thats done by conscious individuals with good intent... And then think of what could be done if everyone involved in said party spent the weekend at home or at a nearby landcare project and put funds that would have been spent on the party into said landcare project.

I also have observed a lot of people who hide under the guide of good intentions, whom to me are sadder then those whom are just straight up and in it for the fun and good times.... good intentions and good deeds are as far apart as heaven and hell!

Your point is valid as is mine. I think this has been argued over and over. The sustainability issue. When it comes to tree planting and environmental management you obviously realise it's site specific. So when you say imagine what more a crew involved could do at their local landcare group you are changing the entire site of action. So while it'd be good work done in the new site, the other site which had a specific and well needed restoration plan will be neglected and become more and more degraded. I understand your perspective but it's a very general take. There's more than one reason to plant trees. It's not simply the carbon cycle that's important. The water and nutrient cycles are essential also.

As for general fund raising for any worthy cause. It should speak for itself. I'm not saying that this approach is what all promoters should take at all. I'm not saying it will save the world. It's simply a contribution, an attempt to generate some good energy, make money for people who need it greatly need it. Does it make me feel less guilty about my hedonistic desire to have fun around music? Well the answer is I don't feel guilty about it.

It's such a sad thing to see trees not surviving the summer. Still, it's worth trying. Always.

E3po

naked fury thread? would make more sense if i had read it link me!

And no i didnt ask for trouble, i went to a free party totally unaware of the political and social climate and context surrounding it and got assaulted by police.

How would u react if u got asked to do lighting for a gig up north, or in new zealand, and ur gear got stolen or smashed, and when u went to the promoters (who are responsible for keeping your gear safe) only to be told
"its an illegal party where people come to take drugs and dance to electronic music, so deal with it and quit your whingeing".

Then u went online and said, "hey i was doing lighting at this gig and my gear got stolen and smashed and the promoters were real assholes"

And i came on and told u you were asking for it taking the gig in the first place and to quit your whingeing, and then even supported the attitude of the promoters?

What would ur attitude be then pete? I think being pissed off about watching my gf get physically assaulted out of nowhere by police and then to be assaulted myself is quite reasonable.... I think its even more reasonable to then take offence to your attitude of 'serves u right, what do u expect'.

Pete_Paranoid

Fuck it, I'm done this thread...

E3po wrote :
naked fury thread? would make more sense if i had read it link me!

And no i didnt ask for trouble, i went to a free party totally unaware of the political and social climate and context surrounding it and got assaulted by police.

How would u react if u got asked to do lighting for a gig up north, or in new zealand, and ur gear got stolen or smashed, and when u went to the promoters (who are responsible for keeping your gear safe) only to be told
"its an illegal party where people come to take drugs and dance to electronic music, so deal with it and quit your whingeing".

Then u went online and said, "hey i was doing lighting at this gig and my gear got stolen and smashed and the promoters were real assholes"

And i came on and told u you were asking for it taking the gig in the first place and to quit your whingeing, and then even supported the attitude of the promoters?

What would ur attitude be then pete? I think being pissed off about watching my gf get physically assaulted out of nowhere by police and then to be assaulted myself is quite reasonable.... I think its even more reasonable to then take offence to your attitude of 'serves u right, what do u expect'.

╬ The Crow."Burn" (The Cure) ╬
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFPlEpi__wc
I. AM. YOUR. PAST.
Last edited by Pete_Paranoid on Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pete_Paranoid

Combichrist - What The Fuck Is Wrong With You
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCntXvVY5Ww
139 posts Page 5 of 6