Sydney earthdance farce.

Party & Festival Reviews from around the country.
120 posts Page 2 of 5

psyllium

I have to agree with most of what has already been posted about the downward spiral that is Sydney Earthdance. Sure, I did have some fun at the time, but it was cut short and there was no freaking water (the organisers REALLY have to do some sums about the cost of giving people AMBULANCES and MEDICAL TREATMENT, that might be preventable by having free drinking water available!! Screw the commercial operators, seriously!!). Plus, the sound wasn't the best, but at least we didn't get too much interference noise-wise from the other stages this year though.

End rant...

Mk1

Deepchild's awesome comments really helped me to understand the goings on at this event in a new light.

His well educated, mature outlook on what's going on here is right on the money. Speaking of money, the volunteer's on the gate that were collecting it were doing an awesome job- but they had their work cut out for them with many doing their best to ignore them and get in scott free.

Also, after all is said and done is the amount of funds that is raised (and where it goes to) made public?

boondocksaint

this thread seems unnecessarily negative.

i thought people had accepted earthdance had lost its way as a festival true to its roots? to be sure, this is sad, but i still think it's cool that there can be a free festival in the middle of the city, and were the vibes really that bad?

yes there were some wankers around, but i don't necessarily equate shirtless raver kid with massive sunglasses as necessarily being some absolute wanker.. is someone who has missed the point of earthdance (or not thinking about the nature of the festival at all) necessarily so unforgivable? this wasn't a doof, and it wasn't a doof crowd.. but the doof crowd strikes me as being pretty goddamned judgmental.

how many of the thousands of people there had been exposed to progressive influences which might have resulted in the sort of mindset you guys demand? i think it's more a sad reflection on the parents, school, societal influences etc that these people have had than the people themselves.. and this is the sort of day that might change perspectives, so why throw it out all together?

plus, there were some good tunes on the psy stage.. alex his usual uplifting self

tripy

To Some of you

OUR DANCE IS A MASSAGE ,UNITY AND LOVE TOGETHER AS ONE PERSON

TO 1 BEAT WE DANCE ,ALL TOGETHER ,SAME DANCE AND WE NEVER MEET BEFORE .

BUT WE COME FROM THE SAME TRIBE AND WE DANCE THE SAME DANCE

IT OUR PRAYER TO MOTHER EARTH

NO MIC ,OR SPECIALS TALKS R NEEDED ,,WE ARE NOT POLITICIANS

THIS IS THE MASSAGE

UNITY LIKE A TRIBE

BOOM !!!

P. S THANKS TO ALL INVOLVED AND TO TRY TO CREATE TAHT LITTLE CORNER FOR OUR TRIBE ,,,EVEN DOUGH THE EVENT WAS FORCED !!!

CHEERS

phoney

Mk1 wrote :
Deepchild's awesome comments really helped me to understand the goings on at this event in a new light.

It's interesting to see a unanimous consent from most in that thread to move ED back to the bush.... And this coming from non-doofers themselves. :?

I think a win win situation would be to make next years Sydney ED more 'world music' themed (bands, chill, roots, dub, maybe disco and thats it). Make it attractive to families and music lovers and discouraging to the 15 year old lads who are only out to cause trouble. Thousands will still turn up, the message will be delivered far more effectively and the ugly scenes from Saturday wont be repeated.

Of course then another crew should jump on board and host a Newcastle ED (for example), in the bush, for those of us who'd rather party hard, and can do so responsibly. :)

Abuse

phoney wrote :
Mk1 wrote :

Of course then another crew should jump on board and host a Newcastle ED (for example), in the bush, for those of us who'd rather party hard, and can do so responsibly. :)

NPC is thinking about taking this on, its not concrete but we are keeping it in mind :twisted:

i also agree with most of the posts, it wasnt very inviting compared to the previous years..
it seems to get bigger and bigger every year , i couldnt really understand why it was held in a park that was way smaller.

psythagoras

I just wanted thank the orginisers for the efforts that were made to create an event where I was able to share an absolutley beautiful sunny day with my loving family, friendly friends, and a crazy bunch of sydney doofers in a location that was a gizzilion times easier to get to with a 1.5 year old than any doof (we caught the train). Thank you to the Djs on the Psy stage who had little Harry and I sharing some special moments on the dance floor. I certainly tried my best to pass on the message of peace to my son and I can only hope that the event, as a consequence, will have a positive effect on his life.

Look forward to seeing you in the dreams of the dragon.
Have fun and stay safe.

Sinner

Yea I'd just like to say that Alex from UP records killed it over lunch. Had this infectious grin on his face the whole time like he knew just exactly how the music was making people feel, I only saw smiling faces during his set!

Big ups the Super Mario Bros remixage.

Llama

Woooo theres the back of me in the last photo. What was with those raver chicks. Too many kids in phat pants and fluffies, someone should have told em it wasn't a rave :roll:

jaimz

Llama wrote :
Woooo theres the back of me in the last photo. What was with those raver chicks. Too many kids in phat pants and fluffies, someone should have told em it wasn't a rave :roll:

Actually, strangely, in depth anthropological studies have shown that it is possible to enjoy psytrance regardless of dress. Scientists are, naturally, baffled.

D-Psyfa

Hi All,
There were actually some real positives came out of the day (full update on funds raised etc soon)

I understand that the venue being too small has led to some people being unhappy. I've experienced this with many a venue in Sydney, but hey, we can't always rock up and party where we choose to ;-)

All in all, I know the organisers did a fantastic job and it was a pleasure to be part of such a well organised team. For those that think we could improve, we'll be starting preparations a lot earlier next year, so we would love for you to join the team and share your fantastic ideas :-)

I'll try to address most of the points of concern later this week following a debrief with other crew members.

As for the music on the psytrance stage, I'd like to thank all of the DJs for providing quality tunes all day. The dance floor responded very positively to all DJs which is a credit to you all.
For those that thought the music sucked, I hope it hasn't ruined your week and I hope you can be happy for the people that had fun (around 99% of them)
To be able to get outdoors with such a lovely sunny day and free tunes in the park, can't be all that bad can it, can it??

Talk to ya's all soon!

herbsandspices

Was it my favourite type of psy? No.

Most welcoming and peaceful crowd? No.

Did I care for the sound quality? Double No.

Did I have a tops day in the sun, catching up with friends and feeling the love? Fuck yes. Thanks to all involved.

PS. You funny fuckers at the Rose afterwards made my day. I was sore the next day from laughing so hard all night.

jujuchan

mmmm i have only ever been to the perth earthdance, which is always quite far down south and very community-oriented, but i knew this wasn't going to be quite the same... it was beautiful weather but me and my sister & her little 2 year old decided to steer clear of the crowd and hang in the kids area most of the day. i did get to join in on the drumming circle though, that was fun :D

i guess if an event is going to be held in the middle of the city, it's inevitably going to attract a few tards. but you know, it comes with the territory. if earthdance is still held in such a small, central area next year i probably wouldn't go along - as mentioned before, the message just really didn't seem to get through to many.

Mk1

I thaught the Fluffy pant raver chicks going off to some of Alex's tasty tunes helped to create for me the best vibe of the day. Great to see a shitload of obviously non "psytrance hippies" rocking out. :wink:

ionized

Had a pretty decent time, was good catching up with everyone there. I did feel like a fish in a baitball though with all those cops sharking around the outside. Occasionally pulling people out and strip searching them for the fuck of it doesnt make for a very relaxing vibe?!! :gun:

Music was pretty dancable for the most part. Call me a snob and that, but all the sick lads and go-go dancers up front of the psy stage made it feel pretty wank.

And yeah... trying to find a place to vote at the end of the day with a head full of crazy had to be the most exciting part of the day. :lol: :lol:

Llama

ionized wrote :

Music was pretty dancable for the most part. Call me a snob and that, but all the sick lads and go-go dancers up front of the psy stage made it feel pretty wank.

Apart from the lads I believe it was awesome that they experienced Psy Trance and loved it. I hope we made a few converts to this genre of music.

sci0n

Seriously though.......

What was with the psy ??
The majority of it was all kick bass and percussion , maybe a filtered, sweepy pad, then a build up, splash and then back into the kick bass and perc.
What the fuck? Where is the experimentation or innovation.

I took a friend to earthdance to experience some psy, she hadn't really heard anything but had been told of friends experiences ect and she walked away shaking her head, wondering why i'm so in love with this music.

I haven't listened to much psy lately, maybe this is why.

Dubstep is where it's at.

Pete_Paranoid

This event should of stopped as soon as violence started!
omnava25

S.E.T.H wrote :
There was an after party with some good dj's. Did anyone check that out and was that an aright event?

yeah, i went to some seedy club,(the bunker) and seen some cool acts, some d&b/ dubstep stuff at the start and upstairs near the balcony the two guys, one with the laptop and hardware device of somekind? and the other with the sax were totally awsome also nezbits set was cool.

pesky is pesky hehe
spangk

omnava25 wrote :
S.E.T.H wrote :
There was an after party with some good dj's. Did anyone check that out and was that an aright event?

and upstairs near the balcony the two guys, one with the laptop and hardware device of somekind?

I saw dudes a few weeks ago at a party in i think Alexandria/Waterloo a few weeks back. A dude mixing something, couldn't tell waht was going on there. AND playing trumpet i think with another on drums/bongos with drumstix. Was absolutely awesome fun to dance to. Instruments were subtle, not taking the lead and melded perfectly. basically funked some electro beats out loadssss. Would love to hear and see more of this going on.
bio[diversity]

spangk wrote :

Would love to hear and see more of this going on.

Absolutely !!

I was asked to play some world music, peace inspired tunes for the Closing Ceremony, supporting the live vocals and chanting from Carmella and her friends playing sitar and tabla. The audience were going to be the other instruments.

But.... on arriving after a quick final rehearsal on Saturday, the fun police stole our chance to add some meaning to this otherwise pretty ordinary kinda day.

Carmella was also booked for the Opening Ceremony, web cast live. However during the final sound check about ten minutes to nine, the drug dog apparently picked out her bag backstage. She was unceremoniously removed from the stage, searched for 20 minutes, they found nothing, zero, zilch, not a skerrick, but then it was too late to do the Opening.

So.. No Opening, No Closing. Lots of Fences, unnecessary angst and conflict.

In my opinion, totally disappointing.

At least the riot squad got another chance to play, pity more performers didn't.

:(

Give Peace a Chance.
bio[diversity]

spangk wrote :

Would love to hear and see more of this going on.

Absolutely !!

I was asked to play some world music, peace inspired tunes for the Closing Ceremony, supporting the live vocals and chanting from Carmella and her friends playing sitar and tabla. The audience were going to be the other instruments.

But.... on arriving after a quick final rehearsal on Saturday, the fun police stole our chance to add some meaning to this otherwise pretty ordinary kinda day.

Carmella was also booked for the Opening Ceremony, web cast live. However during the final sound check about ten minutes to nine, the drug dog apparently picked out her bag backstage. She was unceremoniously removed from the stage, searched for over 20 minutes, they found nothing, zero, zilch, not a skerrick, but then it was too late to do the Opening.

So.. No Opening, No Closing. Lots of Fences, unnecessary angst and conflict.

In my opinion, totally disappointing.

At least the riot squad got another chance to play, pity more performers didn't.

:(

Give Peace a Chance.

arcadian

nnnmm so desu na!

FeralBrown

sci0n wrote :

Dubstep is where it's at.

Welcome to the real world!

Pity it's taken everyone so fukn long!
:lol:

sci0n

^^
hehe, Yeah I know hey! All those years wasted!
I heard 26 basslines by benga and I was hooked.
Where can I find some dubstep in sydney?

-hi-jack- :gun: :explode:
120 posts Page 2 of 5