Sydney earthdance farce.

Party & Festival Reviews from around the country.
120 posts Page 3 of 5

FeralBrown

VOID at the Phoenix Bar for a regular fix, mate...

www.dubstep.com.au will keep you informed, as will I, if you follow the linkage in my sig... :)

It's a bit far removed from Sydney, but you're welcome to partake in any of our (WrongCrowd) parties... they're free and easy, and you will experience more left-field-bass-warpage than you can shake a stick at!

I'm just popping up a dubstep mix I've made to ease my boredom/recovery, too... hope you enjoy it!
:)

phoney

dubstep is all well & good for listening to, but not dancing to imo.

FeralBrown

I dunno... I find it to be quite hypnotic and trance inducing... it really depends on the DJ as to how listenable/danceable it all gets...
It lends itself quite nicely to chucking smatterings of glitches, breaks etc to, while still maintaining an easily manipulable underlying rhythm (much the same as the every-single-fukn-16th basslines that psytrancers enjoy so much)

if that makes sense... I've got lotsa painkillers in me atm...
:?

noitnemretsim

DubStep isnt too far removed from psytrance.

1. Its Psychedelic
2. Everyone loves that Phat sweet bass
2. Its around 144 Bpm
3. As a Genre it encompasses many sub-genres
4. Sounds better really loud outdoors
5. Goes great with Acid
6. Everyone tries to make it in fruityloops

D-Psyfa

Pete_Paranoid wrote :
This event should of stopped as soon as violence started!

There was actually no reports of violence inside the event. Police reports were very good and the Surry Hills Police were very happy with the way the punters behaved.

The violence that did occur was on the outside of the party and was created by disappointed punters who were turned away when the venue was at capacity.

Silly people trying to fight their way into a festival that that promotes peace??? As the park was at capacity, the police and security had no option but to deny entry. As there were thousands of people outside trying to use their numbers to force entry, the decison was made to switch the music off.

Plans will begin next month to ensure a better venue is used next year.

D-Psyfa

Following the debrief with Earthdance crew last night, here's a quick summary.....

*with only 7 weeks preparation, the crew have done an absoutely phenominal job at getting the festival to realisation for 2008!!!!

*Crowd very well behaved.

*Music received very well by festival goers

*Workshops, markets and community areas enjoyred by all involved

*Venue too small!!

*with only 7 weeks preparation, there was obvioulsy some areas that did not quite receive the attention they deserved. Many of these areas have been brought up in this forum, and like any humble operation, there is always room for improvement for future years. Crew have already presented some great ideas to implement. Confidence and motivation are running high knowing that we have a great team ready to make the most of our new venue for next year (wherever that may be??).

As you all know, this is a community run event and so feel free to get involved early for next year and help to make this your own festival.

sci0n

D-Psyfa wrote :
Pete_Paranoid wrote :
This event should of stopped as soon as violence started!

There was actually no reports of violence inside the event. Police reports were very good and the Surry Hills Police were very happy with the way the punters behaved.

The violence that did occur was on the outside of the party and was created by disappointed punters who were turned away when the venue was at capacity.

Silly people trying to fight their way into a festival that that promotes peace??? As the park was at capacity, the police and security had no option but to deny entry. As there were thousands of people outside trying to use their numbers to force entry, the decison was made to switch the music off.

Plans will begin next month to ensure a better venue is used next year.

I personally saw 2 fights, one was pretty full on, right next to the psy stage, outside the gate, and another fight which ended in a guy being handcuffed and dragged right thru the guts of the festival.

So, yeah there was violence inside the event. Without a doubt.

The bra boys were pelting bottles into the crowd at the end and two very rowdy bra boys were terrorising people all day.

I feel sorry for whoever it was who looked at those lads the wrong way in the city that night....... :banghead:

There is no sugar coating this. We acheived the exact opposite to what this festival stood for, good music or not.

herbsandspices

Did anyone see the dude get nailed by the cops for sniffing vicks?

Too bad if his hayfever was playing up.

E3po

yeah the 'lads' in all their glory were in fine form...

i personally saw one guy rolling around in the dirt handcuffed inside the venue, and shit loads of fights on the perimeter outside.. I actually recall hearing some dick say "fuck yeah we got ourselves another cronulla in the works".

Switching the music off without explanation seemed to create a fair bit of tension, but i guess its understandable if people were trying to get in and being refused entry due to max capacity (but seriously was anyone surprised that venue reached full capacity>?)

In my perspective this was a way for the authorities to put a few nails in the sydney ED coffin...

Would have been mighty interesting to see what would have happened if the music kept going till 6 and removing people from the venue and outscirts had to happen under the cover of dusk/night fall....

All in all id say the organisers did a great job with what they had, but sadly the vibe and outcome was anything but 'conscious, proactive and positive'.

the freaks boxed into the corner definatly made my short stay worthwhile, although again i am reminded not to get my hopes up for sydney gigs.

good luck with squeezing more freedom of movement out of the powers that be next year.

Howsabout a paid event for the wknd somewhere out of the city ala SEQ ED ?

OR working with state forests ala byron ED?

just some thoughts given that this framework obviously isnt in alignment with the goals of the global ED movement.

tripn

who the fuck are these "lads" and where are they from?

noitnemretsim

tripn wrote :

Ladkemba? Ladverpool?

tripn

are they lebs? doesnt sound like something the lebs would call themselves. unless it was short for the "fully sick lads".

MeowTron

ok so all this takes is for us this community to band together and bring this back to what it was supposed to be about it could be the one free party a year where all crews get together and donate whatever they can and do this properly. or like alexup was saying to me the other day we could charge an entry and donate the cash to a charity. my point is that there is enough of us who think it's fucked so lets fix it together......we have the technology

noitnemretsim

MeowTron wrote :
ok so all this takes is for us this community to band together and bring this back to what it was supposed to be about it could be the one free party a year where all crews get together and donate whatever they can and do this properly. or like alexup was saying to me the other day we could charge an entry and donate the cash to a charity. my point is that there is enough of us who think it's fucked so lets fix it together......we have the technology

I'll bring the rainbows.

herbsandspices

Was looking at vids from ED capetown. Wow.

phoney

tripn wrote :

Similar to chavs in the UK.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=lads

psy*clone

tripn wrote :

you'll see them wherever there's an opportunity for petty crime. the uniform consists of short shorts (well above the knee), polo shirts, little caps tilted way back over the back of the head, runners, and a bad posture.

they behave like a cancer, and pretty much don't look any prettier than cancer.

their idea of a good night is "rollin'" in large numbers and beating up on ppl on their own for their personal posessions, and doing really bad graffiti.

these people breeding create more and more of a burden on the department of community services.
Last edited by psy*clone on Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

raptor

herbsandspices wrote :
Did anyone see the dude get nailed by the cops for sniffing vicks?

Too bad if his hayfever was playing up.

lol for real? the dude n cops ran right past me and he got nailed...one cop dropped the knee bigtime! he should join the WWF.. it was all pretty hectic there for a while.

Amber

Kinda glad I didn't bring the little one.... She is chaos enough without all these kinda shenanigans!!! :D

Mk1

I can see that by having a free event makes for a bigger crowd, and that the more people to embrace this concept the better, but unfortunately it fell on deaf ears.

An entry fee is a great soloution to many of the problems faced by the type of people that were attracted to this event.
People tend to respect things more if they have to pay for them, rather than if they get it given for free.

ketamind

FeralBrown wrote :
sci0n wrote :

Dubstep is where it's at.

Welcome to the real world!

Pity it's taken everyone so fukn long!
:lol:

:D

I had fun playing that kind of action at earthdance
and had a fun day after..

peace

tract

SCOTTY! SCOTTY! SCOTTY! SCOTTY!

Hey maybe Earthdance and DSS should combine next year, both crews seem to have something in common!

Too funny.

:mrgreen:

omnava25

sci0n wrote :
^^
hehe, Yeah I know hey! All those years wasted!
I heard 26 basslines by benga and I was hooked.
Where can I find some dubstep in sydney?

-hi-jack- :gun: :explode:
fuck yeah! dubstep rules, so hard to write though:)

tripn

phoney wrote :
Similar to chavs in the UK.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=lads

lol. sounds like theyve been watching too much clockwork orange.

psy*clone wrote :

you'll see them wherever there's an opportunity for petty crime. the uniform consists of short shorts (well above the knee), polo shirts, little caps tilted way back over the back of the head, runners, and a bad posture.

they behave like a cancer, and pretty much don't look any prettier than cancer.

their idea of a good night is "rollin'" in large numbers and beating up on ppl on their own for their personal posessions, and doing really bad graffiti.

these people breeding create more and more of a burden on the department of community services.

but are they from rich parents or are they ghetto kids?

FeralBrown

omnava25 wrote :
sci0n wrote :
^^
hehe, Yeah I know hey! All those years wasted!
I heard 26 basslines by benga and I was hooked.
Where can I find some dubstep in sydney?

-hi-jack- :gun: :explode:
fuck yeah! dubstep rules, so hard to write though:)

*handy hint* make several versions of EVERYTHING, and assign an instance of *almost* everything to LPF and LFOs to Filter cutoffs... and don't get carried away with trying to make it too deep. :)
Have fun wobbling!
120 posts Page 3 of 5