[VIC] Rainbow Serpent Festival

Party & Festival Reviews from around the country.
33 posts Page 1 of 2
gher

I must have been the first Sydney person to get home or something, because I left before most people had woken up this morning. Anyway, I was having a lousy time for the first half of the festival due to issues with the (now ex) girlfriend. After that was resolved, I had a blast! I spent most of my time at the Market Stage. It was fairly consistently good around the clock except for a couple of minimal sets here and there but only because I don't like minimal.

Highlights:
Deadbeat - Decided to check him out even though he's playing at Void. Real nice moody dub. Not particularly heavy but still groovy. I think I'll be seeing him again.

Bassnectar - This guy plays some of the most unique dubstep I've ever heard. Very hip hop-y. I'm surprised Void hasn't picked this guy up yet but it seems that he's playing at the Loft on Thursday.

Mustaphaa - Ok so I did something naughty around midnight that may have affected my perceptions of this guy, but I've never had my head fucked with by a DJ set as much as that.

The UFO - I saw a big bright orange light in the sky towards the end of Mustaphaa's set. It flew straight over the festival, did a few zig zags and faded out of sight. Must have been flying the same height as a plane but it didn't make any noise. I pointed it out to a dozen or so people and they all saw it too. Apparently it was around on Thursday night. Anyone else see it?

Green Nuns - I remember them being one of the better psy acts but they were on at the time I was having girlfriend problems so I didn't enjoy them as much as I really should have.

Reality Pixie - I think I was on the verge of unconsciousness but I remember the set being really good.

The rest is a bit of a blur. I'm sure I'll remember it.

The Journey Man Project

Sounds interesting... any more info on the Green Nuns live?

tripn

The Journey Man Project wrote :

Green nuns set was the best thing i have seen in a very long time both musically and performance wise. pure acid drenched goa melodies and layers upon layers of inspiring synths, pads and twisted samples. the performace incorporated live guitar and drumming also which fit in well with the 303's. so good to dance to some goa on a massive sound system for once. they have not sold out in anyway these guys and are probably my new favourite act next to hallucinogen. dick trevors dj set was also brilliant. great selection of non cheesy fullon tracks.

Phsiris

I missed green nuns and cosm which was a shame. but i saw everything else at the festival that i wanted to see.

wicked experience. so many cool people and so much cool music.

highlights for me was bassnectar, spoonbill, grouch and reality pixie. Cant wait till next year. :)

gher

I kind of felt that their morning offerings were a bit lacking. After the sunrise sets, the energy just completely disappeared. I think Sensient was the one I was paying attention to the most and even though his set was quite good, I feel that it should have been an hour or so later. Maybe it's a Sydney thing to have blistering full-on from sunrise until almost noon before tapering it off instead of easing off for a few hours before picking it back up around noon. It was too bloody hot in the tent to sleep at that time.

The Journey Man Project

tripn wrote :

Green nuns set was the best thing i have seen in a very long time both musically and performance wise. pure acid drenched goa melodies and layers upon layers of inspiring synths, pads and twisted samples. the performace incorporated live guitar and drumming also which fit in well with the 303's. so good to dance to some goa on a massive sound system for once. they have not sold out in anyway these guys and are probably my new favourite act next to hallucinogen. dick trevors dj set was also brilliant. great selection of non cheesy fullon tracks.

cheers mate, sounds as good as when I saw them back in the 90's! Wish they'd put out an updated version of RBM or a new album 8) Surely they know it would sell in milliseconds :lol:
VIRUS INSTALLER

Hey,

I havent posted on here before, but i have been reading for a few years. Live in the gong, hang at the sydney parties. My group and I camped up on the hill pretty much right under the bright strobe light beacon. You couldnt miss it. People were saying it actually did come in handy. UFO's were sending signals "Hey thanks for the help finding the party we were really lost for a while back there."

My weekend was totally awesome. But I have to get one complain out first.

To all the SO CALLED HIPPIES OUT THERE who left there rubbish at there campsite. Couldnt be bothered to take it to the skip bins, THAT IS ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING. My group may not have dreadlocks and vegetable gardens (ok most have vege gardens) but we can clean up after ourselves, right up to the last cable tie AND make our friends that smoke pick up all the cigarette butts and take them to the bins provided (even if they did argue about it in the end they did it). It is true that the RSF crew did not provide enough skip bins, the bins were all overloaded before Tues, those bins are supposed to be filled to a line and no further, all were far beyond capacity. Seeing this the RSF crew would have surely realised they would have a large scale clean up on there hands. More bins would be needed. Lessons learned for RSF crew.
So with not enough bin space why not make it easier for everyone and place the rubbish next to a bin? Plenty of people did manage to work that out for themselves. Saving hours of work of crew and volunteers. Before leaving early Tues morning there were volunteers picking up other peoples rubbish a few near our camp site. You all should be honoured. The same to all the other people out there that volunteered there time to the community the entire weekend.

My highlights,
Setting up a very large tarp in the high 60-90km winds early thurs morning. It was actually a much better idea to drink fresh beer under a small tarp than to struggle with the might of mother nature till she decided to sleep.
Fri nights music from 12 till dawn, I hung at the market stage, no hightlights. It was all very excellent. Nearly even TOO GOOD! It nearly broke me. Congrats to all.

Pool party was fun and refreshing the weather wasnt to hot either. Music was right for the time. Great!
Both Sat/Sun afternoon/evenings around the market stage a place everyone knows that fun rules. Awesome vibes around that time.
Slept Sat and got up on day break for Wrecked Machines all the way till tetrameth. I thought the music was good. Dont know much of there music hough, but it kept me moving. Hung all night at the bus on Sunday and Alex up in the morning. Without having to dig out my timetable the entire nights music was great and spooky.

My third consecutive rainbow was amazing, took some first timer girls (the Rookies), they loved every minute.
To all the people that make it happen I thank you from the deepest places of my heart.

Regen Greg, Michael and Meow Ice Coffee Baileys was a great idea!
See ya round like a record sucker!
reik

Lots of fun and buffoonery was had by our crew, it was a reunion for us...good friends who hadn't partied together for many many years.

VIRUS INSTALLER wrote :
My group and I camped up on the hill pretty much right under the bright strobe light beacon. You couldnt miss it.

We were the next group over from you guys and the beacon was a perfect landmark for our weary eyes and twisted minds.

seraphine_kitten

Wow.

That was my first Rainbow and it won't be my last!

Highlights were:

Bass Nectars afternoon set.

Absolutely amazing and the energy on the dancefloor was great.

Alex
Reality pixie
Talpa

All one great cosmic blur of uplifting in your face energy.
Despite the cold and the mix up with set times it was definately one of my favourite combination of acts in a row.

Spewing that I missed out on Green Nuns though...

Next year I think all the Sydney/ Newy Crew should camp together...
It could be heaps of fun

:)

rollyz

Just got home.... can anyone explain what monday was all about? :twisted: I lost my brain in there somewhere.... more latar when i buy a new brain from Aldi.

gher

Monday is trash day. Everyone who isn't leaving is drinking the rest of their alcohol, smoking the rest of their wackytobaccy and consuming everything they have left so they don't have to carry it around. At least it was for me before I decided to have a 12 hour sleep at 6pm.

TBang

Yaaaaaaa

Now I know what everyone is always going on about. The Drumming Monkeys are funny as.

Did Domestic through to SFX VS teM. Was frigging solid as.

My first rb as I always have had work. healing, growing and learning (and heaps of dancing).

kathmandu

cheers mate, sounds as good as when I saw them back in the 90's! Wish they'd put out an updated version of RBM or a new album Surely they know it would sell in milliseconds

A new album?
Matt from the Nuns stated as a comment on their "Rock Bitch" video on Youtube

"Promised ourselves we'd make a new album if the video got viewed 100,00 times !
matt C ( The nuns )"

85,000 clicks till now.

taken from link

The Journey Man Project

Would be nice... CLICK PEOPLE CLICK!

wonder if they still have all those old synth sin working order or if they will go the way of Transwave n' Astral and make Crap On... aka Full On :lol:
narcosis

I think the Nuns were the best show (together with Ido Ophir main stage act)

Check out this link - loaded about 5 min of the Nuns live show at Rainbow 2009

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=pYttmiYG014

briandubb

For the record, the Inaugural Rainbow Serpent Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Camp Site Shenanigans was awarded. The trophy was a much coveted pair of purple terry toweling shorts.

The award ceremony was a lovely affair on the banks of the Murray, followed by the annual swim back into NSW.
The Journey Man Project

narcosis wrote :
I think the Nuns were the best show (together with Ido Ophir main stage act)

Check out this link - loaded about 5 min of the Nuns live show at Rainbow 2009

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=pYttmiYG014

Ugh :cry: looks awesome!

D-ANgel and Elliott

Yet again a wickedly perfect rainbow fest but oh so much more fun....... :D

Crazy times :P , beautiful freaks :twisted: and music to *tickle* the senses! :)*

Our camp was mammoth and we loved having all the random visitors who came for a dip in the pool, a laze at the several gazbos and a venture thru our dusty cave forest*

The morning of Tetrameth and Shadow FX was just lush and to see those two bounce off each other and enjoy their work was magical bits! :) They are the MOST AmAzInG act ever and mix juicy sounds and tribal beats to perfection....mmmmmmMMMm! :)****** Running around and dancing for hours as zena for the day was fun! Thanks for the dance Rosey! ****

Other ooba phat acts were spoonbill, green nuns, wild marmelade (pity no african drums like usual) and bass nectar >spin pop wobble wobble<

:idea: "Times full of colour surrounded with wonder*souls entertwined while busting a funk to delicious tunes that were nectar for the body*moments of spinning out of control with explosions of electricty to awaken my belly roar*Dancing till skin was jiucy and mind in stars."
:idea:
Lix, vibes and RARRS to the many people who joined our camp island, the lush shop lady for giving us sparklie stuff, all the smiles and giggles and for making the week and a half stay lush beyond imagination**

Until next year.....or hopefully we will see you at PSYFARI!!!!**** >:)<

kathmandu

RSF is magna opera of Australian psytrance.

On the first night, Music wise, Raptor's was the only set I liked and could dance crazy.
Then well organised from my side this Rainbow, I caught up all the acts I wanted to see. Along with Loopus, Talpa and the act I had been wishing to see from yonks
'The Green Nuns of Revolution.' Image
minimal early afternoon of Monday brought out so much love in the heart and that kind of music only sounds good at Rainbow, i think.

e_GOD

Hey, how lucky that the heat wave now wasn't a few days earlier? Seriously this coupled with the dust ( ok it sounds a bit lame) but my partner and I settled more for the pleasures of the sea breeze and cool waves of Northern NSW. There has been a bit of talk changing the day of Australia day because for many indigenous people believe it celebrates INVASION DAY. So to think that opening ceremony takes such significance to people going to Rainbow. There is a thought to ponder.

It is fairly normal for Countries to have their public holidays stacked around the summer. This actually suites business in the sense that many parents will take time off to be with their kids and business goes into the break slow down period. Less disruptions for schools etc . Though Australia Day is at the very end of the school holidays for many in the Country. Personally I like to see more public holidays in Spring and Autumn and less in Summer. Like Easter is great and suites The Blues and Roots Festival in Byron Bay nicely for climate temp.

So what has this to do with Rainbow? There has been a big significant change to big festival scene in Vic. A window has opened and wait for it
WHAT DO PEOPLE THINK OF THE IDEA , THAT RAINBOW SERPENT FESTIVAL IS MOVED INTO THE VACANT SLOT OF BEING THE FESTIVAL THAT BRINGS US INTO SUMMER ? I thought I keep that discreet without saying the obvious. Wondering if whisperings have actually begun?

gher

That's a terrible idea. It would be a day shorter because it wouldn't be a long weekend.
DECRION DEE

reik wrote :
Lots of fun and buffoonery was had by our crew, it was a reunion for us...good friends who hadn't partied together for many many years.

VIRUS INSTALLER wrote :
My group and I camped up on the hill pretty much right under the bright strobe light beacon. You couldnt miss it.

We were the next group over from you guys and the beacon was a perfect landmark for our weary eyes and twisted minds.

Cool hope it was not to bright as next years will be even bigger!

Highlight for me were ketamind on Sunday night, he is nuts!

And yes it really was fucked to see all that rubbish everyware as I left on Tuesday. Shame shame shame.

e_GOD

gher wrote :
That's a terrible idea. It would be a day shorter because it wouldn't be a long weekend.
:D need to think of what holiday could be moved to a date closer to summer and petition the Gov . maybe :lol:

I see a potential for greater numbers as it becomes before the financial stress of xmas and people hang out for a big festi during the winter. Erm Rainbow is business don't forget and the promoters are in to make money. It then won't clash with BDO Melbourne. But if Rainbow doesn't move, I have a hunch it could be on the cards for Maitreya.

venatrix

e_GOD wrote :
So what has this to do with Rainbow?

Nothing because this is a review thread. Post in the Psytrance Discussion section.

e_GOD

venatrix wrote :
e_GOD wrote :
So what has this to do with Rainbow?

Nothing because this is a review thread. Post in the Psytrance Discussion section.
My apologies, no disrespect to you. I'm wondering if you are a forum mod on this forum? Who are they?
33 posts Page 1 of 2